PDA

View Full Version : The Wish List

gdmcbride
03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Let us speak now of dreams. What is your dream RPG product? What is the thing that if you stepped into your FLGS would make you go immediately, "whoa. I must own this." It doesn't have to be fantasy or D&D specific. It doesn't have to be practical. The only requirement is that the reason it wows you is content. In other words, I am disallowing answers like 'Every D&D book for a buck.' The wow there is not content but price.

I'll start. My dream would be a fantasy adventure module of 'Red Hand of Doom' level quality packaged with every miniature and battle map necessary to play it. You pick it up and you are good to go.

Any others? Do I dream alone?

Gary

Farcaster
03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd love to get my hands on the 5-box D&D series of yesteryear. It kills me that I didn't keep those.

gdmcbride
03-24-2007, 05:23 AM
I'd love to get my hands on the 5-box D&D series of yesteryear. It kills me that I didn't keep those.

Do you mean the basic, expert, companion, masters and immortal box sets? Dude...you should pickup the Rules Cyclopedia. It compiles, clarifies and completes all the rules (save for some of the immortal) from those five boxsets into one hardback. You can find it on ebay or even in used book stores once in a while.

Gary

Ed Zachary
03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Let us speak now of dreams. What is your dream RPG product? What is the thing that if you stepped into your FLGS would make you go immediately, "whoa. I must own this." It doesn't have to be fantasy or D&D specific. It doesn't have to be practical. The only requirement is that the reason it wows you is content. In other words, I am disallowing answers like 'Every D&D book for a buck.' The wow there is not content but price.

I could easily walk into any store and spend $500 or more on books and modules.

The product I would like is internet access to all WotC D&D material, in text format easy to cut and paste from, with a good search function across books for class, race, skills, monsters that reside in swamps, etc. I would price it at $500 up front plus a $50 yearly maintenance fee. Perhaps for another $100 each, you could also get access to everything on Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc. That way I wouldn't be concerned about my investment becoming obsolete with the next edition.

I like to support local stores, even though I can buy books cheaper at Amazon and other gargantuan discount outlets.

fmitchell
03-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Pre-painted Dalek miniatures, in 25mm scale.

Whatever weird home-brew idea I have fully worked out by somebody else. Although my reaction would probably be, "whoa, they're spying on my brain with rays."

The official FATE 3.0 rule set. (In a FLGS? Hah!)

An OGL science fiction game not based on d20 Modern ... ideally classless and level-less. Something like an updated Traveller.

RealmsDM
03-24-2007, 12:09 PM
non random, non collectible pre-painted minis... including "battle groups" of say a dozen various orcs or drow.

and as a Forgotten Realms fan... a annual addition to the campaign setting updating all information to pull together all the new events in canon material; such as from novels.

3.5 versions of the classic modules... and I don't mean crappy re-hashes like the god awful Tomb of Horrors remake that WotC posted on their website.. :mad: .. Acererak was a proto- demilich, and the suggested level range for the module was 11th... WTF is a proto-demilick... *yack:mad:

Farcaster
03-24-2007, 01:15 PM
non random, non collectible pre-painted minis... including "battle groups" of say a dozen various orcs or drow.

ooooh! Yeah, that one! I want that one too!

gdmcbride
03-24-2007, 05:03 PM

Reaper has answered your wish. The Legendary Encounters line of prepainted plastics will be released in June, according to the website. Orcs are in the first wave, but no drow yet. Three identical orcs will costs you $6.99 or you can buy them individually for $2.49.

Gary

fmitchell
03-24-2007, 07:09 PM
The Legendary Encounters line of prepainted plastics will be released in June, according to the website. Orcs are in the first wave, but no drow yet. Three identical orcs will costs you $6.99 or you can buy them individually for $2.49.

Any Daleks?

No, but seriously, are there any links or photos?

gdmcbride
03-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Any Daleks?

No, but seriously, are there any links or photos?

No daleks and no photos yet, but supposedly they are coming.

The photos ... I mean.

