PDA

View Full Version : Game group application quiz

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi guys- new member and first time poster!

Just wanted to run this by a few people. I am looking for people to play though classified ads and frinds of friends and I thought itd be a quirky idea to make an application quiz to see where thay stand in terms of playing style. If anyone wants to read it and give feedback Id appreciate it. Too much? Too corny? Feel free to weigh in- and if you want to take it just for kicks- thats cool too!

Thanks...

The Quiz!

The following was designed as a fun exercise and a way to gauge a bit about playing style in the dungeons and dragons system. They have been tailored to be compatible with the style of play I am looking for and a few are campaign specific to the original setting I use. Questions will usually provide both a character template and a scenario. You are encouraged to use creativity and use the tone most illustrative of your playing style in general- comedic/dramatic, terse/verbose, straight ahead/unorthodox- or of course any mix of the above attributes. Dont be ahead to stray from conventional answers. Many questions will illustrate some of the more unique elments of the actual campaign setting. There are no wrong answers and no max length- feel free to ramble. Where applicable go ahead and fill in the blanks in terms of NPC reaction/dialogue.

Have fun!

1) There is no "universal" language of magic for wizards in the campaign. Each wizard "sees" magical formulas and language differently. In such a way they express magical formulas differently as well and can even discover hitherto unknown spells
simply by witnssing places or event in the real world that apply to their view. Their reflects this. Each wizard also chooses a specialization A vile necromancer has a tome bound in human flesh with gory depictions in his victims blood- witnessing an especially bloody or vile act inspires a new spell in his repetoire. A studious diviner sees magic in complex mathematical formulas and can learn a spell by having a conversation with an engineer or scientist. An urban transmuter inks her spells on her body as tatoos and watching pople interact in a sprawling city can rveal a new spell. Choose a specialization and describe how they "see" magic, their spellbook, and how they can learn new spells. Schools are- Abjuration, evocation, divination, charm, necromancy, transmutation, illusion and conjuration.

2) Material and spoken components are individual to the caster as well. For example a stoneskin spell might have one caster eat a stone. A halfling jester might hurl taunts specific to each spell. For th wizard you described above describe a combat spell (magic missile, fireball), an action spell (spiderclimb, feather fall)and a divination spell (Know alignmnt, spak with dead) along with a unique verbal or material component. The spells listed are only examples and may or may not be used.

3) Last wizard one- I promise! Each wizard eventually gains a "signature" spell that is typically the variation of a more common spell. For example one prominent wizard in the setting has a mirror image spell where each illusion functions completely autonomosly and can for example all run in different directions to confuse pursuers. A signature spell can also be a combination of spells cast at once- spider climb/grease for example. Come up with and describe a signature spell for the wizard youve described in the preceding two questions.

4) Your druid character is xenophobic and solitary to the extreme. Being born and secluded to the wild much of his life he lacks social graces and displays eccentric behaviour without ralizing it. Cite a few examples of this behaviour the rest of the party observes the first time they make camp together. Add a few of your own examples- at a kings feast- a dinner with many noble dignitaries, first night in doors, interactions with a stabled horse or even general neuroticisms.

5) This same druid has an atypical animal companion. Name the companion, describe it and list at least one way they can be utilizied in an effective or complimentary non combat situation. Feel free to include spell use, etc in these examples.

6) Your dwarven warrior faces certain defeat but knows he must throw himself in harms way. What is in all likelihood his final battle cry?

7) This same dwarf is very unipressed with a tankard of halfling brewed ale at a local pub- express his discontent in a typically dwarven fashion.

8) Your obnoxious halfling character who happens to be a barkeep at the local pub has just had his finest homebrew soundly chastised by a drunken dwarf. What his approproiately antagonizing response?

9) At the start of the campaign you created a very basic neutral good human fighter and have been struggling to add some prsonality after several game sssions. You confer with the dm and agree to take a few extreme measures. The party confronts a chaotic evil ex-lover/wife/husband of your character. The encounter triggers some kind of mental disorder in your character. Describe the ex-lover, the mental disorder, and how a NG fighter came to be involved in a romance with a CE partner to begin with. For bonus points state the memento taken after the final confrontation with said ex-lovr and its magical qualities.

10) A divine order has petitioned your Paladin to retrieve an ancient relic from a centuries old red dragon. Much to your chagrin however you confront the draghon only to realize that the red dragon in question is kindly and god- although still not willing to part with the relic in qustion. Dscribe the conversation/course of action used to resolve this challenge. Feel free to adlib the specifics of the order, the relic, and the dragon if it replies to your answer.

11) You are playing a gnomish rogue who is unarmd and unarmored. You are trying to gain entrance to a cave guardd by a large but not especially bright ogre. Combat is not an option- what do you do?

12) Your elven ranger has been comissioned to lead a small human warband through a dense and fairly dangerous region. During this expedition he comes to realize that this warband is in fact planning to raid a small friendly and unprotected elven village in the area. Descibe the preventative measurs taken by your character. Answrs can range from pacifist to brutal- again f=this is an exercise in story telling so feel free to adlib some details as to how the situation plays out.

13) Your DM informs you that you are playing a female kobold although class, personality, alignment and backstory are completely up to you as long as you can justify why this charactr would be travelling with a virtuous group of heroes. Describe your character.

14) You are a daring rogue who has recently completed a daring heist that involved snatching an evil barons prime pomaranian. The baron himself is an avid dog lover and although the prize inquestion has very little value it was done out of spite to knock him down a peg or two for the most recent tax hike. No caper of this nature would be complete without the requisite braggadacio. Describe in detail, the obstacles, traps, guards- and how they were overcome, to a crowd of enthusiatic pub patrons.

15) Your past is shrouded in mystery- but you posess strange and fantastic powers! At long last you find your mystrious father. Who is he?

Malruhn
06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
1) This could be nigh unto impossible for some folks - as they detest arcane casters. Others see (and use) spells directly out of the book, so what you ask for is "rule-breaking" for them.

2) Ditto.

3) And again, ditto.

4) This is relatively easy - for someone that actually studies people. The druid might get caught staring at inappropriate body parts (the scar, the bust, the way someone walks). Inappropriate comments would abound - IF the person spoke to others at all. He might miss cues and double entendres or totally misconstrue them (She told me that it would be okay to hit on her... I didn't know she'd bruise that easily!)

5) Meh, same problem as the person that hates arcane spellcasters. If I don't care about natural things, it might be hard to describe an unnatural animal companion.

6) I feel sorry for folks that don't like to play short-folks. In my world, it might be something along the line of, "By Silverbeard's HAMMER!" or something similar.

7) "When was this urine collected?" "Did the Orc who pissed it get paid?" "Just think, if just a little more water was added to this, it would be... ALL WATER!" "This isn't even good enough for an ELF!!"

8) The obnoxious barkeep would lose his job - as those traits are mutually exclusive. Modern commercial practice holds true in fantasy medieval commercial settings.

