PDA

View Full Version : DM / Player Tools Medieval/Fantasy Measurements PDF

jpatterson
12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I'll be adding more to it, clarifying things, etc., but for now, I'm making this available, to see if it's useful to people, and what anyone thinks. Enjoy!

http://www.zanysite.com/files/downloads/ttrpg/jpmedievalmeasurements.pdf

Utgardloki
12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
This looks like something you can get on Wikipedia if you look up units of measure such as a "chain" or a "rod".

jpatterson
12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
some of it came from there, but it didn't have nearly the scope. You'd be surprised at how many sites I actually had to go to, over the span of a number of days, to compile all this, especially with the area and such, as measurements changed over the years, with old acres being 520x52 feet instead of 66x660 like now (because the rod and chain and furlong lengths were different). Also an amos is a hard measurement to track down, heh. But I'll be adding to this and updating it from time to time, increasing the size, and adding land types and resources like different types of vegetation and minerals and animals, gems, more info on camping maybe, town and area generation, etc.

cplmac
12-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for providing this for us here at P&PG jpatterson. Now I don't have to spend time searching several different sites and can just get what I am looking for through your link.

jpatterson
12-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Certainly, I see some things I need to change and update on it, which I'll do at some point. I enjoy doing things like this, so I might as well share it and let other people get some use out of it.

tesral
12-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Mainly length here I note. You also have volume and weight. How often do you hear such terms as the bushel or peck used? A dram or piggon?

Simply using the standard English measure gives things a nice mediveal feel as most of them date from before the Conquest. The foot famously being the foot of Edward Longshankes. Which is why the foote is twelve inches.

An Inch is the length of three barely corns. Why? Feast or famine the barely corn is a consistent size.

A rod at one point was the measure of the feet of the first sixteen men to come to Easter mass.

The farquart is the distance at which sheep are no long picturesque.

Leagues came is several measures, the Roman, the French are two I remember off hand. The Roman pace was two steps. Right foot front to right foot front. The League was 1000 paces.

Last a note of caution. While interesting terms of measure are fun, usually it is best to stick with things your players understand.

jpatterson
12-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Hey thanks Tesral. Yes I'm going to be adding weights and other measures. With your permission, I'd like to paraphrase what you've said here in your post and add it to the document, and give you credit if you'd like, with whatever name you'd prefer, and I'll be posting this as a creative commons document ultimately.

tesral
12-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Sure go ahead. Proper name is Garry Stahl. I prefer that used in credits.