PDA

View Full Version : Put on the spot

Dorrin
06-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Okay, I have posted here a few times to pretty much say how my dm has been having issues with certain things, I have been slowly working on getting some stuff put together as I had in the past told the group that I would take over once the campaign reaches its end around the tenth level.

Well our dry hack and slash rules lawyer of a DM decided this week about 30 mins before game time was to begin (1pm I was currently at work until 4 had been worked out previously ) that He was going to call out sick.

I was asked to step up to the plate so to speak which I was ok with, I took some paper and sketched out a rough idea while I was at work as I know that I do not own the same campaign book that he does and ran with it. Later that evening as we were gaming we took our usual dinner break we usually play from 1-11p. So I asked how everyone was enjoying the session so far... everyone pretty much said the same thing that they loved it and wanted me to take over if it was okay with our DM which he agreed to (seems he was getting frustrated with dming unable to play and just having a meltdown almost every session)

Now comes the problem that I may have, I will be Dming for a group that has been overly powered from character creation and have been given access to overly powerful equipment due to the fact that the old dm allowed a character to rob a bank in the city and gave the character around 30k platinum. So now I am trying to figure out how to even up the odds a bit so that I do not have to tell everyone pretty much that we are going to start from scratch.

Dytrrnikl
06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Have the money be cursed ala Pirates of the Carribean. Bring in some amped up Rust Monsters to stomp the metal based equipmet. 30K Platinum is a lot of coin, and is bound to get noticed in the underworld somewhere. Of course, you could have a salesmen come along and tell them that he has the perfect thing to enchant there equipment, guaranteed to make it better. Well, it does, gives every appearance of being better - until it matters, first use in an encounter and it crumbles to dust as the polish he used is actually a new sort of Universal Solvent.

rabkala
06-24-2011, 10:43 PM
I have taken over several games. It can be a real headache at times. I like Dytrrnikl's thoughts. Especially a nice templated rust monster!

It might be best to talk to some of the players though. You can come across as the bad guy if you start the game in 'correction mode'. The players might rather start over and experience a fresh start with a good DM who is motivated. If they are already attached to this game (and character), they will probably be willing to lose this ill gotten coin.

Sascha
06-25-2011, 09:38 AM
It might be best to talk to some of the players though. You can come across as the bad guy if you start the game in 'correction mode'. The players might rather start over and experience a fresh start with a good DM who is motivated. If they are already attached to this game (and character), they will probably be willing to lose this ill gotten coin.
Best advice here. Start with expectations - yours and theirs - and work from there.

nijineko
06-25-2011, 11:54 AM
seconded.

you want to talk with them a bit and get everyone's expectations on the table. negotiate a bit, and work out a mutually agreeable starting / starting over point.