PDA

View Full Version : Gurps timeshifters

kavnir
11-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Helloooooo Nurse!
People of all backgrounds uniting under unforeseen circumstance, with the objective of _______ their __________. Suspiciously enough there are ump-teen baddies out to stop them from doing so! With that in mind, they also have to develop and evolve efficiently enough to overcome all the _______ in time. Who knows what'll happen next! (or before)

"Timeshifters GURPS a la Ed" is going to immerse you in an ever-changing environment where adaptability will trump stat efficiency. Gameplay will be role-playing oriented with NPC's of all demeanor. Good role-players will be rewarded and poor ones will be expected to contribute to the comic effect of the environment by being absurd.

I expect players to be modern-minded and realistic at base character level of 100 points. After that, we'll see! Campaign opener will have to be the weekend after Thanksgiving weekend (December what-not). Submit character info openly in this thread or PM me for things that need to be kept hidden for gameplay purposes.
A detailed background will create more depth and allow me to help mould your character's path the way you want. Be aware that GURPS is level-less but skills can be purchased if opportunity for training is possible and role-played. 2 bonus points will be awarded for journal writing between sessions to reflect character POV experience.

Nick__C
11-16-2010, 02:41 PM
the journal idea is pretty cool. I like the idea of starting a blog about my character and doing the journal there. That way all the world will know how awesome he is :-D

Nick__C
11-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm definitely game for Saturday. I ordered the books on ebay. I also got a book called "GURPS for dummies" free with it. See you in a few days!

eridcat
11-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Hello. This is Berta!
Here is my background for my character:

I am Lari Davv. I am a 32 year old single female, looking for some dough nuts, and possibly a man. I am on my way back to the states from Honduras where I was a doctor/scientist without borders for several months. There, I encountered many dangerous obstacles: encountered thieves, scalawags, and animal attacks. Luckily, I had trained in karate a few years back and kicked their asses. I also did my research in Honduras on the new parasite that has emerged there, which the locals call, Zombila .The main reason why I went to Honduras was to provide a service which was encouraged by a presentation. It was a presentation given by one of my professors back in med-school. There were so many slides of the poor in the country, especially children with diseases. It gave me an urge to fight....illness that is. After this service, I feel accomplished. Now, I am on the plane about to read a novel, Pandemic by Daniel Kalla ; however, I cannot stop pondering on what I am going to eat first when I arrive home.

tinman674
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM
THE STORY OF DERRICK MCKAY
Derrick was born into a small, hard working family. He never had much growing up besides the roof over his head and food on the table. His father worked in a factory downtown and his mother stayed home and took care of him and his younger brother Jake. Derrick and his brother got along fairly well except for the occasional brotherly squabble. Their lives together were short lived however, when, at the age of 3 Jake was in a horrible accident and died shortly after. Apart of Derrick also died that day leaving him feeling alone and depressed. As the years went on Derrick’s father, who tried to cope with Jakes death with alcohol, lost his job because of his dependency. On a day like any other Derricks mother decided she had enough of her husband’s drinking and decided to confront him. This only ended badly as she was beat by her husband. The abuse went on for some years and about the time Derrick turned 14 it stopped. Enraged by the bottled up anger of his lost brother, and his father’s drinking, stepped in to defend his mother. Taking a bat to his father, he beat dad to death right in front of his mother. He would spend the next 3-4 years in a correctional center. There he would see behavior counselors, psychiatrists, and doctors alike till he was released back into his mothers care. Life with her wasn’t easy as he picked up drinking at an early age. Yelling and screaming between him and his mother became there only form of communication and when he was tired of that he had his drums in the garage. The doctors said he needed a way to vent his anger and this was a good way for him to do it. At 23 he moved out with his girlfriend of 2 years named Sara. She brought her dog along, which he was more than happy to have. He often thought there bond was stronger than his and Sara’s. He barely spoke to his mother and that was fine with him. Derrick was set in his routine and did not need anything to change, for better or worse. Things, in his eyes, were as good as it was going to get and he was content with that.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

saturday is good for me and angie will be there too

kavnir
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Nick, I'm lookin for some good back story out of you(why when who kinda stuff) thanks

Nick__C
12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Not gonna make it tomorrow...I'm coughing and sneezing all over the place. Lots of Nyquil and bed for me.

Sorry guys...

metallicpumpkin
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
This is Angie!