9) Neutral Good characters and "extreme measures" don't mix. One possibility for an NG to hang around a CE is the old trope of, "There's good in ALL of us, we just need to find it" (think of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader). Depending upon what you've discussed with the DM, I might even see the character taking up where the CE significant other left off... like Psycho (CE mother died in first movie, so her son took over). The PC might even take up the personality and apparel of the dead evil dude.

10) This sounds like something I would do in my campaign! I might even go so far as to offer to serve the dragon for a time to get the relic. I would also appeal to the dragon's intellect - Why does it need the Holy Kneecap of Barbara of Eden? Only her adherents would find need for it!!

11) Thrown pebbles and lots of stealth. Such things are easy.

12) I would make up stories about some strange peril, and lead the party from encounter to encounter with evil, bad, nasties - in the hope that they would just pass on. If nothing else, they might beat a threat or two and do the forest some good!

13) If a player is stuck on standard races, this might be EXTREMELY difficult - and this has nothing to do with those that find it difficult or impossible to role-play a different gender. My kobold would have entered the crew as a servant and rose from there to her present position.

14) This would NEVER happen - successful thieves don't speak about their exploits. Stories about EX-thievesabound with stories about telling stories about exploits. There are spies everywhere - even in the guild. I would quietly deposit the pomm with the guild-master and collect my due - and that's it.

15) I would shed a tear and find a new DM - this trope has been done to DEATH... If forced, I would just make my character VERY normal - who had some fortuitous coincidences when he was younger - so it SEEMED like he had strange and fantastic powers (think of the Super-Bowl commercial with the young Darth Vader). This would be similar to the also overused trope of the young kid that gets a magical device to help them that turns out to be totally normal and it only boosted their confidence.

A word of advice for future posts - write up your posts in a word-processing program and use the spell-check and grammar check features... it would make your writing MUCH easier to read.

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-21-2011, 01:51 AM
First off thanks for taking the time to reply.

Second- Im actually a fairly articulate and literate person but the post was copied and pasted from a notepad file I wrote on a computer with an "E" button that doesnt work properly- hence the grammar issues. Im new to this forum but the ones I frequent are largely ok with short hand, slang and abbreviations- I think my points were still easily conveyed even with the spelling infractions.

Third- Im not sure how to take your responses as half of them seem like detached third party advice from a fellow GM and the other half seem like you took on the role of a player.I really hate to nitpick or respond negatively but I think you missed the point by a fair margin on some. Here are some counterpoints:

1,2,3- I posted this in the "fantasy game section" not the "dungeons and dragons system" because I run an original setting rife with rule variations and borrowed systems. They are well documented and any player would have access to them before and during character creation- so the "rule breaking" theory holds no water. Also this is a huge "rules lawyer" flag for me- definite strike against. I can see what your saying here in that I should clarify to experienced gamers that these changes are in place and that this setting and campaign will require an open mind and the ability to drop a few pre-concieved notions as to how spell casting works.

1,2,3,5 and 13- In regards to detesting arcane spell casters, natural things, and playing demi-humans and/or opposite sex characters. I stated fairly clearly (I thought anyways)- that this was an exercise in creativity. I can understand someone not wanting to commit the time and energy requires into playing a role they "detest" in an extended campaign but all I asked for in each case was a short example. If someone could not step out of their comfort zone for the 3 and a half minutes it took to answer those questions Id be very leery of allowing them in my group in the first place.

6,7, and 10- Funny! I especially like 7 myself- 10 could be fleshed out into a whole red dragon kneecap mini campaign!

8 and 14- Really kind of bothers me actually. In 15 you talk about how sad it is that some themes are played to death and then you insist that every single barkeep and thief be played exactly the same way. There are a lot of grey areas in this regard and speaking in these finite terms is really very limiting in terms of roleplaying. I actually know a barkeep- well restaurant and bar owner if you want to split hairs- who is very obnoxious, can be rude and is usually very blunt. Her business is very succesful. The rogue thing is even more puzzling- classic and modern fiction is bristling with stories of flamboyant rogues who make no secret of their exploits- robin hood???

9- Im not touching the alignment debate with a 10 foot pole. I use alignment as a general guideline not a set of parameters for characters to operate in. Just my take though- neat ideas in there though in regards to psycho and star wars.

11- I think what I hear you saying is that this question is too generic or easy? Fair enough. I personally like it because stealth and subterfuge are typically a large component in my campaigns and some people really struggle with that aspect of the game. This question gives me a little insight to where they're at.

12- Nice answer- good logic-I liked where this one was going...

15- This is actually the answer that bothers me the most (obviously). If you noticed it was saved as the last question and it is intentionally very contrived . The idea was actually to see if a potential player could take the most over used cliche in sci-fi/fantasy and deliver it in a unique way or at the very least with a twist that gave it some character. Giving a very bland, generic answer would be a red flag that this player might not have the creative muscle for the type of role play heavy/story driven campaign I was running. I guess your answer of crying and finding a new gm would be a warning sign too though- lmao!!

In any case I may not agree with everything you said but your reply was definitely a good primer in terms of issues I might have to clarify when people are actually doing the quiz. In the end its mostly a goofy exercise meant to gauge a little of where people are at, set the tone for the campaign and maybe have a laugh.

Appreciate the view and comment...

Q-man
06-22-2011, 07:48 AM
1) My Answer: Charm school; my wizard would view magic as being threads rising from the heads of people, wavin in an unseen breeze as their mood and thoughs shift. Using hte magic would be merely pulling on the threads to trigger the appropriate response. His spellbook would contain diagrams of heads with marked regions showing where emotions originate in the mind. Then would follow a description of thickness and colors of the threads to indicate their personalities or current moods, including ways to tug or twist the threads to achieve the desired response.

My Comments: An interesting concept, but I'm not sure how you can gauge the responses. After all some people might see magic as something like mathmatical or chemical formulae. This might be seen as lacking creativity, when its merely their favored interpretation, and like Malruhn said not everyone likes magic.

2) My Answer: Since I started with a Charm mage, I think domination would be a good combat spell. In which case his material component would be loose threads of yarn, which he would need to tie into an elaborate knot then pull the ends very tightly while focusing on the target. For a divination spell Know Alignment would be useful and he would need a thread of fine white silk and a piece of black twine with hooks tied to it. He would chant the spell while twining the two threads together and focusing on the target. If the threads above them took on the silken aspect or the parbed twine aspect he would learn the alignment.

My Comments: This seems a little disjointed from the first question. Each school might not have the various spells you requested, which means you'll need to abandone that initial description to answer the question.

3) My Answer:

My Comments: I would probably leave this blank. At first it was amusing to think about an interesting concept for magic. After the second question I had to step outside of that concept, or broaden it in some way. Now I would really need to have a personality for this wizard to describe this spell. This isn't terribly hard to do, but I don't want to be bothered to do so for a questionaire.

