PDA

View Full Version : UFOP: StarBase 118, a Star Trek PBEM RPG

unum
12-28-2010, 02:55 PM
We are a community of people who love writing and Star Trek. We've been together as a group since June of 1994 and have enjoyed years of simming under a highly trained command staff. Our group offers an extensive and complete training course upon acceptance that will acclimatize you to our rules and ways of simming. We also offer a very active forum, an online database to organize your character's information, and of course, a ship to suit your simming style. If you want to learn more, just head to our website and click on the "Prospective Members" link on our index page. We'd love to have you join our group. See you soon!

http://www.starbase118.net/ (http://www.starbase118.net/)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Hello and welcome to the pnpg boards, unum. Glad to have you here. Okay, checking out your link right...now!

Update: Oh, this is so very cool. Being a writer of sorts, as well as being VERY familiar with the Star Trek Universe, I signed up immediately.

unum
01-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Hello and welcome to the pnpg boards, unum. Glad to have you here. Okay, checking out your link right...now!

Update: Oh, this is so very cool. Being a writer of sorts, as well as being VERY familiar with the Star Trek Universe, I signed up immediately.

Awesome! We're glad to have you join us. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-09-2011, 10:49 AM
When does the next game begin? I can't wait to get started.

unum
01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
When does the next game begin? I can't wait to get started.

Once you have submitted an application through our website, someone in the Personnel Department normally contacts you within 48 hours, and if your application is approved, you are scheduled for the next Academy class. Academy classes normally start on Mondays and last for about one week. Depending on the day your application is received and processed, that can mean the upcoming Monday or the next Monday.

After you complete the Academy training, which teaches you about the formatting style of StarBase 118 sims, you will be assigned to a duty post on a ship. We always try to give you your first choice of duty assignment whether that's Medical, Tactical, Security, Ops, Science, Helmsman, Counselor, Engineering, Diplomat, Intelligence Officer, or Marine. There are specialty opportunities within each of those positions also. We do have one starbase, StarBase 118, if you are interested in a position mainly on a starbase. The starbase position allows for occasional missions on a ship assigned to the starbase. Each ship and the starbase participates in their own mission, which can last from one month to three months depending on the complexity of the mission. After each mission, the crew are given a shore leave for about two weeks in which the ship often travels to a fun location, like Risa, a deep space station, or anywhere else different from the mission, where each writer has the opportunity to expand on their character's personal life and personal relationships, conduct a research project, enjoy a holodeck adventure, or leave the ship to visit family on Earth or anywhere else, just to name a few. The captain of the ship often hosts a party for the crew with a fun and unique theme during a shore leave in addition to the things I mentioned above for character-building activities.

When you complete the Academy course, you are often assigned to a ship that is in the middle of a mission, but it's very easy to catch up with the progress of the mission through reading previous sims and through the help of your captain and mentor. You just jump right into the mission and begin helping to write the story that is new, and its beginning, middle, and end are written entirely by the crew with the guidance of the captain.

unum
04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Interview with Counselor Askade
By Alleran Tan

On every Starfleet vessel and installation a counselor is present to see to the mental well-being of the crew. The role of the counselor is a very important one and they are, in every way, a valuable member of the medical staff of a vessel- many of them hold medical degrees in addition to any other degrees (almost always psychology), although counselors with more esoteric qualifications are permitted to serve.
Today I present an interview with Counselor Askade, one of our new councilors in the fleet.
Counselor Askade serves on the USS Constitution-B. I asked Counselor Askade what she felt about the role of the counselor in the fleet and she said,
“Well, just being assigned to a ship, I can say that the job of a good counselor is to listen and then give thoughts on solutions to the problem.”
Can’t argue with that one. They say the secret to being a great conversationalist is to listen…
I asked her if she, as a writer, had a favourite “session”? Does her character? Are they different? She said,
“I have not had any just yet, so not at this time. All I can say is that I will do my best for my crew, and serve my Captain well.”
An interesting answer; we’ll just have to see how that plans out. Curious about her profession, I asked Counselor Askade what makes a good counciling session. She wrote,
“One thing is comfort. If there is any tension, it will not go well.”
Makes sense to me. She said further,
“I have one idea in mind, for a session, and that is to go on the holodeck, and do a combat session with some of the crew members, so they know that i will stand by them in any situation.”
The idea of a warrior-counselor is certainly an intriguing one! I, personally, would love to see that holographic combat session. I’m sure she’ll let me know if she does decide to write such a thing!
But back to the task at hand. I asked the good Counselor if she had any advice for councilors just starting out in the fleet and she said,
“Read the wiki bio’s, and Listen to them.”
Listening seems to be a continuing theme here, although as discussed earlier it’s a very important part of a Counselor’s job. After all, they are tasked with (amongst other things) the assessment of a crewman’s mental health. Listening is the best way to find out exactly how someone is doing… a life in space can be a distressing and challenging one.
I asked Askade if she had any other duties her character can perform. Her answer was very broad. She wrote,
“If need be I can multi-role, as a tactical officer, security officer, and combat medic.”
A very revealing answer about a very interesting character: a warrior and a healer. As a Klingon, her closing words were very appropriate. She said,
“Just one thing: honor your crew, and captain with everything you have.”
Thank you for your time, Askade; I hope your new post goes well!

