PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Six: Dark Sails



wizarddog
02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Dark City: The Guild War
Chapter Six: Dark Sails

In the obsidian nights, the Thieves Guild pinnace The Black Ray quietly sets sail out of the bay into the moonlight sea. Aboard the small vessel, our gang of thieves meet face to face with their sea dog counterparts: six burly men, bare chested and armed with daggers and short swords. Their captain, a mousy of a man with long black hair who is simple called Captain Davison.

As the men perform their duties on the ship the captain, in his quite but biting voice speaks to Barnabas, Madoka, and Gisel.

"It be a good eight hours before we intercept what should be the Nymph's Kiss route. I understand you have been through hell and back. The sleeping quarters below will be sanction for you until we reach our destination, if you wish to rest. My crew and I will keep a vigilant eye... and I give my word, not one member of this crew will break Guild respect."

Bearfoot_Adam
02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
"thank you captain. Will it be a rough journey?"

wizarddog
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
"I suspect smooth sailing to our destination...what we may encounter is another all together."

wizarddog
02-13-2011, 11:33 PM
A night passes on board the Black Ray and the dreams in Barnabas' head are disturbing. Upon day break the blurry eyes of both Madoka and Gisel appear from below deck. Despite the mediation and Gisel's lack of dreaming, they too give evidence of some foul vision while they rest, though they keep to themselves.

Once on deck the captain calls for the three.

"Behold, we are catching up to the Nymphs Kiss as I promised."

In the distance you see the black masts of the merchant man in the distance. No sails are furled.

"It appears to be adrift, mi lords. Caution, we should take"

CaptainShar
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Gisele is happy to see sunshine and fresh air, whatever horrors await aboard the ship.

She requests that two crew members row them over to the Nymph's Kiss.

Borodeva
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM
gets into rowboat with the rest of the team.

wizarddog
02-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Two burly men join the thieves as the rowboat is lowered into the frothy sea. The men with muscle precision move the small craft to the side of the Nymphs Kiss. The scene is eerily silent, save for the creaking of the ship in the distance. The crew of the Black Ray watch from afar, crossbows draw in formation.

The men manage to attach the boat to the side and throw hooks ropes up to allow for climb. One scurries up like a spider monkey to the top. Several seconds later he gives an all clear signal and drops two rope ladders on the sides.

CaptainShar
02-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Gisele climbs up one of the rope ladders, slowly because she's still wearing the armor from the caves.

Borodeva
02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Madoka follows, with Continual Light feather in her cap.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Barnasbas climbs as well

wizarddog
02-24-2011, 04:55 AM
The three thieves scutter up the side of the boat. The fourth sea dog follows behind, after securing the rowboat to the side of the ship.

The lead sea dog silently signals and points to the aft and the stern of the ship. Evidence of a battle is scattered about; blood stains, broken blades, etc. On the stern lies the cabins of the with the doors all shut. You can see that crossbow bolts are embedded into the wood. To the aft, the thief points to a red bloody trail, as if something was dragged all the way down into the cargo haul below. Despite the material evidence, their are no bodies of the fallen.

The other sea dog brings forth a dagger he found dug deep in the deck. Its handle bears the symbol of the Guild; now covered in fresh blood.

CaptainShar
02-25-2011, 03:46 PM
"Looks like someone has been here before us. What were we supposed to be doing here, again? We left in such a hurry."

Bearfoot_Adam
02-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Starts quietly looking around for anyone still alive on deck.

Borodeva
02-27-2011, 03:14 PM
(whispers) "We were supposed to meet this ship, find out more about the pirates and who is leading them, and kill them and get revenge! Something like that. But it looks like someone beat us to that."

[also starts to sneak and search.]

CaptainShar
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Gisele joins in the search, holding her robe back from the blood and mess.

wizarddog
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
A sweep of the deck reveals more evidence that a battle had commenced on deck, but no bodies are found. One of the sea dogs tries to secure the wheel but discovers the rudder must be damaged from his test of it.

Below deck a horrendous howl is heard, echoing through the cargo hold grate and throughout the lower shell of the ship. The two seadogs look to you for direction.

[DM Based on your information you garnered from the smugglers, they were planing on something that had to do with the Nymphs Kiss. The guild has sent you to intercept the ship in order to find out what exactly that is; since you could not figure it out earlier. Now that you have found the ship...]

Bearfoot_Adam
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Looks to make sure the others follow and starts t ohead to the lower decks

Borodeva
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
follows Barnabus, then tries to take the lead to move stealthily and look for traps.

"Perhaps it's better if we look for traps."

CaptainShar
03-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Gisele brings up the rear, looking down at the hold with a grimace. "Why did I agree to come, again? Ugh."

wizarddog
03-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Madoka moves ahead of the group as she leads the towards the stairs to the lower decks. The two sea dogs folow, protecting the rear. She comes next to the entrance and notices a arrow trap had been triggered previously at the entrance. Blood stains the opposite wall where an arrow sticks firmly in the wall, its fletching broken; possibly for the wounded creature to force its body off the pinned arrow.

The way below is dark and the sound of sloshing water is heard... as well as whimpering and hissing. The air is foul and tainted with the scent of blood.

Borodeva
03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Whispers to the others, "Arrow trap here. Sprung. Looks like it got something, but it got away. You guys hear that whimpering and hissing below? Sounds like water sloshing, too. Smells like blood. I don't like this. Stay close behind."

[continues slowly ahead, checking for traps and moving stealthily.]

CaptainShar
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Gisele looks more closely at the arrow to see what kind it is, who made it if she's lucky.