Gary

Ed Zachary
03-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm curious... I've never owned a miniature in my life, and I've played D&D for over 20 years.

What do they add to the game?

PhishStyx
03-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm curious... I've never owned a miniature in my life, and I've played D&D for over 20 years.

I've long had this very same question.

QumullusTheNimblest
03-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Wow. You guys just gave me a brain-tumor! Never asked myself THAT!?
Just posed it to 2 of my players, who sit there looking at me dumbstruck, saying, "Uhhhhhhhh..."

Thousands of dollars invested in what!?!?
Still, the Colossal Dragon still kicks ass. (and, no, it has not found it's way into our game yet... SO!?!? ...looks nice...)

spotlight
03-25-2007, 03:26 PM
WOW Guys, I've had the 'investment in minutures before. I gave it upover twenty years ago infavor of my triumphant LEGO tackle box. just the right size for those 26 mm game flats (hex sheets). And so the world turns.

gurusloth
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Minis can be fun, if used properly. Some people respond more favorably to a visual aide when playing a character, and occasionally even reconfigure some of their choices in the character creation process in order to more closely match with a cool looking mini that they've just found/purchased.

Also, if you are playing a more regimented, combat-oriented game (such as D&D), minis can be very fun when conducting battles, and for some players, it forces them to make definite decisions regarding character placement for area effects and the like, rather than just having them say "I'm over by the door" and then when the fireball goes off, they try to retro-actively tweak their location in order to avoid it's effect.

There's plenty of games that minis probably don't really make sense for, if the combat is downplayed or is very abstracted. But it's nice to have something to look at sometimes, it makes it more 'real' for many people.

gdmcbride
03-26-2007, 01:33 AM

Behold the Hall of the Snake King. These images are humbly stolen from the forums at dwarvenforge.com from a setup created by Mike aka Invincible Overlord. I believe one glance reveals exactly what miniatures can add to the game.

Gary

Farcaster
03-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Behold the Hall of the Snake King...I believe one glance reveals exactly what miniatures can add to the game.

Those pictures are simply stunning! Wow!

I guess you probably wouldn't want to show up to that game with an unpainted pewter mini, huh?

CAD
03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Farcaster if you simply want the Mystara D&D boxed sets for reference (without the physical copies) you can purchase them on PDF for like $4-$5 each at RPG Shop/En-World. You'll also be able to find the Rules Cyclopedia, Gazatteer's, Modules, etc. The same holds true for 1st and 2nd edition materials too. Sometimes it's better than having these things collect dust on our bookshelves!

I've purchased alot of the earlier materials this way, but I also purchase things on e-bay too and then scan them using my OCR. Once they're on my computer I resell them on e-bay, and it didn't cost me a thing!

Ed Zachary
03-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I guess you probably wouldn't want to show up to that game with an unpainted pewter mini, huh?

We used mostly chess pieces, bottle caps, and extra dice.

If that wasn't good enough, that wouldn't be the game for me.

Skunkape
03-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I try to make sure I use something to represent the terrain, the characters and the NPCs any time we have a combat encounter. I've found that the loss of playtime that it takes to set up/move the figures is far outweighted by the tactical benefits it gives the players by being able to see where everyone/everything is!

It's even helped reduce arguements as to where people are and how far they or their enemies can move.

I currently have a large collection of DnD minis, metal minis, cardstock terrain and am currently building a large collection of HirstArts plaster terrain. Yeah, it takes me a while to get pieces completed, cardstock takes much less time, but it still does take time. It also can cost quite a bit of money, but building the terrain is also a hobby but I'm a plastic model/model railroader as well, so I enjoy doing it!

But if you're good with bottle caps or pennies or dice to represent the PCs & NPCs, that's fine too! I'm all for using minis during combat and most people I've introduced to minis like the idea of using them after they see how easily you can integrate them into the game. Granted, it's not for everyone, and that's why I say most people and not all people, but it can be a really fun addition to gaming!

