PDA

View Full Version : Woodland warriors

Simon W
02-27-2011, 03:44 AM
My next project nearing completion is called Woodland Warriors. Its basically inspired by Redwall, Mistmantle, Mouseguard & Deptford Mice for Swords & Wizardry, although it uses D6 throughout (rather then D20). Character advancement is up to level 6 and player races (called Kind) are: Mice, Moles, Badgers, Squirrels and Hedgehogs. Clases are: Warrior, Friar, Scout and Wizard. There will be a mini-campaign setting (Stonewell Abbey & Environs) as well as a full adventure and adventure seeds.

Simon W
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Check out the new draft (1.02) - it is updated with recent additions/changes

Simon W
03-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Finally, we got to play tonight. It was really good fun. The Hedgehog with 4 INT decided to be a Wizard (he can't cast spells at all!) and the Squirrel with 6 DEX was the Scout. In addition we had a Mouse Friar (with 18 DEX) and a Mole Warrior. Somehow it was a charismatic party with an 18, 17 and 15 CHA amongst them.

We played the simple scenario from the book with Olive being found in the cellar - they just ventured through the hole behind the wine racks and fought a huge spider and several zombie-vermin and 2 ghoul-rats. It went pretty well and the rules seem to work nicely. I'm pleased because it took some fiddling to get it looking right and it's nice to see it work pretty well.

hogscape
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Love the new game Simon.

More details on the playtest would be really nice?

Simon W
03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Giving "actual play" write ups is not something I'm great at, but when I have a mo, I'll give it a shot.

Simon W
04-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Here is the dreaded Ghoul Rat
http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/ghoul-rat-copy.jpg

Simon W
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Playtesting has gone superbly - I've had two groups playing two separate mini-campaigns/adventures in the Stonewell Abbey/Alder Vale setting. Following these playtests, I've tinkered a bit more with the classes (Wizards and Warriors mainly, plus an NPC "Rogue" class) XP requirements, added a full adventures penned by David Bezio and lots of other bits and pieces. It should be ready for release in PDF this coming weekend and in POD via LULU sometime shortly afterwards.
If it goes down well, I have a few ideas for additional material (a city called Alderhaven, at the mouth of the Alder River, just south of the Fellmarsh and then will come "WOODLAND WARRIORS OUT WEST" - gun-totin' mouse sherrifs, raccoon gamblers, brave prairie dogs and pesky varmints all shootin', drinkin' and brawlin' their way across the dusty trails of the "Wild West".

Simon W
04-16-2011, 01:10 AM
All the art is in now, so the wait is nearly over...

Simon W
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
The wait is over!

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=1460

Simon W
04-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Now in print:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1016378

Brian B.
04-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Now in print:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1016378

That's great news Simon! I ran the game for my family last night, and everyone had a blast. They are ready to play more. :)

Keep up the great work!

Brian

P.S. - I posted a small review over at RPGNow. Here's a copy of what I posted:

Woodland Warriors is a new game from Simon Washbourne, The game allows players to take on the roles of anthropomorphic animals in a medieval like setting . If you enjoy stories such as Redwall, Mistmantle Chronicles, Mouseguard, etc. you'll feel right at home with this game.

The game's system is a modified version of the Swords & Wizardry rules, which itself is a variation of the Original Dungeons and Dragons system. The biggest changes to the system is the use of d6's for every roil whether attack, damage, or saving throw, and that character progression is limited to 6th level. These and other tweaks to the system greatly simplify the game.

The game has four character classes available to play; Friar, Scout, Warrior, and Wizard. Players can also multi-class. There are five races for use as PCs; Badger, Hedgehogs, Moles, Mice, and Squirrels. The Monster section has a few other races such as the Hare, and the Otter that may be suitable to play with a few tweaks. There is also a Rogue NPC class which could be used as a fifth character class with your Referee's permission.

The books includes a nice little campaign setting called Stonewell Abbey, along with several adventure seeds. The game includes a full adventure as well.

The full color art, and presentation really helps convey the genre quite nicely. Just a casual read through of the book conjures up a feeling of adventure.

To try the game out I ran the included adventure for my wife, two teenage daughters, and a family friend. None of them had ever played a role playing game before. I was able to walk them through character creation, and how to play in less than 20 minutes. All the players were able to quickly grasp the simplified rules, and jump right into the game. The setting, and the system complemented each other perfectly. The included adventure was a nice introduction to the setting, and everyone had a great time playing, and are now looking forward to exploring Stonewell Abbey further.