(OOC: Go fletching skill!)

wizarddog
03-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Madoka continues slowly down the steps. She see the last two steps are covered in seawater--as well as the entire lower deck by at least 1 foot. The sounds of whimpering and hissing continue as well as the sounds of things moving through the water.

Gisel easily recognizes as a Guild trap arrow. She had re-fletched many at the Guild itself. It is very unlikely she re-fletch any aboard this ship since it would spent most of its time at sea. She does know that these type of traps are usually installed in pairs...

CaptainShar
03-11-2011, 08:20 PM
"This was one of ours," Gisele says. "And if I had been installing the trap, there'd be a second one nearby. So hold out something that's not your head in front of you when you go down."

Borodeva
03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
"Do we really want to go into this water? I hear something moving through the water. Gah."

[searches ahead for traps and begins to wade slowly through the water as quietly as possible.]

wizarddog
03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Madoka moves forward into the water, searching for the expected trap. Sure enough she finds the arrow has not been set off but the trigger looks to be on one of the steps in the now murky sea water. She hears more sloshing about the area and some sunlight beaming into the hull from the outside. With her low light vision she though she see strange bundles suspend from the ceiling scattered about the main hull. Open crates are floating about the area and spilled contents from goods float about in the shadows.

The hissing increasing.

The two seadogs draw their crossbows and cock them looking to you for the next move.

Borodeva
03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
"Looks like this area is getting dangerous. You guys ready for a tussle? The second arrow trap is here. Let me see if I can take care of it. Maybe Barbabus should take the front after that. He's the toughest."

[Either sets off the arrow trap or disarms it, whichever she thinks is safer. Then tries to let Barnabus pass her and begin to lead if he is agreeable to that.]

CaptainShar
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Gisele hangs back a bit but with a good view of the hold, ready to summon a construct should a fight break out.

wizarddog
03-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Baranabs grunts, "Maybe the little wizard should go first, Barnabas not so sure about that last step."

Nevertheless, the burly orc draws his weapons and poses to respond on the first sign of trouble. The two sea dogs look to Madoka and nod.

[DM Seem to have misplaced Barnabas's player ;)]

Bearfoot_Adam
03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
(Sorry, Busy week I'm back though... well said wizard)

CaptainShar
03-23-2011, 08:36 PM
"What do you see down there?"

wizarddog
03-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Barnabas peers through with his dark vision and see forms moving through the water but floating crates and debris block any target.

Madoka peers through the water and tries to locate the step that might trigger the trap. She cannot see it---but she images simply jumping over it is a possibility. However, it may make a splash...

Borodeva
03-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Whispers back to the others:

"Crap, I can't see the trigger. If I jump over I'll probably splash. Oh well, here goes nothing! Watch where I jump and see what happens. If I don't get shot, jump where I did. If I do get shot, well, it's probably safe after that anyways."

[Sets herself for a stealthy jump, then jumps over the steps she suspects may hold the trigger. My Move Silently is high, let's hope...]

CaptainShar
03-25-2011, 01:14 PM
"There might be an easier way to solve this," Gisele says. She looks at the boards of the steps to see which one is less scuffed than the others. That must be the one the sailors skip over.

wizarddog
03-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Madoka makes a jump over the step and splashes below reaching her waist. The hissing stops and only the whimpering is heard along with the creaking of the ship.

Gisel tries to spot the step most worn but the murky water prevents her from seeing it.

The two sea dogs follow suit with Madoka and flank each side of her with their crossbows; pointed ready to strike.

CaptainShar
03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
*still chillin' at the top of the steps, waiting for an all-clear, or for something to jump out at us*

Borodeva
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
"C'mon down, but skip those steps. I have a feeling we're gonna have company."

[motions to the others to follow.]

Bearfoot_Adam
03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Follows, making sure to avoid the steps.

CaptainShar
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
"That is exactly why I'm going to stay up here."

OOC: I think the "reluctant hero" adds a little spice to the game, but if it gets too annoying, let me know.

wizarddog
03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Barnabas steps cautiously over the step and stands behind Madoka. Suddenly one of the sea dog gives yelp and is pulled under the water. The second sea jumps to the side but a claw slashes out of the water and strikes him across the chest and he falls into the water, blood clouding the water where he stood.

(DM Gisel readied an action to summon a construct, she can spend her readied action to start here, and next round finish the summons and take a move action. Barnabas is adjacent to where the claw came out Madoka is/was adjacent to the two sea dogs who are no longer there. )

Borodeva
03-30-2011, 04:19 PM
"Claw things under water! Let's get 'um!"

[5-steps to the side and readies a Mortalbane Eldritch Blast (3d6 damage to living creatures) to launch at the first enemy that appears.]

CaptainShar
03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Gisele's eyes close and her hands work as she starts to pull strings of glowing goo out of the air.

(Summoning an Amber Tunneler with a 30 ft. swim speed and 5 extra HP. It will look like a lobster when it's done.)

Borodeva
03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
[I glance over to watch Gisele work and I DON'T SHOOT THE LOBSTER!]

wizarddog
04-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Madoka adjusts her eyes, gazing at the water around her. A dark form rushes towards her under the water, she blasts it with her infernal arcane energy. The form stops, a puddle of red liquid surrounds the form an a hulking scaly carcass with a large gaping hole rises to the surface.

Barnabas watches as the form by Gisel begins to take shape. Another creature emerges from the water and slashes at him but it digs only into his armor. Standing toe to toe with the orc is a muscular scaly humanoid with webbed fingers and sharp fangs hanging from its mouth. [DM Barnabas needs to act].

