PDA

View Full Version : Online D&D 4E

SpiralZanta
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Hello this is Spiral Zanta. I decided to make a D&D Campaign and I want some players for this campaign.

I will be using the Player Handbooks #1, Player Handbook #2, Dungeon Master Guide #1, Monster Manual #1, Adventure's Vault #1. However if someone really wants to use some books from the essential series such as Heroes of the Fallen lands and Heroes of the forgotten kingdoms; then I will have to think about it if other players(majority of the group) desire to use the essential series books for this campaign then I will comply with the request.

I'm not quite sure what VOIP software I'm going to use because there have been some problems with my internet connection but I'm going to have to fix that soon. Anyway I will be willing to use the following VOIP software Ventrilo,Skype, or Mumble. I will however be testing each VOIP software for what I think is the best to use on my end for certain reasons. I will be using the maptools program to generate the map and play D&D on.

The times I will be available for D&D session will be Thursday,Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I want this to be a weekly occurrence and at least have 3-4 hours and can be longer (8 hours is my limit). I'm looking at somewhere between 4 p.m to 9 p.m for Thursday, 4 p.m to 12 am on Friday, anytime on Saturday, 2 p.m to 8 p.m on Sunday for availability(Eastern Standard Date Time). Be Aware this will be the second session that I will be the DM. Before starting the Campaign I will ask for us the group to meet before officially starting the campaign to discuss character and character backgrounds so that I think how to fit your characters in the campaign.

I will be using obsidian portal to keep track of all things that is related to our campaign. Heres a Heads-up I will be recording our D&D sessions but I don't think I will be posting our recordings to youtube. I might put our D&D sessions into podcast though if people(the people in the group) want to remember what happened in the campaign.

If you want any further information please post here on the forum or please pm me.

Matthew_Pothoven
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Well met Zanta, i would be interested in your campaign and could either work Thursday or Friday perfectly into my schedule. I was thinking of an Eladrin Sword-mage concept but if the sword-mage is in question i wouldn't mind creating a Deva Invoker. Either of the voice software you mentioned are perfectly fine with me having already been using ventrilo, and skype. Obsidian Portal is a perfect match for keeping track of a campaign, Both the DM's i already play with (Saturday,Sunday) both use it and i absolutely love the site for what it's supposed to do. Anyways hope to hear from you to get this campaign started.

P.S. I can also get an additional player who is still working out the 4e system but can flow through the session pretty well...

neurokshinobi
04-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Hello indeed. Pleasure to meet you.

I'd love to hop into this, thursday would be best for me.

My mic doesn't work unforunately.

I would prefer to run my Monk-Ranger Hybrid (or Asassin-Ranger hybrid) Paladin-Warlock Hybrid would be fun as well.

Failing the hybrids... I most likely wont join, as I already have another 4e game, and a pathfinder.

Depending on the campaign, I still may be intersted, so send me the campaign specs Any any rules/homebrew content you have.

Rathalius
04-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, I'm in for Thursday night if that's good enough for everyone else. pretty much every other day Ive got things going on so I'm kinda limited to Thursday for now. I prefer skype over vent just because i find the push to talk button kind of annoying and the hands-free on vent doesn't seem to work well for me. I tend to play combat very tactically so I can play any character role fairly well. I also have a ddi subscription so I can put a character together pretty quickly (excluding background, which may take some time if it's required)

Let me know if/when this thing is going to kick off.

Ashaman1981
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I might be interested as well

SpiralZanta
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Well met Zanta, i would be interested in your campaign and could either work Thursday or Friday perfectly into my schedule. I was thinking of an Eladrin Sword-mage concept but if the sword-mage is in question i wouldn't mind creating a Deva Invoker. Either of the voice software you mentioned are perfectly fine with me having already been using ventrilo, and skype. Obsidian Portal is a perfect match for keeping track of a campaign, Both the DM's i already play with (Saturday,Sunday) both use it and i absolutely love the site for what it's supposed to do. Anyways hope to hear from you to get this campaign started.

P.S. I can also get an additional player who is still working out the 4e system but can flow through the session pretty well...

Hello, Matthew.
I'm sure Thursday and Friday will work out perfectly fine for me. I'm fine with the classes and such you mention but I hope we as a group(the rest of the players who will play the campaign) can discuss it before we officially start the campaign. We probably won't be starting the campaign until next week so people have time to prepare and have a short meeting. This meeting will simply be to introduce ourselves and discuss what each player wants to do, and what each player likes to do in D&D. Anyway I will be requiring each player to come with some sort of short background.

