PDA

View Full Version : New 4E D&D Campaign

ElFlamingo
10-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Looking for players like this reminds me of trying to get a group on an mmo. Anywho, I'm looking for some players for a lvl 1-(hopefully)30 campaign. Anyone interested in joining please ask questions!

Thanks!

JerryRigg
10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I've never played a 4E game before, though I have many of the books and what I like to think is a firm grasp on the system. I see you're looking for 4 players, and am curious as to how many you have now. As to the time/location, that's certainly workable for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd love to get in on this and am hoping to hear back from you relatively soon.

Jspanky
10-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I just moved into town and I'm looking to get back into D&D and I have yet to play 4E! I'd love to get a group together and play :3

ElFlamingo
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Well first off I'd need people to be relatively close to where I live since I don't have easy and fast transportation.

Besides that I have only one spot filled in a possibly 6 player game. I'd like to play once per week, on friday, sat., or sun. Right now I have work on mon. and 9-5 on friday so sat. would be the best day for late games. If that doesn't work well for you then we can talk and try and rearrange each others schedules to work better.

My running style is usually a good fit for most people, if I go over some stuff that I've already told you sorry! I'm gonna be starting my campaign at lvl 1 and (hopefully) this game will last a while and we'll get to 30. Anything in the books are allowed, just try and talk to be and show me the characters before we start the game. I like to know what my party is made of beforehand so I can make the encounters and challenges a bit more fun and to better fit your characters. Weird races, like the ones from PHB3 (I'm looking at you Shardmind and Wilden lol) are cool, but I'd like to hear a good reason for being one of them; no super long backstory but at the very least a good concept. This goes doubly for the drow. I don't know where my distinct dislike for the drow came from, but I'm betting it wields two scimitars and rhymes with Grizzt. The world I'll be running is going to be the default Points of Light campaign that 4E has been using. Quick overview is that there were great big nations worth of races and mages and the sort, but the empires crumbled like all do and the world is currently an unexplored, monster-ridden, and ruin-ridden world where small towns, villages, and kingdoms dot the land. As each day goes on these points of light keep being overrun by monsters. Magic is a bit rarer and adventurers are also pretty rare. This is a pretty cool thread on the WotC forum that could be a cool read if you want to start getting an idea of the sort of things that'll be around:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19920858/New_Points_of_Light!_(And_Dark!)
Besides that, I'll be giving you guys a starting sum of coins to build your character. I'm thinking about changing around how much things cost, but hey I have one player so let's worry about that after we have enough players and actually know when we're gonna play.

Anyways on to my dming style. I like to have a good 50/50 on combat and story. Usually when your facing an enemy it'll be part of the story or will move the story along. Although I do like dungeon delves, unless you specifically look for a dungeon to delve, the fights will be classic stuff. Fight through the tower to rescue the princess, rumble with the liches minions until you get to the lich. I'll also tailor the fights to the party, let's say you're specializing in fire magic and most of your spells have the fire keyword; I won't be sending wave after wave of fire immunity creatures after you. This doesn't mean you wouldn't fight the occasional fire giant, but I wouldn't do it to spite you or to "win" against the players. I'd do it cause fire giants are cool! Actually I'd do it to put you guys in real danger, and to make sure the game isn't just one easy fight after another. I like to challenge my players and have fun. I also have a total hard-on (as a friend puts it) for old Gygaxian random encounters. I won't be doing them very often, but every once in a while, maybe once per level or so, I like to fit one in. They break up the monotony of story based combat and, if done well, add a lot to the story. It's nice once in a while to fight some roving werewolves between the orcs and goblins. I do like role-playing, but not at the expense of fun. It's great to play your character, just make sure that it's not taking away from the fun at the table. If you, like me, like to write up a big backstory on your half-orc ranger about how he got his first sword and where he grew up and the such that's fine. Great even. But I don't need it. It's great to have your character be well thought-out and have a backstory, but I don't want characters to be made into loners or brooding about their history. Try and make your guys think more about what they want to do as adventurers and what they look forward to when adventuring. Great example is my friends Dragonborn in another campaign. He didn't have all his backstory thought out, but he played his guy on what he wanted to do when he reached epic levels, which was become a demigod to get with tiamet. Funny yes, but it made a memorable character who made the game a little more fun. Last thing, although I don't have a horrible problem with it I don't want you to power-game and min/max your character to the extant that you don't role-play. I think it's entirely fine that you put the most effort in making your guy great and powerful, the point of the game is to feel powerful and heroic, but please don't try and break the system. If your character is more powerful because of your build than the rest of the party, it can make the rest of the group feel secondary almost like they don't very much matter compared to you.