The shape of a foul and strange lobster begins to take form in the air around Gisel. She drops it into the water adjacent to the creature next to Barnabas. It slashes its claw at the creature, gripping it in the arm. The creature pulls his arm out and blood splatter on the construct and in the water. (Enemy takes 5 points of damage).

[DM Gisle -please indicate if this is a 1st level construct or 2nd level]

CaptainShar
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
It's a second-level construct.

Gisele moves a bit closer to the fight.

"Go lobster go!"

Borodeva
04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
"Just like shooting fish in a barrel! I'll play again!"

[5-steps around to get a clean shot at the one on Barnabus, then fires a normal 1d6 Eldritch Blast.]

wizarddog
04-12-2011, 03:16 PM
The Latge orc, upon seeing Madokas intent on blasting the creature next to him, swings hissword at the creature. But it blocks his blow with its arm. Not so lucky it could block his mace, which swung around the other side, cracking against the creatures head and sending it down into the drink.

Barnabas croaks: "Barnabas will guard the passage. Little elf and lobster woman should check for survivors of any weak humans."

He looks down at the one sea dog floating in the water.

"Be quick, Barnabas does not like it here..."


[DM sorry for the delay, just started doing sub-work for the district]

Borodeva
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
"Keep your eyes peeled, pig-man. The fish around here are hungry."

[pushes forward, looking ahead while checking for traps and trying to move stealthily.]

CaptainShar
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Gisele directs her construct to scuttle up the steps and set off the last arrow trap. Once it does, she loads her crossbow and gingerly steps into the bloody water.

wizarddog
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
A thud of a crossbow bolt from a trigger step embeds itself in the wall and Madoka leads Gisel through the waist water hold of the ship.

Madoka adjust her eyes and approaches the area where a few bundles are hanging from the ceiling. Currently, she only hears the creaking and sloshing of the sea water about her.

Borodeva
04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
"Nobody home? What about that howling we heard?"

[continues on, watching and listening carefully. checks for traps and then examines the handing bundles.]

CaptainShar
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
"I don't like the looks of those," Gisele says.

wizarddog
04-15-2011, 06:42 PM
The howling has stopped since the short battle and Madoka checks the strange bundle adjacent to her. She pulls back some of the cloth and a blood soaked hand falls out into the drink. Probing further she see a body that has been hacked apart and stuffed in the bundle. She makes an assessment that their appears to be over 10 of these bundles swaying below deck.

Then the whimpering she heard earlier stars up again. It appears to be further down into the darkness of the hull.

Borodeva
04-15-2011, 08:02 PM
"Nothing here but hacked up bodies. I hear the whimpering again ahead in the darkness. Let's go check."

[continues on, checking for traps, being alert, and moving stealthily.]

CaptainShar
04-16-2011, 01:52 PM
"Maybe someone survived," Gisele says. She continues to follow Madoka.

wizarddog
04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Madoka leads Gisel pass a group of fly infested bodies hanging in the sacks. At last Madoka can see what appears to be a scak that is much longer and not so taunt. A figure seems to be struggling inside the sack and whimpering. Empty crates and debris float about the drink in the area. Madoka see no obvious traps in the area nor does she see any enemies...

Borodeva
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
"Hey, you there hanging in the sack, we're friends. We've come to rescue you. Can you come out or should we come cut you down?"

[Shouts ahead in common and waits for response. If none, shouts in elvish, then in thieves' cant. If still no response, then moves ahead and tries to cut down whatever is in the sack.]

CaptainShar
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Gisele keeps her crossbow trained on the spot where whatever-it-is will drop.

wizarddog
04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
A voice in the sack response in harsh whisper.

"Help. Oh god. Help. They are everywhere! Hurry please!"

Madoka approaches and slices down the sack. Out comes a hafling with bruises on his face. He clings to Madoka and shivers.

"We have to get out...she's still around here!"

A large splash is heard in the distance. Gisel points her crossbow in the direction but sees nothing.

"She'll burn your eyes out!" exclaims the hafling.

Borodeva
04-25-2011, 08:14 PM
[whispers:]

"Who's still around? What powers does she really have? Don't worry, we can take her!"

[checks around to make sure they have searched the whole area, then turns towards the direction of the splash and begins to carry the halfing in that direction, lighting up her free right hand with eldritch power.]

CaptainShar
04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Gisele splashes along after with her crossbow in hand.

wizarddog
05-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Lead by Madoka and a clinging hafling, Gisele follows the gusty elf through the waist deep water. The ship is earily quite save for the creak and lapping of the water.


Madoka immediately notices a shark fin rapidly approaching them no less than 25 feet from her position!

Borodeva
05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
"Incoming! Barnabus, we could use a little help here!"

[Unleashes a mortalbane (3d6) eldritch blast at the shark creature, then steps behind Barnabus if he can be found.]

CaptainShar
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Gisele fires her crossbow at the shark.

"This little critter can't be what tied everyone up in bundles!"

wizarddog
05-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Madoka blast at the creature with her mighty eldritch blast but the hafling pulls on her arm in excited astonishment. Her blast instead bounces off the ceiling, sending splinters into the drink. The shark dives into the water and immediately bites into Madoka's leg. The shark's tech dig deep into her side (6 points of damage). Gisel fire at the shark with her crossbow but the bolt bounces harmlessly against the water. The hafling begins yelping and splashing in the fray.

(Baranbas is guarding the doorway) You begin to hear the grunts of the orc and his blades clashing behind you in the darkness.

"Barnbas busy right now! Fishmen trying to take him down!"

