PDA

View Full Version : Best world locations for zombie apocalypse?

Soft Serve
11-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Been wanting to set a zombie game in this weird...real life planet thing I think it's called?

Anyway, where would you stick confused people with zombies and give them the ok-go?

Been thinking Russian mountains, Pacific Islands, and Permanent bases in Antarctica. But if you have better ideas tell me so I can shamelessly steal them. :D

Foolamancer
11-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Your hometown.

No, seriously. You've got a ready-made setting which you are already familiar with right at your fingertips, complete with friends and family that you can throw at the players (in zombified form, of course).

Failing that, small-town America, or some Southern plantation house far from the nearest town. Malls are also cool, if a little cliched.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Foolamancer is right. Use your hometown. Besides, nothing makes a game more enjoyable than when you describe neighbors as some of the zombies.

Soft Serve
11-24-2010, 03:32 PM
I want to run this game online, but with some local players in it. So at best it is applicable, but I wouldn't want to ostracize other participants by saying "You know the hill by the Dollar General? They're down there just picture that." where only a few people would get it.

Thank you though it is a good idea and if I do run an IRL game I'll use it.

rabkala
11-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Is any one watching the Walking Dead on AMC? Awesome show, the human interaction is what sells the show! Use any nearby metropolitan are that people can relate to... the rest will come. Don't go hometown, just near town. Just enough for passing familiarity, but not enough for full scale ownership. Then sell it with human drama. I really love the zombie thing, especially slow ZOMBIES.

Soft Serve
11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Is any one watching the Walking Dead on AMC? Awesome show, the human interaction is what sells the show! Use any nearby metropolitan are that people can relate to... the rest will come. Don't go hometown, just near town. Just enough for passing familiarity, but not enough for full scale ownership. Then sell it with human drama. I really love the zombie thing, especially slow ZOMBIES.

Yeah. My only problems with it are the face make-up is sometimes under done, and the thing with the whole "Zombie scent cover" seems like it wouldn't work, but if it did %100 of the time, it would make for a pretty boring easy-out. "Hundreds of them? Everyone slather on some dead guy and lets pack up."

Other than that it's a good show.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
I watched episode 1. It was okay.

Soft Serve
11-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Almost at the end of the season for that show. One left at the time of this post, and so far 1 and 4 have been my favorite.

Skunkape
12-01-2010, 07:58 AM
After seeing the last show, it's obvious to anyone who has read the comic that they're not following that story line exactly. I'm fine with that because it keeps the show unpredictable and I like it so far. I'd feel a little cheated if they were following the comic exactly, after all, I've been reading it from the beginning and really don't need them to retell it via TV!:biggrin:

Back to the topic, I'd say basing your campaign around an area that people are familiar with makes for an interesting game. More importantly, it allows for the GM to have psychological impact when the players run into a zombified next door neighbor!

Soft Serve
12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
One of our neighbors is a freemason. I can't in good faith have an apoplectic game without blaming the Freemasons. So he would probably get away from the zombies in his super underground bullet train that runs off of baby panda tears.

Malruhn
12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
HEY! How'd you know about the super underground bullet-train?? Just stay where you are... the black van will be pulling up outside your house in a few moments.

(sorry, I"ve been a Freemason for years!)

Why us? It would make as much sense to blame an organized religion OR even more sense to blame a ginormous business (one that owns several media outlets!!).

Oh, and it isn't baby panda tears. It's the pained squeals of kittens and puppies. If you're gonna spill our secrets, at least get them right!!

Skunkape
12-03-2010, 08:11 AM
HEY! How'd you know about the super underground bullet-train?? Just stay where you are... the black van will be pulling up outside your house in a few moments.

Shhhh, you weren't supposed to inform him that the van was on it's way!:lol:

Soft Serve
12-03-2010, 11:44 AM

(sorry, I"ve been a Freemason for years!)

Why us? It would make as much sense to blame an organized religion OR even more sense to blame a ginormous business (one that owns several media outlets!!).

Oh, and it isn't baby panda tears. It's the pained squeals of kittens and puppies. If you're gonna spill our secrets, at least get them right!!

Because I know enough about the Freemasons. How they started, why they are the organization that they are. I know about the lowly little clubs where it's really just a bunch of guys drinking... And then I know about the ones in Scotland where they do have the high ranking officials and deal in some crazy rituals. I don't mean they kill people or control the world, but I know that there are a lot of robes and swords involved.

Just an organization I got really interested in at one point, and they're just ominous enough to blame.

Shhhh, you weren't supposed to inform him that the van was on it's way!:lol:

Now I'm suspicious...

rabkala
12-04-2010, 01:12 AM
At this moment the Knights Templar are heading to your domicile to eradicate the unfaithful. Repent now!!!! :laugh:

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Watch their call sign "The 300 (+7)" is a sign of the masons rebellion! Evil incarnate... They will destroy you! God have mercy on your soul.

Soft Serve
12-10-2010, 04:33 PM
At this moment the Knights Templar are heading to your domicile to eradicate the unfaithful. Repent now!!!! :laugh:

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Watch their call sign "The 300 (+7)" is a sign of the masons rebellion! Evil incarnate... They will destroy you! God have mercy on your soul.

The 300 + 7 came from the April Fools day attempt at breaking the "Most users online" record. Which was my idea. Have I been a part of this evil organization the whole time?!?!

Malruhn
12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Because I know enough about the Freemasons. How they started, why they are the organization that they are. I know about the lowly little clubs where it's really just a bunch of guys drinking... And then I know about the ones in Scotland where they do have the high ranking officials and deal in some crazy rituals. I don't mean they kill people or control the world, but I know that there are a lot of robes and swords involved.

Just an organization I got really interested in at one point, and they're just ominous enough to blame.
If you know how we were formed, then you know more than ALL the Freemasons. There are some good STORIES, and some anecdotal evidence, but past that it's nothing more than a Dan Brown novel!!

And the Lodges in Scotland are just like the Lodges in the US - just with more Scotsmen in them. When we're all dolled up, there are several people with swords and during some of the rituals, some/most of us (depends on how many folks are at the meeting!) are dressed in robes.

If you really want an ominous group to blame, I'd be looking at the Girl Scouts... damned cookie mafia...