PDA

View Full Version : Dresden Files

MortonStromgal
12-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Anyone else pick this up yet. WOW I mean WOW! I am impressed so far. I think it does nWOD better than nWOD. In a generic sense you have a couple types of vampires and werewolves plus changlings, hunters, mages, etc all as player character in a mixed group. Now they dont really have alot of options if everyone wants to be a vampires (2 different options really) but for mixed group play they nailed it. I'm also digging the FATE version tied to it.

Sascha
12-22-2010, 01:46 AM
We're a few months into our Dresden Files game here and enjoying it. I agree that it's better for urban fantasy/horror than the WoD, especially for my GM style, but I think that's largely because I feel the WoD doesn't do those things very well (except maybe Werewolf and possibly Changeling).

I'm not sure the lack of template variety in the supernatural sections (to use your example, vampires) is a strike against using Dresden for WoD, though. WoD vampires are basically the same, in the ways that identify them as "vampire" - a Dresden template analogue. The options are in Aspects, to some degree, and Stunts/Powers, to a greater degree.

MortonStromgal
12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Well for new WOD players I can throw them a book with Tremere, Toreador, Davea, whatever and they will all end up with different characters without toe stepping because the clans powers and write up tend to steer you a direction. Dresden Files if we are going to all be Vampires has no such built in guide. Theres a chance you could end up with very similar characters without talking it out as a group and taking different paths.

Sascha
12-23-2010, 08:25 AM
True, however that's where group character generation in FATE comes in. The process, as written, involves the other players already, so there's no reason they'd not talk about their characters.

It's more a matter of scope, though: Vampire is all about being a vampire, so it gives you lots of vampire-y options; Dresden is not, so it doesn't. Limiting a given campaign to one supernatural type in Dresden is a conscious decision and requires a bit more GM oversight than standard. The two game lines may share trappings, but their themes are pretty discrete.