PDA

View Full Version : Playtesters Wanted

jim pinto
03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
I am a game designer working on board and roleplaying games (alternative, indie-style). Looking for players to game on a regular or not so regular basis. Feel free to contact me if you can't make it to Long Beach, but are able and willing to still playtest.

Thanks

addison
03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi Jim-

Longbeach is a bot further than I was hoping for, but I am interested in your project and how I can help. Let me know.

Eric Addison
ericaddison2001@yahoo.com

yukonhorror
03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Also interested (especially in the board games), but not exactly in CA? Anyway it could be done online via maptools or vassal?

Freelancer
03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Sounds interesting. Online is so much easier, though, especially if we're playtesting the game mechanics...?

yukonhorror
03-15-2011, 08:06 AM
For an RPG, playtesting online wouldn't be a big deal. Unless there is some weird physical mechanic involved (like a deck of cards or doing jumping jacks).

For board games, it would be tricky, but not impossible. You'd just have to continually mess with the module. I am no master of Vassal, but I was successful in setting up a game of Dominion in it (crude but worked). As it is a playtest, crude but works is what you need. I'd totally be willing to work with you on doing the board game stuff online. When we get the vassal module to a good place, could do some distribution at bgg.com.

As an independent designer (if legit and not just a hobby for you), I think Farcaster gives special privileges to game designers.

jim pinto
03-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Wow. That was more response than I was expecting and none of it from people near me. I am NOT an online gamer. I don't use Vassal and I don't know what farcaster is.

But I agree, that some RPGs can be done online. Except I'm talking about playtesting some narrative games that require a lot of talking. Do these games have sound? Or just a visual typing roleplaying?

Should I post my personal e-mail? Or is there a place we could congregate to chat, like AIM or YAHOO or SKYPE even?

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

PPG sent me a private e-mail telling me that there's a thread on here about playtesters in my area. Well, duh. I made this post, PPG.

yukonhorror
03-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Farcaster (Robert Howard I want to say?) is the MAIN admin for the site. The big cheese, the man in charge.

Talkey games are a bit harder for online, but can be done. If it is pure text, it is harder, but a lot of games run Skype in parallel with a dice-rolling/map program. I am not a fan of it (I don't hear well), so will bow out of consideration for the RPG. Also, talkey games can be fun, but again, not my cup of tea.

Would you use vassal (it is for board games). If not, that's cool. Good luck in finding someone. Be sure to keep the ppg.com community informed of your wares.

jim pinto
03-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Is there a day or time that is best for everyone? Is everyone comfortable with skype? Or maybe just use the chat feature on here? Make a separate room to chat in?