PDA

View Full Version : Online Shadowrun anyone?

Lynth
02-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm looking to participate in (possibly run) a 4e Shadowrun campaign online.

I generally use gametable for online games, but am open to suggestions.

Essentially this is me looking for players and a GM. If no GM steps up I'm willing, but I'm pretty inexperienced.

deaconabyss
02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
I have no experience in the system though I do have most PDF...not sure if they are 4e or 5e. I used to play back in the first edition. Gametable is fine I use it and Maptools but if you use voice gametable is nice and light on the load. Unfortunately I only have mon-wed free maybe saturdays soon as well. Times on those days are very flexible. I live in the EST zone GMT-5.

MisterBook
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Sounds interesting!

Emeketos
02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I would be willing to give it a try

Lynth
02-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Anybody willing to run?

PeterDracos
02-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I'd be willing to run, but I've also got a very restricted schedule - I'm in Korea so the only time slots I have that are valid in America are Friday and Saturday from about 4-5 PM ET on. I've run Shadowrun campaigns before; I've never personally used gametable (I prefer maptool) but I can learn.

Lynth
02-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I would really love that personally.

PeterDracos
03-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Alright then. I'm pretty flexible as a GM; what are people interested in? Regular shadowrunning? Emergence? Ghost Cartels? War?

Also, how many players would be interested?

parcelbombsmurf
03-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm a little interested, but I don't know 4e.

PeterDracos
03-06-2011, 03:03 PM
That's cool, the last time I ran it two of my players had never played Shadowrun at all. I'd give a summary of the changes from older editions but I...ah...don't really know the older editions.

Do you have access to the books?

Lynth
03-06-2011, 11:26 PM
I have access to the books, but haven't finished slogging through the actual history section. So....kinda know what I'm doing. Maybe. I've created one character, but purposely misbalanced. I'll create a normal one soon enough and run it past you.

parcelbombsmurf
03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I know the world and have access to the books. But I don't know 4e. I'm interested in trying it out though.

primalzen
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
sounds great to me i would be interestind in trying it out

daiopowen
03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm totally interested in any Shadowrun game anybody wants to run. I'm based in Australia, so I'd likely have little difficulty adjusting to times you're available to run from Korea.

I already have a character drawn up even, which I can easily adjust based on the number of points you want us to build with.

PeterDracos
03-08-2011, 02:00 AM
So, anyone have any preference as to campaign? I warn you now, I'm happy doing with core stuff like runs against megas, but left to my own devices I'll run nontraditional campaigns in a heartbeat. I played in one where the Bug City events got WORSE with FAB3 and so the quarantine zone is both a) still full of bug spirits and b) much larger, about 20% of Illinois. That one was interesting, a bit restrictive but I'm a huge STALKER fan so I enjoyed it. As a player, I've built prospective free spirits and cyborgs, and as a GM I ran a campaign where the PCs were gang leaders trying to expand their turf. (I probably won't do something like that again anytime soon.)

daiopowen
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm all for nontraditional, especially if that's what you like to run (since you'll be a better GM if you're actually invested in what you've written for it), but for games like that, we'll likely have to know a little of what we're getting into and tailor our characters in advance.

My usual character is a combination rigger/gunslinger Adept who is a moderately famous gunsmith in underground circles. He lives and works out of an old converted bus and as such is readily mobile to wherever.

I can also easily build a new character from the ground up if he doesn't suit the campaign or the party.

primalzen
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
i'm open for anything . i normal do mage/ phical adepts. just need a little background and the "how to" on playing an online shadowrun game

parcelbombsmurf
03-09-2011, 12:33 AM
I am open to any type of campaign. I would probably go for a classic Seattle campaign if I had to pick. When would games be? Day of week? Time?

PeterDracos
03-09-2011, 04:56 AM
I was partway through saying Seattle 2072 when I opened up War to just browse through it a bit. Unless anyone has any strong objections, I'd like to go with a tweaked version of Lagos (mostly described in Runner Havens). Lagos doesn't have enough of a government to have a Matrix backbone, but increase the numbers of really cheap comms and the mesh network that's there will be a lot more stable than vanilla SR. There are probably enough conflicts in Africa as it is, but if someone (maybe MCT) had an enclave in Nigeria and a group of warlords formed a loose alliance to get rid of it, there'd be plenty of excuse for the new toys there. I'll have to think about that or someone deciding they're strong enough to take on Asamondo (centered around Ghana, and thus VERY close to Lagos...)

Stay away from Infected characters, though ghouls might be okay if you know what you're doing. AIs are interesting but kinda overly restricted in a setting where Matrix access can disappear at a moment's notice. Beyond that knock yourself out - plenty of cybers in Lagos, plenty of mages and adepts, 1 in 20 people is a nonstandard metatype, and there /should/ be enough matrix access that hackers are fine and technos are okay. (Vanilla Lagos fluff includes a district full of hacker gangs, one of which is actually technomancers. Most of the problem with being a technomancer is the 10k bounty on live ones...but that can be a problem for anyone with an internal commlink, too.)