Woodland Warriors is a great value. If you are a fan this genre, or would like to try something off the beaten path, you can't go wrong with this book. Highly recommended!

Simon W
04-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Cool - at least it's knocked the first review off! I'm really glad you enjoyed the game. I'm working on more stuff for it:

"WOODLAND WARRIORS OUT WEST" - basically mouse marshalls, raccoon gamblers and prairie dog braves in an anthropomorphic wild west
"ENEMY AT THE GATE" Another medieval-ish setting, this time based on an island taken over by Vermin, characters are outlaws trying to overthrow their oppressors
and one or two others - either Sci Fi or possibly Samurai WOODLAND WARRIORS

Brian B.
04-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Cool - at least it's knocked the first review off! I'm really glad you enjoyed the game. I'm working on more stuff for it:

"WOODLAND WARRIORS OUT WEST" - basically mouse marshalls, raccoon gamblers and prairie dog braves in an anthropomorphic wild west
"ENEMY AT THE GATE" Another medieval-ish setting, this time based on an island taken over by Vermin, characters are outlaws trying to overthrow their oppressors

Sounds wonderful! "Woodland Warriors Out West" is already starting to bring images of "An American Tale: Fievel Goes West" to mind. My wife loves that show. ;)

I'm looking forward to the Samurai game. I've always been a fan of the Usagi Yojimbo comics. Can't wait to see your take on the subject.

Brian

Simon W
04-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Hares written up as a PC Kind:

Hares
Hares are hasty, impulsive, thoughtless and a tad arrogant. They love fun and cannot resist partying, feasts and other lively events. They often say things they don’t mean and allow their tongues to run away with them, to the extent of contradicting themselves several times in the same sentence. Nevertheless, they generally mean well and are likeable, even if you have to take what they say with a pinch of salt. Hares cannot become Friars or Wizards, but the other classes (including the Rogue) are open to them.

Hares have the gift of the gab, so they receive +1 to persuade rolls and they can jump (on the ground) far better than most other creatures receiving +1 to any jump roll as a Scout or Rogue, or receiving the Jump ability as a non-Scout or Rogue. Hare warriors can use their Jump ability (in place of Warrior Stunt if higher), to leap over an opponent’s head whilst stabbing down with a spear to receive a +1 attack bonus. For this reason, Hare Warriors tend to favour spears as their weapon of choice.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

...and Otters

Otters
Otters are the most comfortable of the Kind on water (although Water Voles might have something to say about this). They are never found far from rivers, lakes or the sea and are the best river-boaters, sailors and ferry-beasts around. Many also turn their paws to building watercraft.

Player-character Otters can naturally handle any watercraft and can swim in any natural (i.e. non-magical) water conditions. Otters can also tell, just by looking and listening to the water surface, what hazards are around up to a furlong away (i.e. if there is a waterfall, rapids, reef or similar). There is no established die roll or rule for using these abilities; exactly what the Otter can or cannot do or perceive is up to the Referee.

Player-character otters can be of any class; but many are Scouts, for obvious reasons.

discuit
04-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Simon,

Another great product!

I am basically posting here to say that not only is WW great, but i don't think you realise that the system you have created is pretty much what a LOT of old school dnd'ers would love. The things is most of them will simply pass over it due to the anthropomorphic cover and blurb. :(

I know you are a busy man, but if you ever get the time i'd release a "classic" version of the system/game (maybe expanding it to lvl 10 or something?), as i think you'd get a lot of sales, especially at the pricing you tend to use.

Just a thought from a big fan of your work.

Simon W
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
As I was writing the rules, I was pretty pleased - thinking they could be used for more than just Woodland Warriors. I'm working on two mini-settings - one is in a Robin-Hood style and the other is "WOODLAND WARRIORS OUT WEST".

After that I might take your advice and do a generic set, but I've got more ideas for WOODLAND WARRIORS too, such as "WOODLAND WARRIORS IN SPACE" and "SAMURAI WOODLAND WARRIORS".

discuit
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Well, tbh, i pretty much buy almost everything you produce, so as long as you just keep producing i'll be happy.

Basically i have read (and played a tonne too) every retro clone released to date, and yours, although not a retro clone by any means, seems, to me, to have accomplished everything a lot of them seem to be trying to do, but in a seamless and original way.

Seems a pity for that to only be used by niche market of folks who like anthropomorphic rpg's. Especially when you have done the hard work already. ;)

Ps - Grub's adventure is pretty cool too, was a pleasant surprise i must say.

discuit
05-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi again Simon,

I was thinking, maybe you could just release a classic D&D supplement for WW? I'm pretty sure that is all it needs. You know something with the Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings statted up, and a small bestiary to get ppl going. The rest of WW can be used as is in my opinion.

