PDA

View Full Version : My Archer lost his eyes

RastaKnight
03-18-2011, 08:27 PM
on my last DnD adventure my character lost both of his eyes from some crazy tentacle monster that plucked them out. im very new to playing the game and my character is best with his bow i know i can take blind fight but reading up on it the description doesnt go into how to use it with a bow. i guess im wondering if the idea of a blind barbarian archer with horrible strength(lol i know)(12) can still shoot things with good accuracy

Anaesthesia
03-18-2011, 10:41 PM
What edition is this, 3.5?

RastaKnight
03-19-2011, 01:27 AM
ya we play 3.5

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

i was thinking i could take the blind flaw and get the 2 bonus feats so i could get blind fight but i dont know how blind fight works with bows

Anaesthesia
03-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Blind Fight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#blindFight)-I believe reading the feat answers your question.

Looks like that the Blind Flaw is a homebrew flaw-is your DM cool with homebrew stuff?

In the Arms & Equipment guide, there is a Blindfold of True Darkness (this is on page 130)-grants you the blindsight sight ability up to 60 ft, although it's a bit expensive-9,000gp, but it might be better than using up a couple of feat slots.

RastaKnight
03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
i think ill use blind fight or convince my comrads to quest for a high priest or sumthin that can regen my eyes :) or just die n make a new char for the campaign lol jk

Skunkape
03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
The only issue I see with using the Blind Fight feat is that using a bow is not melee combat, it's ranged combat, which using the RAW version of Blind Fight doesn't work for you.

Now, you might be able to do it with something like Blind Sense or Blind Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#blindsightAndBlindsense), but both of those abilities have limited range.

Farcaster
03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Aye, I'd agree that you could still make something very cool and Daredevil-ish out of this character if your DM works with you. Having an archer who is actually blind, but has adapted his senses to the point that even the slightest sound or movement of air can tip him off on your location is an interesting concept. I'd encourage you and your DM to think outside of the rules and come up with something like Skunkape suggested.

Skunkape
03-25-2011, 12:42 PM
You could even allow the player to have quite a distance for Blind Sense/Sight as the description mentions the range of the ability being mentioned in the monster description. While possibly allowing the player an advantage that normal sight doesn't give, there would be draw backs to it as well.

For instance, the character now uses sound to determine where things are a combination of passive and active sensing, while the active would not allow the character to see what's behind the tree, same as usual sight, the active might allow the character to perceive the NPC hiding there due to breathing or some other movement causing a sound to give him away.

But the negative to not being able to see would mean, no reading, possible confusion between monetary types, if a gold piece and a silver piece are both the same size...

Also, the character wouldn't gain the visual clues that would let him know at a glance that the livery of the soldier(s) approaching were from an enemy or a friendly kingdom!

I think the concept could be very cool though!

Dolanar
03-25-2011, 04:32 PM
If you're asking for some solid rules ideas as well, I suggest asking your DM to add a few abilities perhaps, start with a 30ft Blindsight (could be improved at higher levels as your character gets used to using this new form of perception) an improvement to Listen checks of maybe +5 or so, a -10 to spot, -5 to search (as you'll have to search with your hands & sense of smell). The Blindsight can be modified as a Feat perhaps, (if your DM chooses to go that direction), or just a natural change, I think that with you working with your DM directly you can find a way to work out how to use the bow, with minimal penalties. I also suggest talking to your Party about coming up with some "strategic" clues for combat situations to give your character an idea of how to differentiate enemy from ally.

KentDA
03-25-2011, 06:28 PM
My two cents on the matter is that it partially depends on the power level of the campaign. It sounds like a low or mid level power, so a regeneration spell IS an issue. You might even mention the idea to the GM of doing a "quest" for a temple to "pay off" the cost of a regeneration spell.

The GM may also have had a reason to pluck your eyeballs out. (Perfect opportunity for a specific quest)

It also depends on the 'style' of game the GM is aiming for. You may want to ask the other players if the GM tends to maim characters. If he does, then he's brutal about combat (which to me is not a good thing, maiming should not be something you do without a solid reason).

This becomes an issue for the whole group, and not just you. Yes, there are TIMES when the GM should feel no qualms about maiming a character, but maiming should be an uncommon event (while not accurate to real combat, you're supposed to be heroes).

I know, not really helping on solutions, just offering food for thought. You did mention the regeneration spell, so posed an option for that.

nijineko
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
a ninth level psion can manifest restore extremity, or a thirteenth level cleric or a seventeenth level druid casting regeneration can cure that.

there are a number of effects which can give awareness, touchsight comes to mind.

thematically, a blind archer using zen archery or something similar would be very cool. guess it's up to the dm to see what they will allow you to come up with. maybe some sort of life sensing effect with a greatly increased range?

Soft Serve
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Check the DMG for the artifact(s) Hand and Eye of Vecna.

That'll add some character depth...and it only costs an arm and leg. Or hand and eye as it were...

nijineko
04-10-2011, 11:49 PM
+1 for style. ^^

RastaKnight
05-06-2011, 06:29 AM
oh just to update were im at in this campaign the DM decided to lead us on a quest to seek vampiric counsel and they granted me a new set of eyes in payment of taking the blood of me and my companions (we mysteriously have no memory of this happening but my eyes r back so we continue forward)

nijineko
05-09-2011, 12:26 AM
no memory of the agreement, or no memory of the blood-taking?

rabkala
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I tried to resist posting, this just peeves me.

I think it is very poor form to maim and cripple characters without letting them know that is a possibility ahead of time! There are no official rules for this in D&D, and therefore should not be sprung upon players mid-game. If he is going to have such house rules, he needs to let them be known in detail at the start of the campaign. Why play D&D (the sweetest and mightiest rule-set in the world) if you are going to ignore the rules and just make them up as you go along? :mad:!!

Why doesn't this DM just play by himself, he obviously doesn't need the players to continue onward with his story? I suppose you will get an STD from a werewolf next week, but not remember the fun bits either. :rolleyes:

nijineko
05-09-2011, 11:14 PM
heh. i wondered how long you could resist. ^^

Soft Serve
05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I suppose you will get an STD from a werewolf next week, but not remember the fun bits either. :rolleyes:

HOW DID YOU KNOW!!!!!!

Someone took levels in psion...

Sascha
05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Or house-ruled a certain 1E AD&D table to include "lusty lycanthrope" ...

nijineko
05-11-2011, 01:01 AM
they don't all bite during... ah... random encounters. ^^

Sherwood
05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
If the character was to continue in his blindness, a nifty 'ability' to get together would be some form of the bat-like ability 'sonic detection'.

rabkala
05-12-2011, 09:22 PM
they don't all bite during... ah... random encounters. ^^

Or house-ruled a certain 1E AD&D table to include "lusty lycanthrope" ...
Good play! +1 for Alchemically silvered style!

:laugh:

nijineko
05-13-2011, 12:46 AM
=D

about the archer: come to think of it there is a psionic power that allows you to replace senses. combine that with some remote sensing (also psionic) and you can easily make spot checks. for more fun, and more psionics, you can use other creatures senses instead of your own. all you need is relational-positional awareness, and to be able to see through anothers' eyes. ^^