(Actions)

CaptainShar
05-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Gisele starts thinking about sharks until she finds the mind next to hers. Blood. Elf. Leg. Wet. Excitement.

She speaks to it of stars and mountaintops, of the feeling of sand between its toes. And its head explodes. (Hopefully :))
2d10 Mind Thrust, DC 14 Will negates.

Borodeva
05-05-2011, 09:56 PM
"Ahh, stop squirming or we'll all be bait!"

[5-steps away from the shark and fires another Mortalbane 3d6 blast, this time at its head.]

wizarddog
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
The hafling, now frantically trying to sim fall under the water. Madoka rips her leg out of the jaws of the creature and foul black energy erupts from her hands striking the shark in the head. The blast rips flesh from the creature and it draws back. But its back off is brief as its might jaws snap at Madoka again. This time she evade the massive teeth and Gisel uses her unearthly mental power to send forth a mighty psychic blast. The creature moans from the assault and blood oozes forms it snout. It thrashes violently in the water and settles down; now belly up dead in the drink.

A quick look around and it appears the hafling is drowning (rolled a 1 on swim check); having sunken deeper into the water. The sounds of battle linger near the exit where Barnbas must be holding ground.

Gisel hears the sounds of hissing coming from her left. A foul stench fills the air; that of dead fish and brimstone...

(Actions)

CaptainShar
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
"1 point for team Sharkbait!"

Gisele fishes around for the halfling and backs up from the left.

Borodeva
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
"What's that hissing? Grab that runt, I think we've got more company!"

[turns to face the hissing and looks for enemies, readying a Color Spray to hit as many of them as possible if they approach within range.]

wizarddog
05-21-2011, 04:18 PM
(DM sorry for delay; have been overwhelmed working at the preschool for a week)

Gisel moves forward into the water to try and grab the swimming hafling-to her dismay he falls under the water and she begins fishing around try to find him.

Madoka turn and sees silhouetted against the creeping light 30 feet away of the open hull, a humanoid shape much like the ones they encountered. However this one has the slender and hip contour of a female. Two bat-like wings stretch from her side filling the space she occupies and two glowing red eyes flare from her head. Every step she takes, steam rises from the ocean water creating misting cloud. The hiss then turns to a high pitch screech and a swarm of dark fish creatures swarm about her.

(actions)

CaptainShar
05-22-2011, 05:47 PM
"Now is NOT the time to be drowning," Gisele mutters. She keeps an eye out for any flailing motions from the halfling while she starts to summon a flying construct.

Borodeva
05-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Shouts out while readying an Eldritch Blast to shoot the demon if it starts casting or using a supernatural ability.

"What do you want with this ship, demon? Leave now or you'll be the next fish with a hole in its head!"

Intimidate +10, while flaring up my Eldritch power, trying to shake her.

wizarddog
05-28-2011, 11:33 PM
The foul creatures stops in its tracks from the words of Madoka, though the swarm of fish continues to advance. Apparently the creature is quite startled by Madoka's defiance and is shaken for 1 round. Its eyes dim slightly and it speaks in high pitch voice answering Madoka's challenge:

"Hear me mortal! I am Sahassh, from the larvae of Sekolah! All in this sea belongs to me! This ship is my prize for my alliance with the Captain Mortimer and his allies on the Dark Sail"

The swarm of darkly black fish move sinisterly towards Madoka and Gisel.

Gisel begins to summon a construct but loses sight of the hafling who may now be at the bottom of the water drowning.

(actions)

CaptainShar
05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Gisele directs her summon to attack the demon once it materializes. She starts to fish around for the halfling again.

Borodeva
05-30-2011, 01:47 AM
"That dolt Mortimer didn't tell you we killed half his crew, did he? And now we've come for YOU!"

[tries to identify this type of demonic fish and what it can do, then 5-steps back and unleashes a Color Spray upon the swarm of fish, trying to get them all in the swirling blast.]

wizarddog
05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Madoka knows that Sekolah is the God of the Sahuagin. Referring to herself as the larvae, this creature must be of half-fiend origin. In which case, she knows it is nearly impervious to normal weapons, fire, cold and other elements and is resistant to magic (and psionics). The fish comig at here appear to be tiny sturgeon with razor teeth; but based on her experience she recognizes them summoned from the use of Eldritch Magic. This half-fiend is a warlock!

Madoka aims her blast of phantasmal energy at the swarm but it seems to be unaffected.

Gisels astral construct appears and immediately attacks the half-fiend. It strikes but the half-fiend simply bats the creatures attack to the side.

The creature then releases a blast of energy from its eyes at the astral construct; striking it (5 points of damage).

The swarm of fish surround Madoka and Gisele. They begin nipping at Madoka and Gisle. Gisele starts to feel nauseated. Madoka and Gisle both take 1 hit point of damage from the bites which leave nasty wounds. Gisele tries to fish out the hafling but bumps her head by a passing floating crate.

Madoka hears the mighty roar of Barnabas under a sound of clashing blades and splashes in the darkness.

CaptainShar
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Gisele tries to twist the half-fiend's mind (Psionic Mind Thrust) and continues searching for the halfling.

Borodeva
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
"Split up! Those fish can't be everywhere!"

[Moves out of the fish swarm, then launches an Eldritch Blast at the half-fiend.]

wizarddog
06-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Madoka moves out of the snapping fish swarm and aims a blast of eldritch energy towards the half-fiend but the presence of the astral construct blocks her shot. The astral construct tries to snap at the foul creature and digs its fangs into its side (3 points of damage). The creature in return wails its claws and fangs on the construct, both claws slide harmlessly off the astral construct but the deep fangs of the creature dig deep (3 points of damage to astral construct). Gisel sends forth a blast of psychic energy but the foul creature only growls, unaffected by the psychic assault. The creature then drops down into the water out of sight. The fish continue to snap at Gisel (6 points of damage). Out of sheer luck (natural 20), Gisel managed to grab the shirt of the hafling in the dark water and hang pull him up, just as the swarm begins to dissipate into smoke.

