PDA

View Full Version : role playing gambling...

RealmsDM
03-16-2007, 09:28 PM
just wondering how everyone handles "in game" gambling. do you actually play the game out, make a opposed roll, a bluff check? just wanna see ideas...

Farcaster
03-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Hmm.. Gambling hasn't come up too often in my games. I suppose if it did, I'd probably use something like Profession (Gambler) to handle the minutia of the character making a living at it. Certainly, though, if we were talking about a high stakes game, I'd probably add some roleplay to it, Maverick-style, and I'd either use a combination of skills (bluff, sense motive, profession-gambling) or play an actual game of bones. Wizards has some dice games they came up with that you might check out at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/dg

Ed Zachary
03-17-2007, 08:55 AM
just wondering how everyone handles "in game" gambling. do you actually play the game out, make a opposed roll, a bluff check? just wanna see ideas...

We've done that quite often. The character would gamble IRL with the DM being the house.

Putting in a game system in place in my opinion would be ridiculous and overkill.

Just role play real gambling.

Moritz
03-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I've had a few players try be gamblers. They get a few skill points tossed into Bluff and like skills and think they're Maverick. When they've not taken into account that there are people who devote their entire lives to such a profession and can roll much better than them. And when they lose they whine and cry about how many points they have and I just shake my head and say nothing.

Farcaster
03-19-2007, 10:11 AM
You might remind them that a high Sense Motive and Bluff can help them in more ways than just gambling. You can use it in anything from diplomatic situations to running a confidence scam. They are very useful skills, applied properly.

Moritz
03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I'd remind them, but remember, this is the group that still does stuff when warned not to OOCly and ICly.

Skunkape
03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
We used to do in game gambling all the time when we played Boot Hill, course it was always cards. The way we handled it was to set up a normal poker game, where everyone who wanted in on the gambling sat at the table. Each player could attempt to gamble at anytime, using palmed cards etc, but if you weren't the dealer, it was harder to do, decreased your chances.

We didn't even bother to hide what we were doing taking the cards we wanted out of the deck. Boot Hill rules gave each character a gambling percentage that was rolled against by those involved. I don't remember the exact rules, but it was a % roll. I know my character only had a 1 or 2 % chance in getting caught, so most of the other players wouldn't gamble against him.

But we'd also gamble against NPCs played by the GM. I don't remember if we ever had us against the NPCs in a shoot out, but I'm sure we did at least once or twice over a hand of cards.:D

You could do something similar with DnD if you wanted to get some interaction into the game. Of course, certain games would be harder to cheat at then others. Games where the 'house' didn't allow the players to handle whatever method of gambling were used, for instance, roulette would be harder to cheat at since you would only be able to change where the ball came out through a spell or psionics and that would be fairly easy to detect.

But with some kind of card game or knuckle bones it might be possible to palm the cards/dice that everyone is using and switch them for your own. Those are a couple of fun ways to actually do a little role-playing when it came to gambling.

RealmsDM
03-20-2007, 03:42 PM
i was thinking of a way to mix actually playing the game of chance & some role playing. the rogue of my group (who prefers the old school title of thief & backstab instead of sneak attack) wants to use his bluff/sense motive & slight of hand to give him the edge. i agree with him 100%, but how to translate that if we're actually playing
and with actually playing- man, that can be a time killer.

Farcaster
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, you could work it as some sort of synergy bonus. Since the character would need to have a good understanding of the game he was playing, you could base it off of a Profession(Gaming) skill. Depending on the scenario, you could give a +2 synergy bonus to his profession skill for having a 5 in bluff and sense motive. As far as slight of hands, I'd probably favor having the character make that roll individually when he wants to cheat using Slight of Hand to make sure he wasn't detected. If he was successful, he'd still want to maximize his take from the bets, so, he'd still use Profession (Gaming) with the applicable synergy bonus.

Sound workable?

spotlight
03-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I never was involved in an 'in game' gambleing scene, but I did have a character that once sat in on a NPC 'game of cards' and used his slight of hand score to make it appear that the npc we needed to get information from was caught 'cheating'. We barely managed to rescue him from a roomful of enraged miners. Yea Gods! So much hacking and slashing with out actually killing. THAT'S some roll play.

