PDA

View Full Version : Out of Character thread



Q-man
09-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Yukon had the good suggestion of a thread for out of character discussions. So here it is :)

He also mentioned a discussion of the dice roller, so I'll add some instructions for that. Also feel free to practice with the die roller in this thread as well.

The syntax for the roll looks like this (just don't put that space between the square bracker and "roll"):

[ roll=<die roll>]name of my roll[/roll]
In place of <die roll> you would put some standard dice expression like 3d6 or 1d20+5. It will show up in the post as *name of my roll*, so you'll want to put in a more useful name that describes the roll. The actual results of the roll will be shown at the bottom of the post.

As a last comment the die roller only works when you first submit the post. If you are editing the post it will not roll any dice. I think the idea is to prevent you from inadvertently re-rolling when you're fixing typos. If you are editing a post and need a to re-roll for some reason there is a check box on the post editing form named "Reroll Dice in Post" (its down in the additional options section), if you check that it will re-roll your dice.

yukonhorror
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I am assuming during my inquiry I figured out where the lord resides, no? I'll ask around if need be, but lead me onto the lord's manor.

Q-man
09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Things like temples and lords manners can be discovered with a fairly easy streetwise check. We'd be looking for a 10 to discover them, so it should be too hard. I think its safe to assume that without much difficulty you could get directions to the lords manor, so we don't need to play it out.

yukonhorror
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd like to make a heal? roll to maybe ID any disease associated with our symptoms and the symptoms of the madman who ran out of the building.

heal check to ID disease

If a knowledge is needed, use the same roll. Nature is +6, religion is +3, arcane is +9, and dungeoneering is +6 (instead of +11 for heal)

Q-man
09-24-2010, 06:21 AM
That would be enough that your examinations would confirm the doctor's suspicions, its not natural there is some magical component to it similar to a curse. Its nothing you've ever seen before, so you can't put a name to it. Even considering the symptoms does little good, in the combination no single disease comes to mind.

Webimpulse
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Why do I get this feeling that I'm about to get jumped on by that priest? :scared:

On the other hand, I did roll the first Natural 20 of the game! Hopefully that's enough to get me out of trouble... :lol:

Q-man
09-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear the creepiness factor I was shooting for came through :)
Its tough to tell reactions with just text, and some of these folks I want to give off a particular vibe. Its reassuring to know that I'm not missing the mark.

Webimpulse
09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey all, just want to let people know that I might be slow in posting over the next few days. I'll still post, but it's just I got a lot to do as of late, so if it seems like I'm slow, well, now you know why. :)

yukonhorror
09-30-2010, 07:48 AM
in general, weekends I'll RARELY post. I typically don't peruse the forums over the weekends.

Q-man
09-30-2010, 08:07 AM
I'll be somewhat erratic with posting. Odds are good that weekdays I'll be very regular; weeknights and weekends I'll sneak in posts between diaper changes and getting bottles ready. You can probably expect a lot of strange auto-correction mistakes when I put in posts through the phone during those times.

I'm ok with whatever pace you guys are comfortable with. If I'm jumping in to react to stuff you've posted to quickly let me know. Its hard to tell when all of the actions have been posted, so if I'm advancing things before you get time to post let me know and I can slow up a bit.

Any other feedback you have is also welcome. This is the first play by post game I'm running, so it might be prudent for me to form the right habits for such games from the start.

yukonhorror
09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
With the pbp game I play in. I post at least once for each time the DM posts.

also, did my sword illuminate??

Greendrg543
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I was just wondering if I got my money back, that way we could go with the smith to the tavern and buy him and his wife some drinks to loosen them up and see if the know anything

Q-man
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Your money was in with your backpack, so when Lyna gave you that stuff you gold was with it. So yes, you have your money back.

yukonhorror
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
other than the staff, what other equipment are we missing

Also I am going to do all dice rolls here in OOC (to keep story thread pretty)


for what I said bluff seemed appropriate, but it could be intimidate (which is the same roll +2). You can decide what is most appropriate

bluff

yukonhorror
10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I would like to stop there to finish getting everything. If someone wants to go ahead and meet the dwarves, I am fine with that.

yukonhorror
10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
streetwise

Going to add a reroll so you can get my perception roll too.

perception without ornament

ps. sorry guys, i thought it would be a quick stop... Any sign of trouble, I will not be brave, I'll come sprinting home :).

yukonhorror
10-07-2010, 07:21 AM
two notes:

A) I think you can edit my post as the admin for this pbp forum. I edited it, but fyi.