The Star Trek adventure continues at http://www.starbase118.net/ (http://www.starbase118.net/).

unum
10-25-2011, 12:12 PM
An Interview with Michael Okuda

I can vividly remember my first Star Trek convention in the late 80s where James Doohan was one of the guest stars. Star Trek: The Next Generation was received by fans as a long-awaited return of the beloved world of Gene Roddenberry to television. Long before Amazon.com or any other online retailers, getting your hands on Star Trek memorabilia was a little more challenging than it is today. You could purchase the items at conventions or through catalogs, and for me, the convention I attended was the first time I’d seen a large manual with a beautiful cover and incredible illustrations inside. That book was titled Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual published by Pocket Books. I’d seen Michael Okuda’s name in the credits of The Next Generation episodes, but I’d never learned much about him. When I purchased the technical manual, my eyes were opened to the genius of Mr. Okuda’s vision of the future and to his major contributions to Star Trek.

As I read through the manual and saw Mr. Okuda’s name more and more over the years, it became apparent that he was a true pioneer. Along with his wife, Denise, they went on to write numerous Star Trek stories and serve as advisors for the subsequent television series Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise. More recently, Mr. Okuda has been involved with the remastering of the original series on DVD to enhance the special effects, as an advisor to the MMORPG Star Trek Online in its initial stages, and designing logos for NASA.

His most famous contributions to Star Trek include the graphical user interface for the LCARS computer system used on the Enterprise-D and other Starfleet vessels. In appreciation for his contributions in this area, the visual style of the LCARS was named “okudagrams”.

Want to learn more about Mr. Okuda and his memories of working on Star Trek? Read the Michael Okuda interview (http://www.starbase118.net/blog/2011/10/24/interview-with-michael-okuda/) at UFOP: Starbase 118.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Marcus Raiden
09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi all just a small update to say we are still around and post our up todate message.

Do your dreams lie in the stars? Do you have what it takes to rise through the ranks, leading your character from Cadet to Captain and beyond? Are you looking for the opportunity to tell the story of their journey and take your place in a dynamic and engaging universe populated by experienced SIMmers?

We offer the highest quality Star Trek role playing experience on the internet today while providing a friendly and welcoming online community. Our group was founded in 1994 and has been in continuous operation since then. We offer an extensive and complete training course upon acceptance that will help you get your feet wet and get you comfortable with our simming style. In addition, we have an active forum, an online database to organise your character's information, and several ships and stations that will suit your own personal SIMming speed. If you are 13 years of age and up, we'd love to have you join and become a part of our community. Check us out at http://www.starbase118.net (http://www.starbase118.net/)!

Marcus Raiden
10-01-2013, 04:00 AM
USS Apollo Monthly Report (August)
By Fleet Captain Jaxx

The USS Apollo, NCC-71669 departed Utopia Planitia after receiving some upgrades. Along with the Quantum Slipstream Drive, the ship was modified to house a small fighter wing. With shore leave in the Sol System wrapped up the crew of the Apollo headed back to the Typhon Sector, testing out their new propulsion system. The drive performed as expected and in no time, the ship arrived at the far end of the sector.
Upon exiting the slipstream, the Apollo picked up a unique energy signature originating from a nearby system. As the ship approached, the crew tried to determine what the strange signal was. Fleet Captain Andrus Jaxx dispatched an away team under the command of the newly minted First Officer, Lt. Commander Sundassa Faranster. After reaching the source of the signal, the team was surprised to encounter an Iconian Gateway.

Marcus Raiden
10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
SEPTEMBER PLOT SUMMARY FOR THE USS DISCOVERY (http://www.starbase118.net/blog/2013/10/05/september-plot-summary-for-the-uss-discovery/)OCTOBER 5, 2013
An away team including Captain Waltas and Commander Blueheart heads to the surface of the planet, Kjenta II but the highly ionized atmosphere of the planet renders all electronics nonfunctional and the Captain’€™s yacht USS Cook carrying the away team crashes. On the high-G planet surface, the team encounters some of the surviving crew of the Columbia (still alive due to the restorative properties of the planet) who have been sending out a distress signal via the trans-atmospheric, monofilament antenna, led by Dr Treng, Columbia’s former first officer. A confrontation between the Discovery away team and Dr Treng’s henchmen results in the death of Commodore Moretti and a pursuit into Treng’s heavily guarded underground command center. Aided by one of her former loyalists, Irina Pavlova, the team makes their way into the compound via an underground tunnel, where they are ambushed.
Meanwhile on board the Discovery, with no means of establishing communications with the away team, Lt Jorus Cogud, left in command, is conflicted between abandoning the team and leaving the planet to focus their attention on finding their way back to the Avalon sector, and staying behind to mount a rescue of the away team. For every moment they spend in this uncharted region of space, the higher the likelihood of encountering a hostile enemy. This leads to a heated debate amongst the crew with a potential mutiny brewing on the horizon.