I'm thinking each player will start off with 100 Gold and the Standard Adventure's Kit. The 100 gold can be use at the beginning of the game for what the player can equip themselves with(they have to buy the weapons, armors, and such items with 100 gold as their limit.). The rest of the gold will be left over and can be used by the player. I wish to know the best way to contact you (Email,Skype,Msn, and etc. Please no phone number.)

Hello indeed. Pleasure to meet you.

I'd love to hop into this, thursday would be best for me.

My mic doesn't work unforunately.

I would prefer to run my Monk-Ranger Hybrid (or Asassin-Ranger hybrid) Paladin-Warlock Hybrid would be fun as well.

Failing the hybrids... I most likely wont join, as I already have another 4e game, and a pathfinder.

Depending on the campaign, I still may be intersted, so send me the campaign specs Any any rules/homebrew content you have.

Hello, Neurok Shinobi
I'm not sure if I will be allowing hybrids at the beginning of the game, however if you are insisted with the hybrids. Then maybe later in the game that will be allow but as of right now I have no plans to deal with hybrids. Okay I will send you some specs of the campaign with any rules/homebrew content I have; However I will not send you too much because I do not wish to spoil this campaign. That is not how I'm going to do it because that would ruin the fun.

Anyway send me a PM of what is the best way to contact you. (Email, Msn, Skype,etc. Please no phone number.)

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Hey guys, I'm in for Thursday night if that's good enough for everyone else. pretty much every other day Ive got things going on so I'm kinda limited to Thursday for now. I prefer skype over vent just because i find the push to talk button kind of annoying and the hands-free on vent doesn't seem to work well for me. I tend to play combat very tactically so I can play any character role fairly well. I also have a ddi subscription so I can put a character together pretty quickly (excluding background, which may take some time if it's required)

Let me know if/when this thing is going to kick off.

Hello Rathalius,

Alright, I will try to make sure Thursday is open to me but I make no promises. Hmm, maybe skype but I still might like Ventrilo just because it uses less bandwidth than skype. Well in my opinion I have found Ventrilo better but we will see. Its nice to see you can play every role but be aware D&D is meant to enjoy so just pick the role you want to be but we will discuss when we can have a short meeting. This short meeting will be introducing ourselves, discuss what each player wants to do and etc.

I'm not sure when we can have this short meeting but this will hopefully be before we can officially start the campaign. Please PM me the best way to contact you (Email, Msn,Skype, and etc. Please do not provide me with a phone number to contact you with.).

I might be interested as well

Hello, Ashaman
Alright Ashaman. Just let me though what times you will be available and the best way to contact you. Please Pm with the details of the best way to contact you. (Email,Msn, Skype, and etc. Please do not provide me with a phone number to contact you with.).

Rathalius
04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Okay, quick question...

You say the characters are to start with 100 and the standard Adventurer's kit. So does that mean that the 15 gold normally spend on the kit will be waived and we just automatically start with it?

SpiralZanta
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Okay, quick question...

You say the characters are to start with 100 and the standard Adventurer's kit. So does that mean that the 15 gold normally spend on the kit will be waived and we just automatically start with it?

Yes, that is what I have decided.

Ashaman1981
04-14-2011, 12:22 AM
So any new news on the game

neurokshinobi
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM
I have:

Monk Ranger hybrid (Highly mobile striker, dual weilding Tridents.)

Assassin Ranger hybrid (Stealth striker, not sure on weapons, is dual weilding though.

Assassin multi-classing as a wizard (Attacking from stealth without breaking it, ala magic missle.)

Paladin Warlock hybrid (Defensive striker Most likely using a greatsword.)

I have yet to decide, though I would really like to run the Monger.

KamenRiderW
04-14-2011, 01:49 AM
If you're still needing a player, Thursday is perfect for me.

Ashaman1981
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
This will be my first 4th ed experience but the rules seem pretty simple to remember but there are a few things I need to learn through play. other than that I would like to play a plain eladrin wizard, not a big fan of power game-ish or broken characters.

neurokshinobi
04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
That a shot at me? These characters do have obvious potential, but that isn't the reason why i'm using them.

Aesthetics.

If I wanted Broken, i'd use a pure storm sorcerer.

If they do seem to be outshining, i'll tone it down. So relax.

RCCola1785
04-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Hey Spiral. I replied to your PM, but I'm curious if it got to you. If it did, drop me a line? Thanks.

SpiralZanta
04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes it did.

