PDA

View Full Version : The Vampire's Crown

Morfedel
06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
The Vampire’s Crown

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/Morfedel/The%20Vampires%20Crown/2859.jpg

When the Empress died without heir, it was certain to be the last straw. The Empire, already straining from pressures both within and without, with too many power-hungry nobles ready to start a civil war and wreck the Empire Irrevocably, the final days of the Crown had come.

Only, a prophecy spoke that one day, should her people still live, the Empress would be reborn, and with them, the strength and glory of the empire. Thus, the Empress’ mightiest captain made a terrible choice: he became a vampire, to embrace immortality, so that he could hold her empire together, and keep her people alive, until such time as his beloved Empress would be returned to him.

Over two centuries have passed, and no sign of her return is in sight. Her captain despairs, and resorts to ever darker and more desperate lengths to keep the Empire in line.

Welcome to the empire of the Vampire’s Crown.

The Vampire’s Crown is a campaign set in the politically and militarily tumultuous times of a land held together by a dark tyrant preserving his land, no matter the cost. Depending on what the players wish to play, this can be a game of intrigue and politics in the heart of the empire, supporting the dark overlord to keep the empire safe, to overthrow him and risk complete chaos, or to go about on business completely unrelated to the crown.

Or, perhaps, exploring the more dangerous, less safe borders of the realm interests you, exploring the ruins of the Ancients that came before, or facing the hordes of creatures who would see the Empire dead. Regardless, the game, and the realm, will be for you to explore as you see fit.

Depending on what you wish to play, the game will be run using either Dungeons and Dragons 4e, if you wish a more swords-and-sorcery high action approach, although one with heavy story emphasis… or Strands of Fate, a rules-medium narrative-heavy system if you want to focus less on action and more on story and drama.

The choice is yours. I’m looking for 3-5 players for alternating Saturday games at Dragon's Lair here in San Antonio. I have three children, so my schedule may be a bit unreliable at times, so I need players tolerant of that as well. If you have questions or wish to express interest, pm me for my email.

I look forward to hearing from you!

James

DarthDual
06-24-2011, 08:29 AM
This wouldn't be James Beggs now would it? If So this is Michael the Army guy with the missing leg:P We last saw each other at Dragon's Lair. I am interested in said game sounds like a lot of fun. I might even be able to bring a player or two I just got to check with them and see whats up. I'm at DL today got my Pathfinder Game at 1430-2200. Feel free to stop by and tell me more of the setting.

Morfedel
06-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah, it's me. Sorry it took me so long, but I finally got around to posting my game, both here and at Dragon's Lair. I work fridays though, and I JUST saw this, so.... I'll have to talk about it this weekend.

Tell me... are the other two those two friends of yours I met you with? The guy and his girlfriend?

DarthDual
06-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Ok...no the two i'm talking about are in my Monday game but one of them play pathfinder with me on Fridays. My friend Silvio and his fiance Kelsey are leaving to a new State as he got a job elsewhere.

Morfedel
06-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Ah, right. I liked them, but it seemed like Kelsey didn't really want to learn the rules; that kind of frustrated me a tad.

Anyway. Yeah, have anyone who wants to play contact me. Realize, this will either be 4th edition D&D OR Strands of Fate. The former you know about. The latter is more story-oriented in design, rules-medium, more narrative.

In other words, D&D 4E is for more high action combat, Strands of Fate is for more story-oriented games. I'll present both when we have an actual group, and let you guys decide.

Morfedel
06-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Oh, and btw, I actually have Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E, in case you guys want to use that.

DarthDual
06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Ok, i will see the two guy's I told you about tomorrow at our DnD game and see what they say.

Morfedel
06-26-2011, 05:29 PM
That's fine. I have another guy interested. We should probably talk about it then, when everyone is together.

Morfedel
06-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Let me know what they say. This other guy is gone for a tournament somewhere (San Francisco), but will be back in a few days; let me know what the other two say and we will get something going.

Morfedel
06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I just talked to that other guy, and he said he will only play if it's 4E, so unless one of you other guys are AGAINST that idea, I suppose we will play 4E :)

Morfedel
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
So, did you talk to them?

DarthDual
07-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to things fell thru so I will be talking with them today. I also might have a female friend that's interested in playing I see later tonight so we will see. I'll answers for you later tonight for sure.

Morfedel
07-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Sure. And a female player always brings a different perspective to the game.

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

Realize I don't want more than 5 players. I already have two, including yourself. So don't draft more than three more, heh!