4) My Answer: Since he is bound to the woods I could see him being a little savage in nature. When confronted by new people he might bare his teeth and snarl if he feels threatened; like say a merchant attempting to haggle or a guard reproaching him for urinating on a house.

My Comments: After seeing the words 'Your druid character' I quickly glance down to see how many questions I'll need to answer about him. If it requires the same thought as the wizard stuff from above I'll probably simplify my responses so that the concept is more easily adaptable to whatever else is needed. I don't know that I could answer this question seriousl. The concept of a social inept character doesn't appeal to me. I pretty much only play characters that won't be excluded from social situations, since being excluded means missing out on some of the role play.

5) My Answer: He has a Lyrebird companion. Since its able to mimick any sound he could use it to mimick the voice of a soldiers commander, or have it fly about the room project his voice from different places.

6) My Comments: My first thought was "jeez, how many characters will I need to think up for this?"

After question 6 I'm done with this, its stopped being fun. Scanning through the questions there's a few more that would be interesting to answer, but I don't want to leave half the form blank to get to those ones. So in the end I wouldn't even respond. Not that 6 questions is too much, just that the amount of information you're looking for makes this a whole lot more effort than I want to do.

I don't mean to be negative about you questions, but they do seem to ask for a lot of detail. Some of them are fun and amusing to answer, but others just felt like a chore to me. Its possible that the problem is how I think about characters, I can get a basic concept easy enough but once additional details are needed I almost have to start working in personality and backstory. Once that happens its way more work than I'd want to go through for a questionaire.

Even if it was just one question per character concept you're asking for 15 different character ideas. That still seems like a lot. Guaranteed that if you get serious answers to all the questions you'll absolutely know what this guy is like in terms of creativity. Realistically though you might get good answers at the begining but as the questions keep coming they'll start taking shortcuts or just not putting that much into it. So you're results will be a lot less revealing than you might want.

My suggestion would be to either trim down the number of questions, or make them a lot less involved. I like what you're trying to get with this survey, and I love the idea actually. I just don't think that asking for this much from a person you've never really met is asking for a lot.

rabkala
06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Perhaps if I wore some pretty pastel tights and acted out a few scenes for you, please oh please could I join your wonderous group of true role players?

If simply meeting me and getting to know me over a cup of coffee didn't work for somebody, I would laugh in thier face for trying to give me such a quiz. I would then send out some mass emails to my gaming contacts telling them of the foolish game nazi to avoid as well as going to the local game shop to ridicule them more.

I mean no disrespect, maybe that's what you are looking for, make sure to get the 'normals' out of the way...

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Whoa thats way out of line! Seriously dude- did you even read the first effin paragraph??? Its supposed to be a fun thing for kicks. I designed it as something Id like to do as a player and as a bonus the GM gets a bit of insight into their playing style. No one HAS to do it- and even if they chose too- hell they can just pick a handful of the questions they find interesting. You dress up in pink pastels on your own time. As for the mass e-mails I think I can overcome my ensuing ban from the local Green Bay comic book store- considering I live in NW Ontario. Even in your profile it sounds like you have some issues with LARP players and other "extreme" role players that your projecting on me. For the record Im 28, work full time and play once a week with my buddies- probably just like you. No plastic fangs, foam swords, or pink tutus required.

Im pretty shocked at the negativity on these boards. I put up ONE post about a goofy quiz that was meant to be for fun. I asked for any "constructive" criticism and so far Ive had my grammar lambasted, the actual quiz picked to shreds, told it was a waste of time, and now a called frickin game nazi!!??

Im second guessing if this is a community I want to be a part of.

U - N - B - E - L - I - E -V -A - B - L - E

By the way Rabkala- how in the name of Moradins beard to you actually call someone a nazi and then say... but uh yea- NO DISRESPECT.

Q-man
06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I didn't say it was a waste of time, I merely offered my opinion on it and how I'd perceive it if I was filling it out. You requested feedback so I gave you my running thoughts as I went through the questions.

All I was saying was that, for me, doing what amounts to 4 or 5 pages of creative writing as an application for a gaming group is a little much. I don't mind doing some of the writing, but after a while it stops being fun. Which is exactly what I tried to say in my post.

Had you just posted the quiz and left it at that I would have declined to respond, since what you described sounded like a decent idea and you seemed to want to improve it I thought I'd make some effort. If I was overly negative that wasn't intentional, I just was trying to offer the feedback I thought you wanted.

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the constructive criticism- some of that actually makes a lot of sense to me. In the last two I sent out I made sure to tell people its mostyly just for kicks and they could feel free to skip any questions that they didnt find interesting/applicable

1) My Answer: Charm school; my wizard would view magic as being threads rising from the heads of people, wavin in an unseen breeze as their mood and thoughs shift. Using hte magic would be merely pulling on the threads to trigger the appropriate response. His spellbook would contain diagrams of heads with marked regions showing where emotions originate in the mind. Then would follow a description of thickness and colors of the threads to indicate their personalities or current moods, including ways to tug or twist the threads to achieve the desired response.

My Comments: An interesting concept, but I'm not sure how you can gauge the responses. After all some people might see magic as something like mathmatical or chemical formulae. This might be seen as lacking creativity, when its merely their favored interpretation, and like Malruhn said not everyone likes magic.

2) My Answer: Since I started with a Charm mage, I think domination would be a good combat spell. In which case his material component would be loose threads of yarn, which he would need to tie into an elaborate knot then pull the ends very tightly while focusing on the target. For a divination spell Know Alignment would be useful and he would need a thread of fine white silk and a piece of black twine with hooks tied to it. He would chant the spell while twining the two threads together and focusing on the target. If the threads above them took on the silken aspect or the parbed twine aspect he would learn the alignment.

My Comments: This seems a little disjointed from the first question. Each school might not have the various spells you requested, which means you'll need to abandone that initial description to answer the question.

3) My Answer:

My Comments: I would probably leave this blank. At first it was amusing to think about an interesting concept for magic. After the second question I had to step outside of that concept, or broaden it in some way. Now I would really need to have a personality for this wizard to describe this spell. This isn't terribly hard to do, but I don't want to be bothered to do so for a questionaire.

4) My Answer: Since he is bound to the woods I could see him being a little savage in nature. When confronted by new people he might bare his teeth and snarl if he feels threatened; like say a merchant attempting to haggle or a guard reproaching him for urinating on a house.

My Comments: After seeing the words 'Your druid character' I quickly glance down to see how many questions I'll need to answer about him. If it requires the same thought as the wizard stuff from above I'll probably simplify my responses so that the concept is more easily adaptable to whatever else is needed. I don't know that I could answer this question seriousl. The concept of a social inept character doesn't appeal to me. I pretty much only play characters that won't be excluded from social situations, since being excluded means missing out on some of the role play.

5) My Answer: He has a Lyrebird companion. Since its able to mimick any sound he could use it to mimick the voice of a soldiers commander, or have it fly about the room project his voice from different places.

