PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical healing?

Anaesthesia
07-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm doing a low magic/Dark fantasy game (Black Company Campaign)-we had our 2nd official session about 2 weeks ago.

One major problem is the healing. Our current Academician/Physician is the only healer in the party (Unfortunately most of the time she heals less than 5 hp, although she tries real hard to heal them. I believe there is an improved healing type feat in the book-so I will suggest to her to take it). Last session 2 out 3 fighters got hit by a couple of Wereleopards-one of them contracted the lycantrophy.

So wondering if there are any suggestions for alchemical healing of any kind? I don't have the Magic Item compendium (but one of my players does)-so I don't know if there is anything referenced in there about alchemical stuff, especially stuff for healing. I know the party will be asking next time on how to heal the fighter with the lycantrophy.

Anything useful will be appreciated (including anything homebrewy)..:)

MortonStromgal
07-01-2011, 05:21 PM
You could add the Cure Spells as Heal Check abilities, Just set some DCs and possibly how much time between checks. You may have to adjust until you get the feel you want. Or what I like even better is increase the over night healing from character level to 1/4 of your max HP or 1/2 HP with successful heal check.

Anaesthesia
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Morton, the check before sleep is an interesting idea. The way the rules (in this particular campaign setting) are depending on how high the PC rolls for her heal check, she is allowed a particular die roll, I believe its something like between 1d2 and a 1d8, although I'm not looking at my book (or if she rolls low, none at all).

rabkala
07-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't know of anything alchemical that can stop lycantrophy, off the top of my head. You could possibly create something for your world, since it is a low magic world. There are various healing salves that cure normal damage. Most cure 1d8 points of damage, though there could be more potent mixtures in your world.

A helpful resource
(While it deals with The Realms, it could be a good place to look for inspiration.) :
http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/alchemy.shtml

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Belladonna?!? Curing Lycanthropy An afflicted character who eats a sprig of belladonna (also called wolfsbane) within 1 hour of a lycanthrope’s attack can attempt a DC (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:DC) 20 Fortitude save (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Saving_Throw) to shake off the affliction. If a healer administers the herb, use the character’s save bonus or the healer’s Heal (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Heal_Skill) modifier, whichever is higher. The character gets only one chance, no matter how much belladonna is consumed. The belladonna must be reasonably fresh (picked within the last week).
However, fresh or not, belladonna is toxic. The character must succeed on a DC (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:DC) 13 Fortitude save (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Saving_Throw) or take 1d6 points of Strength (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Strength) damage. One minute later, the character must succeed on a second DC (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:DC) 13 save or take an additional 2d6 points of Strength (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Strength) damage. erhaps

cplmac
07-03-2011, 02:33 PM
To expand on rabkala's post above, what if belladonna were used when making a healing potion. Of course, there may be some substancial cost to obtain said healing potion that cures lycanthropy. This would then basically take it out of the magic area and place it in herbalism. Not to mention that it is now in the hands of healers. If the party can't afford the healing potion, they could be offered the potion in exchange for undertaking a job for the healer (say going to the only place that belladonna can be found and is a perilous journey to get to and back). Just a thought.

BTW, thanks rabkala, for the info that had this idea spring into my brain.

Anaesthesia
07-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Belladonna as a healing potion is an interesting idea. If I bang out something for it, I'll post it here.

Also do you guys think it would be beneficial to have a "Greater Healing Salve or Potion" that would deal slightly greater healing than the salve that rabkala's link pointed to? For instance an additional 1d8?

cplmac
07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I believe that the Greater Healing Salve/Potion that does additional healing (the 1d8 or even more) is exactly what rabkala meant in his post.

Anaesthesia
07-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, the one in the link says is just a Healing Salve and heals 1d8 and you can reapply, as long as you have potions, and gain the extra 1d8 each time you reapply.

I meant if you had only one healing potion that could heal greater than 1d8 at one time. (with no other applications of the same/similar potion).

I know it sounds confusing. :-/

rabkala
07-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes! An oingntment that deals 2d8 (3d8 or even 4d8) would be great, especially as the players get toward higher levels. If the bad guy averages 30 or 40 hp damage a whack, a salve that only cures 1d8 becomes almost useless in battle.

cplmac's idea about the Belladonna would be a great addition to any low magic world! You could probably extend or intensify numerous other herbal remedies that way.

Malruhn
07-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I once played in a campaign where one of the PC's got bitten. It cost most of our money to research the cure, and it was simple - tie the stricken with silver chains on the first night of the full moon - and dose him/her with belladonna. It was guaranteed to work - BUT, it required multiple saves versus poison (1/2nd editions). It was mandated that you roll TWELVE saves - if you make it, you were fine - if not, you lost ONE point of CON per failed save. Yes, it was quite possible to lose TWELVE points of constitution in this endeavor.

It made for an amazing session, and we were terrified (we didn't know at the time that the cure was guaranteed). My character only lost four points of CON.

For a low magic world, I recommend something like this. It was particularly cool. It also opens the possibility of an adventure hook to find a "cure" for the lost constitution points!!

templeorder
07-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Definitely introduce botany. Lots of suggestions above... but theres plenty of healing opportunities in local areas. Midwives will have poultices, gypsy woman may sell a cure... the old "witch in the woods" (read 'herbal healer') can have a concoction that gives a resistance check... create some interesting minor role playing opportunities around it.. as well as maybe some interesting ways to part the PC's of their hard earned money.

Anaesthesia
07-05-2011, 12:44 PM
@Malruhn-that sounds interesting..

@Temple-I believe the one healer in the party might have Profession (Herbalist). In any case they were hired a couple of sessions ago by a Herbalist, so I think eventually they'll be knocking on her door. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Something I was thinking about since I've been reading Dragonlance (again).

Healing Tea
A collection of herbs are boiled into a tea. This cures 1d4 points of damage. It can also assist the healing of minor coughs, or illnesses, and can shorten some illnesses (such as a cold or flu) by 2d6 days. If administered by a healer it can cure 1d6 points, and can shorten illnesses by 1d6 days.
Creation: Profession (Herbalist) DC 15, 20 gp (to buy the herbs, if in a town)

Pestilence
08-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Raistlin's tea is really just a cough supressant, and man can I tell you it smells and tastes pretty foul. The reactions from yhe characters in the books is spot on. If you are wondering how I know you should pick up Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home, it contains many recipes from the Dragonlance setting including the tea. The main ingrediant in the tea is colt's foot, an herb that soothes your throat and supresses coughing.

I always found something pointy made of silver to be a good cure for lycanthropy. Seriously though, in the campaigns I've been in there were never any relatively easy cures for it. Each time someone became infected it usually became a mind bending quest that killed half the party to get it.

DMMike
08-22-2011, 11:08 AM
It made for an amazing session, and we were terrified (we didn't know at the time that the cure was guaranteed).

Music to a DM's ears.

Low magic/dark fantasy sounds like a genre that should benefit from serious Player injuries. The old-fashioned ways to prevent damage: pick your fights carefully and when injured, limp back to a village with a warm bed and decent food. Remain until combat-ready.

Metagame: try to tailor your enemy damage based on how much healing the PCs can do or are willing to do. If the PCs can't heal much, don't let the bad guys do too much damage.

Alchemical (thread topic): there's a holy spring near the local settlement, which doesn't produce water that actually heals. However, the evil tribe that roams the wildlands coats their faces with a special fungal-mask, which becomes a healing potion when you combine it with the holy water. The tribesmen don't give up the fungus until their heads are cut off.