The how-to of online Shadowrun is pretty easy once we come up with a time. Everyone needs a copy of either gametable or maptool (whichever we go with), and voice chat client assuming we use one. From there it's pretty much the same as face-to-face, though you'll need to use the diceroller in the table app and you won't be able to see anyone's faces.

Voice - pros: with it, the game goes almost as fast as a face-to-face game. Also allows for more range on the part of the GM (i.e. different voices). Cons: one more thing to break. Also some people are shy; it's also hard to get the voices to the same volume level. Last but not least is it makes logging much more difficult - though the game will be early enough in my morning that I shouldn't have much trouble writing a session synopsis after the session proper.

From what I can see, Gametable doesn't really offer support for the Shadowrun dice. Maptool does and also has a campaign framework that'll make tracking NPCs way easier for me. Still not hard and fast on that, though, since I haven't actually downloaded it myself and the people I talked to about it used it so long ago that they barely remember it. (You know, two years or so.)

As for date and time. Like I said in my post earlier, I'm in Korea and work days. Accordingly, if the game is primarily American/Canadian, it needs to be Friday or Saturday night; Saturday's a little better for me because I'm less likely to be called into work on a Sunday (Saturday has happened before, and Saturday morning for me is Friday night stateside). Three PM EST is about when I get up; if we want to try and start after most people have eaten dinner, 7 PM EST is a good start time. OTOH plenty of people that wouldn't help so we could move it earlier, too, and Sat-I mean, 'Friday night' isn't that much worse for me. [daiopowen - you're throwing off my game, dude! I'm not used to this whole 'ahead of me timezone' stuff!]

I WILL be working this weekend, so no rush to pick a time...everything after that looks clear, though there'll be another one next month as well.

Hmm. Can't think of anything else I want to add on to the mountain of text. I'll end it there, then. Please reply with your preferences regarding voice client or lack thereof, map client (especially if I'm wrong about gametable and SR dice), and time. Character concept, too.

Lagos is detailed in Feral Cities, so if you don't have that say so and I'll throw up a primer.

Emeketos
03-09-2011, 06:47 AM
I could put together either a Tecnomancer or real mage just let me know the tools I need and I will make sure I have them. Setting doesn't matter too much assuming I roll a techno though I guess the matter of how much matrix would matter a bit to me heh although I can play it as a rigger pretty easily either as drone support or security rigger for b/e runs. mages are a bit more straight forward of course.

I have played mages and physical adapts and street sams in the past with a little bit of a hacker type in 2nd ed.

PeterDracos
03-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Q: What's the difference between a rigger and a dronomancer?
A: Well, riggers upgrade mostly with nuyen, dronomancers upgrade mostly with karma. Aaaaaand.....that's pretty much it. =p

From a setting perspective, Lagos ranges in wireless from "just like a modern sprawl" (Lagos Island, Victoria Island) to intermittent dead hours. Like I said, I'm tweaking it so that the mesh network is much more stable. Basically, the matrix will be there (though quite possibly with a weak signal) until I decide it's a dramatic time to go dead. As a technomancer, that means that you're fine...until I chop the legs out from under you. =p Mind, if you're a dronomancer you can still act as normal (bearing in mind the penalty for being a technomancer in a dead zone), and if you're a hacker then most likely you've gone to a place where that doesn't happen or you're close enough to the target that it doesn't matter (don't need matrix if you can connect directly to the target's commlink).

From a GM perspective I've had trouble in the past with Matrix stuff. It's just not something I'm all that familiar with, so it'll take some practice to get used to. If you're a dronomancer, rigger, or for that matter mage, that's not so much a big deal - I can handle cyber attacks on your drones (assuming you have left openings) just fine, and mostly that'd be the same combat everyone else is in anyway. I'm not so strong on the opposite, so bone up on those rules if that's what you want to do.

Lynth
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Despite starting the thread, I'm thinking I'm probably the person with the least amount of experience here.

There's a decent chance I'll need help with my character, though I have the basic mechanics of building down. Also, Saturday nights are generally good for me, Fridays too, but less so.

PeterDracos
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
If you have the Runner's Companion, I've found that making a character with the priority system, then costing it out and adjusting it to 400 BP helps a lot. The Runner's Toolkit on the other hand is more geared to GMs but includes PACKS, which is a set of mostly modular BP packages that similarly simplify character generation - pick the packages you want (making sure you cover all the bases) and add their totals, and tweak from there.

