PDA

View Full Version : Building a Doppleganger

q233
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
So I'm playing a game where I've decided to be a class levelled doppleganger. Races of Destiny has a level progression for a normal doppleganger but MM2 has an Ethereal Doppleganger and I'm not sure how to build a full class progession for it. The standard has 4HD and CR 3, which comes out to 8 class levels, and the Ethereal has 20HD with a CR 15. I'm not sure if I should try and crunch the full race into 20 levels or try and follow the book's 'progession' and push it to approximately 35 levels. Either way I was hoping to stretch the abilities so that they're not all at once when they're gained, like slowly progressing the DR and fast healing. Any advice would be good.

wizarddog
01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
The Ethereal Doppleganger is a 3.0 creature-as with all the monsters in MM2. You might need to convert its abilities to a 3.5 version before continuing. It might also have its CR lowered in the process.

Here is link to someone who did a savage progression for the monster: (It also includes the 3.5 update for the creature)

http://fallingstar.13.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=188

In my opinion, upon looking at the Ethereal Doppleganger, I find the monster utterly ridiculous. The powers it possesses are completely broken. If I was to recreate the creature, I would find powers that are similar in psionics or spells already in the rules.