Just some food for thought. ;)

Simon W
05-23-2011, 01:11 AM
As the Greyrock Isle campaign setting is nearing completion (after several weeks of playtesting too) I thought I'd share a tidbit of the new class that will be in the book:

Talespinner (by Mike Richards)
Talespinners are wandering story-tellers, musicians and entertainers. Younger ones tend to travel a lot, searching for new pieces of lore and practicing their singing and poetry; older ones tend to retire to an Abbey or Castle, or even found their own School. Some Talespinners multiclass as Friars or Wizards.

Storytelling: Talespinners are born storytellers and have great stores of factual and invented information. They get a +1 bonus on all Lore and Persuade rolls.

Roguish Skills: Talespinners learn some of the skills of a rogue and can use disguise and sleight. They can use sleight to juggle as well as the usual uses of the skill.

Performance: At 1st level, a Talespinner can spin a web of words to attract an audience. Creatures must be able to hear and understand the Talespinner to be affected. Affected creatures take a -1 penalty to Notice checks (as they are so engrossed in what the Talespinner is saying). This is useful as a distraction for various purposes). Suspicious creatures are entitled to a Will save. Any obvious threat breaks the effect and the target then gains a +2 bonus on Will saves against the Talespinner's stories for the rest of the day.

There is more - this is presented as a taster...

Simon W
05-28-2011, 12:00 PM
We had a go at "OUT WEST" the other night. I started then at 350 XP, which means some were 2nd level and othere were 3rd level. The characters were:

Firepaw: A Prairie Dog Shootist/Warlock. Level 2.
Stilton: A Mouse Scout. Level 3.
Periwinkle: A Beaver Warlock. Level 2.
XXXX (forgot his name): A Raccoon Talespinner. Level 3.

All except Firepaw are in the Stray Saloon in Goldville playing cards. The Talespinner is awaiting a famous gunslinger to show up, so he can write stories about his adventures to send "back East". He doesn't have to wait long - a small gopher runs in to tell him he just saw the famous "Firepaw" ride into town. Firepaw ties his grass lizard to the rail outside the saloon and walks in. The pianist stops playing. The card players gawp at the newcomer. The Raccoon uses the opportunity to palm a few cards.

After a few introductions, Firepaw sits with the card players. The Talespinner wants to find out more about the gunslinger's exploits so buys him a shot of "red eye" and they start jawin'.

A while later, a shout goes up outside: "the bank is being robbed" - followed by gunshots.

The characters run outside. They see four rats and a weasel keeping the mouse sherrif pinned down while they break for their mounts. Periwinle recognises them as members of the infamous Dog Lightnin's gang. Firepaw isn't bothered and walks down the main street, duster flapping behind him. He eyes the varmints and draws his pistol. Three shots bring down one rat and wing another. Stilton fires from the saloon boardwalk, bringing down another varmint and the raccoon runs out into the street firing at another, bringing him down too. The last rat and weasel fight on like...well, cornered rats. They try to get to their mounts whilst firing again at the sherrif and at Firepaw - missing both. Periwinkle acts last (he's a bit portly) but gets off a spell to sleep the grass lizards, leaving no escape for the varmints except to fight it out.

Firepaw by now has walked right up to the last rat and calmly puts a single bullet between his eyes. Stilton sights the last weasel and finishes the job. Five varmints lay stretched out across the Goldville main street.

The sherrif comes over and thanks the PCs - saying all bar one of the sleeping grass lizards now belong to them. He'll sell one to pay the funeral bill. The sherrif looks closely at Firepaw and then returns to his office to look for a poster he thinks is in his drawer somewhere...

Overall, it went really well and I was pleased with the way the rules worked. We didn't get a lot of actual "game" in because we were bust discussing the setting/class options and generating characters to 2nd/3rd level - whilst I was explaining why certain changes to the core rules were necessary (like armour, which is less relevent "OUT WEST", changes to classes and the new Kind that are available as PCs).

tesral
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Why are the carnivores always the bad guys?

Simon W
06-01-2011, 04:20 PM

The same reason the orcs and the nazis are the bad guys.

tesral
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't see that thank you. Carnivores have a place in the nature of thing. They are not "evil".

Simon W
06-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Very true

tesral
06-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Why not the Raven undertaker and such?

Simon W
06-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Well, I can't answer for others (redwall, mouseguard) why they selected rats, owls, crows & weasels as the bad guys, but this is my game and in my game that's just the way it is.