If you don't have either of those and you're working out of the main book, here are some tips:

Don't get overspecialized. For attributes, a SINGLE rank 1 might be interesting from a roleplaying perspective; beyond that the character is really too weak to be worth playing. For character type, mages are extremely powerful - until they enter an aspected dimense, at which point their effective magic stat drops rapidly. Some kind of weapon is important and, usually, some kind of non-lethal weapon more so. Doesn't have to be good, but sometimes you really don't want to risk drain. For cybergear there's a statistical benefit to mixing cyberware and bioware - whichever one you have less of, the essence cost is HALVED. So if you're making a street samurai or other cyber concept, keep that in mind - you can spend 3 essence on cyber, spend 3 on bio, and have a full point of essence left. (Well, a point and a half, but you always round up the essence loss.)

If you're starting out, I recommend a role as either a face or a street sammie. Face is mostly roleplaying, so inexperience with the system isn't gonna hurt much. Street sammie is pretty much direct combat, so pick a category of weapon you like and everything's good. The advantage SS has over physical adept is that character progression is mostly through nuyen rather than karma (Adepts have to worry about boosting their magic stat and so on, street sammies have to worry about buying better cyber), which is easier to plan for. (Karma comes in small packages at the end of a session; nuyen comes when you get paid.)

You'll probably want a cover identity - a cheap fake SIN (really probably the corporate equivalent, Logos being a feral city), a cheap commlink (Unwired includes disposable commlinks designed for this purpose), and some cash. Don't skimp on Contacts, either.

parcelbombsmurf
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
OK. Here is my situation:
1) Sign me up.
2) I prefer Ventrilo for voice since I have it downloaded already.
3) I don't have a preference regarding the other software since I've never used either.
4) I have an incredible amount of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition knowledge since I GM it here where I live. I jumped off the train when 4th edition came around because I liked 3rd edition and, just skimming the new system, I didn't like it. However, I'm so desperate to play my favorite game that I don't care what the rule system. Also, it will probably grow on me once I get into it. So ultimately, I know the world and themes very well but will need to learn the system. I have access to all the books.
5) I like the idea of running in Lagos. I have perused the write-up for possible use in my own game. I'm going to look it over again.
6) Once I'm familiar with Lagos, I will make a character that fits the locale. I generally don't play the weird character. I like to play the stereotype. Having said that, I'm leaning toward a Face with some combat and maybe some decking. Probably a native.
7) My best day and time is probably Friday at 4PM EST. But I probably can manage Saturday too.
8) We should start establishing an e-mail thread outside PenAndPaper IMO. My e-mail is parcelbombsmurf@hotmail.com.

I look forward to meeting and playing SR with all of you.

Major Doom
03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm familiar with Shadowrun 4E. I GM and play the 4E system, but via the traditional in-person means. I am also interested in playing via Gametable/Maptools, since I never done that before. I don't have the time to GM online, but playing it I can spare only Friday evenings (1800 UTC -5), or anytime on Saturdays.

I'm okay with any setting, but prefer it to start small, so it wouldn't bog down the game and time. I suggest starting off as either gangers protecting turf, or maybe DocWagon employees.

primalzen
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
i am only avaliable during the week so weekends are out for me

daiopowen
03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll read through Lagos. I really liked the character I had, but if he doesn't fit the setting, I'll make a new one.

I can be available either weekend day (australian time), so Friday night/ Saturday night US time is fine. I'll get up early if I have to. :-)

Emeketos
03-11-2011, 07:18 AM
my only restriction on Saturdays is every other Saturday night (US EST) I run a descent campaign which would prevent me from participating. I am available almost any other time. I haven't read lagos yet but I can take a look. I like the idea of playing with a Technomancer with maybe some rigger tendencies. technos have some interesting possibilities such as hacking PANs, survailance/scouting and of course erasing our footprints after we leave a scene. I am currently re-reading all the game rules to get ready to play. if your really against matrix activity for party drone/security support I can probably come up with a mage character pretty easily.

I will play any setting although I am not familiar with logos. I do like doing extraction runs, stealth B&E with of course a good story. Anything that plays well with the shadows setting of a team.

PeterDracos
03-12-2011, 06:57 AM
I went back and read through Feral Cities and found that I really don't have to tweak anything to get some war in. (Mesh network stands but it's just a matter of probability shifting - unless I decide it's down at a given time, it's up.) While the kingdoms around Lagos are behind technologically, Ares Arms has this crazy efficient way of testing their new equipment. They sell it on the cheap to someone with a war on, then send engineers to watch it in action. That covers the gear from War! to the extent that I want it ('Oooh, I can put that in!'), and the combat tips range from not important to always useful.

parcelbombsmurf: Awesome. So far no one else has said anything about tool preference, so it looks like it'll be Vent and Maptool. The only problem is I can only listen to DOTA by Basshunter when I'm sitting in a Ventrilo chat. =/

Major Doom: Those are pretty much my only times, too, so that's cool. =p As far as starting small, I tend to think in a mission structure; I was thinking of a few small errands for locals before I threw anything crazy at the players.

primalzen: Urg. Unfortunately I'm at work from (quick mental conversion to Eastern Time) 4 PM to 1 AM Sunday through Friday (five days but it straddles midnight so looks like six), and I usually go to bed about 6 AM. So from what I can see unless you're available Friday nights your schedule and mine are unfortunately incompatible.

daiopowen: Off-hand the only thing I can see being at all a problem is the bus: according to the fluff, traffic in Lagos ranges from atrocious to cataclysmic. Well, that and 'underground' and 'Lagos' are either polar opposites or synonymous depending on how you look at it. There's no real law in feral cities, but a good gunsmith is always appreciated.