6) My Comments: My first thought was "jeez, how many characters will I need to think up for this?"

After question 6 I'm done with this, its stopped being fun. Scanning through the questions there's a few more that would be interesting to answer, but I don't want to leave half the form blank to get to those ones. So in the end I wouldn't even respond. Not that 6 questions is too much, just that the amount of information you're looking for makes this a whole lot more effort than I want to do.

I don't mean to be negative about you questions, but they do seem to ask for a lot of detail. Some of them are fun and amusing to answer, but others just felt like a chore to me. Its possible that the problem is how I think about characters, I can get a basic concept easy enough but once additional details are needed I almost have to start working in personality and backstory. Once that happens its way more work than I'd want to go through for a questionaire.

Even if it was just one question per character concept you're asking for 15 different character ideas. That still seems like a lot. Guaranteed that if you get serious answers to all the questions you'll absolutely know what this guy is like in terms of creativity. Realistically though you might get good answers at the begining but as the questions keep coming they'll start taking shortcuts or just not putting that much into it. So you're results will be a lot less revealing than you might want.

My suggestion would be to either trim down the number of questions, or make them a lot less involved. I like what you're trying to get with this survey, and I love the idea actually. I just don't think that asking for this much from a person you've never really met is asking for a lot.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I must have been writing my response to your post as you were writing this one. Your post was very helpful- and it actually made me re-work the wording so that I made it clear to any prospctive readers that it was indeed for fun and that they should feel free to skip any questions they didnt find interesting/applicable to their playing style. Even Malruhns grammar and rule advice while somewhat grating- were actually pertinent in that I may indeed come across those types of players and it should be an issue Im prepared to deal with. My feathers are a but ruffled from Rabkalas post mostly. In the end I just thought itd be a fun quirky thing to do and I didnt envision this type of response in general.

But yea to clarify- i was not offended by your response- I was actully diasppointed i didnt get to hear the rest of your answers. The "my answer"/"my comments" format was alternately entertaining and insightful.

Anyways

I didn't say it was a waste of time, I merely offered my opinion on it and how I'd perceive it if I was filling it out. You requested feedback so I gave you my running thoughts as I went through the questions.

All I was saying was that, for me, doing what amounts to 4 or 5 pages of creative writing as an application for a gaming group is a little much. I don't mind doing some of the writing, but after a while it stops being fun. Which is exactly what I tried to say in my post.

Had you just posted the quiz and left it at that I would have declined to respond, since what you described sounded like a decent idea and you seemed to want to improve it I thought I'd make some effort. If I was overly negative that wasn't intentional, I just was trying to offer the feedback I thought you wanted.

rabkala
06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi guys- new member and first time poster!

If anyone wants to read it and give feedback Id appreciate it. Too much? Too corny? Feel free to weigh in-
Thanks...
Yes I can and did read, perhaps you didn't write what you meant. You took it as disrespect, but I am just stating the fact of how many would perceive this. You didn't ask for 'constructive' criticism, but feel free to weigh in-... I think it too much, too corny, and too elitist. Take it or leave it. I do not think you would earn a ban from the local Green Bay comic book store, just an invitation to over-reactors anonymous.

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Wait so let me get this straight- you offered to wear pretty pastel tights, send out mass e-mails warning people about "dangerous" role players, comfortably toss around the term nazi in a forum where a complete stranger posts a harmless idea about dungeons and dragons and then go to your local comic store to ridicule people who have different ideas than you and...

You're the "normal one"??!!

What planet do you live on?

Again I have to state that it shows your truly ignorant nature that you can call someone names- then go on to tell them youd laugh at them and ridicule them- but conclude by saying "no disrespect". Heres an example: Im guessing your a Green Bay Fudge Packer- no offense. Which makes sense because you have the personality of a turd sandwich without the bread- no offense. Your profile states youve been DMing since 1979 (at this point Im just impressed you know what a computer is and how to use it)- do they allow gaming in the geriatric ward? No offense. Does your medication affect role playing? No offense. Do you need custom ordered oversizd dice to see the numbers? No offense.

See? What part of that paragraph rings hollow?

Who in their right mind asks for destructive, unhelpful, or insulting criticism??? You could have even said- personally I think its too much, too corny, and too elitist. Fair enough- your opinion. Instead you called me a nazi, went on a tirade about girls clothing and then told me how I should be laughed and ridiculed for even suggesting this idea.

If you think Im overreacting- please tell me what makes me desserving of being attacked on here. If you can tell me why I desserve to be called a game nazi, laughed at, and ridiculed then Ill gladly take back everything I said and shut up about the whole issue.

Until then- enjoy your tapioca and prune juice...

:)

Perhaps if I wore some pretty pastel tights and acted out a few scenes for you, plase oh please could I join your wonderous group of true role players?

If simply meeting me and getting to know me over a cup of coffee didn't work for somebody, I would laugh in thier face for trying to give me such a quiz. I would then send out some mass emails to my gaming contacts telling them of the foolish game nazi to avoid as well as going to the local game shop to ridicule them more.

I mean no disrespect, maybe that's what you are looking for, make sure to get the 'normals' out of the way...

rabkala
06-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I stated a hypothetical situation in which somebody tried to give me such a quiz. I never called you a game nazi. You made this a personal attack. Are you sure you want to continue this?

DerthManter
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
my thoughts on this:
1: good idea, slightly too heavy(you've already addressed this by making it optional to answer any questions)
2: I would try to drop the specific character questions down to one maybe 2 for each character type. I do understand that with the different magic system you use that more might be needed but i really think there might be a way to combine the first two questions as they are really two aspects of the same thing [how the mage/wizard perceives magic]
3: try looking at your own questions about the barkeep or the dwarf as really good examples of short answer questions (shorter answers required the more likely you are to get someone willing to do it and if they prefer longer answers you didn't set a length limit)
4: on number 9 you might be surprised if you just stopped the question at "and have agreed to take some extreme measures" and just asked them what those were.
5: numbers 10 and 12 are very good creativity questions. do you mind if i steal them for my own version of this?
in fact the entire second half is excellent, perhaps you should put it in the top half and just change the order a bit to make it more fun.

anyway, great idea, you've inspired me to do a similar item, hope my thoughts are at least somewhat useful to you, but they are just my thoughts. good luck and good dice rolls to you.

Q-man
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
11) Depends what he has available to him. It might be amusing to try and strap on some wings and try to convince the ogre that you're a friendly fairy here to offer him a few wishes. The ogre will need to close and cover his eyes while concentrating on what he's wishing for and repeat it aloud, and I'll conjure it up and let him know when its safe to look.

For a plan thats a little more reliable he might try setting a snare in the nearby woods (assuming there are woods nearby) then lure the ogre to the trap.

