PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone like this? Or is it just me?

bradplogsted
05-30-2011, 10:59 AM
In the very near future, a most unlikely confluence of events occur that bring together a ragtag band of key players, forever altering the fate of mankind, ergo, changing the world as we know it.

Is this fate, providence, or just an occurrence as likely as shaking up Scrabble tiles will eventually spell out a Shakespeare sonnet? It’s for you to decide.

Growing up, your characters always felt a little different, like sometimes you were playing outside the walls of the metaphorical sandbox. You might have never even known you were “off” – maybe you thought everyone was like this. Like the color blind – confusion occurs between red and green, and they adapt – but for you, the opposite: colors in the world reach grand and indescribable beauty, but since you can’t see the world from anyone else’s eyes, you think you’re normal. Some thing(s) about your character are at the extreme of human limits. No one’s stopping bullets or, God forbid, shooting lasers out of their eyes or flying.

Like when you’ve got one left in the chamber of your Glock and you pick up your felled companion’s 6-piece revolver in your left hand, your fiancé is being dragged out the fire escape by two thugs, and a pull of one trigger would spell her certain doom: with a simultaneous click of both triggers, a bullet from each gun hits its respective target – the assailants’ dark hearts – well, you KNOW something’s a little “off.”

I am running a “modern world” game with a simple non-d20 system that facilitates a fast pace with no need for miniatures on a grid: the Storytelling system of the new World of Darkness RPG (no horror though). Your character does not have to know how to fire a gun or throw a punch – everyone will be involved no matter their expertise. That’s the key though, your character is very accomplished in at least one aspect of the human experience: chemistry, track & field, politics, archery, or the classical guitar – the choices are vast, and you decide. You can develop more than one extreme talent (if you can afford it at character creation). Maybe you’ve just won the Man Booker prize for literature but your hobby is building robots. The system is very easy to learn (I just read through the rulebook once and am ready to play). You do not need to know a thing about it before the first session other than bring a bunch of d10s.

What kind of stories would you like to tell? Political intrigue? Mafioso mishap-ery? Secret government programmery? Fringe occult or survivalist misadventures? Pirate raiding on the high seas? I will tailor the game around the players' interests.

I would like to play twice a month in person, in the evening, any day of the week.

Thanks!

thadrine
05-31-2011, 08:20 AM
If it is bi-weekly I would certainly be interested in playing. But what day to you intend to run it. Friday nights would probably work best for us.

bradplogsted
06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Friday can work. I'm up for any day that works best for everyone.

If on a M-F, I can't start until 6. Or later if there's additional travel time. I live close to downtown and can host.

thadrine
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I also live about 5min away from the new game store in Eastgate, http://www.meetup.com/SOGG-Eastside-Cincy-RPG-Meetup/, and I have a room in my house for gameing. Also, I may have a few other players interested, if you are still looking for more.

bradplogsted
06-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds good. How many players?

I was envisioning a first session discussion of everyone's expectations: theme, game pace, characters, and the system.

thadrine
06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Probably about 1-2 there were up until yesterday, but he is starting to be a little flaky. I pm'ed you my email and cell number if you want to talk more about setting this up.