PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer question

KimiAshinhurst
01-22-2011, 01:30 AM
I am currently running a lvl1 - lvl20 campaign. I have a story hook planned for the characters to encounter a lich, but I would prefer to do it before lvl13 as I have other things planned for around then. Is there anyway around the spellcaster 11 minimum for becoming a Lich? Any story ideas to use as an excuse if there isn't a way within the rules?

rabkala
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Depending what you want to do with the lich, there are rules in the Forgotten Realms for creating a good lich. The characters may not actually have to fight such a threat. Possibly they go after some specialized minions of his, then later find that the lich wasn't evil.

In the early stages of 3e I ran across several underpowered Liches in adventures. To my recollection, two were in Sword and Sorcery adventures. There is an 8th level sorcerer/minor lich in the Banewarrens by Monte Cook which is written off a variant sorcerer from The Book of Eldritch Might II: Songs and Souls of Power. The other was a lich like undead in one of the S&S books, maybe one of the Ravenloft ones. Neither had a phylactery and were underpowered.

There was also one I read of (Dungeon Magazine, I think) that was story based in its lack of power. I believe there were problems with it's phylactery creation. After the lich was destroyed the first time, it reappeared days later as an underpowered version/ imperfect carbon copy with limited spell power. I suppose there are various other ways you could do something like that with the story. Maybe a wizard started the process, but was killed before it was completed. Perhaps, a lich is killed and the phylactery could have been unknowingly carried off to a dead magic or wild magic zone. That could potentially impact the reanimation of the lich. As a DM, the rules can be bent to your will. Just be careful as you create such things, that they have a good story/reason and are appropriately powered.

Malruhn
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with creating rules for a new under-lich.

Let's say a 5th level sorcerer got a tome that described the process - and it clearly said you has to, gots to be at least 11th level - but he followed the directions anyway.

Okay, congrats - he's a lich... undead. But his abilities are stunted, and he's found that his spellcasting ability hasn't been able to improve since he died and walked again. Instead of the template on the SRD page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm), he only has natural armor of +2, his touch attack to paralyze has a -4 on the DC to save (so it's easier to shrug off), His fear aura only effects 1HD creatures vice 5HD creatures, and his DR is only 5/bludgeoning and magic - instead of 15.

The lich is yours... create him as you wish. He could possibly have something SERIOUS wrong with his undead status, and this has made him VERY upset and he subconsciously wants to die a permanent death - so he doesn't use his high INT to plot and scheme to destroy his opponents - he just wades in and tries to paralyze everyone...

OR - he may have screwed things up in the transformation, and since the rules say a spellcaster has to sleep for 8-hours to get their spell back - and liches can't SLEEP - he doesn't have any (or many) spells left.

There are LOTS of possibilities.

KimiAshinhurst
01-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Thank you so much guys. You've all been a huge help.

rabkala
02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Agreed with Malruhn! Good call.

Unlike 1e where a demi lich was somehow more powerful than a lich.

nijineko
02-13-2011, 11:53 PM
there are rules for a lich template which can be applied to under level sorts. just don't recall where off hand. it can be used as a trap to turn urstwhile adventures into sub-par liches guarding the thing they were trying to loot.

i think the idea of that demi is that it was supposed to be demi as in demi-god not demi as in part-lich.

tesral
02-18-2011, 02:14 AM
The demi-Lich was one of the less decent things to come out of Tomb of Horrors. My reaction to it was, this is just there to kill people, period. I never used it.

rabkala
02-20-2011, 06:32 PM
The Tomb of Horrors is just there to kill people, period.