PDA

View Full Version : Starting D&D

EimiArlinee
12-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Eimi and I'm new to tabletop games and roleplaying. I've read the 3.5 Players Handbook and I think I get the gist of it, but I'm not exactly sure how to start playing.

I mean, this is the first time I've even posted on a website.

I live in a french speaking area, so I can't really find other people to play with in person. I also tend to get sick a lot, so I can't go out with any real frequency.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Utgardloki
12-18-2010, 02:25 PM
My advice would be practice a bit by creating some characters and running them on some simple adventures.

If you can't get a hold of the 3.5 Monster Manual, the Pathfinder rules are close enough that you can pick up the Pathfinder Beastiary and it will be close enough. Soon you'll have the ability to create your own monsters as well, than there have been approximately 799,339,642.5 books published with Third Edition monster stats.

Also try to get a hold of some adventures. If you can't get third edition adventures, Pathfinder adventures will do, as the systems are very similar. (Pathfinder PCs are more powerful than Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 PCs of the same level.) If you can't find Pathfinder adventures, you can adapt any game system by replacing the challenges of that game system by Dungeons and Dragons challenges. You can run your created PCs through these adventures and see how the mechanics work.

It won't take long to learn enough to be able to translate everything you know into French and have it at.

If you have any questions, let us know.

DizzySaxophone
12-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I definitely think the above is a good post. Definitely get familiar with the rules. Then, since you said you can't get out much and stuff, I would strongly encourage trying to find an online game, hopefully one that uses skype for voice chat as that will be the closest you can get to playing in person. I play in a few games online and they really do work pretty well. I hope you have fun!

Lex
12-20-2010, 09:38 PM
When i was first introduced to D&D i spent a lot of time playing solo games by making up characters and running them through scenarios. It was a good way to learn stuff. Eventually you'll meet someone who knows about D&D and then you'll have a group!

nijineko
12-25-2010, 02:45 PM
i know that when i first started i spent countless hours reading over the rules, designing dungeons, maps, characters, and other things.

i would suggest that you start looking to pick up some online play by post games. especially if you can't get out much. the community here on pnpg is very friendly, and a great place to start. pbp games have a tendency to drop off after a while, but don't worry, if you are just trying to get your feet wet then it will be great for practice.

you are also welcome to ask questions. most everyone here will be happy to help out someone who is new. welcome! hope you like your stay here!

cigamnogard
01-01-2011, 03:12 AM
I would strongly encourage trying to find an online game, hopefully one that uses skype for voice chat as that will be the closest you can get to playing in person. I play in a few games online and they really do work pretty well. I hope you have fun!

Agreed! Try one of the many PbP [play by post] on this site!

rabkala
01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Find a couple people and force them to play! If one refuses, vow the downfall and suffering of this simpleton. His destruction will ensure your games reign. Let the others watch, establish a pecking order among the survivors, let the infighting devolve into chaos. Soon, none will deny your game. They will beg for the sweet release and escape your game provides!!!!

RannXerox
02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Even though D&D is a tabletop game it does not mean you have to be around the same table. I played with some guys from this forum about a year ago and we used Ventrilo (Skype like conference software) and MapTool which allows you all to share a map grid with your own game pieces. All the guys lived across the country but I felt almost as if I was playing in the same room with them.

Dolanar
02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
I will suggest anyone interested in joining an online game check out the boards here, or check out the chat rooms here on P&PG, there are a number of players & DM's for a variety of systems that frequent the rooms & you can usually spot a game or 2, always worth checking out.

Silverthorne
02-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Knowing I might get flamed for this. You might also try other gaming sites. Mythweavers is a good one. They have more games running over there. Sign up on the list of interested players here. You may not be able to get out, but if there is a group nearby, they might be able to come over and play. There is also the possibilty of one or more of them willing to come and show you the ropes.

azrael
02-11-2011, 03:48 AM
the Posts here already explain a lot of good ideas. I personally only use mythweavers for an online character sheet, it is best to understand the system. It is also a good idea to stay away from Wizard from what I understand it is the most difficult class to start off playing. 1st or low level area campaigns and people already said it here, Skype and Maptool are great tools. A general interest in the genre doesn't hurt either. Homeland R.A. Salvatore is a good start. Sword of Shanara is also a good fantasy book. Conan and holy grail are good starts as well.

tesral
02-18-2011, 02:12 AM
So far good advice. Take it from me, diving into the DM slot if you have never played is daunting. I didn't know it was impossible when I did it. Well not impossible, but not easy. You are bound to trip all over the system.

Get some play experience under your belt. Use play by chat or play by post if you have to. The place is full of games.

MINI
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
As an alternative to Play by Post you can find games online that run in realtime. Check out OpenRPG which is a free game table for running and playing online games. Several servers are running 24/7 and each typically has forums to help people find games.

Lex
02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Wow, you are a long long ways from anywhere. There are a bunch of Meetup groups in Montreal. (meetup.com)