PDA

View Full Version : (PbP) Call of Cthulhu: A Haunting in Massachusetts

RakshaGC
03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
What game system are you running and if applicable what edition?
Call of Cthulhu, 6th edition.
What is the setting for the game?
1920's Massachusetts.
How many Players are you looking for?
3-5.
What is the characters' starting status?
As per character creation, but they have to be living in or around Boston, MA at the start of the game.
Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game?
I will be making all rolls for the various perceptions unless an Investigator (PC) is actively making the effort. Otherwise the players will handle their own rolls (unless there is an overwhelming call for me to handle the mechanics)
Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular?
Background is really just an easy way of figuring out how to RP your character. I may draw a bit or two out to use as a plot hook. A couple paragraphs is plenty.
Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
It's mostly puzzle-solving and roleplaying, though the combat is fast and, when it occurs, quite high-stakes. More worrisome is the possibility of insanity.

This is intended as a one-shot adventure, but if everyone digs it, I can roll it into a campaign. If you choose (and (s)he survives) you can keep using the same investigator.

Confirmed
1. Q-Man
2. mindravel
3.Giasrhen
(maybe)6.

RakshaGC
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I now have enough interested to get the game started. I will leave recruitment open, obviously, as I have no one actually confirmed, but to those who have already expressed interest: if no one else has PMed an interest before I get your characters, we will start.

RakshaGC
03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Not that classes/roles are of supreme importance, but for those interested in a well-rounded group:

Donikage has expressed that (s)he will be playing someone with an aggressive skillset, like a prohibition gangster or a vet. (combat skills)
Stridar will be more of a "Face" type (fast talk, persuade, psychology, etc.)

Q-man
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I would love to join in this. However, I haven't played this game before. I do own the rulebook, I just haven't had a chance to put it to use yet. I'll be reading up as needed, but most likely I'll need help understanding some of the rules though.

If you're ok with that, then I'll start working on a character.

RakshaGC
03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
That's perfect. This is most of the group's first CoC. If you have any questions, let me know.

Q-man
03-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Awesome, glad I wouldn't be bogging things down then.

RakshaGC
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I should point out the last to express interest is the first to produce a sheet. Q-man is a stealthy, furtive type.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Q-man: You will be receiving a group invitation in a few hours, which will provide you access to the game forum. You may now add your character to the appropriate collection.

RakshaGC
07-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Bump-sauce.

Game is again open for recruits. 2-4 brave (or not) souls out to make the world a better place.

Giasrhen
07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
If you apply I ask that one of you makes a cripple so that someone can run slower than me. "I don't have to run faster than the Horrorers. I Just have to Run faster Than YOU!"

Hope to see some new faces in the game.

ShaneC
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Hope I'm not too late to the party. I just recently found out about CoC, and would love to give it a shot. Unfortunatly, I've never played before and I only have a PDF copy of the 5.6 rules...but I do have the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft. If you'll let me squeeze in with that, I'd be glad to give it a whirl.

RakshaGC
08-04-2011, 01:12 AM
The rules aren't tremendously different. You have a couple of options. You can play an NPC on scene (dropped players) or roll your own character up. The former option gets you in the action immediately (and lets me release control of one of them) and saves us both a little time. The latter lets you customize a PC to fit you more specifically if you'd prefer, though with the CoC mortality rate, I wouldn't sweat it too much, but that's just me. I prefer the first option, primarily because at the current stage of the scenario it would simply be easier to get you into the action if your character at all existed in the story already, but I will not force you to.

We are currently close to the final scenes of the first adventure. It's never too late to join though. I will send you an invitation to the group so you can catch up and we can discuss character options.

The two NPCs on scene are:
Akad Arnos, a scholar that specializes in the occult. Bounced all over Europe studying the bizarre, and is currently in New England trying to verify the existence of and subsequently dispel a monster at the dying request of an old colleague.

John "Jack" Casey, former Marine and bouncer. A vet buddy of his is paying him to follow up on the deathbed request of his uncle, who refuses to let his own family get involved. Doesn't currently put any stock in this occult business, but bought a new shotgun, just in case.

So yeah, both ends of the spectrum.

ShaneC
08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
I've no problems with taking over one of the existing NPCs.