B) If a player doesn't post within a reasonable amount of time, the DM for my other pbp game skips them and assumes they go with the majority or repeat last action.

You may want to assume he went to the pub too.

Q-man
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm a moderator of the forum, so I should be able to make edits. I'd prefer not too, since I'm not sure how apparent those changes would be to you guys.

You're right, there should be some limit to how long we wait for a player to post something. I don't actually have a limit set though, and I'm not sure how long it should be to be fair to everyone. In this case its been 3 days since his last post, what do you guys think is a fair time? 3 days, 5 days? I don't think it should exceed a week.

yukonhorror
10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Unless he has said something prior (i.e. my parents come to town next thursday and will be here till the monday after), I'd say 3 days is plenty (weekend length).

Webimpulse
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Keep in mind time zones too; if I'm not mistaken, at least one of our group comes from Europe. And I'm on the US East Coast.

yukonhorror
10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
true, but I am thinking 3 days since the POSTER's last post. There is a time stamp on all posts.

Also, was that the result of my previous perception check, or do I need to do another one???

perception

Q-man
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
That was the result of your passive perception. Every now and again I remember that such a value exists and put it to use. You're welcome to follow that up with a more focused look if you'd like, which I'll assume you're doing with that roll.

yukonhorror
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
yes

Q-man
10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
The results of your perception are in the story thread. It was merged into that long post with the dwarf's story, buried under a hide tag.

Greendrg543
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
How much does ale cost? I was going to by the next round to keep the dwarfs interested in continuing questioning them.

yukonhorror
10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I am assuming grey skin is not normal or a good thing.... I am going to make a quick religion roll to id them (I have an inkling they ain't alive). Also, posted an official post.

religion roll to id creepsters

Q-man
10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Ale isn't going to cost too much, for each round you buy lets say its 5 gold.

yukonhorror
10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
endurance check to run to the house

yukonhorror
10-12-2010, 09:41 AM
if the house looks "dead", I am going to run around the perimeter of the house (assuming the spooky things are chasing me) and essentially double back and bolt for the pub (empty handed :().

Q-man
10-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Can I get a perception check from both you and Gideon?

Its worth mentioning that you're definitely faster than the creatures chasing you, which they do indeed seem to be chasing you. So you'll need to wait a bit behind the house for them to catch up to you, otherwise when you come around the other side of the house you'll run right into them.

I'll try to get motivated to toss together little mockups or maps for these sort of situations in the future.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

http://www.mindlence.com/RP/PbPSoldevi/GargoylesPerch.gif
Its not exactly to scale, but gives you some idea how things are laid out. The black dots are where the fence is around the cemetery and the house.

yukonhorror
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
First off, I'll wait for them to make sure they are coming. Second, I am thinking we go counter clockwise and when we are in the upper left corner, we hop the fence and bolt.

So here is a perception check

perception

and here is an athletics check to vault/climb/jump over fence.

athletics

yukonhorror
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
well bullocks. Ahh well. I am assuming you'll want at least an init roll?

initiative

In addition, if they do attack me (hit or miss), I get resis 6 until ENT. Also, considering we are MOST likely going nappy nap afterwards, I am most likely going to whip out some daily powers and such.

Finally, I am switching my sword on (you never mentioned if it emanated light or not, so I assume it does) to do radiant dam.

To gideon: I am going to use living fortress on the nearest guy. If you stay adj to me, you and I will have cover.

Also, for future ref, I get a +5 to jumping with athletics (stag's leap).

yukonhorror
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
how far is the undead from gideon?? In other words, if I move 2 sqrs to the East, would I be adj??

Even so, I am going to be safe. I am going to move 2 sqrs to the East (to stay adj to Gideon), mark him, and use warforged resilience

Move: Move 2 sqrs east
Minor: Use battlemind's demand on nearest undead guy (unaugmented)
Minor: Warforged resolved (gain 6 temp hp)

Q-man
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes, you'll be adjacent to both the zombie and Gideon in that square. So thats all good. Next up is the zombies.

yukonhorror
10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
so I am assuming he hit and I took 12 damage??

As such, battle resilience triggers. Until ENT, i have resis 6. On my NEXT turn, I'll use Living Fortress on that undead guy.

living fortress vs. AC

radiant damage (half dam if miss)

EFFECT: until end of the encounter: me and adj allies have cover :P I can end this as a minor action, but I'll let you know if I do that on my turn.


I updated my accounting info.

Q-man
10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
You're correct. He hit you for 12. You're up after Gideon, I'll apply that attack then.

yukonhorror
10-20-2010, 07:58 AM
I figure'd you'd apply it after his attack. I just post my next action to keep things going.