CaptainShar
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Gisele staggers toward Barnabus with the halfling in tow and heals herself for 4 points (spending 2 PP). "Cough, cough - let's get out of here, Madoka!"

Borodeva
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
"Dammit, we almost had her! I'm right behind you. C'mon, Barney!"

[Casts Obscuring Mist to cover their retreat and follows Gisele to escape the ship.]

wizarddog
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Madoka and Gisel make their way back to the stairs of the ship. There they see the armored orc panting with several dead humanoids floating in blood soaked water. His sword and mace drip with blood and several large gashes are on is arms and chest.

"Fish men get crazy when they bleed" he grumbles. "You find what you are looking for?..'cuz Barnabas ready to leave!"

Borodeva
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
"Let's get back to the guild. I suspect this little one has valuable information."

[points at the soggy halfling Gisele is now toting.]

CaptainShar
06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Gisele heals both Barnabas and Madoka for 2 HP each (spending 2 PP).

"I'm just about dry here, let's try not to run into any trouble on the way back."

Borodeva
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
"Barnabus, did you see or hear anything useful while we were separated? Let's head back to the guild ASAP."

[Leads the group back to the guild in rapid, but stealthy fashion for debriefing. What does our boss say? Can a brother get some XP?]

CaptainShar
06-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Gisele keeps a wary eye out on the boat ride back. She also checks to make sure the halfling coughs up any water in his lungs.

wizarddog
06-11-2011, 11:02 PM
"Barnabas not keen on conversation with fishmen. Too many wanted him for lunch..."

Emerging from the sinking ship the group rise from the hull and see in the distance the sea dogs were battling other creatures aboard their ship. They are in the process of tossing the bodies over the side.

The captain waves to you. "Ahoy! We drove off these creatures as you ascended, my guess is--by the Gods! Look out!"

The captain paniking finger shakes as a bundle of rigging above you begins to tumble down! [actions]

Borodeva
06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
"What the..!"

[Steps aside to avoid the falling rigging, then looks all around to see what is going on and shoots an Eldritch Blast at the nearest enemy, or Color Spray if there are multiple enemies nearby.]

CaptainShar
06-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Gisele ducks deeper into the boat to avoid setting it off-balance. She grabs hold of the ropes and bits of wood.

wizarddog
06-17-2011, 10:35 PM
The rigging collapses down on the deck below. Gisel and Madoka dodge out of the way as it tumble son top of Barnabas. The orc lets out a groan. High above Madoka spots the foul sea-daemon flying above.

"You will payssss for yoy interferrensss!" She flys in an arc and immediately soars towards Madoka. Just as Madoka is about to blast the creature it turns completely dark around her!

Gisel is also engulfed in the darkness.

[Actions]

Borodeva
06-19-2011, 12:32 AM
DM Question: Madoka has always worn a feather of Continual Flame while adventuring (see previous chapters, including the visit to the Scrag). Does my feather counteract this magical darkness? If so, I believe the net effect is that the prevailing light returns to the area. (In that case I blast the half-fiend in the face with my Eldritch Blast as it approaches and before I will provoke from it.)

CaptainShar
06-19-2011, 06:09 PM
"It followed us. Fantastic." Gisele mumbles as she pulls out her crossbow.

wizarddog
06-28-2011, 01:25 AM
DM: Sorry for the Delay-I wss in Portland for a week and did not get back to the CPU for a while.

The darkness around Madoka evaporates as her feather shines a bright beacon of defiance. But it too (temporarily) dims and the light around her is as it should be(Both spells are 2nd level and cancel each other out). Madoka blasts the creature as it swoops down at her (4 points of damage). The blast was enough to throw the creature off balance and she misses Madoka with her sinister claws. She swoops past her and arcs again into the sky cursing in Infernal.

Gisel, not hindered by the lack of light thanks to the feather, pulls out her crossbow and aims at the passing demon. She fires a bolt but it flies by the creature harmlessly.

The half-orc grunts and tries to lift the fallen mast and riging off to no avail.

The se dogs on the opposite boat fire a volley of crossbow bolts at the sea demon, they strike the creature dead on but bounce harmlessly off her hide.

(actions)

Borodeva
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
"We need magic weapons to hurt her! Sailors, go help the orc up if you don't have any magic bolts! Captain, do you have any magic weapons?"

[fires off another Eldritch Blast at the demon then takes cover behind the mast.]

CaptainShar
06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Gisele tries to help Barnabas shift the mast off himself.

(I'm taking 8 credits in 6 weeks, so I'm pretty busy right now - updates will be a bit spotty.)

wizarddog
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
"Arg! We be needing the black arrows." Captain turns to one of his mates, "Open the Captain's Chest, Johnson!" A scruffy sea dog leaves the ranks and heads to the deck below. The theives realease another volley of bolts but the other round bounce harmlessly off the creature. Gisel rushes to the Orcs side and with a mighty heave, pulls the fallen rigging off of him. The orc stumbles out and stands, spitting blood from his mouth "Barnabas not Happy!"

The foul demon banks around in the sky. As the two warlocks get within 30 feet of each other a blast of eldritch energy erupts from both. Madoka's strikes the creature in the face (2 points of damage) just as she dodges behind the standing mast and the creature swoops past, its foul eldritch energy blasting wildly into the air.