Grimwell
03-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Whenever I've had players gamble in character, we gamble at the table. It is more fun than doing a skill check or luck roll, and adjudicating the results. When characters have the ability to influence the results, I just find a way to give them a cheat and roll with it.

wizarddog
01-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Depends on the type of Gambling. Most of the descriptions are regarding poker with the use of bluff. When I created a Gambling Den scenario I discouraged the PC from gambling as it would always favor the house. They made Charisma Checks against various DC--the best being they may break even. If they truly want to make money they have to take profession (Gambling). A Professional gambler would be based on ranks and Skill Focus.

So a El 1 Expert at WS 18 + skill focus could have a +11 on Profession Gambling and earn from 6 to 16 gp per week. Not Chump Change for someone is technically not working a standard job.

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Another vote for just RP'ing the real gambling game. As long as the gambling sessions aren't excessive. If you have a compulsive gambler in the PC ranks then you might want to consider something else lol :p

gdmcbride
01-11-2008, 03:48 AM
How gambling is handled depends on the game's focus.

If it's just a brief aside, roll some dice, move along to the real story.

If the fate of the kingdom rides on this hand, then by all means play it out. And stack the deck before the game begins to get the result you want. Have them shuffle a deck and then swap it with your doctored deck while you go to the bathroom or behind the GM screen. Player's will never think of that.

Magician skills are also useful when your being a DM.

Gary

tesral
01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Two problems with "real gambling" at the table. One, I would be hard pressed to find a deck of cards. Two, that and dice games are your only choices. The other methods are not "available" due to lack of equipment.

Second, it's hard to incorporate the PCs scores into the game. I might role-play a good gambler, while I myself am not. The in game, game should reflect the skills of the PC not the player. (Although Boot Hill looked like it might have a good method openly cheating and having a roll to get away with it. You still have to know how to cheat at cards.)

So, that said we use an opposed roll. The PCs appropriate skills against the house odds. All the role playing the players wish while rolling the dice for the real game.

Hmm I need to set up some games with fixed odds.

DrAwkward
01-11-2008, 09:58 AM
It depends on how many of the players are gambling. If its a full party thing, we break out the actuals, otherwise if its just one or two we hand wave it with checks (provided there isn't important role playing going on along with it)

I've also tried making up some "house games" based on our set of multi-sided dice.

Twelves --
Players each roll 2d6, House rolls 3d4, high roll wins between house and each player. It pays even odds, and ties push.

Riftwalker
01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice. If on ties you simply roll again, the house expects to pull in 12.5% of the wager each game, assuming I didn't fudge up the math somewhere.

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Can somebody link me to a d4 that isn't in the shape of a pyramid? I've looked through a couple dice sites and can't seem to find one.

DrAwkward
01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Can somebody link me to a d4 that isn't in the shape of a pyramid? I've looked through a couple dice sites and can't seem to find one.

There is a set of pill dice that seem to be gaining popularity. All the dice are basically cylinders with tapered edges. I can't find you any links from work though.

Otherwise, you can always halve a d8.

edit: "I coulda halved a d8" I'm such a dork.

Xaels Greyshadow
01-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Try this link.

http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/dice/byManufacturer/crystalCaste/7DieSets/standard7Cubes

Xaels

DrAwkward
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Nice. If on ties you simply roll again, the house expects to pull in 12.5% of the wager each game, assuming I didn't fudge up the math somewhere.

Yes, house odds are astronomical. I might consider putting in a bonus for the player rolling natural 12's. (I get 12.24% house advantage in my calcs)

Lesee if a natural 12 (provided the house doesn't push) pays...

2:1 the house makes 9.5%
3:1 the house makes 6.77%
4:1 the house makes 4%

I like it, because the House Odds look pretty slim until you do the math. Throw in the "2:1 on a nat 12!" and the suckers should start lining up.

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
The triangle in this image is what I know D4's as.

http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/CYC/CYC06442_90.jpeg

Tony Misfeldt
01-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I've used gambling in a number of past adventures. Generally if it's important to the story line or if all the PCs want in, I break out the cards and we actually play while in character. If it's just a little side bar thing with one of the PCs then we simply roll dice using skills, proficiencies, whatever.