Zorastor
07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
The whole topic switch to "what minis add to the game" realy got me thinking! ouch that hurts..
One thing..they cost a lot. to have a mini for every npc and mob in my game would be crazzy..and then I wouldnt use them again or rarely. And I would need new ones for all the new monsters comming out..And the tiles and props..
What we do in our game is. everyone has their own personal detailed fiqure. All the monsters and NPCs we use a figure from a huge bage of undead I bought theres like 50 in there..all clear. And for tiles..wizards.com man..download them and boom cheep beautiful tiles..

shilar
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm going to get this topic back on topic while sticking to the revised topic. Two words customizable minis. Basically a bag of legs one of arms and one of torsos and heads. Basically snap together what looks best and go to town.

PhishStyx
07-08-2007, 11:48 PM
A spy rpg that deals more with people than their stuff.
Conspiracy X comes as close as any game I've ever seen, and Shadowrun is pretty good at pushing players at dealing with the people around them, but even they don't go as far as I'd like in discussing how to create a long term, living, breathing, 3-dimensional background of seedy, somewhat vicious, secondary characters.

For example, Shadowrun 2nd had a basic rule about estimating a character's street rep based on his total accumulated Karma points, and it gave a general sort of idea of what people thought of him (or her, of course). But it doesn't hold up against the moment in Firefly when the crew first meet Niska, and their very first impression of him is that he's torturing someone. As he, himself, says, "now for you, my reputation is solid, yes?"

Seedy, vicious, alive.

The Wandering Bard
07-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I would love core books that compile all the common items. An example would be

An updated spell compendium (with every spell from all the books.)

A class book (that includes all the classes and prestige classes)

A book for all the alternitive races (like races of stone,wild,divine, but with things like half-dragons, hobgoblins, and kobolds. All in one book.)

A mass equipment book. (like arms and equipment, but with every item availible in any campagn in it.)

thats what I would like to see.

Moritz
07-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Even though I have over 200 mini's. I wish they'd break up those box sets and sell them individually.

Argent
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
As I am currently faced with the probability of moving cities in the next while (more accurately, from a city to a small [pop. 4000] town), I would like to see a "D&D group starter kit". It would include a set of the core books, four PHB (in whatever format), dice for five people, etc; all the things you need to start playing. But in addition, it would have things like graphics to help design advertising posters (Looking for Group/Looking to Start Group), a list of sites (like this one) where a person could go looking for players, some ideas on how to introduce people to the game... really, anything that might be helpful in starting a D&D group from scratch. Because I'm probably going to have to. :cool:

Karui_Kage
07-23-2007, 05:59 PM
In the same vein of what someone suggested earlier, I'd like more modules that came with all the minis mentioned as encounters in the module, for a better price then buying them all individually would be.

On the higher end, I'd like one of those Microsoft touch tables, only modified for DnD use. Place a mini on the table, stats for it pop up. Place a character sheet, editable HP/stats come up, even when the sheet is removed. Maps can be brought up by flashing a card, sound effects can play, initiative can be kept track of....*gah*

Moritz
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Karui_Kage, you actually have gotten your first wish. I've seen said modules with specific creatures added in the bundle. It may not be yet in your comic store, but it's out there.

Karui_Kage
07-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Paizo needs to start doing the same :D It's their APs I really wish came with minis.

RealmsDM
07-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Anything one this wish list thread that we as a WHOLE can piece together ourselves? I like picking a topic & just rolling with it; everyone ad their own spin on it.....

Any ideas? Some could be creating a spell, a monster, a NPC, a location, etc....

TheOtherMonica
07-24-2007, 01:32 AM
If wishes were fishes...

I want a book that smoothly combines Iron Heroes with Arcana Evolved. :P

I second the desire for snap-together minis.

Moritz
07-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Anything one this wish list thread that we as a WHOLE can piece together ourselves? I like picking a topic & just rolling with it; everyone ad their own spin on it.....

Any ideas? Some could be creating a spell, a monster, a NPC, a location, etc....

Not entirely sure what you're wanting RealmsDM, could you elaborate with an example? Or just start off the new thread yourself.