Emketos: I'm TOTALLY cool with Matrix action. I'm just not used to it. My last group had a combat rigger, but all he ever did with it was run his own drones and occasionally spoof one I sent in against them. It'll take some practice for me to get used to the rules but it shouldn't be too bad. Especially since it looks like we might have more than one Matrix type; that was one issue I had last time, that Matrix combat only involved one of my players.

The big difference between Lagos and, say, Seattle is that Lagos has no government and thus no police. (Fluffwise, also important is the 'no utilities.') On the bright side for shadowrunners is the fact that corps use it to do all kinds of things that they couldn't get away with anywhere else; in fact people are so poor that research subjects will sign themselves up for a few hundred bucks (or equivalent). Lagos is also the gunrunning, smuggling, and black market capitol of Africa, as these can all be done in the open in the marketplace. So there are lots of corp facilities, no cops to avoid on your way to or from them, and plenty of crowds to blend into. On the other hand shadowrunners are people too and thus can find themselves the victims of rampant crime; background counts in Lagos tend to be high because of the effects of VITAS and other things; and the Matrix is pretty shaky most places (it's a utility, after all, and there's no government to provide those).

I'd have preferred to play every week, but I also don't want to cut anyone out if I don't have to.

Emeketos
03-13-2011, 01:13 PM
wait corps have trouble getting away with stuff in Seattle when did this happen? lol I think this actually makes things worse for the corps in lagos meaning now they have to worry about taking out the trash and water otherwise I can't see if there is any difference. I guess the only real difference is I dont really need to hide my guns much when out in public.

I am trying to put together a reasonable technomancer w/ some rigger abilities its a bit more difficult than I realized having to spread skills very thin to start. Question about auto-softs most tecno's programs aren't really programs per say how does that apply to auto-softs they really aren't complex forms but most riggers purchase their auto-softs starting anyways would the purchasable auto-softs work for tecnos. I am thinking for simplicity sake they would. I can work more on the character concept as I go I may end up being a little weak to start if I use this template but I like a challenge heh.

what are the current character types players are interested in if we have another hacker type I could easily play a mage as well I am not tied down as a techno.

kilometer
03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
im in if there is a slot available

daiopowen
03-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Well, if I dump the bus (which cost an obscene amount of this character's starting money as a home/mobile base/workshop/rigging platform) I can shift a lot of BP and Nuyen around.

How should we go about getting character sheets to you? My last game used CoyoteCode to store them online (my sheet for anybody who wants to look, is at http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6589)

Lynth
03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm going to go with the second suggestion I was given, since someone already said they were going to be face.

daiopowen
03-13-2011, 08:57 PM
There's never any quota on Street Samurai; any runner team can use more ass-kickers. ;-)

PeterDracos
03-14-2011, 06:20 AM
I've put up a page to gather all the character concepts. It's at http://pdr-besm.wikispaces.com/PPRPG - don't worry about character name or character sheet unless you want to. If you do, put a hyperlink in the character sheet box or just link to a new document and post it as a text sheet.

Emketos: You could definitely buy autosofts, since they're run by a Pilot program. On the other hand, if you're willing to let your sprites run the drones, Machine Sprites can have autosofts as Complex Forms - though you can only have one unregistered sprite at a time. (You don't need to have a complex form for one of your sprites to do it, otherwise they couldn't teach you new ones =p)

kilometer: Haven't filled up yet, so sure.

daiopowen: Looks nice. I especially like the detail on the contact and the weapons. I would suggest some change in the languages, though. English and French are common in Lagos, but the most common languages are Lagosian City Speak, followed by Yoruba, Igbo, and Awori. (Lagos is located within Yoruba, more or less; the Area Boys who are the closest thing to guards Lagos has are mostly Igbo. There is no such thing as a Lagosian City Speak linguasoft.)

Lynth: daiopowen is right.

tim.mineshine
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Howdy, I don't know if between DSL & my (old, refurbished) IBM T-42 laptop (512Meg) can handle an online game...if you don't mind I'll try!

