PDA

View Full Version : Utility of the Rating System, specifically "abuse" of ratings in the Campaign Invitations forum

Umiushi
02-08-2011, 03:04 AM
If you make regular use of these forums, you are probably aware of the ability of every member to cast a single one-to-five "star" vote for each discussion thread. Presumably these ratings would allow us to see an average opinion for the quality of each thread.

I have long had my doubts about the utility of such a system, but I kept my peace until now because I thought that the presence or absence of such ratings didn't really matter.

Currently, a member is regularly assigning one-star ratings to 4th edition D&D games in the Campaign Invitations thread. At last check, they have done this to every 4e game posted since about four weeks ago and they have been active over multiple days.

I am well aware that there are no specific rules governing the use of the rating system. However, one of the forum rules is "Respect fellow members." Trying to maliciously create an environment that makes it hard for game masters to attract players because of the system they have chosen strikes me as a violation of the spirit of that rule.

I am not aware of this happening before, but in any case, this seems to indicate the potential for the rating system to be put to a use that I don't think it was intended for, and one that I would count as an abuse of the tool.

I have some specific proposals regarding this:

Remove the rating system entirely. Let the activity of a thread serve as an indication of its popularity.
Remove the rating system specifically for Campaign Invitations. Let game invitations stand on their own merits and be free from anonymous criticism.
Clarify use of the rating system. Either there are guidelines for how it is to be used, and those guidelines are enforced; or explicitly retain the status quo that anyone may anonymously and freely assign ratings for any reason.

The third proposal is included as a request in case neither of the first two proposals gain any traction, but I am not particularly fond of it. In the first case, an added burden is placed on the administrator or moderators to enforce new guidelines. In the second case, while explicitly keeping the status quo would at least serve to clarify the rating policy, it is clear to me that someone who methodically assigns ratings like this is trying to create a toxic environment that has nothing to do with the actual quality of a given forum thread or their familiarity with the thread in question. If this behavior is legitimized, I would expect that the ratings system will see more use in the future, but only as a kind of virtual graffiti.

yukonhorror
02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
as I said before umi. It may be worthwhile to mention something to the mods explicitly. Hopefully they see this. I have no doubt farcaster can track who has done it and send them a warning.

I think it should be like anything else, in that it isn't explicitly watched for, but if happens, the mods come raining down like the fires of heaven.

Umiushi
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I was going to mention to you, Yukonhorror, that I did take your advice to send a private message to Farcaster in addition to this post.

cplmac
02-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Umiushi, since Farcaster recieves tons of PMs, emails, and etc., please send me a PM about this matter. In the PM, be sure to include as much specific information as possible. This way I may be able to get with Farcaster in a faster manner.

Umiushi
02-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Thank you, Cplmac. I will work on the PM now, based on the one I sent to Farcaster, with an emphasis on specific details. I'm posting this here so that people will know I'm following up on it.

yukonhorror
02-09-2011, 08:47 AM
umi, I couldn't remember who the mod was for the boards as a whole. Thanks cpl. Like I said, I would assume it is easy to track who puts a rating on a thread (and what that rating was).

Farcaster
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for bringing to this my attention. Ratings aren't really valid for Campaign Invitations anymore than they would be for rating someone's profile. So, I have removed the ability to rate campaigns entirely. As to the 4e hater that went through and rated nearly 100 campaigns with a 1-star rating, all I can say is, don't you have something better to do? Christ compels you to get a life.

Umiushi
02-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Thank you, Farcaster. I also agree the rating system isn't particularly applicable for Campaign Invitations and am grateful you decided to remove it from that forum.

tesral
02-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Impresses me as someone that needs a hobby. I see no reason to "spread the hate" if you will. If I don't wish to play a game, I don't play it. Why try to get other people to not play it by being an ass about it? Needs a hobby.

I never use the rating system myself. I'm either interested in a thread or I'm not. Does the system even serve a purpose? Can you restrict what you see by the ratings? I don't know because I never looked for a way to do that. I'm all but blind to those stars.

Soft Serve
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Impresses me as someone that needs a hobby. I see no reason to "spread the hate" if you will. If I don't wish to play a game, I don't play it. Why try to get other people to not play it by being an ass about it? Needs a hobby.

I never use the rating system myself. I'm either interested in a thread or I'm not. Does the system even serve a purpose? Can you restrict what you see by the ratings? I don't know because I never looked for a way to do that. I'm all but blind to those stars.

They need a nice hobby. A fluid, group game to play that everyone can enjoy and is easy to learn...Like 4e!