PDA

View Full Version : Trying to run a low-powered Supers! game

novaexpress
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I'm reading Who are the mystery men? (a 5 issues comic book - don't know if I can tell the name of the editor on this forum, or if it's against the rules).
And I'd like to run some scenarios in the Pulp era.
However, I find the powers to be too powerful for the kind of game I'd like to play.
Especially, powers like Super strength, super speed...

Do you recommend me to give less than 20D (or less than 12D to allocate to the powers) at the creation?
Or to rewrite some powers to re-evaluate them? I mean changing the scale between the number of dice and their effects.
Or maybe Supers! is simply not made to play low-powered game?

ReaperWolf
06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I'd go with fewer dice and I'd probably scale back the game effects of superstrength, superspeed, etc.

Also, since superpowered characters are rarer in the pulps you might want to implement a Pulp Power Ad allowing characters to take the pulp super powers.

>>ReaperWolf

novaexpress
06-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you for your answer.
By Pulp Power ad and pulp super powers, you mean authorising players to have pulp genre characters, but wiht classic superheroes powers?
If so, it wouldn't be pulp anymore. Possibly, a crossroad between pulp and beginning of the golden age. Which changes a lot the flavour of the game I'm intending to create.
On the other side, if I re-scale (?) some of the powers, I'd have as well to forbid others (like energy control, energy form, duplicate, etc.) - or maybe, to authorise them, but through the use of devices and gadgets.