12) Knowing the forest well, and realizing these vile humans will easily get lost without my guidance, I'll lure them deep into the forest where more of the dangerous creatures live. Once there I'll quickly slip away from them and hide amongst the dense leaves. Smiling at my cleverness I'll stop to watch them from high in a tree as they scramble around making an awful racket trying to call me back. This moment of victory quickly turns sour, I knows they won't find their way back out of the forest; but with all this noise other elves will surely come along and offer to help them. No doubt the other elves will realize their intentions and devise a similar fate for them, but they might learn how I was duped by these barbarians and fooled enough to lead them this far. No, that can't be permitted. I won't abide their jibes and be the butt of their jokes for the next score of years. Once again relying on my skill in the forest I'll lead vicious creatures to them and arrange traps in all directions so that one by one they'll be killed and none will learn how easily I was fooled.

15) All through my life I've felt guided by some fate or spirit. Its lead my to many obscure books and teachers which have guided me to the vast powers now at my command. I've never questioned the source of this otherworldly guidance, and just assumed I was born under a lucky star. Perhaps it might have been in my best interest to investigate that a little more carefully though. It turns out that my father was a hated necromancer, whose tower was assaulted by a mob who dragged him out and slew him for the acts he had committed. What the mob didn't know was that he made their actions futile. Somehow he arranged things so that one of his descendants will be shown the skills needed to restore him to some form of life, or unlife I'm not entirely sure. The lucky star I was born under? The guidance to knowledge and teachers? All his doing. Before I was even born I was a pawn to his mad schemes, and now I'm not sure I can alter the course I'm on.

Malruhn
06-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I've butted heads with rabkala on here several times - but I have to rise to his defense here (pretending for a moment that he needs it, which is doubtful).

I have had job interviews for positions paying over $50,000 per year that were less intrusive, more coherent and required less preparation time.

I have successfully gamed with dozens of people over the past 31 years that were unwilling or incapable of playing certain races and/or classes - who did a great job of what they enjoyed. It works a bit like tastes in books and movies - and some don't like what I like - but their RP-ing abilities work just fine in the group as a whole.

Regarding the answer to your 15th question for which you seemed particularly upset, all I have to say is that the idea of, "OMG, you don't know your parents but you have uber-powers," is a trope in gaming that - in my experience - is a big plot driver for new DM's. Just like the "Okay, let's stat YOU out, and you get zapped into a fantasy land," trope. I outgrew it about... 30 years ago. Obviously your tastes are different.

The idea that you want your players to be as super-skilled fantasy writers and idea generators as you seem to believe you are is just... sad. There are lots of people out there that are just PLAYERS that want to REACT to what the DM throws them. You can't get much of a back-story out of them, they don't care that the great Sword of Poop Throwing was once wielded by the mighty Paladin Bob of The Bay of Green - they just want to do the "Hulk" thing and swing it.

Personally, I believe that your efforts are going to weed out 99% of gamers out there, and the few that make it through your tests will be just like you. I was told by a very wise person once, that if two people are sitting at a table and they agree on everything, one of them doesn't need to be there. You won't be challenged as a DM - THEY won't be challenged as players - but, by gosh, you'll all be able to survive a stress interview for an over-controlling DM!!

rabkala may have been a bit short in his feedback to you - but I agree with him. You don't want a gaming group - you want an elite party of elite gamers that all believe in your elitist idea of what an elite gamer is... Gee, add blond hair and blue eyes and rabkala is spot on. YOU are able to play every race and every class. YOU have established what rules are in play and which rules-as-written you will toss out. There are quite a few people that are unable to play like you do. All you are trying to do is see if their idea of Der Vaterland matches your own. Sorry, but that's controlling to the point of being scary.

I recruit by meeting for coffee or a diet cola beverage. I ask how much experience they have, what fantasy books they like, what their favorite and least favorite character races and classes are, and to describe their favorite character, gaming session (one shot or part of a campaign arc) and a disastrous session. If I like them, I then ask if there are any special things I would need to know about them for them if I invite them along... things like knowing if they are devoutly religious (and what their worship days are - I don't want to schedule games when they are at worship!!), or that they can't stand to play dwarves, or they have a dog that has to come along... whatever.

That's it.

After one cup of coffee (or diet cola beverage), I can tell if I can tolerate you. I don't need to LIKE you to game with you. We don't need to agree on everything. I've gamed with every walk of life, every race, most religions, every sexual variety imaginable, and people from other political parties than my own... and we were successful. I don't need to know how they will react to a tired idea that juvenile game masters use in the first games that they run.

THIS is why rabkala said what he said, and this is why I agree with him. Don't jump on the, "Oh, stop picking on me," bandwagon and actually re-read what he and I have both said. It may help you in the long run.

cplmac
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
:mod:

Monkiesthrowingpoop: If you didn't want to have people give negative responses to your initial post, you should have included that in the post. Also, don't put in later posts that you said something particular, when a check of the referenced something is not specifically there. You can't presume that people will know what you are trying to say without specifically doing so. What would you do if you met a potential player sometime and after handing them this questionaire, they actually responded the way rabkala's first post indicated that he would do if that would ever happen to himself sometime. You have to realize that not everyone is going to have the same gaming style as you. If you don't want negative feedback, I can assist by deleting this entire thread and you can start a new one that includes a sentence that states there is to be nothing posted that is negative in any way.

Malruhn: I will simply state that you could of handled the spelling and grammar thing better, by just suggesting to use a word processing program to help catch such things. Also, some folks may not have that available to them. Some may not be as computer savy to do so. And some, like myself, may not have the time to get it typed up on one piece of software, copy it, then get onto a website and locate the thread that it is to be copied to.

Rabkala: I am impressed that you have showed restraint so far as of this post. I hope you will continue. The only thing that may have helped to show (as I read and took your post) that you were talking about a hypothetical meeting, would to have said that if you were meeting someone about joining their group and they handed you such a questionaire, this would be your response to that person at the meeting.

I will be keeping a watch on this thread. If needed, it could get closed or deleted.

nijineko
06-26-2011, 06:13 PM
hmmmm. i don't have time to answer the questions, though i would find it amusing as an intellectual exercise.

to be honest, i find the idea of filling out such an extensive quiz in order to join a group to be off-putting. i would likely skip that opportunity without further investigation, unless i had no other options but those that looked even less attractive.

on the other hand, some of your questions are quite interesting and i would have fun crafting different responses based on different characters i have developed over the years.

my first impression is that such a quiz could be helpful for less experienced players who don't know themselves or characters very well. for long time players, it would more likely be more of a hindrance than a help. i note that most of the commentary that was least favorable was from those who have played for 20+ years.

for myself, i would prefer to meet with the person, swap a few rp stories, and talk about what kind of playing and dming styles we each preferred. that alone is usually enough for me to get a fairly accurate feel and impression for a person, and a probability score for rp compatibility.

if i have time, i might respond to a few of the questions that i find most interesting.

