PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start up a game in the west San Fernando Valley on Sundays

roninkelt
06-30-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm looking to start a new game on alternate Sundays in the Valley. Genre, system and all details will depend on who is interested.

I am willing to run or play and can host games at my house.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining up or just want to hear more.

Dave

ronin1274
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Dave I'm the SFV and I'm interested !!

Noel

Repairman Jack
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey Dave,

I'm interested. I live in Canoga Park and can also host. I'm currently DMing another group right now, so I'm more interested in playing. But I can DM when that game takes a break.

John

Shabula
07-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Hey Dave!

I'm in Simi and would like to hear more about what is going on. If you end up hosting sessions at your house it will make commuting easy for me. I'm inexperienced with the game so I'd prefer to be a player. Would anyone be interested in D&D Forgotten Realms 3.5?

-Joel

roninkelt
07-02-2011, 06:13 PM
What kind of games are y'all interested in - storytelling, dungeon crawl, short or long term campaign, episodic or some other option? It is nice to have an option for hosting as well (hat tip to Repairman Jack).

We have one vote for 3.5 Forgotten Realms - I don't know much about the Realms so wouldn't be much for running, but would be willing to play.

I also have the Pathfinder stuff or we could get away from d20 altogether and do Burning Wheel, The Riddle of Steel or Burning Empires just to mention a few options.

As a first step I'd suggest that we get together for a meet and greet to discuss things face to face. If anyone is available this weekend (july 2,3,4) post here and perhaps we can do that. I'm available this evening or tomorrow and monday during the day.

Dave

PS - I have 3 rather large dogs at my place, should we end up playing here please keep that in mind. I hope no one is afraid of dogs or allergic.

FaveDave
07-03-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm interested. Coupla questions:

-- do you have air conditioning in the Valley there? Otherwise it's going to be unbearable. Yes, I'm a wuss.

-- What do you mean by 75% roleplaying? Does this mean you spend a lot of time bargaining with merchants to buy food for every day? I can't play a game where you keep track of food, unless you're going through the desert or something. If that's what people play that's cool. But it's not for me. I was in a game and they spent 45 freaking minutes every session bargaining and buying food. There's a reason all the RPG books have pictures of ACTION on the cover. They're not going to sell a lot of books showing adventurers in a medieval version of Walmart buying supplies.

-- Ditto with keeping track of spell components (unless they're super expensive.) Life is too short.

-- Does the DM impose their own particular sense of right and wrong on the players? I was playing a neutral conjurer, and I'd summon an evil critter to help us fight another evil critter. The DM said every time I did that my own alignment turned a little more evil. Even when I summoned it to save orphans from a burning building. Literally! I actually did that and he said I was turning evil. That game fell apart when everyone left because he was so heavy handed. (He also wore a Sarah Palin t-shirt once, so we're not dealing with an individual capable of higher reasoning here.)

I'm very willing to play along with almost anything, but the things I listed above are things that ruined the game for me. So I figured I'd save everyone time and list the things that would rule me out of your game.

Basically I like to have fun, I really enjoy teamwork (so no evil characters in the party), and I like a game more about the storytelling and strategic experience rather than the bookkeeping of how much beef jerky you have in your pack.

If that's your philosophy, too, then count me in as long as it's not D&D of any edition. I play Pathfinder. And I'm happy to try anything else that's fun. (Once you play Pathfinder, it's really hard to go back to D&D 3.5. And it's impossible to go to 4E.)

Repairman Jack
07-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't have AC at this time, so my house may not be the best for the summer.

I am most interested in Forgotten Realms 3.5. I have some older Pathfinder stuff, but never really got into the RPG.

I don't care about dogs. I have an extremely hostile cat, whom I lock up when I have visitors.

I would also like to get together for a meeting. The fourth is good for me, or anytime really. Best way to reach me is by phone 818-216-5418.

roninkelt
07-04-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm interested. Coupla questions:

-- do you have air conditioning in the Valley there? Otherwise it's going to be unbearable. Yes, I'm a wuss.

Yes, I have AC at my place and use it on a regular basis. The West Valley gets unbearably hot without it. we can also take a cooling dip in the pool during a break.

-- What do you mean by 75% roleplaying? Does this mean you spend a lot of time bargaining with merchants to buy food for every day? I can't play a game where you keep track of food, unless you're going through the desert or something. If that's what people play that's cool. But it's not for me. I was in a game and they spent 45 freaking minutes every session bargaining and buying food. There's a reason all the RPG books have pictures of ACTION on the cover. They're not going to sell a lot of books showing adventurers in a medieval version of Walmart buying supplies.

-- Ditto with keeping track of spell components (unless they're super expensive.) Life is too short.

I don't do 'day in the life of' games. If it isn't interesting to me or doesn't move the story forward, it gets taken care of off board. 75% roleplay means that interactions between the players matter, and interactions with the NPC's matter. The world is alive around the players and carries on with it's business whether you choose to take part or not. I will only rarely force someone to take care of logistics during game time and only if there is something else important to be gained by doing so. As you said, there isn't time to squander on trivial or unimportant things.

-- Does the DM impose their own particular sense of right and wrong on the players? I was playing a neutral conjurer, and I'd summon an evil critter to help us fight another evil critter. The DM said every time I did that my own alignment turned a little more evil. Even when I summoned it to save orphans from a burning building. Literally! I actually did that and he said I was turning evil. That game fell apart when everyone left because he was so heavy handed. (He also wore a Sarah Palin t-shirt once, so we're not dealing with an individual capable of higher reasoning here.)