[Actions]

[DM Post when you can-we all seem a bit busy]

Borodeva
07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
"Barney, use your magic weapons! Gisele, you got any way to bring this demon down to the deck? I'm gonna keep blastin'!"

[continues to snipe with her Eldritch Blast from the cover of the mast.]

CaptainShar
07-11-2011, 01:12 AM
"I can try - that's gonna be about it for me, though," Gisele says as she starts summoning a flying astral construct. (3 PP for second-level construct)

wizarddog
07-14-2011, 07:35 PM
The ectoplasm around Gisel begins to take shape. The demon swings about around again. Its eyes burn a fiery red of eldritch enegry and balst at Madoka who returns the blast. Both Magical energies hit each other and explode in the air. The Demon continues to fly pass, too far for the orc to strike.

"Ug. Barnabas not too sure what he can do!"

The seadogs and their captain wait patiently for their precious black arrows to arrive.

[actions]

Borodeva
07-15-2011, 05:17 PM
"Arrows, arrows, c'mon! Bring that b*tch to deck so Barney can pound her! Magic weapons!"

[continues to snipe with her Eldritch Blast from the cover of the mast.]

wizarddog
07-25-2011, 12:05 AM
A Strange creature with wings forms in front of Gisele. It soars in the sky to engage the seadevil. It slams into the demon and the two engage in hand-to-hand combat in the air. Its slam hits the demon, but seems to cause no damage. The Demon tries to slash at the form with her claws but misses wildly in the fray.

Madoka tries to strike the creature with an eldritch blast but the two forms dart back and forth in the sky. The Seadogs scurry to two of their kin as they emerge with a long black locked chest. The Captain reveals a key from around his neck and begins to unlock it.

Barnabas waits patiently for an opening...

[Actions]

Borodeva
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
"Drag it down to the deck! Clobber it with magic weapons!"

[continues to snipe with her Eldritch Blast from the cover of the mast.]

wizarddog
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Up in the air the sea demon and the atral construct battle in the air. The construct tries to penetrate the scaly hide of thr seademon to no avail but the creature slashes fantically at the constrict ripping it apart with her hands. The sea-dogs give a black bow to their captain who aims the strange black tip arrow at the creature, awaiting an opening.

In few seconds, the astral construct is torn to shred and dissipates. The captain lets one of his arrows fly true but the demon dodges to the side and the arrow misses. The sea devil immediatel dives towards Madoka behind the mast. At 30 feet both unleash their eldritch blasts. Madoka's balst shoots off wildly while the sea demons strikes true, hitting Madoka in the chest (4 points of damage). As it arcs back up, Barnabas tries to take it down with his mace, hurling it at the creature but it misses terribly.

The captain readies another arrow and Barnabas runs to retrieve his mace. Gisel takes shelter behind another mast, loading her crossbow.

[Actions]

CaptainShar
08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
OOC: I was intending to have my construct try to tackle the demon and bring it down to the deck. Guess that's what I get for having finals week. Oh well.

Gisele will whisper something in one of the sailor's ears: "I'm going to try to lure it beneath one of the sails, you try to tangle it with the cloth once I do."

Then Gisele makes a big show of pointing at the demon, and shouts, "You'll never learn the secret of the seven!" (hoping the demon is curious)

Borodeva
08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
"One of us is going down, and it's not gonna be me!"

[continues to snipe with her Eldritch Blast from the cover of the mast.]

wizarddog
08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
The foul creature, now foaming at the mouth swoops down at Barnabas and knocks the orc over the side of the boat. As the loud splah of the orc is heard on the other side it land firmly on the deck with flaming red eyes. Just as it glares its mighty flaming eyes at Madoka a sinister black arrow hits it straight in the chest. It howls in pain from the piercing magic arrow jutting out of its torso (Critical hit). It staggers a bit on the deck, clearly some what incapacitated by the injury. The seamen on the adjacent ship cheer and the captain sneers a mighty nod to Madoka.

"Finish it off mi Lady!" he yells.

Madoka seizes the moment...

Borodeva
08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
"You should have just kept on flying, b*tch!"

[If the demon is truly staggered I will approach it and coup de grace it with my Eldritch Blast. If it is still able to fight, I will just step out from behind the mast and blast it in the face.]

CaptainShar
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Gisele keeps her crossbow trained on it should it start to fly again.

wizarddog
08-17-2011, 09:57 PM
The demoness staggers to her knees, just as Madoka walks up and blasts her into the face. She crumples to ground, hissing..."so be it...the cursed have risen again..." and she dies on the deck, blood oozing from her eldritch fried body.

The captain of the ship yells "Orc overboard!"

CaptainShar
08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Now that the fight is over, Gisele rushes to the side of the deck and vomits - hopefully not on Barnabus.

By the by, what happened to the halfling we rescued?

Borodeva
08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
"I told you not to mess with me," Madoka spits under her breath as she uncoils a line to throw over to the wet orc.

"Now who's got some healing?" Black burns, blood, and wicked claw slashes stain her once-stylish clothes.

wizarddog
08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
A quick glance overboard for the orc reveals nothing. The crew of The Black Ray begin a cursory search of ocean but find no trace of the orc or his body.

"Tis as if he was swallowed whole in the drink below" mutters the Captain Davison.

The crew salavage what they can from the Nymph's Kiss and promptly send it down with oil and flame.
After boarding The Black Ray, the hafling who calls himself Sinneas O'Shea, begins to clam down, secured aboard the ship and filled with a hot meal.

"I cannot thank you enough for my rescue. I am in your debt."

