PDA

View Full Version : Level 8 sorcerer VS Clay Golem! HALP! D:

Geode
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
A'ight, so my DM hinted that for one of my level 8 sorcerer's arena matches, I might be up against a clay golem. I have a feeling that I'm toast, but I'm going to give that fight my best shot. Which means I'm going to fight using unconventional means. I'm totally open for ideas here. I have a feeling that I'm going to get PWNed.

Here's the idea that I came up with. Use a Wall of Ice scroll to completely surround the golem in ice. (perhaps cast it twice for doubly-thick walls) Use one of those water creation scrolls/wands that I've seen around the forums to fill the whole thing with water (or fill a bag of holding full of water before hand and dump it out). Use mage hand to stir the water, or prod the golem with a quarterstaff to help it along it's dissolving process. Leave it in until it either dissolves or breaks out. If it breaks out, it will be partially deformed because of the water, which leaves it vulnerable to my next move: Wall of Fire. High heats like that will cause it to "high fire" into a solid deformed state.
If all else fails, fire a tree that has shrink cast upon it into the golem and cancel the spell.

Yeah, that's pretty lame, I know. Plenty of things could go horribly wrong. Can anyone suggest any other ways to defeat a clay golem at level 8?

rabkala
06-03-2011, 10:10 PM
A clay golem is a magical construct held together by not only the forces of magic, but also elemental spirits bound to the automaton. So, your fanciful real world style ideas could only fly in a game where the D&D 3.X rules are meaningless.

Then again, a clay golem is a CR 10. That would be an appropriate challenge for a group of 4 average 10Th level PC's, not an 8Th level Sorc by himself.

It still may be possible... though you do not have access to move earth, disintegrate, or earthquake spells. You must first fly, levitate, or otherwise keep yourself away from the big scary damage dealer. Since any spells that allow spell resistance are a waste on a golem, your best friend should be summoning spells. Any monsters you could summon will be mostly ineffectual against a golem due to it's damage reduction (though there may be something). I would load up with spells like orb of force/fire/cold/electricity and the lesser orb spells as well, because they offer no spell resistance and no real saving throw. Pound away with those spells from range, and you could win.

There could be a few other things that could work, but more info about your character and game would be needed.

nijineko
06-04-2011, 11:04 AM
the best possibility might be if you could somehow manage to get a hold of a necklace of golembane. fairly cheap as magic items go.

if you could either make or summon something that could create a pit and drop it in... possibly help bury it too.

a lot will depend on your spell selection. considering its immunity to all spells except for ones specified in its description and its damage reduction, its going to be quite difficult to overcome. unless you have a reliable method of dealing enough damage to exceed its dr, you will be in for quite the fight. other than damage, neutralizing its ability to fight or immobilizing it is the only way to "win".

unless there are extra environmental conditions in the arena that you could take advantage of cleverly, if you have no method to exceed dr, reliably damage it, or immobilize it... then frankly, it is not a fight you are capable of winning, and maybe should point that out to the dm.

Geode
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
So, your fanciful real world style ideas could only fly in a game where the D&D 3.X rules are meaningless.

Pshhh, the rules always get in the way of my fun. XD Actually, I sort of figured. They've gotta stick together somehow, yes? I've worked with soft clay before. It doesn't like to sit together after it's been stressed.

Levitate sounds like a lovely idea. So long as the golem doesn't figure out how to throw things, I should be safe.

I was looking at the summon monster groups and was rather disappointed. None of them look powerful enough to penetrate the DR. I think the orb spells are going to be my best bet. They do some pretty good damage even for the 1st level version. Of course, I just got my 8th level and could choose to learn the 4th level version for 8d6 damage instead of 4d8. I had my heart set on wall of fire, though. I guess that'll have to wait. My dex is uber for a sorcerer, so I'm not too worried about hitting. I should still stock up on scrolls just in case.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

unless there are extra environmental conditions in the arena that you could take advantage of cleverly, if you have no method to exceed dr, reliably damage it, or immobilize it... then frankly, it is not a fight you are capable of winning, and maybe should point that out to the dm.
Hahah, but those are the best kinds of fights! You get to boast about it if you win! :D

Golembane removes the DR for your attacks, right? I've got some ranged weapons. If I mix that with the fly spell I should be able to just poke him to death. XD That works!

nijineko
06-05-2011, 01:06 AM
quite true. i recall the time i managed to take on a full adult blue dragon almost singlehandedly with a 9th-ish level character. and win.

golembane is quite useful, and for so cheap!

rabkala
06-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Yes, the Golembane Scarab is a very good value Mr PrismaticPsion. I had considered the spell Golem strike (from the Complete Adventurer), but due to the 1 round duration and the limited fighting ability of most magic users had discounted it.

nijineko
06-05-2011, 09:58 AM
there are also a couple of feats that allow one to better affect golems / constructs, complete adventurer and/or scoundrel and book of nine swords (iirc), and now that i think of it, there might be a weapon crystal that helps with that as well.

wizarddog
06-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I was looking at the summon monster groups and was rather disappointed. None of them look powerful enough to penetrate the DR.

Lantern Archon light rays ignore DR. If you can get a higher level scroll of monster summoning you can try and summon more of them and have them float around taking pot shots at the Golem while you focus on being not seen or hit by the golem (Greater invisibility or just invisibility if you only summon). You can grab the target with Evard's Black Tentacles (which are unaffected by SR) Sleet swarm will change the terrain to be icy and unless it makes a DC 10 balance check to move only 1/2. Other wise it doesn't move or can fall prone (plus it can't see anything). Solid fog will also reduce its speed to mere 5 feet (making the haste movement useless) Even web can offer resistance to its movement. Grease will always be a great spell in your arsenal. And the clay golem is mindless but can be fooled by figment illusions (like silent image). Technically, it would continue to attack an illusion if it reacting to it damaging it) (i.e your using greater invisibility and only the illusion is running around visually). Though it may stop pounding it once it realizes it is not doing any damage, by it moving again and the golem being attacked again, it would zero in on the illusion once more BECAUSE IT IS MINDLESS. Though don't expect your DM to play that way ;).

Buff spells you can use also include spider climb so you can climb the walls, fly to fly around, Stoneskin for your own DR,

You can also change the terrain by making make a pit of stone with stone shape (18 feet unless you use some meta magic).

nijineko
06-08-2011, 11:33 PM
very nice list. thank you for the details i was too lazy to look up. ^^

EpicSpire
06-17-2011, 01:30 PM
do you have a polymorph spell, polymorph self or other? or have access to any of those scrolls?

that spell will greatly tip the scales toward your favor.

use your imagination and your character's knowledge to polymorph yourself into something that will PWN the golem,.. or polymorph the golem into somethiing you can PWN,. like a chair,.. a wooden chair,.. the burn it... or turn it to a Golden Throne and sit on as your victory seat.

rabkala
06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
At level 8, he does not have access to Baleful Polymorph or Polymorph Any Object. Both spells allow Spell Resistance, so would not work on a Golem anyway! With Polymorph, he still keeps his bad BAB, class level, hit points, and base save bonuses and gets none of the the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form, no supernatural abilities or qualities, no spell-like abilities, nor more attacks. It really doesn't help much in 3.5, he would still be fighting a more powerful creature and have to get past the damage reduction 10/adamantine and bludgeoning. Go ahead come up with any 8 HD form he could assume, and golem should still win.