PDA

View Full Version : Psionics Freak

jshale4486
03-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I love the power of the mind to control matter. That's why I will play as, if allowed to, a psionic character. I am looking to join a group that will be open minded about what type of rpg they play and also as to how they play them. I love almost all rpg's and I would like to get my fiancee into them. She had a bad experience with one group I gamed with because the dm would tell you what you should and shouldn't do instead of just letting you screw up when you do. But I think that a good experience will bring her into the world that I have come to love.

PhishStyx
03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
I have an aunt and uncle in Cary; never get to see 'em either.

ronpyatt
03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Welcome!
Psionics? I love a good psionics game and characters. I got hooked on it when I first started gaming.
1st Champions (supers)
2nd Psi World (dystopia)
3rd AD&D 2nd Ed. (not real psionics, but doable)
I've even dabbled in creating psychic RPGs over the years.

A number of people have been burned by the old D&D psionics, a trauma that they've never recovered from. sigh.
Psionics are viewed with distrust by players, upset game balance for GMs, rejected by fantasy settings, scoffed by science fiction fans, and laughed at by supers.
Psionics lay somewhere between pseudo-science and fantasy, doesn't quite make the superhero grade, and dips into the horror genre. It's easier to explain on distant worlds, outer space, or in the distant future. However, I'm perfectly comfortable with psionics in nearly any genre.

Moritz
03-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Not a big fan of D&D Psionics, but anything street level or super heroic, rocks.

PhishStyx
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I've played a number of game systems where psychic abilities were great. I don't recall D&D being one of them, but that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.