PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit Holes: Low Impact Woodland Homes. Plans included for real life and for gaming purposes.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Hobbit Holes: Low Impact Woodland Homes. Plans included for real life and for gaming purposes.

Poll: You can make multiple choices!

http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm <-- LINK for thread/poll.

http://www.google.com/images?q=hobbit+house&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GPEA_enUS311&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1419&bih=727 <-- Link for google pics of other Hobbit Holes.

I use these plans whenever DM'ing games primarily with WFRP, and my dnd games.

What's really cool about the link to the Hobbit Hole site is that it lets one not only know that such buildings are reasonable and realistic; the plans can also be used in games whenever dealing with Hobbit Homes, or to a lesser degree, Gnome homes.

Fleeting thought: If I came into some bucks, and lived in the right locale, I'd have a Hobbit Hole, aka Low Woodland Home built. Within the link (see above) is another link that lists a site that specializes in the building of these types of houses. Enjoy browsing!

Thoughts or feelings? Feel free to share them.

tesral
01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
"Earth sheltered" I've considered the idea myself if I had the budget, and a reason to move. There are many advantages and few drawbacks. I like the house pictured in the first link. Cozy indeed.

They seem ideal in areas that cover most of North America. Storm resistance (Nothing is storm proof), well insulated, be it heat or cold you are escaping.

Drawbacks that I can see are; it isn't a great lowlands building style, floods would be a problem unless you mound earth up, and don't dig in. Sutations like my current home, a narrow subdivided lot. I don't have space for an earth mound unless the whole neighborhood was built that way. It is spendy in footprint.

I still like the idea. I wouldn't mind having more than ten feet between me and the house next door.

rabkala
01-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Me loves plump Hobbit women! I also would love to live there with my hobbit wife!

Together we would play a unique role-play game called clerks and cashiers set in modern times (during down time maybe french maids and Frodo) . It would be perfect!