PDA

View Full Version : Dice Roll Request: Exploding Dice

jpatterson
03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Specifically for Farcaster for the chatroom (and forums) dice rolls:

I know you had mentioned you couldn't or weren't sure how, but I just wanted again, to put in a request, for "exploding" or expanding dice rolls, since some games like the very popular Savage Worlds, and many others, uses them - the success dice pool too would be something else to look into, having a success if each die in a pool comes up X or higher. BUT, to the exploding dice, I'm sure you know, most things, including virtual tabletops, use something like:

roll 1d6.exp(6)

The above rolls again and adds to the previous roll as long as the roll is a 6.

Soft Serve
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
It does sound like a good idea but I think the chat prompts are coded by vBulletin and the chat itself just an application to be applied to vBulletin pages. What I mean is, I think vBulletin would have to add that feature. Not P&PG, Farcaster, or any other mod here.

Q-man
04-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Given that the pages are written in PHP Farcaster technically could edit the dice rolling stuff so that it does the exploding dice. Its probably not ideal since the next upgrade would likely overwrite the changes he made. So its possible, but probably more of a pain than its worth.

yukonhorror
04-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I KNOW maptools has this. Maybe he could borrow that code

Soft Serve
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Given that the pages are written in PHP Farcaster technically could edit the dice rolling stuff so that it does the exploding dice. Its probably not ideal since the next upgrade would likely overwrite the changes he made. So its possible, but probably more of a pain than its worth.

There are other moderators though. One of them could be assigned that maintenance job. Provided the exploding dice suits enough people as a necessity.

I KNOW maptools has this. Maybe he could borrow that code

I don't know a lot about computer coding or any of that silliness, but that sounds legit. Maybe a few tweaks to have it polished but that might save some time. If the idea takes off that is.

jpatterson
05-25-2011, 03:29 AM
No replies at all on this. =( Oh well. But I still think this is a good idea.