Here is the background on my character:

My name is Natalia Sterling, I'm 20 years old and I reside in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have been in gymnastics since the age of 2 and I have been in karate for the last 10 years. I am kind of hard of hearing so when you speak to me you will have to talk a little bit louder than normal. I received this abnormality from one of my competitions in karate. I would also like to mention that I have a fear of spiders. Sad I know but it stems from when I went camping in the wilderness when I was a little girl (in Southern Colorado) and a spider bite me. The pain was unbearable for 5 minutes but it was enough to instill fear in me for the rest of my life. Since I have had the wilderness in my backyard (with living in Colorado and all), I have a keen sense of how to take care of animals whether they are wild or domestic. Lastly, I have to mention that I am not a raving beauty, in all honesty, I was not blessed with the good genes. I must end this "about me" section because I have to practice for my floor routine for my sectionals!

kavnir
12-04-2010, 11:43 PM
So today was a bit disappointing, but somewhat expected due to the sudden inclement weather. I cancelled the game as only 3 out of 5 players could make it. I want to hear from you guys whether the 11th would be good for everybody at noon. That would allow for a possible session the 18th but then probably nothing til January. I want to get some momentum going in this campaign to retain interest all around. Thanks for any updates!

eridcat
12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey B******

Game has to be this Saturday, the 11th I work the following sat. So please make it!

Sun_Snuff
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey guys sorry it took me so long to get on here, pretty much chaos around the homestead right now. Heres my characters background in narrative format.

"Ok, agents, we have news today. It seems the impenetrable Salazar cartel has a chink in its armor. Our undercover operatives tell us that there is a faction breaking off and starting a coup soon, under the first lieutenant Hector Ramirez. Operatives in Ramirez's tight inner circle say that the shit is hitting the fan soon. Put this man's face deep in those memory banks, because your job is to find him and bring him in. He is on the short side but don't underestimate him, hes not on the top level of an extrememly dangerous criminal organiztion because of his tasty brownies, which our deep agents assure me are fantastic. Ramirez should be entering US soil soon to meet with the Cartel's American side of the business. That is where you apprehend him. Good hunting, agents."

Looks like we got a good assembly of characters to make this a pretty crazy game.

I am stuck on the 18th for a family xmas party but ill be here saturday 11th unless my wife goes into labor.

Also in the future i might be stuck on saturday mornings, unless i can get my brother to babysit milos gonna tie me down then.

Nick__C
12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Here's the backstory for Fr. Jonathan Edwards, told in the third person.

Fr. Jonathan had grown slowly more bitter throughout his life. Although his faith taught him about the sanctity of human life, he couldn't help but wonder how something so sacred could act so vile. Despite this, he never once doubted God's presence in the world. In fact, he ultimately came to the conclusion that he had a special role in God's divine plan to rid the world of evil.

After years of watching society deteriorate around him, Fr. Jonathan snapped. Waking up early one Sunday morning, he noticed that there were far more cars in the parking lot at the strip club down the street than there ever were at his church for mass. Enraged, he waited until the day when the place would be closed. This building must be cleansed with fire.

He broke in and planned on the place being empty. Grabbing from their ample stock of liquor, he doused the area and was just about strike a match when he heard some moaning from an office in back. Inside, a man and a woman were having sex. "Your sins will not be forgiven," he muttered, barricading the door with whatever he could find. As he set the place ablaze, he did not think about how they would suffer in their personal burning inferno. A greater inferno awaited them.

This was the first, but not the last time Fr Jonathan would use cleansing fire. He soon renounced his priestly vows, because his Church had grown too soft--too accepting of sin. His life's mission now was to seek out evil and vanquish it, and only God would stop him.

Nick__C
12-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi guys, it was fun today. This is a great campaign with a lot of mystery to it.

Here's a description of the original Jonathan Edwards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Edwards_(theologian)

And also, I will be on my winter break from 12/18/2010 to 1/1/2011. I won't be able to play every single day, but I'm definitely free to hang out a few days or if anyone wants to get an Axis and Allies game going or something else like that.

EDIT: I looked up the pronunciation of shuriken. Ever since I was a boy, I pronounced it shu-REEK-en, kind of like the word "eureka"--which is wrong. It's actually SHURE-i-ken, kind of rhyming with "hurricane." And we're all smarter because of it.

kavnir
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
First, I'd like to thank everybody for coming out and playing out their roles so well. Without adding or deducting any real bonuses for mission completion, I'd like to award you all a single character point to spend on a skill you currently possess. hooray!

A special acknowledgement to the young ladies in the group for commendable role-playing.

If we're all interested in seeing another session before January, post when you may be available on a weeknight or other weekend times. I will need a few days to write but I'm certainly up to it.

Also thanks for coming through on the books, Nick. Big score!

Cass and Guy...you both suck...just kidding...no, I'm not...keep showin up anyway, though. I have more random tests for Guy to fail.

Nick__C
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty much universally available from 12/18 to 1/2. I can even play on Christmas Day. 12/22 I have something scheduled during the day and New Years Eve the wife and I are going out.

tinman674
12-14-2010, 11:27 PM
of course holidays are out but im a yes for any other day

eridcat
12-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Hey is this Sunday good for everyone at 1pm? Can be earlier if necessary.