(DM ask away any questions; be aware of your objectives)

Borodeva
08-29-2011, 02:44 PM
"Was that demon 'The Voice?' What do you know about her? What happened on the Nymph's Kiss when the whole crew was killed? What were you doing onboard? Did you see Captain Mortimer or any pirates?"

CaptainShar
08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Were you overrun by sahuagin? Did they or the pirates take anything?

(DM, have you been keeping track of how many PP I have left? This has been going on for a while so I've lost track. If I have one left I'll heal Madoka for 2 points.)

wizarddog
09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
"Was that demon 'The Voice?' " What do you know about her?
She called herself Sahassh. I don't believe anyone else referred to her as "The Voice" though the human crew of the other ship mention such a person. Oh, yes, I forgot to tell you how this all began...

After three day out from the City on our voyage to Freeport we encounter another ship in distress. It was flying the same colors of our guild and we intercepted it to see if we could help. Immediately I knew something was up...the ship looked exactly like the Nymph's Kiss! Before I could raise my suspicions to the first officer we were attacked! At first, the crew aboard the other ship began the assault, leaping across from starboard to port welding blades and crossbows. Our sea dogs repelled the first wave but tey were overrun from below. That is the Sahuagin boarded the ship from below. Again our seadogs took a defensive position trying defend both flanks...and they were defending the line..until the second ship arrived...

What happened on the Nymph's Kiss when the whole crew was killed? What were you doing onboard?
We were outnumbered, and with our captain dead and the ship damaged by means I know not, the crew surrender. The crew was order to move some of the cargo to the fake ship and the other they order thrown over the edge into the water. I swore I saw more of the fish men taking those crates down with them. When the ship was emptied, the fake ship hoisted sail and went on its way in the direction of Freeport. The rest of us were abandoned with the fishmen... they showed no mercy. The crew was systematically slain and chopped up and hung in the belly of the sinking ship. I only managed to evade this fate by hiding in the galley. But as the water rised I had to leave my hiding place..that's when I was caught. I would have suffered the same fate have it not been for you...

Did you see Captain Mortimer or any pirates?"
I know not who these persons were. They might be pirates but they dressed as guild sea dogs and traders. One person seemed to be in charge of the faux Nymph's Kiss. That might have been the Captain. The name is not familiar to me. The other, while dressed up as guildmen seemed ..out of place...and then there was the "Captain" of the other ship

[DM since you will be resting after this..I'm not too concern with the PP]

Borodeva
09-07-2011, 02:26 AM
"What is this second enemy ship you mention? Tell us more. And what about the Captain of the second ship? Tell us how the fake guildmen and sea dogs seemed out of place. What was the mission of your ship? Where we you sailing before you were attacked, and for what purpose? Don't leave out any details. All of this information is very important to us. Can you think of anything else that seemed odd or interesting or surprising?"

wizarddog
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
What is this second enemy ship you mention?

Yes, the second ship. It came out of no where--well not exactly out of no where. I swear I saw a black sail rise out of the water itself! After it reached its peak a small black pinnace was at the side of our ship.

Tell us more.

As soon as the ship arrived four cloaked men emerged from the ship. They leaped through the air as if walking. From their hands, sharp blades shot out and struck two of our crossbow men in the throat, slaying them instantly. Their appearence invigorated the "pirates" and it wasn't long before our crew surrendered.

And what about the Captain of the second ship?

Once the crew was disarmed, another man boarded the ship. He too seem to just float on the the ship. He was draped in a black cloak and hood. I could sworn there were strange glowing letters or symbols circling his head. He approached the sea captain, spoke in whisper, and then he and his four comrades flew back to the small ship. It again sank into the water!

Tell us how the fake guildmen and sea dogs seemed out of place.

They just were not members of the guild. You can tell. They seemed more like mercenaries and thugs rather than refined guild and seadogs. Their blades were rusted and chipped, faces worn by weather and sun, and mannerisms of thoughs living outside of civilization.

What was the mission of your ship? Where we you sailing before you were attacked, and for what purpose?

We were delivering a shipment of goods to Freeport. As you know, when the Guild delivers goods, they usually are counter-band. In this case we were delivering weapons for client in Freeport along with some other trade goods that usually have a high tariff if they are declared.

Don't leave out any details. All of this information is very important to us. Can you think of anything else that seemed odd or interesting or surprising

Lots of things seem odd! Why the other ship took great pains to make it self look like the Nymph's Kiss? If this was simply a attack on our ship, why did they create another identical ship? And why did the fish people need the weapons? I'm just a ships cook...

CaptainShar
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
"We should send a message to the guild to keep an eye out for the fake Nymph's Kiss. It may be in port right now!"

"Did you see which direction the black-sailed ship went when it submerged again?"

wizarddog
09-13-2011, 02:31 PM
"We should send a message to the guild to keep an eye out for the fake Nymph's Kiss. It may be in port right now!"

The Captain of the Black Ray turns to Gisele:
"Aye, mi Lady, if only we could. We have only one carrier pigeon and she returns only to the city. It is three days to Freeport. As far as this faux Nymph's Kiss is concerned, if she be a mere merchantman, then I can catch up to her in two days. However, what are you planning to do once you catch up on her? I already lost two men today..."

"Did you see which direction the black-sailed ship went when it submerged again?"

"I'm afraid not", replies the hafling, "once it went into the water, I lost track of it."