Also, are you interested in a face to face game on Sat. starts about 2pm over in the Hermitage area? My phone is 781-2701.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Howdy, forgot to add I can play a rigger, or a driver/smuggler, or 3 different types of St Sammie's (Close in only, beyond 75m you're kinda safe; mixed range; almost no close-in (other shoving a pistol up your nose and pulling triger), various firearms and heavy weap's, & asks which pocket you want the mini-grenade in...). I often make my PC's after most of the group has formed and fill in the weak spot....

Let me know....

kilometer
03-14-2011, 08:32 PM
well i can play a gunnbunny/street sam. it's been a while since i play a hack and blast sort of character

PeterDracos
03-15-2011, 06:13 AM
tim.mineshine: wrong country for me, sorry =p

I went through and added the most recent suggestion everyone made to the wiki. (It should be open to guest edits, so if you have any trouble with that, PM me please.) Six is about my limit, but I could stretch if one more wanted in (counting everyone who's posted except Primalzen due to scheduling conflict =/). Looking at what's on the table I'd say the glaring weakness is the Astral. It's not absolutely critical - Shadowrunners are mercenaries, after all, and mercenaries can always hire subcontractors - but a mage or a mystic adept would probably help.

Something I noticed going over Khyber, daiopowen: you might look into replacing the Muscle Replacement/Reflex Enhancement with Muscle Augmentation and Muscle Toner. Same effect, same cost, significantly less Essence hit. Up to you, though.

daiopowen
03-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Muscle Replacement x2 - 10,000 Nuyen, 2 essence, +2 Str, +2 Agi

Muscle Augmentation x2 - 12,600 Nuyen, 0.4 essence, +2 Str
Muscle Toner x 2 - 14,400 Nuyen, 0.4 essence, +2 Agi

27,000 Nuyen vs 10,000 Nuyen.

That said, I've moved some things around a bit. Traded my Conestoga Vista in for a GMC Everglades, since the waterways are one of the best ways to get around, and I've changed the languages, and modified my Chrome slightly. The new sheet is linked in the wiki page.

PeterDracos
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
My bad, for some reason I was thinking that they covered the Reflex Enhancer as well, and that would be a LOT of essence saved. Silly me - the only thing that comes close to doing what the Reflex Enhancer does is the Suprathyroid Gland (availability 20F) and that wouldn't be worth it even if a starting character could get it. (Well, it wouldn't give you as much Reflexes. It might still be worth it, but it's not really an option, so...)

[Edit]
Huh - "Sorry, the requested character can not be shown. Either you don't have permission to edit it, the sheet isn't publicly viewable, or the character does not exist."

daiopowen
03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Sorry, forgot to make it public. It's a little counter-intuitive that people can't view it by default.

I've changed my approach slightly, too. I changed my Black Market Pipelines to Biocompatibility: Cyberware and Born Rich; then I just gave myself more money to start with. 20% extra money beats a 10% discount, and I'm left with a lot more essence than before, even with the same cyberware.

Emeketos
03-16-2011, 07:32 AM
I have put together a mage which I am perfectly happy to play a combat shaman (wise Warrior) I will upload a char profile up soon. Its still somewhat a work in progress but should be ok.

daiopowen
03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Excellent! We were going to have some issues without magical support!

Shin
03-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I was going to post to see if you all wanted another player, maybe a mage since no one had expressed interest in one, but it seems Emeketos has already gone there 8).

Out of curiousity, were you thinking to play with any house rules? I gather you are using the basic build point rules?

Emeketos
03-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I was figuring on going with a former army medic/shaman covering 2 potential party weaknesses astral/magic support and a healer. The character has decent healing both magical and first aid with a background in medicine. Character is weak though without a good power focus and reaction improvement. Almost worth it to burn some essence/magic for synaptic boosting.

PeterDracos
03-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Synaptic boosters are nice, but oh so pricey. Looking at the flaws on your character, it looks like it'll be fun for me. >:D

I've used house rules in the past, but I can't remember which ones. Assume nothing big - maybe reordering the initiative passes, maybe not.

Sent from my LG-SU370 using Tapatalk

daiopowen
03-17-2011, 01:28 AM
We don't have a dedicated hacker, either. A couple of us are riggers (well, my character's a rigger and somebody else mentioned maybe playing one), but I know at least that my character's not much good in the Matrix except for Spoofing, really.

