PDA

View Full Version : Need a nick for my character

Xandros
01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I need a nickname for my character, which will be pretty much the name she goes by. She is a runt, very small for her species (human). I want something that notes that. I am thinking of naming her after a small animal. Something along the lines of Lynx or Badger, though neither of them really fit, you can get the idea of where I am going. She will be a monk/rogue. A nick that either notes her dangerous nature or is actually the opposite of how dangerous/tough she is would be good.

rabkala
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
The Lemming

-Because of their association with odd behavior, lemming suicide is a frequently used metaphor in reference to people who go along unquestioningly with popular opinion, with potentially dangerous or fatal consequences.

The Vole

- Voles are commonly mistaken for moles, gophers, mice, rats, and shrews. In fact, voles are unique and best described as being a little bit like all the other animals they are so commonly thought to be.

The Marten

- Martens are slender, agile, omnivorous animals related to wolverines, minks, and weasels.
The Finnish communications company Nokia derives its name, via the river Nokianvirta, from a type of marten locally known as the nokia.

Mongoose

- Mongooses are popularly used to fight and kill snakes. They can do this because of their agility and cunning, their thick coat, and mutations in their acetylcholine receptors which render them resistant or immune to snake venoms.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-05-2011, 12:01 AM
possom

Shrews: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052969/

Ferrets

Okay, that's all I got at the moment. Perhaps you can work with one of them, I dunno. Best of luck to you.

wizarddog
01-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Mouse

Rat

I think shrew as mentioned by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is the best. It has many literature significance (Taming of the Shrew comes to mind) and best describes small temperamental critter that is not afraid of much. Though I must admit, those characteristics fit a halfling pretty well...

tesral
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Knowing the Character's real name would be a help. The small not harmless animal category has pretty much been covered.

Size (Small as mentioned) Hair color, eye color, distinguishing features (other than female)? Any of that would be helpful.

rabkala
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Shrew has a negative conotation when applied females. I would avoid it.

Xandros
01-06-2011, 03:45 AM
Yeah due to the negative conotation of shrew I am avoiding that, especially for a female. She will not exactly be tempremental, mostly due to her monk training. She will be a small unassuming fairly quiet girl who many enemies may underestimate. I even considered mouse as a nick. It would represent the way people see her as meek, but would technically be an oposite nick in reality. I have not decided her real name. In many ways I feel that with the backstory and where I want to take this character, it doesn't really matter as much. She is from a dirt poor family (think mideivel white trash) and got thrown out, and lived off the streets. She is writing off that part of her young life and reinventing herself. Though if I decide on her nick I may make her real name something similiar, to make her nick a term that was originally used to pick on her. Ferret or mongoose are good choices as they fit her style pretty well in my opinion. Vole also could be interesting. Marten fits the theme, but sounds too much like Martin and I dont' want her to seem too manly. As for characteristics, hair color is dirty blonde and eyes blue/green. No other distinguishing features other than very short and very slender (malnourished as a child).

tesral
01-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Another of the mustiled clan, the weasel. A vole is a kind of mouse.

There is also shortening a nick even further. Mongoose for example could become "goose",

Slipstream
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
When I first read the post, I immediately thought of a lemming. I like the use of Lem for short.

EDIT: LOL forgot... Paizo beat me to it (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/bards/v5748dyo5la2j). Now I guess we found out how they came up with their iconic bard.

Xandros
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I like Lem as a name too. However with the image that the term lemming has with going with the crowd, I don't like that for this particular character. Same with Weasel, though that would make a good name if she were more weasely or conman type. So I think I am going to go with Ferret. Thanks for all the suggestions.

tesral
01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Have a good game.

Silverthorne
02-09-2011, 07:28 PM
bird names would probably be best for a female character. Wren, Kestrel, Woodlark..

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Shrew has a negative conotation when applied females. I would avoid it.

In the real world, it does. I never allow real world nonsense to enter into games. The name is a good one, Xandros, and something to think about with your group. Think on this: The idea of slavery bothers a certain race more than any other; should we avoid it so as to be sensitive? In the end, if you allow something offensive (from the real world) into the game, when does it stop? Yes, yes, I do realize the WotC is doing that now with the likes of half-orcs, and such; now they are a race unto themselves, and no longer considered the offspring from the spoils of war, so to speak. Truth be told, there are a great many things more "offensive" already included in gaming, this one is incredibly minor compared to a great many others. Just something to think about.

Xandros
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
But if you use a name like Shrew or Lemming then it will naturally cause an image of that character (conciously or subconciously) by myself or other players. Do I want to have a character that is thought of that way? Even unintentionally thinking of my character as a Lemming would affect the way I play that character and then they end up not the way I had envisioned them. There was an article in Dragon magazine sometime back about the pain of naming a character and then having someone find an unintended joke in it, and suddenly the character they were proud of is a joke. Names have a certain power. Can you imagine how popular Robert E. Howards creation were if he had been named Melvin the Barbarian. Sure in the real world Melvin is not considered a strong name. You can argue that in the fictional world it does not have the same conotation, but the readers, coming from the real world are still going to have that conotation. Playing is creating a story. The other stuff you talk about has to do with stuff that could be considered offensive, which has nothing to do with what I had to say. I was not avoiding the name Shrew because it might offend someone, but simply because it ruins the image or the feel of the character. In the end it just doesn't fit.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
No worries.

When I made the suggestion of "shrew," I was aware that it had both a negative, as well as an aggressive, nasty meaning - the latter meaning being the one I was trying to suggest.

Shrews can be a very nasty sort of creature (see link in post #3, though exaggerated), which fit well with what you were looking for, but since you admit you and your players may have some trouble with the power of the negative image over the nasty and aggressive image, then I whole-heartedly agree with you in that terms such as "shrew" should be left out of *your* game/s. Game on!

BTW, Did you ever come to a final decision on a nickname for the player in question?

Xandros
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes I went with Ferret. We've been playing for a while now and the game has been going really well. Sorry I take awhile to respond. Very busy lately.