PDA

View Full Version : New Profile Fields -- YOUR OPINION REQUESTED

Farcaster
04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
In preparation for adding a new campaign posting tool, I am adding some new profile fields that will help match players to campaigns. In addition to all the current fields, I'm planning on adding the fields you see below. What do you think of these profile questions and options? Can you think of any others you'd really like to see? Your input is humbly requested.

---

Preferred Play Style
What balance of combat/strategic play versus roleplaying do you prefer?
No Preference
100% Roleplaying / Virtually No Combat
75% Roleplaying / 25% Combat
50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
75% Combat / 25% Roleplaying
100% Combat / Virtually No Roleplaying Desired Playing Frequency
How often are you available and want to game?
Daily
Weekly - 3 or more games per week
Weekly - 2 games per week
Weekly - Once per week
Monthly - 3 or more games per month.
Monthly - 2 games per month.
Monthly - Once per month.
Bi-Monthly
Very Infrequently or Restricted Scheduled (Generally Available Less than 6 times per year) Ideal Group Size
What size of group do you prefer to play in?
No Preference
Very Large Groups (10 or more players)
Large Groups (7 or more players)
Medium Groups (Between 4 and 6 players)
Small Groups (Between 2 and 3 players)
Solo (One on One Player and DM) Online RPGs?
Are you interested in playing online via OpenRPG, KloOge, IRC, Instant Messaging, etc?
Yes
No

Grimwell
04-08-2007, 09:18 AM
This would be a great addition and pretty useful. I'm leery of the percentages up top, because it's really hard to quantify, but it's still useful as an approximation.

PhishStyx
04-08-2007, 03:55 PM
To tell the truth, the frequency that I can get together varies depending on several factors, notably among them - my wife's job and where the game is.

If I'm hosting the game, I can play virtually any night of the week; otherwise, it varies based on her schedule due to me needing to be here with my daughter.

That makes answering the 2nd question very difficult in my individual situation for example.

Farcaster
04-08-2007, 04:03 PM
That might put you in the Restricted Schedule category, which would tell the person planning a game that your schedule might change week to week. So, as a result, the GM couldn't plan on you being able to attend every game.

SeniorCIA253
04-08-2007, 05:01 PM
great idea would make finding people who like the same style of play and availability easier.

Ed Zachary
04-09-2007, 07:43 AM
great idea would make finding people who like the same style of play and availability easier.

Finding people is never a problem.

Finding people that are reasonably close is.

SeniorCIA253
04-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Finding people is never a problem.

Finding people that are reasonably close is.

Good point.

WarBeast
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
The more input that a player or GM can filter the better group he will find. But, that won't help me yet as I can't find ANY types of players in my area yet...

dio1632
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Some of us like 100% roleplay, but varied amounts of combat... The two are not mutually exclusive. One can keep in mind one's characters persona and limitations in combat, as well as in other situations.

Ed Zachary
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
The more input that a player or GM can filter the better group he will find. But, that won't help me yet as I can't find ANY types of players in my area yet...

Question #1... Do you have a pulse?
a) yes
b) No
c) Does it really matter?

dragonmamma
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
I think the filters are a good addition as long as the ppl reading them understand that life changes all of our answers from time to time...

Travis_Del_Dragon_Shaman
04-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I like pretty much everything that you've presented. As for the percentages, I would suggest possibly making a line spectrum l-----------l
like so, and one side would be roleplaying, while the other side is combat. You could from this point either make a number chart from 1 to 10, or create a dial that users can manually move to the appropriate spot on the spectrum.

Just an idea.

Farcaster
04-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I like the sliding bar idea -- perhaps in a later implementation I will be able to do that. In any case, these new profile fields are live and available to be completed on your profile.

Enjoy!

The Wandering Bard
04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Hello, as to your request, I think those questions are very helpful in the LFP, LFG searchs, also as a new member to this site i think that they helped me to figure out what i prefered as well. i think this new system is very good and will serve to aid both sides. Thanks for your hardwork.

The Wandering Bard

Revolt268
04-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Hello, as to your request, I think those questions are very helpful in the LFP, LFG searchs, also as a new member to this site i think that they helped me to figure out what i prefered as well. i think this new system is very good and will serve to aid both sides. Thanks for your hardwork.

The Wandering Bard

What he said:cool:

Actually on my own note, I do like what you have done so far. Its one of the reasons I decided to sign up for this forum. Saddly, I can't think of anything to add. All I can think about currently is the speed of my clock and hope that no one calls for more support when I only have 20 minutes left:eek: of work.

Keep up the good work dude.

I thought of something that I would like to see added. What roles you like to place in a game and alignments you prefer(when they apply). I know some people are like myself who can play any area and enjoy it, but there are some people out there who only play set rolls. For example, I am about to start a campaign dealing with The Nine Layers of Hell, most of my players will be Evil and it turns out this works out well for one of them, whom always playes evil. She refuses to place anything else. This could throw a kill joy into some games, while others just need a little tweak. I'm not sure if its the best of ideas, cause I know how often people change their minds. As for the roles, it could be as simple as Caster, melee, or support. Since I know not all rpgs are the same, they usually share those qualities in classes. But just something to throw out there, now feel free to destroy it.