PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon World

fifthangel69
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I recently ran across this book of never ending dungeons along with a couple of its expansion books,DW- Catacombs, and DW- Secrets of the EnemyCapital. I also ran across another called DW- Maze Trials, but Amazon, Half, Barnes and Noble, and everone else was out of it. Would like some reviews/ opinions/etc on each of them if you care to share. Thanks.

gdmcbride
04-13-2007, 01:28 AM
I recently ran across this book of never ending dungeons along with a couple of its expansion books,DW- Catacombs, and DW- Secrets of the EnemyCapital. I also ran across another called DW- Maze Trials, but Amazon, Half, Barnes and Noble, and everone else was out of it. Would like some reviews/ opinions/etc on each of them if you care to share. Thanks.

Dungeon World. Ha. Yeah. By the late and rarely missed Fast Forward Games, these books are (mostly) crap and one of my dark secrets.

Just became my name appears on the credit pages of DW: Catacombs and (I think) DW: SotEC does not mean I am proud of the work. I don't believe Maze Trials was ever actually published.

The fundamental idea isn't a bad one -- a dungeon you wake up in with no memory of how you got there in an endless underground maze that goes on forever and seems to have no purpose (at first)... As you explore the Dungeon World you begin to realize the terrible truth of this world and its dread and secret purpose. It takes the very cliched genre of the dungeon crawl and turns it on its head.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... the execution is terrible. Suffice it to say that FFG had perhaps the worst production methodology of any game company I have ever worked for. Editing is terrible. Playtesting was entirely absent. Game content is dubious at best.

My recommendation, give it a pass. Maybe the first book is worth a look at for the base ideas and if you can get it cheap. Maybe.

Instead buy a big dungeon map either by acquiring the old "The Ruins of Undermountain" box set(s) or by buying "The Dungeon Under the Mountain" PDFs from 0one games (that's zero-one games). Populate them yourself either with homebrew encounters or stuff stolen from better releases like Dungeon Magazine or Goodman Game's Dungeon Crawl Classics or WOTC's upcoming Expedition series or ... anything really.

Just some friendly advice.

Gary

fifthangel69
04-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Thank you very much for your input. They say curiosity killed the cat, so I probably will seek out a cheap copy of the 1st book on eBay/Half.com/or Amazon just to see for myself, although I'm 99.9% confident in what you are saying.

Digital Arcanist
04-14-2007, 11:22 PM
If you are going to use some Undermountain stuff then read Escape from Undermountain by Mark Anthony.....there are some great ideas in there you can modify a little.

Halaster was one twisted wizard

The Wandering Bard
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Darn Digital Arcanist beat me to the punch. That book has some really good ideas for a dungeon crawl, plus some history on the place for background on your dungeon.

Nice Call, Digital Arcanist.

Moritz
08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
http://www.james.neetersoft.com/wld/wld.htm

check here for maps, if you're really needing them

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 12:43 AM
There is a new dungeons series of novels from WotC set in the Forgotten Realms series. They are usually entertaining reads and give some great ideas and layouts for traps and maps. They are good starting points, or a seed if you will that if nurtured will grow into a mighty oak of a dungeon. Dungeon trees often grow fruit that is highly toxic to PC's........

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I like to use AutoCad or one if its free versions to design maps. There are numerous libraries for pre-built structures like houses and vegetation. I also like the fact that you can print the map out and the squares are the perfect size. I've eliminated the need for markers and those dry-erase grids. With the cost of printing these days, I actually only spend a few bucks at the local university shop to print blue-print sized maps. The best part is that I can laminate them and save them for another adventure if I come up with an exceedingly good dungeon.

Sometimes I like to award the map to the MVP of the dungeon. My players get a kick out it and it can lessen the sting of losing gear or the death of a PC.