PDA

View Full Version : Martian Power House Rule (people will hate me)

Utgardloki
09-26-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm coming up with a campaign write up for "Martian Power", which I conceive of as a 4th Edition campaign set on Mars. I've decided on a house rule that I know will be controversial, so I'll post it here:

Knowing what hit you.

On page 57 of the Player’s Handbook, it says “Whenever you affect a creature with a power, that creature knows exactly what you’ve done to it and what conditions you’ve imposed.”

The house rule is that this rule only applies if you could explain to that creature what condition has been imposed. For example, if you use the divine challenge power on a goblin, but you could not explain to the goblin what happens if he attacks someone other than you, the goblin will not know that he takes damage for attacking somebody else. The goblin knows that he has been challenged by you, but without an explanation for why he takes damage for attacking someone else, he does not know that this condition applies to him.

A creature does know when something affects him that he knows about, e.g., that he has taken damage after ignoring a divine challenge. Eventually he is going to figure out the cost of ignoring divine challenge (if he lives).

This rule also works the other way: if a power is used against you and it applies an effect that would not make sense to your character, you might not get warned of that effect. Ignore challenges at your own risk.

Farcaster
09-26-2010, 02:58 AM
I think that makes since, and although as a DM I want to know what the effect is of ignoring a marked condition, I decide what the creature would be able to ascertain and have it react appropriately. If it is particularly mindless, it might even make the mistake repeatedly throughout the fight.