However, if you decide to make raven undertakers and rat healers that's entirely up to you. It would be easy enough to do...

Simon W
06-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Greyrock Isle is now out!

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=92191 (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=92191)

Greyrock Isle is a sandbox-style campaign setting and sourcebook to further your WOODLAND WARRIORS enjoyment. It includes two new classes (Talespinners and Wayfarers) and two new Kind (Hares and Otters) to give more options to players of the game. Greyrock used to be an idyllic haven until Vorstang came with his Vermin pirates. Now the islanders are overtaxed, harrassed and bullied daily. They need some heroes to lead the revolt..perhaps you have the necessary stuff to be those heroes?

discuit
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I just bought Greyrock Isle, and and as always, great work!

The Talespinner & Wayfarer are a great addition to the ruleset! Oh and the map is beautiful!

Cheers.

discuit
06-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I do have 1 little request of BB Games Mr Washburn.

Could you pretty pretty please (with cherries on top!) start adding bookmarks to your pdf's?

I know a lot of them are quite small, but it still makes navigating them during games much, much easier.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Last question of the day. I don't think WW ever explains how to use Challenge Level.

If it does, i must have missed it. Luckily I just wing these things, but newer GM's might want a little help.

Narmer
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM

All of a sudden Rocky Racoon started running through my head.

And why is it, considering how much I enjoy your games, that I always seem to miss it when you release a new one? (Note to self: Pay closer attention!)

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Of course I can't speak for anyone else but it's the killing. Carnivores, for the most part, kill and consume others. They may not be inherently evil but I would get very nervous around a carnivore at meal-time. Specially if I was small and fuzzy.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Just went over to RPGNow and purchased the bundle. Can't wait to read it.

Simon W
06-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Here is the raccoon maverick, Sedge Cactuspaw from WOODLAND WARRIORS OUT WEST

http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/racoon-maverick-copy.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

and this is the coyote gunslinger, Dog Lightnin'

http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/coyote-gunslinger-copy.jpg

NeilFord
06-16-2011, 07:29 AM
These are just brilliant! Can't wait to unleash this on some willing players.

- Neil.

discuit
06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I do have 1 little request of BB Games Mr Washburn.

Could you pretty pretty please (with cherries on top!) start adding bookmarks to your pdf's?

I know a lot of them are quite small, but it still makes navigating them during games much, much easier.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Last question of the day. I don't think WW ever explains how to use Challenge Level.

If it does, i must have missed it. Luckily I just wing these things, but newer GM's might want a little help.

Any chance of question 1 happening at all? and as for 2, am i missing something in the text that explains how to use the challenge levels/xp to create encounters or they absent?

Cheers pal.

Simon W
06-25-2011, 04:39 AM
1) I don't know why I didn't put bookmarks in WW - I do in Bol, DoW and the other games. When I next revise, I'll put them in then, although I csan't promise when that will be (probably when I get my own e-reader and it starts becoming an issue for me!).

2) p.83, final paragraph is really the guideline to use for challenge levels. So a challenge level 1 beast is loosely a challenge for a single PC. That's about it really.

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

I've just uploaded a WW character sheet here (in the free stuff):

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Maps now uploaded - check out the WOODLAND WARRIORS page

Simon W
06-26-2011, 04:02 AM
New class now available for free download - The Trickster

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/ (http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/)

Simon W
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
WOODLAND WARRIORS AT SEA is coming along. In this setting/sourcebook, the player characters are Sea Dogs - all Vermin; pirates, corsairs and marauders. The new classes are Buccaneer, Freebooter, Sawbones, Seawise and Shantyist. Players can be Foxes, Weasels, Stoats, Rats Shrews and Snakes!

NeilFord
06-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Wheeee! I can see this being popular with certain of the groups I play with.

Any idea when it might be out?

- Neil.

Simon W
06-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Wheeee! I can see this being popular with certain of the groups I play with.

Any idea when it might be out?

- Neil.

I'm aiming for the end of July - but it could be into August

NeilFord
06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Oooh, just in time for PubCon3 in Southampton. Time to watch the PotC movies for plot ideas!

- Neil.

Simon W
07-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Check out the website for a free preview of the Sawbones, a Vermin class from "AT SEA"

Simon W
07-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Woodland Warriors has been reviewed here:

http://knightsoftheblackbanner.blogspot.com/2011/06/woodland-warriors.html

Part 2:

http://knightsoftheblackbanner.blogspot.com/2011/06/woodland-warriors-review-part-ii.html