PDA

View Full Version : Ablivian

WAterTriAd
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Iím looking for 3-4 players for a heavy role-play low healing campaign. This usually means combat is light as it has more real world style consequences such as being out of commission for weeks to months of in game time.

Hero System Fifth Edition is used loosely in order to set up character stats and use the bell curve for rolling. 3D6 is used to determine outcomes which mean moderate values are most common and critical misses and hits are much rarer which makes it easier to balance encounters and ensure an entertaining play-session. Of note: most monsters are created on the fly as past players have a tendency to ignore crafted encounters. Knowledge of the rule-set is not required, and often discouraged as it will get in the way of playing the game. New players are welcome as I can handle all the hard math-like stuff for any player if they can read the correct number on their character sheet and add 3d6 together.

Sessions are largely player driven as there will be adventuring hooks laid out but none required in order to progress (short of the get the party together section, as that will largely just be a tale crafted by me). While not always obvious, this is a living world so the actions of the players will shape its future. This generally means it takes years of real world time in order to accomplish something truly spectacular but at least that option is available.

Character conflict is normal as players are expected to have a fully developed character with flaws and opinions that may contrast with other party members. Flaw points will be available immediately and are heavily encouraged. However, those flaws must also be present and accounted for in situations appropriate to them. E.G. if you pick dire fate for 25 points, expect to die gruesomely only a couple sessions into the campaign. Similarly if you take hunted for 25 points, expect to have the party attacked at the least opportune times. On the flip side itís pretty easy to get a series of 5 point negatives like Smokes.

Roleplaying will be heavily rewarded, though not always obviously. Characters deaths are almost always character driven. I.E. I tend not to kill off players in stupid situations because it just irritates the playerís, however I have had players die in my campaigns going into situations they knew would kill them but proceeding anyway because itís completely in character. This generally opens up access to abilities, races, and character concepts not previously allowed. This does not mean a character has to die in order to get access to these things.

Finally the game is about having fun. Iím a story teller and this gives me a forum to practice my tale crafting based on the parameters of the group Iím working with. The tales tend to take on the attitude of the group so if itís a little less mature (read: younger players) then it tends to be more anime like. If the players are very mature, it tends to be more high fantasy. Iíve been running this world for over 5 years with multiple groups and each group has considered it the highlight of their RPG experience, I hope I can do the same for you.

_WAter_

cklise
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I am definitely interested in this game, though I don't have much familiarity with this system. Thankfully, math is easy for me, so I shouldn't have any trouble picking up enough of the rules to play quickly.

What I am more curious about now, is the setting. I've mostly only played medieval fantasy in the past, so unless Dark Future is something of another word for 'post-apocalyptic,' I don't think I'm familiar with the genre.

My RPG experience is over 10 years of D&D, mostly through campaigns that have flopped within a matter of months.

WAterTriAd
03-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Dark Future has been changed to Fantasy for clarification as Dark Future is probably more Shadowrun than what I meant to use.

Ablivian has three major epochs discerned by when a particularly powerful being has decided to end the world. He usually leaves only a handful of survivors (figure somewhere in the 100,000-500,000 range). So dark future is technically correct but the technology level is Medieval Fantasy with some incredibly rare exceptions. I.E. you may come across relics of the ancient, ancient, ancient (since you'll be playing in the third epoch) past that are mostly worthless aside from their inherent archeological value.

As magic was the primary cause for the last non-apocalyptic world war where both sides annihilated the other, itís largely been out-lawed at this time with exceptions for incredibly powerful or benevolent people. I.E. the guys that heal anyone that needs it, or the people so powerful they can level the town so theyíre better not to provoke by trying to burn them at the stake. In this same way the magical races (dwarves and elves and the like) have been ostracized and left the humans to handle their own problems in the top-side/material domain (which is why they arenít available from the start).

I prefer people with no or loose familiarity with the system as that means there will be less rules lawyering which gets in the way of fun. Pretty much any reasonable request will be considered and I will apply the appropriate modifiers so all a player has to do is role 3d6. Largely (and honestly) the modifiers relate to how much I want this action to occur so the modifiers largely fall into three categories: I want it to occur so only a critical fumble will prevent it, I donít care so any reasonable role will succeed, or I donít want it to occur so youíll need a critical success. But, like I said, Iím a very reasonable person and I like dramatic events so unless youíre suggesting something completely asinine Iím not going to use the critical success category often, and Iíll tell you where you land before you role.