Q-man
06-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Well sure meeting the person face to face is the ideal way to see how they'll fit in. Its just that its not always possible. All the games I've played in the past 7 or so years have been online. The current game I'm running involves 2 players in Georgia, 1 in Pennsylvania, and 1 in Minnesota; there's no way I could meet them face to face. I'm sure a chat room could work, but its not at all the same. So something like this little survey would be a perfect way to get to know what their play style is like before they show up at a game session.

His questions aren't what I'd use, as I mentioned earlier, but the concept is pretty good. Eventually I'll want to have a set for use in setting up future games.

Monkiesthrowingpoop
06-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Its a quirky idea. Its only elitist if your answers had any impact on "getting the gig"- which it doesnt. Its not meant as a tool to weed anyone out. Its not meant to cater to a 1% demographic of uber gamer/writers. I have said multiple times that players could pick and choose any questions they found interesting. In fact the biggest feedback I got were from long time friends gamers who just enjoyed filling it out. I wrote it as something I thought would be fun as a player. I cant make this anymore clear- nobody fails this quiz. If you answer hulk smash- thats a legitimate answer. You dont get kicked out for it. If you dont want to do it- thats also fine. If we go for coffee and you say- I was kind of mulling over that one scenario on that quiz you sent over and I thought such and such was a neat idea- than its more than served its purpose.

I live in a small city of less than 100 000- its not like Im in a gaming mecca. Im a casual gamer. I really feel like a lot of this elitist crap is being projected on me from some other experience. Comments like saying its off putting- is a lot more fair. That I can understand. Insinuating theres some kind of parallel to ariyan white supremacy by only including blonde haired blue eyed gamers- is once again crossing the line in a big way. Ive had my post edited and been publically and privately contacted by a mod. So why is all the nazi, white supremacy stuff allowed to stay up? Mods here think its appropriate to compare the holocaust to my weekly d and d session? A drug use reference said in jest is intolerable- but feel free to make mass genocide references when they're convenient? Thats a joke in its own right- give your head a shake.

I was not aware I had to say please dont tell me I dress up like a little girl, call me a nazi, suggest Im a white supremesist, or told me my ideas should be mocked and ridiculed when I posted them. Seems a little silly. Ive read many posts on here that dont have that type of prologue to them.

If all you have to do is ask then Ill give it a try:

Hey to any posters out there who didnt like my idea can you please shorten your answers to something more polite? How about just removing the ones that arent constructive criticism in regards to the post? In fact thats perfect- Im only asking for responses that pertain to making this completely innocent idea more palletable, effective or entertaining. Please remove any anti semetic posts at this time.

Thanks for your co-operation in this perfectly reasonable regard.

:)

---------- Post added at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

Dude you presume so much its nearly impossible to argue with you.

Question 15- tired trope- my tastes are not different in regards to my embracing tired old tropes. I told you why I included that question if you choose not to read my response than this ceases to be a conversation and not really worth anybodys time. It was to see if someone could take a stab at breathing new life into a tired idea. Your taste in story telling is far too advanced to try anything so cliched as re-visitng a classic theme and putting it in a new light. It seems to me your counting yourself among that 1% of super skilled fantasy writers and idea generators- to completeley disregard any classic storytelling theme or device because its been done before.

Second point- hulk smash is a fine answer like I said in my previous reply. Either you cant read or are choosing not to- this quiz is for fun. No one fails. You dont have to fill out to get a spot. It encourages creativity and outside the box thinking which is my way of nudging the play away from a dynamic that i personally find boring much as you find my mysterious power question so grating.

You say this quiz will weed out 99% of gamers and leave ones just like me- who am I exactly? Are you going to presume to know who I am through my first and only thread on this forum??? Once again- this feels an awful lot like you are projecting some kind of bad experience or stereotype on me- and again its over a FUN quiz. You have no idea if I am an over controlling DM- another perfect example of attaching a bucket load of pre conceptions on me based on one idea I came here to get feedback on. Wow.

Your vaterland diatribe is a joke. How in the world can you deduce all this form A POST ASKING FOR FEEDBACK ON A QUIRKY QUIZ???

You are way oput of line comparing me to Hitler. This is not a poor me stop picking on me stance- this is a downright indignant Im dealing with a crazy person who has very serious anti authority issues to the point where he can really suggest that my friendly goofy entirely optional gaming quiz - somehow parallels me to the worst tragedy in human history.

The only thing scary going on in this thread is how easily you throw these terms around in regards to such a frivolous thing and how much you presume to know about me through one post on a roleplaying forum- lmao!! Go have yourself a diet coke and settle down muffin. Oh and one last thing. Before you presume to preach to me about what will happen in the long run- maybe do some research and refresh your memory a little as to what really went on in Auschwitz, Sobibor, and Treblinka. Try reading the diary of anne frank or watching Schindlers list and then come back here and tell me how it relates to your rolepaing hangups.

What a joke...

I've butted heads with rabkala on here several times - but I have to rise to his defense here (pretending for a moment that he needs it, which is doubtful).

I have had job interviews for positions paying over $50,000 per year that were less intrusive, more coherent and required less preparation time.

I have successfully gamed with dozens of people over the past 31 years that were unwilling or incapable of playing certain races and/or classes - who did a great job of what they enjoyed. It works a bit like tastes in books and movies - and some don't like what I like - but their RP-ing abilities work just fine in the group as a whole.

Regarding the answer to your 15th question for which you seemed particularly upset, all I have to say is that the idea of, "OMG, you don't know your parents but you have uber-powers," is a trope in gaming that - in my experience - is a big plot driver for new DM's. Just like the "Okay, let's stat YOU out, and you get zapped into a fantasy land," trope. I outgrew it about... 30 years ago. Obviously your tastes are different.

The idea that you want your players to be as super-skilled fantasy writers and idea generators as you seem to believe you are is just... sad. There are lots of people out there that are just PLAYERS that want to REACT to what the DM throws them. You can't get much of a back-story out of them, they don't care that the great Sword of Poop Throwing was once wielded by the mighty Paladin Bob of The Bay of Green - they just want to do the "Hulk" thing and swing it.

Personally, I believe that your efforts are going to weed out 99% of gamers out there, and the few that make it through your tests will be just like you. I was told by a very wise person once, that if two people are sitting at a table and they agree on everything, one of them doesn't need to be there. You won't be challenged as a DM - THEY won't be challenged as players - but, by gosh, you'll all be able to survive a stress interview for an over-controlling DM!!

rabkala may have been a bit short in his feedback to you - but I agree with him. You don't want a gaming group - you want an elite party of elite gamers that all believe in your elitist idea of what an elite gamer is... Gee, add blond hair and blue eyes and rabkala is spot on. YOU are able to play every race and every class. YOU have established what rules are in play and which rules-as-written you will toss out. There are quite a few people that are unable to play like you do. All you are trying to do is see if their idea of Der Vaterland matches your own. Sorry, but that's controlling to the point of being scary.

