View Full Version : Starting up a 1st edition ad&d pbem, need some players

Jason_Chaotic
06-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Looking to start up a 1st edition ad&d pbem:

highly detailed homebrew campaign setting
all pc's starting out at 1st level
lots of customizations/homebrew rules
3+ turns/per week

for more details just pm me and I'll fill you in. Looking for mature players with some 1st edition experience.

Nir
06-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Haven't played AD&D in eons. What can you tell us about the campaign setting and the homebrew rules?

Jason_Chaotic
06-13-2011, 06:32 PM
The campaign setting is homebrew. The starting area is in a kingdom called Nyr, which is fairly similar to Medieval France (http://scarlor.pbworks.com/w/page/14798196/FrontPage)
Homebrew rules: magic users get bonus spells for high INT as clerics do with WIS bonus clerical spells, demi-humans can level beyond the imposed experience level caps as well. Don't really feel like naming ALL of them, its quite a handful. I'll be posting them up at some point.

Nir
06-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi Jason,

I like the effort and input you placed into your campaign so far. It's truly amazing. My only reservations are due to my record of losing interest in PbP games. I'd rather think it over before committing myself and disappoint you and the other gamers later on. Good luck nonetheless.
BTW, how many players (and which slots) were taken so far?

Jason_Chaotic
06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Not a prob, attrition tends to be a given with online pbem's.

So far I have a human ranger, elven fighter/thief, human female druid, male human mu, and a dhampir fighter/cleric (half human/vampire custom race)
with a possible half-elf thief/mage

Nir
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Still debating. It looks like you have a full crew though. Between all the multi-classes you have the following (in 5 or 6 PCs):

1x Ranger
2x Fighters
1x Thief
1x Druid
1x Cleric
1x MU
plus the thief/mage optional.

A few more questions:
What's the group's general alignment (I'm asking because I might go for the paladin or a bard PC)?
What method do you use to create the PCs?

Jason_Chaotic
06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Actually its more like: 1 ranger, 1 fighter/thief, 1 fighter/cleric, 1 druid, 1 mage, 1 cleric/thief

if you're thinking of a bard, you'll have to start off as a fighter and switch to druid later on (1st edition doesn't have bard as a straight class)

general alignment is good, with a little neutral. No evil characters as of yet. Note that one of the character's is a non-standard player race (dhampir) that the paladin may have issue with.

Nir
06-20-2011, 11:52 PM
There's a bard in the appendix of the 1st edition book who goes through the progression of fighter for a few levels, than a thief and eventually as a bard. Would you allow me to use that class if I wanted to play (it is in the PH)?

I have a few modifications I'd like to speak to you about that class first (nothing too drastic) if you'll allow it.

Firstly, the title "bard" is very Celtic (like "druid"). There are many civilizations that had similar positions under different titles. Without changing any of the class features, would you allow me to play the class under a different title - philosopher (the Greek version) or academic (renaissance version)? I feel either one might suit your campaign better.

Secondly, the rules somehow only allow one to wield a second weapon if the weapon in the off-hand is either a dagger or an axe. Would you allow me to use 2 short swords or 2 cutlasses (scimitar types)?

Lastly, the class seems to not progress in attack progression once he hits bard levels. Which seems rather retarded seeing that even MU progress and as far as I know the bard has not forsaken violence and decided the charm every monster he's going to encounter once he reaches high levels. He's just as likely to be involved in melee as he was before (if not more so). Would you allow for the class to continue progressing as a druid once he hits bard levels? Of course this is a long term question as there's a while to go before he even gets to be a "certified" bard.

Jason_Chaotic
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I'd allow the change of 'name' if it I deem it meshes well with my current homebrew milieu. Something like warrior-philosopher perhaps or simply philosopher might do nicely.

As for the thac0 progression, I see your point and I'll allow progression. I'll prob whip up a different kind of thac0 progression matrix for him at that point IF he should be lucky enough to make it that far we'll couch the conversation til then.

Nir
06-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Great. So what rules/guidelines do you use to make PC's?
You mentioned that you had some homebrew rules.

redleaf
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Is there still room?