Note, the gradient is a bit finer than that as expectancy of success or failure also applies (E.G. if youíre trying to climb a slippery surface you have low expectancy of success so it wonít require a critical success but it will require higher than average, same for the plate wearing warrior trying to walk across a tight rope, while the rogue will be able to cross it with an easier than average roll). This is pretty much the same thing any good GM will do regardless of system anyway, though they are likely less forthcoming with that information.

Another Note: youíll have skill levels which will still apply,( so if you have the skill ďacrobatics: 13Ē it means you succeed on an unmodified check by rolling 13 or lower, untrained skills require 11 or lower if they are everyman skills, and 8 or lower if they require prior training). So unlike D&D 4th edition you can always attempt to do stuff, but youíre chances of success are just much worse if youíre not trained to do it.

Iíve run this world in 3rd edition D&D as well but I found that it was much heavier in combat than story, and the rules constantly got in the way of making good characters and having fun. We still had fun, but there were more arguments as well.

Hope that helps;
_WAter_

KentDA
03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Ok, you said magic was outlawed, but does that mean that you couldnt have an outlaw magician (even if his skill is low key)? Knowing full well that his studies could get himself into deep kimchee if he's found out?

Who decides what magic is acceptable and what isnt?

Sorry for the questions, but I am interested, but it sounds like its not so much outlawed as governed and restricted (save for those virtual tacnukes out in the wild).

I've got an idea, but it hinges on HOW the 'restrictions' on magic are enforced. After all, just because its illegal doesnt mean there are people who don't care about the laws. "Rogue" casters of all sorts will exist, regardless of the threat level of their magic (some just dont like being restricted).

Also, even the government accepted(or tolerated) mages or healers will have students, to pass on their skills to (of course restrictions will be placed on their learning, if they're not straight out criminals to begin with).

WAterTriAd
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
The first group I ran was perfectly fine being outlaws and pursued magic every chance they got. They stopped the moving city from moving (by taking it's magic powersource) and regularly made deals with magic entities. They were eventually the most notorious threat in the world which gave me the hook for the second group (that was tasked with hunting them down). Please note that was notorious, not biggest, they were still fairly small fries in the grand scheme of things but weren't nearly as subtle as the major players.

The second group I ran avoided magic but still managed to become outlaws in a few towns (largely from misunderstandings) from being a bit naive.

The third group was the D&D group, they had a cleric that the party chose to throw down a well (to his death) after he healed someone publicly. So when I say healers are sometimes accepted, I mean in certain regions. Last Hope - the continent hit hardest by the war - is completely intolerant of any form of magic. You'll be starting out in a different area though so it's possible you were a secret student of secret arts.

How your party members receive that is always up for debate though, the entire world is pretty intolerant of mages. Think of the remaining healers as more of a grandfather clause or dying art than an acceptable practice.

Hope that helps;
_WAter_

cklise
03-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. The setup certainly sounds appealing. Are there any restrictions on character concepts? I can understand if some things are well out of the realm of possibility. I'm also curious to relate my character concept around the specific setting we'd begin in, whether it be a town or wilderness, etc.

WAterTriAd
03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Characters for this campaign should be young, in training for their major life-long profession (adventuring is not likely something you thought would happen to you) figure between 15-18 years of age (don't worry they'll age quickly once you start travelling as it can take years to get around the world). You'll briefly be starting in the largest non-seaboard town. Acceptable professions are: guardsman, most types of craftsman, constable, clergy, teacher, politician, farmer, dilettante or anything else that sounds appropriate based on a medieval world.

It’s probably better to approach this with a rough character sketch for the first session so we can flesh out what skills will best suit you after the life altering event happens. Having a general idea of where you want your character to come from is far more important. No major combat will happen in that session so it’s unlikely you’ll need a full character sheet immediately. We’ll largely be dealing with the shock and trauma of your situation and figuring out where you go from there.

As a point of interest, your town and all the people in it will not exist after the first session, so it’s also necessary for your character to be curious enough to follow a rather abrupt and dangerous path to the major reveal. Feel free to be the son of a major noble or the magistrate though as it would provide for some interesting conversations when you suddenly have to provide for yourself.

For those familiar with the Hero System, characters will start at 100 or so points with 25 additional points available from disadvantages. Note, in this world gear costs character points so if you want armor it will affect your characters point total and is one of the only ways to level in between major goals.

