PDA

View Full Version : Deflection: power or boost in SUPERS! ?

ReaperWolf
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
How would you model an offensive/defensive deflection in SUPERS! ?

Would it be a new power or a boost for an existing power such as Armor?

What I'm thinking is it functions as a defensive power, you roll the dice and any points exceeding the attack are treated as an attack back at the original attacker or another nearby combatant.

Think Wonder Woman's bracelets.

Two combatants:

A has Superweapon (gun with bullets) 3D
B has Deflection (kinectic projectiles) 5D

A attacks B, rolling 11 while B rolls great getting a 21. B is not hit and reflects the bullets back with an attack of 10 (21-11).

Alternatively convert the 10 points into a 3D attack (10/3 dropping the fraction)

Simon?

Anybody else?

Regards,

>>ReaperWolf

novaexpress
06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
My 2 cents:
I'm more inclined to define it as a boost.
Applicable to some Powers more typical (like Superweapon, Telekinesis, Energy control, etc.) ; or to Fighting (as a specialty).
But my knowledge of the rules is limited and recent, so...

ReaperWolf
06-25-2011, 06:44 PM
I agree. A boost seems the mostly likely solution but it'll need some tweaking. Alternatively a complication on an existing power that only activates after you're attacked.

Both seem logical...

>>ReaperWolf

novaexpress
06-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I think you first rule was good enough.
The player A chooses the boost/Fighting specialy "Deflect". Then, when he's attacked by B, he uses a Defence, and if his defence is higher than the attack, he not only succeeds his defence, but can also deflect the attack and counter-attack just after.
The difference between the two rolls (defence-attack) is the score of the counter-attack. Maybe, this difference would surely be lower than a normal Defence roll (statistically), but it forces the opponent to use a Defence. Then, A can attack normally because it is his turn. Forcing B to use a second Defence.

ReaperWolf
06-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, maybe a special boost that costs XD where X is the amount of the attack returned to the attacker on a successful defense. Alternatively keep it simple and basically direct an attack equal to the Defense - Attack back at the attacker (who's now the defender). The new defender would then have to pick a defense.

Simplicity has merit...

>>ReaperWolf

novaexpress
06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah. Better to keep it simple.
I think that for the cost of 1D, the Deflect boost's primary purpose is to counter-attack and makes the original attacker use a Defence, and possibly hit him, rather than hurt absolutly the opponent.
If you want the Deflect boost to be a more powerful attack, better use your first proposal in your last email, and let a player put XD in the boost to create an XD attack.