I've suddenly realized I gave you a block of text. Bad Flamingo.

Ok, well that's a lot of info. If you have any more questions just ask.

Deadmire78
10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I am new to 4E but I have played for around 8 years, when I was younger, then quit and have recently got back into gaming. I have been looking for a group and would like to join if there is room for another gamer and you have patience for a newbie of sorts.

ElFlamingo
10-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Well I'm all for newbies. I'm expecting a few anyways. First off, I want to start the first game at my house. How close are you guys to it? If you don't think you can make a weekly game in tacoma then you couldn't really join.

JerryRigg
10-18-2010, 09:21 PM
It'd probably be around a 30, 40 minute drive for me. But on the weekends that's easily doable for me any time of day. Providing my own transportation is not a problem of any kind.

ElFlamingo
10-18-2010, 10:16 PM
If anyone has questions about the game, just send me a tell or post here. I'll answer anything if it helps you figure out if you can join.

ElFlamingo
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I just moved into town and I'm looking to get back into D&D and I have yet to play 4E! I'd love to get a group together and play :3

If you think you could make saturday games, afternoon to evening, then I'd love to have you join us.

Edmund Burke
10-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I can make Saturday afternoons.

Which is to say, I can stay for the full duration of the session.

ElFlamingo
10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Yay! That's good. So can we count on you to join the group?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Alright, so I talked about how I was going to give some Homebrewed things for a spin, well here they are.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22933949/Limulian_%28Horseshoecrabfolk%29_PEACH!?pg=1
First up is the coolest race name ever. Limulian (horseshoecrabfolk) Race
&
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21839449/Non-Final_Fantasy_Dragoon_Class_Complete?post_id=47003 6613#470036613
Second up is a pretty interesting idea for mounted combat. Dragoon (Mounted Archer) Class

Remember if you want to go for one of these pm me first and we'll look through it together. I want to playtest these more than anything, so we might need to change things in game with your character if your overpowered or underpowered.

Edmund Burke
10-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Question:

I'm not sure of this constitutes homebrew or not, but I was wondering if it would be possible to play a ranger focusing on the thrown weapon/melee dual attacks (if it helps I can pull up the references), but altering them so said ranger first fires a crossbow and then, with a dagger or shortsword locked to the front of the stock, rushes in for a BAYONET CHARGE!

It would not be super-important, I just kind of wanted to be able to say FIX BAYONETS! during an initiative roll.

ElFlamingo
10-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Well we have about 5 people in our group so far, so we have room for one more if you ask really nicely.

planetchain
10-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Hi Elflamingo,
I just discovered your post. And, if you have room for one more player, I'd love to join. I'm located in White Center and available Saturdays. I've been searching for a 4th edition game to join, and your GM style meshes with what I'm looking for-spontaneous, open, and adventurous. Please, check out my profile, and let me know if I'd be a suitable fit for your group. Cheers.

ElFlamingo
10-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Sadly for everyone else, this group is officially full. If it become officially not full I'll speak up.

Thank you for everyone who asked about it and everyone who responded! I'm pretty stoked that so many people play nearby! Thanks again!

Deadmire78
10-24-2010, 02:15 AM
If there is an opening that opens up I would love to play. My name is Garrick. Email me @ Deadmire78@hotmail.com to reach me or call me @ (360) 413-7361.

ElFlamingo
10-24-2010, 05:06 AM
Duly noted!

ElFlamingo
11-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Howdy! So a spot may be opening up soon in my campaign. If you're interested then get back to me as soon as possible with a character concept.

Thank you!

kris8384
05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
If you are still looking for a gaming group, please follow this link and let's see if we can make something happen:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/southsoundgamers/

Thanks,

-Chris