Emeketos
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
If someone wanted to take the mage slot as I was saying before I do have a technomancer character on standby. I was having difficult making him capable of being a tecno-rigger just spread too thin skill wise. Its not the case being a hacker though. Picking up Rigging later is just a money issue mostly for the tecnomancing type. Sprites make perfectly good riggers in their own right just telling one to "jump into" a drone to command it is a simple command. one of the secondary issues creating the technomancer is starting complex forms are very limited at best I can have 10 of them which opens up weaknesses for some areas. Threading makes up for this a bit. I will upload both char's

--- mage char --

heh peterdracos I thought you might enjoy the character.
I was going with the concept of a special forces medic type suffering from post traumatic stress disorder causing a bit of amnesia and maybe the source of his enemy as well. His past is completely cut off from him family friends are complete unknowns. I think changing his totem to bear might be more appropriate. I am not aware of any totem that offers both combat & health bonuses. Part of the skill set as a mage was to use control emotions could be used to assist the face in negotiation and getting information out of potential targets by calming, causing unease/fear, removing unwanted emotions or causing them. That plus mind probe and analyze truth form a devastating combo for getting information out of potential targets. by causing a little unease (emotion control) asking questions even if the target doesn't want to tell a specific information should be enough to bring the information to surface thoughts to allow for mind probe to have more success.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Technomancer Char alt
http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10509

daiopowen
03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Any idea on when would be a good date to set as a deadline to have characters ready for the first session (or a tentative first session date that sounds good to you, PeterDracos?)

PeterDracos
03-18-2011, 02:58 AM
If everyone can have at least a draft PC done by next Saturday, we could probably start the weekend after that. That way l can start working on personal subplots-I got some good hooks for you and Emeketos - and everyone can look for gaps in the party.

Actually, if everyone can have drafts up THIS weekend we can bump that schedule up a week. If that's too soon don't worry about it. Just tell us.

Oh, and Emeketos - where it says Race I think it means Meta-type. At least, I couldn't find any other place for that but in the Qualities. Would Lukion and Emeketos the PC both be Human?

Emeketos
03-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Both are elves I must have missed the line I need all the points I can manage heh so any racial discount needs to be included :)

Shin
03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm still lurking, btw. Just waiting to see if you really have six players already, and what everyone decides to play.

PeterDracos
03-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Well, if you want to play a mage, then Emeketos can cover Matrix support. Like I said earlier, six is not a hard-and-fast limit.

Lynth
03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Where's the blank version of sheets that people are putting up? If that's a thing that exists. Assuming it is, it'd be a big help.

PeterDracos
03-19-2011, 07:31 PM
The system they're hosted on (CoyoteCode.net) hosts a bunch of character sheets. Just register, think of a name, and go to the profiler: put in the character's name and pick Shadowrun 4 for the template.

Shin
03-19-2011, 08:03 PM
heheh, I don't know how smoothly an online game with seven players will really go. I guess I'll register on Coyote and see about mixing together a character. You said standard 400 BP generation rules? Any special modifications for Lagos? Different availabilities or cost indices? Any mods to the qualities, like Black Market pipeline, etc.? Also, I asked this before, but I was curious if you were going to be using any house rules. I know over on dumpshock, both the magic and matrix rules are hotly contested with a variety or house rules before I designed a character based on non-existant physics 8). I know Lagos is a wild and wooley place, but our characters are still being built with standard point distribution limits on qualities, stats, etc., right? Also, I've noticed you mention War a few times. I haven't read it myself, but I've heard of things like Response 7-10 commlinks and rating 9-12 programs. What bits of War were you hoping to include?

PeterDracos
03-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Very little, actually. Most of the stuff in there is on a scale that's not particularly relevant for Shadowrunners; game stats are provided but they're mainly meant for the large-scale combat rules. I'm not worried about the damage a cruise missile hits if it does - if it hits you you die, and accordingly it would be a dick GM to actually fire a tank main gun at a PC. I decided I'm not introducing any wars (though I may get to that if the campaign runs long enough), and 'mil-spec' equipment and software is meant for the elite troops and spec ops of MAJOR nations and AA+ corps; around Lagos, the only such nation that's close is Asamondo (and no one attacks Asamando), and none of the corps are close to war-status. What I'm planning on using is mostly small arms (War! introduces high-caliber assault rifles, for example), the suppressive fire and grenade rules.

As far as modifications to the availability - handily, as I was looking through War, I found the 'canon' answer. In a Feral City, Availability doesn't change but price doubles. For character generation, I'd say ignore the price doubling, but I'd also say you can buy Forbidden gear. Just keep in mind there ARE places in Lagos where F-rated gear actually IS forbidden (Lagos Island, mostly, but there are other corporate enclaves throughout the city).

I have to admit however that the stuff in MilSpecTech is very, very shiny and, ironically, more likely to be used near Lagos than, say, milspec commlinks. Ares Arms tests bleeding-edge gear by selling it to local warlords and watching it in action; this means that very high-end vehicles and drones are present in quantities that make them both perfect for shadowruns and unlikely to be game-breaking.

[Last-minute addition]
Actually I've played in an online campaign with nine players (FFRPG through IRC). The main problem with it was it was very, very slow in combat, but it was also text-only which means you can spend two or three minutes waiting for a person to realize it's their turn. We're using Vent, which should speed up the process considerably.

kilometer
03-20-2011, 06:34 PM
it pains me to inform you but i cant join in on this one guys/gals/things. since i lost all my shadowrun stuff. and the computer im using isnt mine. sorry :(

Emeketos
03-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Not that I would advice you to do anything illegal but This is shadowrun search the matrix you might find your books again...

daiopowen
03-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Lynth, what Peter said about CoyoteCode. There's also a very handy excel spreadsheet available at http://sr4.qblix.com that I put up for my friends last time I was in a Shadowrun campaign. It can help keep track of the 5 bajillion things that go into a SR4 sheet.

