PDA

View Full Version : Adjectives wanted, apply within

Utgardloki
12-28-2010, 06:27 PM
For my latest idea, I am working on a concept of having a random table of adjectives and nouns to describe worlds, and then I'll be able to randomly conjure a new world or plane by randomly choosing a random number of such adjectives. For example, the PCs could end up on an arctic oriental steampunk world where ninjas and samurai must dress against the extremely cold weather to do battle amid giant steam machines and the wizards who run them.

So I opened this thread to get ideas for adjectives that can describe a world. Of course, large numbers of adjectives can be generated by opening up a book and listing "Human-Dominated", "Elf-Dominated", "Dwarf-Dominated" etc etc. I am looking for less obvious descriptors such as "Archworld" (the world consists of arches of various sizes), Pangean (all the world's continents are jammed together into a supercontinent), and Cold War (the world is dominated by superpowers unwilling to challenge each other in an all out war).

My next post will have a list of adjectives that I came up with in a brainstorming session.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Some adjectives I've come up with so far:

Arctic, Gynocentric (women dominate the world), Androcentric (men dominate the world), Genocidal (Something has killed most of the women in the world), Androcidal (something has killed most of the men in the world), Steampunk, Crystal, Shadow, Fey, Aberrant, Labyrinthian, Subterranean, Archworld, Waterworld, Arid, Boreal, Post-Apocalyptic, Acidic, Aerial, Classical, Nordic, Oriental, Gothic, Horror, Tainted, Celestial, Metallic, Barren, Airless, Elemental, Half-Elemental, Hollow, Ringworld, Moebius, Klein Bottle, Warped, Toridal, Small, Large, Eclectic, Limited, Witchworld, Supers, Lunar, Pangean, Mezazoic, Permian, Prehistoric, Miocene, Cold War, Mosaic.

DMMike
12-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Chrono-warped, Earth-tree, and Festivus. Have fun!

cplmac
12-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Mist-laden: A heavy persistant fog covers the world/land. Reduces vision to no more than 15 to 20 feet in front of you. Basically nullifies special racial vision. Could even partially obscure vision distance from magical devices also.

nijineko
01-02-2011, 12:27 AM
sure that's not "myst-laden" ;D