PDA

View Full Version : Space: 1889 To Boldly Go

Lazarus
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
This is a start up Play by Post game using in the Space: 1889 setting and the Savage Worlds rules set. If there is enough interest, I am willing to consider shifting to a chat based game on this forum. This Victorian Era Science Fiction setting is completely unique and brilliantly written. Travel between the worlds in an Ethership, come see the stately Martian skygalleons soaring above the dry hot sands of Mars, slog through the jungles of Venus, or learn the deepest secrets of our solar system. There are empires and fortunes to be made and villainous foes to foil for those with the metal to seize the opportunity.

pruttm
05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I'll give it a go.

Lazarus
05-01-2011, 02:01 PM
If we can get two more players, we can get started.

gorteck
05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I do not have the rules but I would love to play. This is a game that I always wanted to play. Can we play by Skype?

Lazarus
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
You will not have to have the rules, especially the Red Sands setting book. However, the Explorer's Edition of the core Savage Worlds rules are available at DrivThruRPG for only $10. I have not explored Skype or any of the other video gaming yet. I'd like to get the game moving either as PbP or chat first before advancing to video gaming.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

UPDATE: Between here and tangledweb.com, there have been enough responses that I believe we can proceed to the next part of getting this campaign going. First, this game will start as a PbP here on penandpapergames.com. Whether the game progresses to chat or even video format will depend on participation.

It is time for characters and I will provide the following guidelines:

I am extremely open to a wide variety of characters, but remember the era of the setting - that late 19th century. Racism is the standard of the day and anyone making a minority character is going to have limited options for a career and will face repeated challenges. I have a VERY strong aversion to PCs with mental problems as most gamers simply do not know how to portray such problem well, which is a good thing, and because mental problems are usually just a means to act psychotic or to justify the typical D&D hack and slash behavior. I have no problem with a PC that is very wealthy or comes from nobility, but members of royal families will not be accepted. Per the standard Savage Worlds character generation rules, everyone will start as Novices. Each PC starts with a d4 in each attribute, and has 5 points with which to raise them at the cost of 1 point per increasing an attribute by a die type (IE to go from d4 to d6 costs 1 point to go to d8 would cost a total of 2 points). You will have 15 points for skills. Each skill starts at d4 and each die type in a skill costs 1 point up to the linked attribute. Going over the linked attribute costs 2 points per level (IE Stealth is linked to Agility. If your Agility is d6, you purchase Stealth of d4 for 1 point. Another point will buy you Stealth d6, but if you try to go to Stealth d8 which is over your attribute of Agility d6, it would cost you 2 points. Charisma is derived from bonuses or penalties from Edges and Hindrances. Staring Pace is 6. Parry is equal to 2 plus half Fighting and Toughness is equal to 2 plus half Vigor. Beginning Edges and Hindrances are per the standard rules.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.