Marcus Raiden
10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Former captain Mal Avatar has been spearheading a great deal of historical cataloging, and recently he put together some very interesting stats on commanding officers, which we wanted to share with you. Check out these great insights below:

The average commanding officer is in command for 1.92 years, with the median just 1.32 years.

Of course, there are some outliers. The record for length-of-time in the captain’s chair belongs to the following captains:
1. Hollis Calley who commanded the Kodiak-A, Kodiak-B, and Ursa Major for 7.98 years
2. Tyr Waltas who commanded Starbase 118 Operations, Discovery-B, and Discovery-C for 7.52 years (still active)
3. Jessa Anassasi who commanded USS Constitution-B, USS Phoenix-C, USS Independence, USS Independence-A for 6.63 years
4. Rocar Drawoh who commanded Duronis II Embassy, USS Constitution-B, Starbase 118 Operations, USS Eagle, USS Victory for 6.59 years
5. Sidney Riley who commanded USS Tiger, Starbase 118 Operations, USS Independence-A, USS Tiger-A who 5.39 years (still active)

Set your calendar, Captain Waltas! You’ll break Hollis’ record on March 8, 2391.

On average, it takes 3.24 years to get the captain’s chair with a median of 2.90 years.

Our quickest trip the captain’s chair (excluding community founders, acquisitions, and special situations):
1. Leigha Jacobs at just .53 years.
2. Hollis Calley at .91 years (plus he went directly from second officer to CO)
3. Jessa Anassasi at 1.06 years
4. Allen O’Malley at 1.18 years
5. Ka’el Laang at 1.25 years

Of the current COs:
1. Tallis Rhul/Diego Herrera had the fastest trip at 2.08 years
2. Della Vetri at 2.61 years
3. Kalianna Nicholotti at 2.70 years
4. Andrus Jaxx at 2.98 years
5. Tyr Waltas at 3.48 years

Then there are others who have taken their time to get to the big chair:
1. David Cody waited 14.50 years to take command (however, his tenure with the fleet was not contiguous)
2. Samuel Perkins waited 7.30 years to take command (contiguous tenure)
3. Samal Frazier waited 5.85 years,
4. Cura Assanti waited 4.94 years.
5. Francis deMarc waited 4.81 years.

2390 is an unprecedented year of captaincy retention. Not to jinx it, but we are almost 3/4 of the way through the year and no captain has resigned. That has NEVER happened in a calendar year. It has now been over 500 days since the last commanding officer stepped aside (Commander Unum) and that is a record.

2389 had three resignations, the aforementioned Unum, Tallis, and Kare’en. Tallis later returned as Herrera so that is a wash and Kare’en was a planned temporary transition.

By the way, the worst year for CO resignations was 2376 when 12 COs stepped down:

Elinor of Kanist (Continued on as other characters and in other roles)
Jeffrey Pelletier
Reginald LeCrisp
Jasen Rendary
Shaun Marlin (Continued in other capacities)
Maela Jolon
Sandolphan Aquiss
Curtis Arvanon
Colin McHendry
Leigha Jacobs
Alexander VonGrippen
Tristan Wolf (stepped down as CO of Daris Colony)
Also, it has been suggested that the commanding officer position of Starbase 118 Operations is a “command killer.” The data does not support that. The average commanding officer of anyone who has commanded the base has an average of 3.08 years as a CO, which is nearly a year longer than the average of 1.92 years.

Our current crop of COs has been in command for 3.12 years which is slightly longer than the average. The current COs by time in the chair:
1. Tyr Waltas: 7.52 years
2. Sidney Riley: 5.38 years
3. Toni Turner: 3.57 years (combines time spent as CO of Resolution, Ronin, and Embassy)
4. Andrus Jaxx: 2.97 years
5. Della Vetri: 2.61 years
6. William Rogers: 1.66 years
7. Kalianna Nicholotti: 1.63 years
8. Tallis Rhul/Diego Herrera: 1.45 years (combines time as both characters)
9. Lilly Ventu/Aron Kells: 1.25 years

Many thanks to Captain Avatar for putting this data together.

If you like to be part of this and try beat some of the records come to www.starbase118.net