DarthDual
07-02-2011, 02:53 AM
well I talk to my buddies one can't due to a new job and sats will not be a day off for him. The other one not sure except for the 2 games he is in with me he is 24/7 looking for work so he told me he'll think about it. I'll talk to him more but it might be a no go so that leaves my female friend I didn't see her today so I couldn't make sure but if she did I believe it would have to be after work which she get's off at 2pm i believe maybe a little earlier.

Morfedel
07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok. We can work something out probably. Let me know. I'll let John know as well - he is my other player. He had a couple of possibilities.

In the meantime, he went and made a character - a human chaos sorcerer. You can start making one too, if you wish. We will finalize things later. I decided to go ahead and have a scenario set up for the beginning of the game prepared.

DarthDual
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Cool I got a character concept already in the works. the class is the Executioner Assassin which will be either human or Drow haven't decided yet.

Morfedel
07-03-2011, 02:38 PM
So, a second striker? That's ok, I suppose, as long as no everyone chooses to play strikers, heh.

Drows aren't allowed. I have a few restrictions in the game:

Allowed:

1. All classes from phb 1, 2, and 3, plus the swordmage and assassin
2. All races from phb1
3. All races from phb2
4. Only the Wilden from phb3
5. The Revenant from Dragon #376

Note, that this is the Empire of Nerath, taken from the history of the default Points of Light setting, modified for this game. It is very human-centric, so non-human races will stick out, some more than others. It depends on the race.

Some classes have some roleplaying things to consider: all divine, primal, and psionic classes, plus the Sorcerer, have some roleplaying things to consider.

For the Divines: well, the Regent is a vampire. some religions aren't happy about that. Others don't care. The church of Erathis, for instance, love the fact that the regent has maintained stability of the empire, while the Raven Queen's minions despise undead. So, while the empire doesn't actively persecute one religion over another, some are more welcome, and others watched carefully.

Primal characters will have to come from the edges of the empire, generally from tribal peoples outside the empire's edge.

Human Psionic characters, and the sorcerer, are almost always discovered at a young age. See, every human child between the ages of 6 and 10 years old are put through a questioning by Imperial Examiners. No one knows exactly what happens, as before the questioning, the children are fed a potion that causes them to prevent their remembering.

Occasionally, a child with the gift of sorcery or psionics is discovered, and the parents are offered the opportunity for an imperial education. Those who accept see their children taken away and trained in imperial facilities; in exchange, they must work for the empire for a time. Some choose to make it a lifelong career.

Once in a great while, a child is taken away forcibly, without explanation, and is never seen again. As such, though its rare, villages and towns always dread the yearly arrival of an Imperial Examiner.

I would heavily encourage you to stick with the more traditional races; humans are by far the most dominant, and there tends to be some racism (actually I suppose it would be called Specism) in the empire. The more bizarre races will have a harder time.

That being the case, I'm allowing all the races I listed for a reason: they CAN show up in the Empire. Some are more rare than others:

All of the fey races (eladrin, elf, gnome, and wilden) live in their own "kingdoms." As far as anyone knows, there isn't one as strong as Nerath. They do at times mix with Imperial folk, but they mostly keep to themselves, in their own pocket kingdoms and such. The Eladrin have much vaster empires in the Feywild, and tend to only be around Nerath via their cities and fortresses "phasing" into our reality for a short time. Gnomes tend to live with the Elves and Eladrin, the Wilden with Elves. Many Imperial peoples have never seen a fey.

Dwarves likewise live in their own small kingdoms. They do interact with humans a bit more, buying and selling, but they rarely venture deep into Imperial territory, so they are most common at the Empire's fringes. As such, Imperial fringes see dwarves somewhat often, but are almost never seen deeper.

Dragonborn and Tieflings crushed each others empire far before the rise of Nerath. They are both scattered peoples now. They live often beyond the fringes of the Empire, but they also have enclaves within he empire. As such, while they are an uncommon sight in the Empire, nearly everyone has seen them at least once or twice.

Half-elves are extremely rare, are almost always found only in terrirories that border both elven and imperial areas. There are no "societies" of half-elves, and finding more than one or two is almost unheard of.

Halflings live within Imperial borders, and live mostly up and down rivers and waterways, as well as major roads and traderoutes. As such, halflings are a common sight in most parts of the Empire.

Goliaths and shifters are like the primal classes, found beyond the borders of the empire. Likewise with half-orcs, or found just within the borders, in towns victimized by orc raids.

Devas are a very rare sight anywhere, and as such will always attract attention. Revenants are likewise as rare, and often generate discomfort.

Any questions?

Morfedel
07-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Well, I'm getting zero other respondents, so I'll just go ahead and shut this down for now. I'll try again in a couple months or something.

DarthDual
07-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah I hear ya man:( None of my friends can do it right now. the girl I told you about is busy trying to make ends meet so gaming is on hiatus atm.