Alignment is almost non existant in most games that I run. I don't impose a code of morality on any player that doesn't select one of their own. That being said, I hold those who choose to have a moral code as part of their character to that code. Paladins for example will have to make choices that may affect their standing. Clerics will have to carry out the precepts of their patron. As in reality, most people are a mix of good and bad. To carry on with the example you gave above, your character may be rewarded for the good deed he did, while at the same time being shunned out of fear by many npc's for the method being used. I am a firm believer that with power comes responsibility and consequences, both good and bad.

I'm very willing to play along with almost anything, but the things I listed above are things that ruined the game for me. So I figured I'd save everyone time and list the things that would rule me out of your game.

Basically I like to have fun, I really enjoy teamwork (so no evil characters in the party), and I like a game more about the storytelling and strategic experience rather than the bookkeeping of how much beef jerky you have in your pack.

If that's your philosophy, too, then count me in as long as it's not D&D of any edition. I play Pathfinder. And I'm happy to try anything else that's fun. (Once you play Pathfinder, it's really hard to go back to D&D 3.5. And it's impossible to go to 4E.)

I think that we will have no problems, since my main goal is to have fun as well.

I'd be willing to run a 3.5 game as long as we graft some of the pathfinder rules on (cmb/cmd for example), but would prefer to run a pathfinder game if we do end up doing a d20 game. d20 is not the only option for fantasy roleplaying however.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

BTW - if anyone wants to chat, I'm available via aim or yahoo - just click the links under my header blurb and I'll answer if I'm there.

roninkelt
07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Further addendum - Repairman Jack and I are meeting at noon on monday. Country Deli at Lassen and Topanga. I'll have my Raiders ball cap sitting on the table.

FaveDave
07-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Further addendum - Repairman Jack and I are meeting at noon on monday. Country Deli at Lassen and Topanga. I'll have my Raiders ball cap sitting on the table.

I wish I could make it. I have too much work to do today :(

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Thanks for answering all my questions. I figured I would let you know my style, because basic differences in the philosophy of roleplaying make for an unhappy game.

The way you play sounds great to me! I'd love to meet sometime, or figure out a schedule and just go for it. I'm reluctant to try a new RPG system because I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new books for a game I may or may not end up playing in the future. (I have way too many books). But if you have something that's available on pdf, I'd love to read it.

I'm so glad you have A/C!

And I love dogs!

roninkelt
07-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Had a great lunch with Repairman Jack and think that the two of us are on the same page. Hope to be able to do the same with everyone else interested over the next week or two.

I don't expect anyone to buy a new set of books for anything we might play. If it is a new or unusual system, I either have pdf or multiple paper copies of the game.

As far as schedule goes - I'm out for this coming sunday (the 10th) but would be up for a game on the 17th. Would like to meet everyone interested in participating before then in any case. Please write, call or text me at 818 975 0490 to let me know when would be a good evening to meet, we can do it one at a time or have a group get together if the schedules work out. I'm available after about 7pm during the week.

Dave

ronin1274
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey Dave,

Sounds great man...

I live in the Van Nuys area but work in Westlake Village so if you want to meet up sometime after work one day let me know...

By the way if we play pathfrinder what level do you think we'd start at?

roninkelt
07-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I like to start games at the beginning and build from there. 1st level.

roninkelt
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Was very nice to meet the other ronin last night. Think we have an excellent group growing here. I'd like to propose the 17th of July for our first game. Need to meet with everyone before then and would prefer to do it this week so I have time to plan.

roninkelt
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know that I'm on for starting to play this sunday at 2pm. Due to the circumstances of one of our players, I think that I'll probably start with a very short term campaign arc that will last approximately 3 sessions. I'll also be starting a campaign web site, wiki and mailing list in the near future, for the moment, please consider this thread the official news and communication channel.

Please respond if you are available for Sunday the 17th at 2pm.

Dave

PS - here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6) is the 3.5e to Pathfinder conversion guide.

Repairman Jack
07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey Dave,

I'm available. What are the particulars of the game?

John

FaveDave
07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
So, where is the game on Sunday? It's carmaggedon day, so that may affect attendance.

roninkelt
07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
For those whom I have sent maps to - you may be better off using the 118 rather than the 101 since this weekend is 'carmageddon' on the 405.

Anyone who hasn't gotten a map yet, please contact me before saturday to get in on the game.

Dave

roninkelt
07-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks all, for an excellent first game. Look forward to seeing everyone again on the 31st. If you want to give character burning a try here is the site to use - http://bwcharburner.appspot.com/ contact me off list for username and password info.

roninkelt
07-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Vote: Do you want to continue the Burning Wheel game on sunday or jump to a sci fi game for my second session?

second question: I'm setting up a web site and mailing list for the group, what would you like our name to be?

Repairman Jack
07-26-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm open for either option, though the sci-fi game sounds more interesting. What are the specifics of the game?

As for the name of the group. I like: The Group with No Name; or The Uninvited Gamers.

John

roninkelt
08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
This round of Burning Wheel (http://wiki.burningwheel.org/) is complete, now we'll be moving on to a round of Damon's Eclipse Phase (http://eclipsephase.com/) game. I'm also putting together a web site (http://sites.google.com/site/whxgamers).

roninkelt
08-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Still looking for a couple of players for this game on alternate sundays. Next game is this sunday the 28th of August. Contact me via PM (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=3695) or post here and I'll send you details. The current game is Eclipse Phase.
(http://eclipsephase.com/)

roninkelt
09-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Using meetup to coordinate rsvp's -

http://www.meetup.com/DnDValley/events/34941752/