I recruit by meeting for coffee or a diet cola beverage. I ask how much experience they have, what fantasy books they like, what their favorite and least favorite character races and classes are, and to describe their favorite character, gaming session (one shot or part of a campaign arc) and a disastrous session. If I like them, I then ask if there are any special things I would need to know about them for them if I invite them along... things like knowing if they are devoutly religious (and what their worship days are - I don't want to schedule games when they are at worship!!), or that they can't stand to play dwarves, or they have a dog that has to come along... whatever.

That's it.

After one cup of coffee (or diet cola beverage), I can tell if I can tolerate you. I don't need to LIKE you to game with you. We don't need to agree on everything. I've gamed with every walk of life, every race, most religions, every sexual variety imaginable, and people from other political parties than my own... and we were successful. I don't need to know how they will react to a tired idea that juvenile game masters use in the first games that they run.

THIS is why rabkala said what he said, and this is why I agree with him. Don't jump on the, "Oh, stop picking on me," bandwagon and actually re-read what he and I have both said. It may help you in the long run.

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

One last point-

Thanks to Q-man, Derth, and Nijineko for the constructive feedback. I dont want to seem like a troll or antagonist Im just shocked at the response I got here. Believe it or not I really feel like a few posters contributed enough that i could re-work a decent model for this to be more streamlined, less time intensive and a little more fun. I feel like Ive also pinpointed a few contraversial areas that could maybe be avoided in the final draft. I appreciate that.

Sounds like the idea even has some appeal for others which I think is neat. If anything Id be interested to hear, or swap a few more effective or streamlined questions if anyone is pondering a similar exercise. Mind you if this post is locked or deleted Id completely understand- and thats why i wanted to use this last post as a chance to say thanks to the people that actually weighed in constructively.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Is that the type of forum you run? I have to ask in advance not to have my ideas belittled, chastised and ridiculed? I gladly abided by your edit of my post to subscribe to forum standards in regards to drug references- yet you still offer to "help" me by deleting this?

I dont want to presume to do your job but while you have your editing stick out maybe take a second look at this gem:

Whats more damaging my drug reference or making light of the holocaust?

:mod:

Monkiesthrowingpoop: If you didn't want to have people give negative responses to your initial post, you should have included that in the post. Also, don't put in later posts that you said something particular, when a check of the referenced something is not specifically there. You can't presume that people will know what you are trying to say without specifically doing so. What would you do if you met a potential player sometime and after handing them this questionaire, they actually responded the way rabkala's first post indicated that he would do if that would ever happen to himself sometime. You have to realize that not everyone is going to have the same gaming style as you. If you don't want negative feedback, I can assist by deleting this entire thread and you can start a new one that includes a sentence that states there is to be nothing posted that is negative in any way.

Malruhn: I will simply state that you could of handled the spelling and grammar thing better, by just suggesting to use a word processing program to help catch such things. Also, some folks may not have that available to them. Some may not be as computer savy to do so. And some, like myself, may not have the time to get it typed up on one piece of software, copy it, then get onto a website and locate the thread that it is to be copied to.

Rabkala: I am impressed that you have showed restraint so far as of this post. I hope you will continue. The only thing that may have helped to show (as I read and took your post) that you were talking about a hypothetical meeting, would to have said that if you were meeting someone about joining their group and they handed you such a questionaire, this would be your response to that person at the meeting.

I will be keeping a watch on this thread. If needed, it could get closed or deleted.

cplmac
06-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Will bring this whole thing to the attention to the site Administrator/Owner.

nijineko
06-29-2011, 12:14 AM
ara. if i had more time, i would definitely give a more detailed constructive feedback on a per question basis. ^^ i somehow managed to miss the online-only reference (which makes a difference, imo,) which to be honest, was my sole source of gaming for many years. from an online only perspective, my response would be more positive in general, though i might balk at the length/number of questions if there were easier or more promising possible connections somewhere.

oddly enough, i saw a play-by-post game on this forum which used a poll-like question and answer response using a bunch of whimsical questions and images which determined stats and some starting options. the response to this was overwhelmingly positive.

glancing it over briefly and over yours, there are many similarities... seems the main difference is the multiple choice and the images. the quirky questions are basically the same. heh. the more i look, the less i mind the questions. ^^ ah well. hope you have better experiences here on the forum from here on out.

rabkala
07-02-2011, 01:16 AM
:yawn:

stonebreaker
07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
As to the 1st point at the start of this thread. Yes. All wizards have, IMO, a different way of writing their spells down in their own spell books. That is what the "Read Magic" spell is for. To read other Wizards magical tomes.
A friend of mine and I were talking about this very thing today.
Stonebreaker

Monkiesthrowingpoop
07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Violence and assine comments are never the answer.
If you feel like acting out. Reach out.
Go to nationalsave.org (http://nationalsave.org/)or any other youth violence prevention source for information how to find an alternative to violence.

Whats the dumbest part of this post? Claiming these posts are violent? Adding youth violence to the list of inappropriate subject matter you choose to make light of? Or the fact that you misspelled the word "asinine"- a word you strategically chose to sound clever?

Im not even sure if I can pick one...

rabkala
07-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Whoa that's way out of line! Seriously dude- next I'll have my my grammar lambasted!
So misspelled and illogical posts bother you suddenly? Funny.

Public service messages are supposed to be a fun thing for kicks.

Can't we all just get along?

Malruhn
07-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Its a quirky idea. Its only elitist if your answers had any impact on "getting the gig"- which it doesnt. Its not meant as a tool to weed anyone out. Its not meant to cater to a 1% demographic of uber gamer/writers. I have said multiple times that players could pick and choose any questions they found interesting. In fact the biggest feedback I got were from long time friends gamers who just enjoyed filling it out. I wrote it as something I thought would be fun as a player. I cant make this anymore clear- nobody fails this quiz. If you answer hulk smash- thats a legitimate answer. You dont get kicked out for it. If you dont want to do it- thats also fine. If we go for coffee and you say- I was kind of mulling over that one scenario on that quiz you sent over and I thought such and such was a neat idea- than its more than served its purpose.
<<<SNIP>>>

Hey to any posters out there who didnt like my idea can you please shorten your answers to something more polite? How about just removing the ones that arent constructive criticism in regards to the post? In fact thats perfect- Im only asking for responses that pertain to making this completely innocent idea more palletable, effective or entertaining. Please remove any anti semetic posts at this time.

Thanks for your co-operation in this perfectly reasonable regard.

Okay, just for you.

Your first post on here says that you are thinking of giving this "quirky" quiz to those you meet through classified ads... to what end? By the words you use in your second post, it would appear that you are truly evaluating the answers and feel that it is totally appropriate to inform the person which answers are either incorrect, off base or aren't answered appropriately. In anyone's book, this is considered, "controlling." With your responses to those of us that attempted feedback, your apparent outrage has led us to think that you are, indeed, both controlling and elitist. In a nutshell, this is what we read:

You: Here's a quiz I'm thinking of giving to prospective players. Tell me what you think, and if you want, answer the questions!
Us: This is our honest opinion.
You: Well, you misunderstood these questions, answered these few correctly, and are totally off base on others. Why did you bother?
Us: We bothered because you asked for input about a topic that is near and dear to our hearts - and we want to see everyone succeed.
You: Well, you didn't do it correctly - and now you are calling me names!
Us: ...