Emeketos
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
http://daegann.free.fr/programmes/programmes.php the chargen program there is very good and editable

daiopowen
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
The program is cool, but the excel sheet is much more complete (including weapon and vehicle mods, most of the expansion books, etc.)

Emeketos
03-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I can't use the spreadsheet I don't have Microsoft office I wish people would start saving in an open format :/

daiopowen
03-21-2011, 05:30 PM
OpenOffice can open the Excel 97/2003 format. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works properly and the macros work like they should.

Emeketos
03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
BTW would you be ok for me creating a Pixie Mage for my character? I thought it might be interesting to play something different. In it for the amusement other than pay. Exploring the Mortal "Human" world looking for new experiences

PeterDracos
03-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Huh. It's alright by me, if you're up for it... Remember that pixies are recognized as people by France and NeoNET. And that's it. (I don't THINK anyone hunts them for telesma the way they do naga and shapeshifters, but the possibility, hideous as it is, exists.) I can't say too much, since I've rolled a fox shifter before.

Most of the formulas will work fine; there are a few differences but mostly a find/replace can take care of them. The one I remember - though I believe it was for another spreadsheet - was that Excel uses Log(blah, 10) and OpenWorksheet uses Log10(blah). Also Excel separates parameters with commas while OpenWorksheet uses semicolons, but I think the importer takes care of that...

Emeketos
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I got the spreadsheet to work I need to tweak it a bit although for some reason I can't see the data but I can use it. (I can't find the tables where the information is stored) But it does appear to work ok. I was figuring in public going out as a pixie would be kinda difficult but then going out with a "Mask type" spell going you could disguise your self as a human or other metatype with a realistic phantasm illusion or mask spell. I figure phantasm is probably more close to what I need w/ maybe a TK component for picking stuff up. Although its not like there is much in the way of standard meta humanoid stuff a pixie could use. I may need to work out a spell thats simulates a metahuman realistically w/ maybe a telekinetic component for picking up objects. Tk is just enough to fool casual observance not for use in a fight. maybe phantasm w/ a fetish requirement (aka a hair or something of a specific humanoid) but can only imitate that humanoid. the (F/2)+3 drain is a bit much for casual use. Thought of shape-change but thats only for critter types. Although being a critter type makes it kind of interesting heh. This plus their natural defense makes it reasonably safe to go out into the wild.

Playing up the uneducated will be interesting and selecting reasonable knowledge skills

I guess this is what happens when I wait for campaigns to start I end up going into overdrive mode creating character concepts. LKH "Marry Gantry" series gave me the idea of a pixie type or fae.

Initial pass on char creation. Spreadsheet crapped out on gear for some reason.
http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10532

Emeketos
03-25-2011, 07:06 AM
how are everyones characters coming? I am very excited about starting this soon.

PeterDracos
03-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Um - about that. I mentioned that one weekend in April I wouldn't be able to play - apparently that's next Saturday. That said, this will be it for me for weekends until July at the earliest (and hopefully not then, either).

So those of you who haven't posted a draft yet (I'm looking at YOU, everyone but emeketos and daiopowen) have a reprieve.

That said, I am still working on my material; I have several missions done except for the maps, so I'll be ready to go in two weeks, as long as all of the players are.

Emeketos
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
We Might want to create a google group for this game should make it easier to put up the Message board, Notices, events, characters and relavent maps etc.

PeterDracos
03-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Good point. http://groups.google.com/group/exodus-shadowrun?lnk=gcimh and I managed to come up with a name. Who knows, the name may even mean something.

Lynth
04-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Well, I'm still having difficulties. Count me out for the time being. Perhaps I'll sit in on a session if you guys don't mind. Glad I got this going. ^_^

Funkmaster Rick
04-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey, I'm interested in a Shadowrun game, but I'm a total n00b in that respect. Fair bit of experience with D&D, 2nd ed. and on. Probably be a quick pickup, but might need my hand held during the character creation process.

Send me a message on here or Skype if you've still got space.

neurokshinobi
04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
If there's still room, i'd love to run my troll brawling adept again.

Emeketos
04-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey, I'm interested in a Shadowrun game, but I'm a total n00b in that respect. Fair bit of experience with D&D, 2nd ed. and on. Probably be a quick pickup, but might need my hand held during the character creation process.

Send me a message on here or Skype if you've still got space.