I have come up with some games of chance that can be done with dice for an adventure I'm working on (one of the PCs is a compulsive gambler, who gets suckered into going into a crooked gambling house and racks up a massive debt). One is a form of roulette. The wheel is set up with the numbers 1 through 20, six times in each of the 6 colours of the rainbow. A player has three choices on how to play. He can bet on a colour (1 in 6 chance), a number (a 1 in 20 chance), or a coloured number (a 1 in 120 chance). The DM then just has to roll either 1d6, 1d20, or 1d6 + 1d20 to determine if the PC wins.
Another game is a part mechanical, part magical slot machine. One is called The Dragon's Hoard. There are 5 wheels, each with a picture of all 6 chromatic dragons (White, Black, Green, Yellow, Blue, and Red). Match all 5 dragon heads and win the jackpot. The more powerful the dragon, the bigger the jackpot (obviously, 5 red dragons gives you the most). There's one more "One Armed Bandit" I created. I call it "TAROT". For this one you need a deck of tarot cards. Just shuffle the cards, draw one, put back, shuffle again, and repeat. If the player draws the same card three times in a row he wins (this indicates the slot machine came up with three matching icons). These are the only "honest" games in the house. All others (card games, dice games, etc) are rigged with marked cards, loaded dice, and professional gamblers/rogues. The odds of winning the honest games are dangerously stacked in the houses favour

rabkala
01-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I use skill rolls to adjudicate any quick necessary gambling in the game. I do not want to let the game degenerate into something different than a RPG. I don't want players thinking they can run around cheating the populous without consequence. I don't want players thinking it is a great source of income.

In the past, we have played full blown poker tournaments and crap games. A DM I played with in the late 80's was a big gambling fan. It started out just using pennies and nickels for markers, but slowly progressed into real gambling. Since the DM was no good at cards, after he lost his money he would start betting things for your characters like magic items, extra hit points, ability points, and experience points.

On nights when we have low player turnout, we will break out board/card games or actually gamble. One of my current players is a huge collector of board games and card games. He has a whole room in his house filled with all sorts of weird games that he will break out for such occasions. One of the last games that fell after the holiday (where half the players wanted to cancel), the rest of us met and played a card game called grass. The one before that, we played LOTR risk and Star Wars risk into the wee hours of the morning. Other games can be fun, and offer a different way for the group to interact and bond.

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Wish I could have been there for that RISK action. Sounds like a blast. I recently came across www.fantasyflightgames.com and found a treasure trove of board gaming goodness. I'd like to try the Doom boardgame myself :D. Just don't have enough players.

DrAwkward
01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
The wheel is set up with the numbers 1 through 20, six times in each of the 6 colours of the rainbow. A player has three choices on how to play. He can bet on a colour (1 in 6 chance), a number (a 1 in 20 chance), or a coloured number (a 1 in 120 chance). The DM then just has to roll either 1d6, 1d20, or 1d6 + 1d20 to determine if the PC wins.

What do you have for payouts on these?

DrAwkward
01-14-2008, 10:01 AM
One of my current players is a huge collector of board games and card games. He has a whole room in his house filled with all sorts of weird games that he will break out for such occasions.
Every gaming group needs a guy like this. Some of my favorites are Guillotine, Munchkin, and Arkham Horror.

Guillotine -- you line up nobles to get thier heads lopped. Each player, in turn, plays a card from thier hand (usually to re-arrange the line order) and collects the head of the next noble in line. Different nobles are worth different points, and some are worth more if you get a set. Grim, fun, and plays pretty fast.

Munchkin -- parody of D&D hack&slash gaming. It gets kinda vicious near the end, as folks start sabotaging each other.

Arkham Horror -- (I think I have the name right) High quality (but pricey) board game based on Lovecraft's work. In the city of Arkham, portals start opening up and monsters pour out. It's the players' job to close the portals before enough open that a Lord of Madness awakens and ends all things. I dig this game because it's cooperative play -- players versus board. Everybody has to work together or everybody loses. Its like playing "Call of Cuthulu" but the board does all the DMing.

Maelstrom
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Talisman all the way.

Especially with the "Chaos Bloodbath" optional rules

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Tannhäuser (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tannhauser.html) looks like great fun. I love settings in the WWII setting that have little to do with WWII itself. Ingenious (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ingenious.html) is a blast to play :D