Hope that helps;
_WAter_

cklise
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Thank you. I shall begin drafting up some rough ideas for a character; nothing in cement. This sounds like it will be a very fun game. Do you anticipate starting this weekend, or are you aiming for two weeks out or more?

WAterTriAd
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Game will start based on player avialability. I have a friend that's interested currently, and I want 3-4 total before I start. If you and KentDA are still interested I can contact my current player and see what his availability is (and make sure he's still interested).

I'm always willing to start fleshing out character concepts and do some pre-game roleplay so people can get an idea how the world works prior to showing up. Saves a bit of time in the "this is what you know about this world" department as it does change for each player depending on their profession.

_WAter_

cklise
03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a game which I currently play in on Saturdays right now, but it's an online game that I play from home, and everyone living here is a part of the game. I don't think it will be difficult to exit from this game to join yours. Any idea what sort of hours you'd want to manage for your game?

WAterTriAd
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I'd prefer to start between noon and 2:00pm and go until people are satisfied with the session, which is usually 3-4 hours. I tend to be talkative so there can be 30-60 minutes of general chat before the session actually starts. I'm pretty open about the schedule though, so while Saturday is consistently the best time for me, most days (not friday) are also available. If pressed for a direct answer I would say Saturday's from 1-6.

_WAter_

cklise
03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Could you sign me up for your game? I would be very interested in joining. I haven't taken the time to sit down just yet and pull together a character concept, but I've busy with a few other things. Once I have a schedule for your game, though, I'll get myself organized and prepared.

WAterTriAd
03-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Sure, you'll make 2 of the 3-4 I'm looking to run it for. The other interested party is available whenever so as soon as I get a third (and possibly a fourth) we should be good to start.

_WAter_

KentDA
03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Sorry, think I'm gonna bail on further interest. Sounds like it may end up a bit too dark and gritty for my tastes.

WAterTriAd
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Gritty isn't usually a way people describe my game, but I can understand people not wanting to play in a psuedo-low magic living world.

Enjoy;
_WAter_

Conexion
03-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Hey there, I'm highly interested in joining. I'm not very familiar with the hero system, but what I've read looks interesting. I have D&D experience and tend to prefer more of the higher role play end, and slightly less combat with real consequences (so a lot like what you've laid out). Saturdays work great, and if needed, I might be able to get a friend to join. If you have any questions about me or anything like that, let me know!

WAterTriAd
03-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Conexion;
Your current experience shouldn't be a problem. Likewise, feel free to bring a friend as I'm looking for 3-4 players total so you two would fill the group nicely. Feel free to contact me at watertriad@hotmail.com to start working on character concepts (that goes for CKlise as well). Please don't worry about what other group members are doing as this games runs smoother if everyone is invested in their character rather than being pigeon holed into a role the party feels like it needs.

Thanks;
_WAter_

WAterTriAd
03-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I found my previous player's character sheets. I ran the last group with 100 base points and 50 additional obtainable 1 to 1 from disadvantage points. I liked this as it gave players some flexibilty, please avoid any disadvantages 20 points or more though without getting my consent. I have (somewhere) the Hero System Character Editor so I'll write up all the characters. It's by far the most complicated character creator I am aware so if you haven't played in this system please contact me at watertriad@hotmail.com so I can help you through it. Normal Characteristic Maxima is in effect for stating characters in this campaign, points above normal values must be discussed with me for approval.

If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry about it, I'll help you craft the character you want to play and understand what the values mean.

Thanks;
_WAter_

WAterTriAd
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm upping the number of players for this campaign to 5 as one player will likely be inconsistent. That shouldn't be a problem for this campaign.

I need two more players however so here's the story so far:

You're in the country of Maine, Berlin, the world largest inland city and capital of Maine has disappeared. There are reports of an all powerful mage being responsible but the information is sketchy at best. A few survivors has straggled in from various towns but none seem willing or able to talk about what really happened. There are much bigger problems though as a power vaccuum now exists and government establishments begin to degrade. It's been three weeks from the incident and payroll reserves are depleting quickly, in just a couple weeks the entire country will devolve into anarchy before a new power base is established.

Our heroes are currently planning on leaving the chaos, and travelling to into the Jade Empire, a country founded on the concepts of imperialism. Their zealous push forward into contested territories leave much for a young adventurer to profit from.

feel free to email me at Watertriad@hotmail.com if you are interested.

Thanks;
_WAter_