The ONLY way we have to get to know each other on here is through our written words - unless some of us are lucky enough to live close to someone else. If one of us wants to bring strongly accented language onto these boards (like AOL L33T speech), they will be mocked. Language used on other boards may not be appropriate here - even attempts at hiding "curse" words can be changed by the Mods - so even though you are used to using other boards, please do not assume that the same manner of speaking will be welcomed here. Typos tend to be overlooked - even by anal-spelling folks like me - because I know how easy it is to type, "Teh" instead of, "The". Outside of simple typos caused by thick fingers (or those of us that think at 300 words per minute and can only type at 60 wpm), yes, we do get a bit testy. This is a discussion board - not a chat room. This means that you have all the time you need to compose your posts without resorting to abbreviations best left to 14-year-old kids on cell phones. It also means that you can use simple - and FREE - spell check features or programs that are available.

Dude you presume so much its nearly impossible to argue with you.

Question 15- tired trope- my tastes are not different in regards to my embracing tired old tropes. I told you why I included that question if you choose not to read my response than this ceases to be a conversation and not really worth anybodys time. It was to see if someone could take a stab at breathing new life into a tired idea. Your taste in story telling is far too advanced to try anything so cliched as re-visitng a classic theme and putting it in a new light. It seems to me your counting yourself among that 1% of super skilled fantasy writers and idea generators- to completeley disregard any classic storytelling theme or device because its been done before.

To help you out - here's the "answer" to which you refer:

15- This is actually the answer that bothers me the most (obviously). If you noticed it was saved as the last question and it is intentionally very contrived . The idea was actually to see if a potential player could take the most over used cliche in sci-fi/fantasy and deliver it in a unique way or at the very least with a twist that gave it some character. Giving a very bland, generic answer would be a red flag that this player might not have the creative muscle for the type of role play heavy/story driven campaign I was running. I guess your answer of crying and finding a new gm would be a warning sign too though- lmao!!
Second point- hulk smash is a fine answer like I said in my previous reply. Either you cant read or are choosing not to- this quiz is for fun. No one fails. You dont have to fill out to get a spot. It encourages creativity and outside the box thinking which is my way of nudging the play away from a dynamic that i personally find boring much as you find my mysterious power question so grating.

What you see as a question that was "saved as the last question," others see as number 15 on a 15 question quiz, and serves as a perfect example of what I (and others) have called your "elitist" attitude. If we are unable to offer an answer that is up to your standards, we get a red flag?!

Do you remember the types of books you read when you were young? When you look back at them now, they all are nothing but tired tropes that have been beaten to death. For a personal example, I once had the ENTIRE Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan series of books - all 96 of them. Outside of the first and two others, they all had the same plot - let's go explore, what's this - a new (lost) tribe/civilization? Plot device resolved. 90 books with the same plot. Looking back at it now, I am amazed that they held my attention for as long as they did. This is why I reacted the way I did when I read question 15. I envisioned gaming with new DM's that I've seen in the past that would look up from behind the screen and announce, "Here's a brand new idea! The king summons you and announces that his daughter has been captured by the evil red dragon and he wants you to rescue her."

You offered no backstory or reasoning for why you included this question - it is just a quick question at the end of a quiz that really seemed to be an exercise to exclude gamers (and by your own words is intended to grade the performance of answerers!!). This is exactly the reason that I (and others) have said that you appear to be elitist and only want those that match your high standards. Please remember that we ONLY get our info by reading your printed words - inflection, facial expression and the thoughts behind the words are not available to us to make these conclusions.

You see it as an opportunity to judge our reactions to it - while those of us that have gamed for a while see it as just another game of tic-tac-toe that we stopped playing many years ago. There's only so much you can do with something that tired. You see it as new and fresh - and it is from this that I drew my conclusion that you are a new player/DM.

You say this quiz will weed out 99% of gamers and leave ones just like me- who am I exactly? Are you going to presume to know who I am through my first and only thread on this forum??? Once again- this feels an awful lot like you are projecting some kind of bad experience or stereotype on me- and again its over a FUN quiz. You have no idea if I am an over controlling DM- another perfect example of attaching a bucket load of pre conceptions on me based on one idea I came here to get feedback on. Wow.
Yup, I do so presume. I used your own words to draw my conclusions. If I am wrong, then it was YOUR responsibility to use words that conveyed the proper language and intention.

Your vaterland diatribe is a joke. How in the world can you deduce all this form A POST ASKING FOR FEEDBACK ON A QUIRKY QUIZ???

You are way oput of line comparing me to Hitler. This is not a poor me stop picking on me stance- this is a downright indignant Im dealing with a crazy person who has very serious anti authority issues to the point where he can really suggest that my friendly goofy entirely optional gaming quiz - somehow parallels me to the worst tragedy in human history.

Actually, the use of the term, "Nazi," was what we call a metaphor and is a rhetorical tool that is used to demonstrate direct relations between two ideas. Your quiz and language has demonstrated that you seem to be extraordinarily elitist and controlling, and take offense very easily. The term, "Nazi" was used to show a direct analogy to their elitist, controlling and easily offended ways. By no means has anyone attempted to make light of the horrors that they visited upon this world - I'm sorry - except for you. We are attempting to show how you are representing yourself, and you are completely missing the point because of your elitist attitude. From what is here on this ONE thread you've created, it is obvious that you do not think that you might possibly be incorrect about anything - and this is seen by the rest of humanity as very elitist.

The only thing scary going on in this thread is how easily you throw these terms around in regards to such a frivolous thing and how much you presume to know about me through one post on a roleplaying forum- lmao!! Go have yourself a diet coke and settle down muffin. Oh and one last thing. Before you presume to preach to me about what will happen in the long run- maybe do some research and refresh your memory a little as to what really went on in Auschwitz, Sobibor, and Treblinka. Try reading the diary of anne frank or watching Schindlers list and then come back here and tell me how it relates to your rolepaing hangups.

What a joke...
I have explained why we "know" about you... we use your own words. If we are wrong, then it is your own fault for providing the incorrect words. I thank you for your offer of reading material, but I have researched the death camps quite extensively and found that elitism, those seeking control over all they saw and the trait of taking offense easily were three of the main causes of the camps being built and run so successfully for as long as they lasted. The other two are fictionalized accounts of those times - and serve to demonstrate my point exactly.

They relate to my "roleplaying hangups" in that I do not enjoy gaming with those that believe that their style is "better" than others' styles, I do not enjoy gaming with those that try to railroad players and campaigns with their controlling attitudes, and I do not enjoy gaming with those that are easily offended.

You have demonstrated all three traits.

You asked for feedback. It was given. Just say, "Thank you," and get on with your search for players.