Borodeva
09-13-2011, 03:32 PM
"Captain, we have strong magic. We might be able to take her. We are one orc down though. Crap. Is it possible we could overtake the fake Nymph's Kiss in the night without her knowing, then beat her to Freeport, gather reinforcements, and then have a surprise waiting for them? With some guild men at our backs we could surely take the ship!"

wizarddog
09-14-2011, 10:00 AM
The captain ponders: "Aye, we could beat her to Freeport but we have to take another route, less we give way our position and advantage. That would bring use through the Siren's Shoal, no faint of heart should attempt to cross it."

The hafling studders; "The S-Siren's Shoal. But-But they say it is cursed..."

"Aye. But I have sailed the Shoal once before and as long as we keep our wits about us we won't fall victim as the many ships through the centuries."

"Isn't their another way...what about allowing the Nymph-the other ship to dock in Freeport and we--er you sneak aboard while in port?"

"Aye. A cautious way, though I wonder if the leaders of this band would still be aboard at that time..."

"If it keeps us away from the Siren Shoal..."

CaptainShar
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
"Let us send the pigeon to let the Guild know of our plans; perhaps they can teleport some backup to Freeport.

What are the dangers of Siren Shoal, captain?"

wizarddog
09-15-2011, 10:08 AM
"Aye mi Lady or at least give a heads up to the Guild Agents working Freeport (via some magic). As far as helping us now, the pigeon would never make it to the city in time."

"The Siren Shoal is a narrow strip of sharp rocks they say was once part of the Island of Castile, a legendary Island that was sunk by a volcano eruption. A narrow section between the sharp rocks is a direct route to Freeport but it is riddled in rumor. A strange fog usually encompasses it which makes its crossing very precarious; some claim as result of the curse that befell the people of Castile. Many of sailor and ship have met their end on the rocky shore of the Shoal, some from lack of experience navigating waters, other claim for the spirits of Castile who haunt the place.

"I have traveled through the Shoals once before, evading three Overlord navy ships on my trail. Two of those ships refused to enter but the third ship, The Nightingale, was captain by a arrogant officer known as Captain Fergus. Trying to prove his superiors of his tenacity, he chased after me into the Shoals. While we were in the fog, he was within earshot; taunting me and my ship; saying he was going to bring us in chains in front of the Overlord himself. His taunts, however, grew fainter, and fainter, and eventually ceased. Needless to say, he failed in his threat, for when we cleared the fog, his ship was no long behind me. Since this day, I know not the fate of the Nightingale nor do I care."

The hafling interrupts: "You see! It's cursed! We can't possibly go in there!"

Borodeva
09-19-2011, 01:27 PM
"I vote for the Shoals. No guts, no glory! We'll beat those bast@rds back to Freeport and set up an ambush that they won't forget! We owe them for Barney. He was an orc, but he was one of us. Now what magic have we got to send a message back to Freeport? Gisele? I think I've got nothing."

wizarddog
09-21-2011, 01:26 AM
"Alas" the captain says in a grim voice, "The guild provided only the pigeon for such communication, and only back to the city. Guild wizards may be able to send a message to Freeport once the pigeon arrives and hopefully reinforcements will have been called. Tis no guarantee but I wager well on that bet..."

The hafling sighs..."I see we have no choice..."

Borodeva
09-21-2011, 02:21 AM
"Away we go then! Make haste!"

CaptainShar
09-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Gisele nods in agreement.

"Make sure to put all that information we learned in the message with the pigeon, in case further 'adventures' detain us. I'm gonna go take a nap."

wizarddog
09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
The remains of the sinking ship are burned by the sea dogs and the captain orders the crew of The Black Ray to make haste to the Siren Shoals. The night falls swiftly and in the morning the Captain calls you to the top deck.

From the distance you see a misty horizon before you, the sun is red above like a large angry eye of a god.

"Inside this infernal mist lies the Siren Shoals. Only the souls of fools or brevity attempt its crossing. Yer halfling companion makes a plea we dare not enter. Shall we tempt fate once again?"

DM You have now rested. I will post XP rewards in a day or so. If you advance you may advance. If you have magical items you want to know what they do, that information will be revealed to you.

wizarddog
10-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Without a sign of protest, the captain orders the Black Ray in the mist ahead. The thick fog rolls across the deck and vision is limited to barely a few feet ahead of you. The crew of the ship is very quiet except for the captain who barks to the lookouts for any sign of rock.

Your ship travels for no more than 30 minutes when the Midshipman approaches.

"Captain, we seem to be missing a crewman. Juston McLay. He is not at post."

The Captain looks at Madoka: "I need someone to conduct a search onboard. My crew and I need to concentrate on navigating the waters."

Borodeva
10-05-2011, 02:01 AM
"No problem! We got this. What does Juston McLay look like? How will we know him when we see him? Where was his last post? How do we get there?"

CaptainShar
10-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Gisele rises from her sleep refreshed. "Divide and conquer" she says to Madoka.

wizarddog
10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
The Captain speaks: "Juston is a good lad. Five foot 7 with dusty blond hair, age of a mere 18. He has served on this ship for two years, son of a Seadog who served 30. He did not report to his post. His last known where about were the crew quarters last night. No one has seen him since.

Borodeva
10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
"Let's go check out the crew quarters then. We should ask around and make sure no one saw or heard anything that might be helpful in our search."

[heads to crew quarters with Gisele and starts to ask investigative questions to every crewman they encounter.]

wizarddog
11-13-2011, 02:33 PM
The way to the crew quarters is without incident; all of the rst of the crew remains on deck. As Gise and Madoka enter the crew quarters they see the shadowy silloutte of a man sitting on a bunk. A whpsery voice comes from him:

"Madoka. Gisel. I have been expecting you. Time is not on your side and You are in danger..."