PDA

View Full Version : What Music Do Geeks Like?

Webimpulse
09-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I am typing this post as I rip CDs (that I legitimately own, of course), mix my iPod Touch's playlists, and burn bridges on my computer, so that's what prompts me to ask this question:

What kind of music do geeks like? Is there any one particular genre that's "geeky?"

As a freelance writer not only do I cover geeky things like video games and the like (when I can find freelance work), I also cover music for my local alternative newsweekly. I do CD reviews for the kinds of music I happen to like - most recently I covered releases by Korn and the Chemical Brothers. I guess that hints at the genres I happen to like: the harder edged music such as metal :drum:and techno :dance:. (Sorry, those were the only smilies I could find that could remotely relate to those genres. Get more smilies! :p ) That's not to say I limit myself; if a piece of music is hard, got a good beat, and has that "attitude" to it I can listen to it.

Thing is, I don't know of any one genre that defines "geek"-dom. Geek-themed bands have been metal, rap, electronica, and, well, I don't know of any others. So I guess I'll find out what genres geeks here at PPG like! What music do you like to roll dice by?

cplmac
09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Personally, I feel that the type of game would more dictate as to what style/genre of music would best fit in. Sort of base the music with the approximate time frame of the game. For example, I don't really see being able to use the electronic/techno music when running a D&D game. The flip side of that would be that it would probably fit together nicely if the game were from the Scifi/Futuristic genre. Just my 2 cents as a musician.

As for what we listen to at our game sessions, it just depends on what some of the players have loaded that day. About the only thing we don't listen to is Rap. Then again, it doesn't quite fit the definition of music that requires a melodic, a harmonic, and a rythmic line.

rabkala
09-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Most of my D&D crowd are Hard Rock fans as they are nearly as old as the stones themselves :p.
Some of my younger friends are are new metal fans.

I was a real punk in the 80's, musuically as well. I slowly turned metal :mullet:. Now I listen to alot of 'alternative post hardcore punk revival emmo' and the like :noidea:. Sometimes, when it's dark and nobody is around, I pull out some folky stuff like Harry Chapin or some old sweet country like Ronnie Millsap or Conway Twitty :tape:.

Maybe thats geeky...

Malruhn
10-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Geeks listen to music.

Any music.

If you try to pin us down, we'll just squish through your labeling fingers like Jello.

Some like this, some like that, some like the other stuff. In 30 years of gaming, I've never seen a majority come to light - we just like music.

kirksmithicus
10-04-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm listening to Yo Gabba Gabba! I wish they would play it the local game store. As it seems that not everyone learned what they needed too in pre-school.

Can you tell I have a 3 year old.

tesral
10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Geeks listen to music.

Any music.

If you try to pin us down, we'll just squish through your labeling fingers like Jello.

Some like this, some like that, some like the other stuff. In 30 years of gaming, I've never seen a majority come to light - we just like music.

What he said, with a spider chorus line...and cheerleaders

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

:spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::s pider:

Soft Serve
10-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Personally (as in not speaking for a group.)

Modest Mouse is the win.

tesral
10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
When I am asked what music like like I say "good music". My collection has everything from Gregorian Chants to Heavy Metal.

Raan_Amano82
10-16-2010, 05:16 AM
When I am asked what music like like I say "good music". My collection has everything from Gregorian Chants to Heavy Metal.

I second that. I like a wide variety of music myself, but Rock music is my favorite.