PDA

View Full Version : Geek Parents, Represent!

Tigerbunny
04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey, all! I'm a middle-aged (39) long-time gamer (1979, blue box) living in Minneapolis with my partner of 14 years and our nearly-8 son. We're all big ol' geeks. Problem is, K and I don't get nearly enough gaming. So we're trying to put together a new gaming group, hopefully composed of people more or less like us - older, with kids, mortgages, and careers - who feel that just because we don't have as much time to play anymore, doesn't mean we can't still have a good time when we do.

I'm a bit of a system monkey and theory-head, but still like old-fashioned genre gaming - D&D 3.5 being my drug of choice - as well as weird Indie games. K's more conventional - she doesn't like learning lots of systems, so she sticks to the ones she's comfy with. Lots more details in my profile.

Right now, I'm trying to put together a D&D group. This looks like a nice place to work on it.

iguanoid
04-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi Tiger,

My wife and I (and our baby girl) are relocating to Mpls at the end of May. I am looking for a group to join. I've never played 3.5 though.

And I'd love to play some weird indie games. So far the only one I've tried is Kill Puppies For Satan, which was a blast by the way.

gdmcbride
04-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the forums,

As a gaming parent, I appreciate your strife. I have a little girl, Ruth Erin McBride, who is fifteen months old and already getting into everything. Do you know how hard it is too own thousands of miniatures, dozens of dwarven forge master maze sets, countless gaming books, magazines, novels and comics and to keep them away from ever prying little hands?

My solution is of course baby-sitters. I game on Friday nights and Sunday days. When I am playing a character, I have no problem toting the baby along (especially since the only game I'm currently a player in also includes my wife). But running is just too much. Fortunately, there are grandparents and friends in close proximity. They are almost always willing to take the baby.

Fifteen months is yet a little young to instill true geek values, but I will say that last month while watching Night of the Living Dead, she started growling back at the zombies.

Gary

Tigerbunny
04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah... it was actually a lot easier when the kids in our circle were younger. I remember playing D&D with nursing babies at the table plenty of times with very little trouble. Meridian (my son) is a lot more resistant to the whole babysitter thing these days. On the other hand, he and his friends are a lot more able to entertain themselves while the grownups play games. It's the scheduling that's really the killer.

What I'm actually thinking about doing for the group I'm starting to put together is to pool our resources and coordinate entertainment/supervision for the kids - whether that's renting a new game for the Playstation or some DVDs, sending them off with an older sibling or non-gaming parent to do something fun, or whatever.

Argon
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm nowhere near you but understand luckily my wife doesn't game and my kids are 12 + the only baby right now is a 3 month Golden Retriver. So scheduling is a little easier for me. Good luck on getting your group situated though.

jackmadigan67
05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
You folks are in the same boat that I'm in....except i'm about 6 hours flying time (or more) north of you!

But just because i'm in Edmonton I figured i'd say hello and hope you guys get to sit down and get your group going!! I'm jealous now that you guys married girls that game......my wife does not and I have often thought how much easier life would be if she did...oh well.

Good luck and say hi every now and then!

Jack

Farcaster
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
You folks are in the same boat that I'm in....except i'm about 6 hours flying time (or more) north of you!

How's the weather up there? It's starting to get a bit warmer here in Seattle....

dragonmamma
05-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey guys, I feel your pain...I have a much more complex sitting issues as I am fairly new to my area and family lives at least 3 hours away...I would like to say that my new gaming group are the best and allow my 3 1/2 year old to tag along with me when I can't find a sitter. I actually looked for almost 6 months before I joined this group to find a child tolerant group. I wish you all the best of luck with your families and games.