I am pretty sure we still have room 1 player has bailed and only 2 characters have actually been submitted. I would more than happily help create a character for you just give a concept and I should be able to help. Might be best to look at the archetypes in the main book to build off that

Ashaman1981
04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I'd like to try playing if you're still taking players

Funkmaster Rick
04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
So who all is still interested? Just figured we could use a count.

parcelbombsmurf
04-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm waiting for the GM to give the time and place.

Emeketos
04-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I am still here waiting in the wings although I have only seen 2 players actually create characters, hopefully those that are still interested will create them soon

daiopowen
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I hope so too. I was looking forward to this. I still am, if it's still going to be on, but most of the people who've said they're interested haven't said any more than that.

Funkmaster Rick
04-19-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm in the process of creating a character, but I'm waiting on Dracos to answer a few questions before I can finish and post it. =(

Funkmaster Rick
04-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I tossed a character up on the wikispace, linked a proto-sheet at pastebin, and threw a basic outline for a backstory on the google group.

Some discussion on the google group would be a welome sign that the dream is still alive!

Emeketos
04-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I created a new variant of the character I am trying to play. This is a more balls to the wall character. Elf/western drake mage. I was very interested in a drake wasn't sure if I could create it. I think it may be a little weak to start but it will get very interesting when it grows with karma.

PeterDracos
04-21-2011, 12:35 AM
What is this, Emeketos, number FOUR? You're starting to seem like you have MY character generation habits! =p

Emeketos
04-21-2011, 03:03 AM
Lol if we wait any longer it may be #5 I just realized how nasty a drake physical adept could be...

Emeketos
04-21-2011, 03:10 AM
But in all seriousness it's between the pixie or drake both characters will have similar background for your sanity (lost love-one, enemy, possibly hunted if that other person really wants the mage slot I will test out the physical adept variant just for shits and giggles. Although the fact the character could have a double digit attribute and possibly as nasty natural weapons *shiver*

Funkmaster Rick
04-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Well, looks like it's coming together. If parcel throws a character sheet up on the wikispace for his Face, then all we really need is to maybe find a sixth to by our hacker or technomancer, or just go with a mainly physical group. Any chance we could end up playing this weekend, Peter?

PeterDracos
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I've got a few adventures that are pretty much good to go; the main thing that I keep not doing is maps, and I can get one done today. Pending Parcel, is everyone good with playing Saturday night US, Sunday Morning Australia/Korea? We'll need a more focused time obviously, but I don't have a timezone chart in front of me and I have to go to work.

Vartan
04-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, i would love to pitch in with a techy of some sort, just let me know what time zones we talking here, and how you want to play? maptoosl + skype or PlayByPost???

thanks
Vartan

Funkmaster Rick
04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
I think the only time we can really play is starting from about 4 PM EST on Saturdays, if I understand the GM's scheduling (from Korea) correctly. A technomancer, or even a generic hacker, would really be welcome.

http://pdr-besm.wikispaces.com/PPRPG
^where our character sheets have been stored, so far

http://groups.google.com/group/exodus-shadowrun/topics
^google group for discussion

I think it was Ventrilo, and either Gametable or MapTools, for the game.

Vartan
04-22-2011, 02:09 PM
well the time seems ok for me so i am in...did you guys switch the rest of the discussion to Google?

Funkmaster Rick
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
For the most part, yes.

gorteck
05-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I would love to play if it is still possiable. I live in Michigan. Just tell me if I can play and what ed. to use.

Funkmaster Rick
05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, we only have four confirmed character sheets, and one maybe. And I think the GM said he was looking to have 6, so it seems we've a spot for you. Unfortunately, we've had some trouble with the software we've been trying to use for the game, but I think we've got that sorted out now. We schedule for 4pm EST on Saturdays, though there might not be a game this week, depending on everyone's availability.

The game is in 4th edition, we're using ventrilo for voice, maptools for the board, and I think we're using the free Hamachi VPN client to overcome some of the difficulties, what with Peter (the GM) being in Vietnam. Scroll back a few pages in this thread, and you'll find where I've linked our GoogleGroup (where most of the discussion is now taking place), and the Wikispace where we've linked all our character sheets.

The environment is Lagos (detailed in Feral Cities). Considering that Lagos is pretty much a black market town, Peter has ruled that we shouldn't worry about availability when crafting your starting gear - subject to his approval, of course. Standard 400 BP.

=D

PeterDracos
05-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Availability is as standard. I had thought that starting characters weren't allowed to have Forbidden gear; this doesn't make sense for Lagos, since- well, there's no one to do the forbidding. However, the other part of availability (rarity) still makes perfect sense in Lagos (just because they're willing to sell it doesn't mean they have it) and is the part tracked by character creation.

Sorry about the confusion; it probably won't be the last time you get a bad ruling because I'm thinking of something completely different.

autobro
05-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey I was interested in your shadowrun game and wondering if your still looking for players. Double tap if you still are.