Ashaman1981
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Ok it was a slight shot and I apologize, I was just getting flashbacks of my old group it was basically a broken character competition. Put that with the nazi regime of the dudes house we played at, he was lord DM even if he wasn't DMing and it was quite the experience. So again sorry I shouldn't jump the gun and assume somethings gonna be broken I just want a nice game where everyone has their moments to shine.

And I might also be interested in a bard I've never actually played one, anyone know if they're decent as far as 4th ed goes?

SpiralZanta
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
If you're still needing a player, Thursday is perfect for me.

Okay, I'll see if I can squeeze you in but I'm not sure right now.

Anyway for those of you I have contacted via E-mail, Pm, or those who already discussed their details to me. I have sent out an e-mail, Pm, or skype them a message, regarding the update to D&D. If you did not receive the message I will post it here.

""""The day available to everyone is Thursday. Of course the establish time on Thursday when to meet together online has not yet been decided. So, please respond with available times on Thursday that you will be available. Also if there is a day you are available sometime this week or next week before Thursday; so we can meet and introduce ourselves. We will be using the Skype Software and maptools for D&D.
Each player will start off with 100 gold coins and with a free Standard Adventurers Kit. The 100 gold will or can be used to buy equipment for your character. (if you don't buy any equipment, your character will not have any equipment on him during the beginning of the campaign.)

The only house rules I have are
1.) If your character betrays the group. The character becomes a NPC and you are no longer allowed to play as that character. If you still wish to play please re-do a new character. You can not rename the new said character the same name as the character that betrayed the group and you will have to change your class and skill(Please tell me if you thinking about creating the same class with the same skills. I might change my mind but for right now this is how I feel about the subject.)
2.) You may choose a hybrid class if you really desire to. Please refer to the Player's Handbook 4E Book #3 for hybrid classes.

Other than these two rules I don't really have any other rules at this time. I might change that as we go along to make special rules for certain characters >.<.

The setting will be discuss during the character discussion and be sent out via Pm or e-mail.

One final detail, when creating your character please have a background-story for your character(serious or funny, I don't care which as long as it makes sense.). Also when we have the character discussion meeting I would like to know how you play D&D, If you want me(the DM) to follow the book directly/strictly, tell me the type of player you are(like to fight, do puzzles, more in-depth with the history, and etc.), also if you want anything specifically in the D&D Campaign."""""

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

The background character story will shape the world in some way.
Tell me why your character is adventuring during the character discussion meeting.

neurokshinobi
04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
The classes work differnetly in 4e, a lot of the roles are almost identical, just with different flavour. The bard is essentially an arcane cleric or warlord that has music trappings.

That being said, Cleric has more feat support, but a Bard can still be very good, and is great if you like the music thing.

RCCola1785
04-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Say, doesn't the Bard class also get 1d6 groupies every three levels? *deadpan*

XD

The classes work differnetly in 4e, a lot of the roles are almost identical, just with different flavour. The bard is essentially an arcane cleric or warlord that has music trappings.

That being said, Cleric has more feat support, but a Bard can still be very good, and is great if you like the music thing.

neurokshinobi
04-16-2011, 02:58 AM
Being musical leaders, you'd think they would, right? Oh well, maybe in Dungeon Hero~ mystical age of rock.

Ashaman1981
04-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Ah I see thank you, so its kinda hard to go wrong in 4th ed since everything in a given role is kind of the same.

neurokshinobi
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Warlock's curse functions the same way the Ranger's Quarry does in terms of damage, each just represents a different sort of focus, and they have some changes in feat support as well.

The weapon(s)/Implement(s) and feats are generally what seperate the classes apart, aside from flavour and power source.

This is of course, straight out of the book, with an open mind (and gm) You can do all sorts of crazy shit.

SpiralZanta
04-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Okay the established time will be 5 EST for this Thursday April 21st, 2011. Hopefully one and half hour will be spent developing character discussion and such. Probably last until 8-9 p.m depending on how people feel and where a good stopping point will be. Remember to use map tools for Thursday and make sure you tell me your skype id by or before Thursday.
I will probably be available at least half-hour early on skype, setting up stuff but we can talk. There may be a spot open available to other people, so feel free to contact me here on the forum or pm me.

maptools version 1.3.b86 is what we will be using for the virutal table top. Please also remember I will be recording each of our session.

SpiralZanta
04-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Just a quick reminder that you will be rolling the dice for generating ability scores, however I might fudge the outcomes because there are at times when the dice hates you.