PDA

View Full Version : Book Prices

Moritz
10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
So I was putzing around HEB (hurst euless bedford) the other day and stopped in at Gen X comics. I needed some mini's and a player of mine needed a 3.5 players handbook. So I checked for him. There happened to be a used one which was in good condition but marked for 40.00 dollars.

Seriously? 40 smacks for a used book that can be bought on amazon.com for as low as 11?

Are prices so out of control now that a book which I bought mine new for 15 bucks years ago is worth more used than new? Or is that just the comic book store trying to rip a brotha off?

Malruhn
10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Book/gaming stores are still REALLY hurting after Paizo raped them over the, "There is no 4.0 in development and there never will be," thing. I have heard of three different stores shutting down after being caught with inventories that were bulging with 3.5 stuff. Paizo was still offering normal prices for wholesale purchases all the way up to the day before 4.0 came out, which is truly crappy customer service. Yeah, the argument can be made that it was their own fault, but, damn... they have to try to crawl out from the hole somehow.

BUT - you are right - a used book that used to sell for the same price is WAY overpriced. Perhaps it is a poor business decision based on the results of a poor business decision.

You might talk to the owner/manager, to see if they'll take less. If I see you there with a $20 in your hand - and you turn to the door, hey, it's time to make a decision about whether a total loss in my costs is worth more than a partial loss.

RannXerox
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I just posted about book prices on Amazon for 3.5 vs 4e and found 3.5 new coming in from $80 to over 100 where 4e was discounted to $24.

tesral
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Supply and demand. Ergo 3x remains in demand and the supply dwindles.