Nick__C
12-16-2010, 10:06 AM
I can do it Sun at 1 if everyone else can.

Sun_Snuff
12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
leme make sure with my wife, but i think sunday should be cool.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Thanks Ed for hosting the game and putting time into the story, shows you know whats going on in your little world. Good job everyone, actually got alot done in one session, definitely one of the most productive sessions ive ever been a part of, even when i ran them. Everyone has extremely interesting characters that will create wacky situations. Good times.

Sun_Snuff
12-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Im down for sunday

kavnir
12-19-2010, 10:27 AM
fuuuuuuuckkk.......It's 10 a.m. Sunday morning. I'm drunk but writing into the campaign. If you all want this to happen at 1 hit me back here or by phone to see who all is coming. Otherwise, open-ended...I dunno...board gaming?...is an absolute option. I f you feel that is at least worth comin out, then power to us all. I have my friend in from outta town who originally ran the only gurps campaign I played in and his willing presence in our session would be a boon as he is quite familiar w the rules.

I would like everybody to chime in on whether we would agree to only run a session at any time only if all players can make it...do so here on the public forum. Thanks

I do apologize for delay in Pennpaper post on my part but I've been communicating w most of u by text. Still, not a good excuse as it's inadvertently exclusionary.
See you soon? like 2 hours?

Nick__C
12-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi, Everybody! (hi, Dr. Nick!)

So to answer Eddie's question about dealing with absent players, my attitude has always been, "The show must go on." I have had to cancel on a few occasions and I never expected you to put your plans on hold for me. Although I agree with Eddie that the ideal scenario is to have everyone present, the reality is we all have our own lives and it can be hard to get 5 people in one place in the same time. I think the best thing to do is establish a "critical mass" for the game to proceed.

I personally have many fond memories playing in a campaign consisting of 2 players and a GM. Maybe for this group we'd prefer 3 players + GM as our minimum?

Anyway, that's my 2 copper. I'm open to others' suggestions.

eridcat
12-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm available Wednesday starting at noonish. Also Sunday same time. Like dr nick said whoever shows up , plays. So let me know please. I will be available more on weekdays too next week, but earlier the better.

Nick__C
12-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah/Solemn Ramadan/Happy Solstice/Happy Saturnalia and so on!

So I don't know what's the situation with the game this week, but once again I have NO PLANS WHATSOEVER...other than NYE, but even then it won't be a problem for me to hang out on Jan 1. One thing I want to mention is that I just got back from my mom's house and I brought back about 5000 calories worth of sweets which I will happily share with the group.

The bad news is that if we put off playing for too long, some of the sweets might mysteriously disappear. My waistline might increase too but I assure you that will only be a coincidence.

I also have a few more culinary surprises in store for our wise and benevolent GM...so stay tuned!

eridcat
01-04-2011, 04:30 AM
Hey guys
I was wondering if u guys want to get together this week. I'm thinking Wed night, friday night or Sunday afternoon?

Nick__C
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Wed won't work.

Friday is probably best for me, but I can do Sunday also.

metallicpumpkin
01-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Friday night works for me.

eridcat
01-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Hey. Sorry my work schedule changed. I'm available sat and Sunday.maybe Sunday will be ok for all?

tinman674
01-06-2011, 10:40 AM
sunday huh? ok i guess but is eddie ready to play im still mia for now anyway

Nick__C
01-06-2011, 06:42 PM
I will try to make it on sunday then

kavnir
01-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey folks. If it isn't common knowledge yet, Cass's baby boy was born so congrats to him and his wife, Amy. Not sure yet how it affects his gaming schedule, but hopefully we'll still have our Cartel usurper. Sunday has been discussed and I'm going to plan accordingly, so hit me up here or on cell to confirm or call in a sick day. Also, if anybody has issues, questions, or requests about the campaign or your own character please write me.

Nick__C
01-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Sorry guys, school is very stressful for me for the next few weeks. I can't make it this weekend either since I need to get my ducks all in a row.

eridcat
01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
well, guys we could wait a couple of weeks til things get straightened out for all. Im thinking January 29 a saturday at 1pm? mark ur calendars! let me know if u guys agree. I will make sure to have chips for us at least. Then we can figure out for some dominicks pizza hehe ( Pizza is required).

Nick__C
01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Alright, this is a very sad post for me, but here goes:

I'm going to need to temporarily drop out. Emphasis on temporarily! The reason why is I'm scheduled for surgery soon on my right ankle and it will be a long time before I can get around.

It's too bad, too. Not only have I enjoyed playing RPGs with you guys but it has been a tremendous pleasure getting to know all of you. Just being able to hang out and escape my life for an afternoon has been fun. Anyway, I expect to be able to walk some time around April, so I'll check in then. Later!