Three quick questions. He hit even with my cover from living fortress? Also, does my resistance apply to that attack or did it end beforehand? Finally, did it seem as though the radiant damage had any effect (i.e. he has vulnerability to rad dam)??

I'll use an lodestone lure augmented by 2 PP.

Move: Stand up
Std: lodestone lure (augment 2)

lodestone lure (A:2) vs. will
radiant damage

If hit: pull target 4 sqrs and knock it prone. Until ENT, the target can only move to sqrs adj to me.

Q-man
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Yes, even with cover he hit you (it rolled very well). You resistance still applies, but the attack did all the damag at once so you end up taking 7 damage. The radiant damage really hurt it.

yukonhorror
10-22-2010, 08:06 AM
well, why not some conductive defense (augmented:2)

conductive def (A:2)
lightning and radiant dam

You have this, so won't say what happens if I hit. As it only triggers if the guy hits someone else.

yukonhorror
10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Gideon readies his quarter staff. The creature was falling apart, and yet it was intent on hurting his friend. He rushes forwards towards the creature flanking it. He speaks not only letting his staff rush towards the abomination.

You know you get cover if you adj to me, right? Just making sure. I think my action is still pending, so will wait.

Helel
10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I've never even checked this thread before. But yeah I remember adj to you to get cover. But I'm trying to just chip away at it's health. It should be going down soon I hope.

Q-man
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I feel compelled to mention that the zombie you're fighting is not yet bloodied.

yukonhorror
10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
If he is flanking, I won't stop you, but shift near me if you feel you need/want cover.

I am going to use an AP

Std: conductive defense x2 vs. undead Ref

conductive defense vs. ref
lightning and radiant dam

2nd conductive defense vs. ref
2nd lightning and radiant dam

EDIT: forgot flanking bonus. Add it in would you (still miss for the first though).

Greendrg543
10-28-2010, 02:31 PM
so basically none of my attacks or powers can reach anyone, so i'm just going to take my sword out and move forward and towards the rocks on my left.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

oh i forgot, my speed is 6 so i can make it to the rocks

Deepthought
10-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Sylvain will try to move forward my 5 squares to get a clean shot at Creature 2 with the Songbow.
That is a ranged attack, +6
Ranged Attack
that will do
Piercing damage
Once everone is closer to C2, or I get closer to C1, I can start souping everyone else up with some song.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

argh...I nocked an error rather I think...

Q-man
10-29-2010, 06:48 AM
You guys are far enough away that it'll take yo ua few round to get into melee. But ranged attacks are valid to use.

Unfortunately Barakas is the only one that saw creature 2, Enemere and Syvlain coun't distinguish him from the outline of the house and fence. So I don't think its reasonable for you to take a shot at him. We can assume Barakas told you that its there, but you would essentially be shooting blind since you don't know where its standing. You can give that a try if you like, I just wanted to be sure thats whats going on.

Deepthought
10-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry, forgot about that. Just move carefully forward then

yukonhorror
10-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Since people are here, use my second wind.

Q-man
10-29-2010, 05:26 PM
The rocks are within 6, so you'll only need 1 move action to reach them. Would you like to do anything else?

Deepthought
10-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Sorry, i edited my earlier post. Sylvain moves straight forward to see what happens, Sword ready. He will make adouble move, and stop as soon as he sees something.

yukonhorror
11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't know if my second wind was assessed. I'll use that if it hasn't. If you already did that, then another conductive defense

conductive def vs. ref
lightning dam

Q-man
11-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Your second wind has not been used yet, it wasn't your turn when you said you wanted to use it. So that can be your standard action if you like. Anything else for you (Move/Minor)?

yukonhorror
11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
can i shift to be adj to gideon? If not, then no.

Q-man
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes you can. You'll have your back to the house, with the zombie in front of you, so no more flank. That will put you 1 square SW of Gideon

yukonhorror
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
two points: an initiative list would be good so we know whose turn it is.

Second: it is good to post if/then/else structures. That way, when your turn is up, we don't wait 3 days for a response. Q-man, can just continue.

yukonhorror
12-06-2010, 08:12 AM
on my next turn, conductive defense again against zombie.

conductive def vs. ref
lightning dam

Greendrg543
12-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Just wondering if you could forward my character sheet to me, I had to wipe my computer because of a virus, so if you could forward it to me at my email Q-man that'd be great

Q-man
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Your sheet has been sent, so it ought to be in your inbox soon.

Deepthought
01-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Maybe after the holidays we need to poke everyone to resume the action ...

yukonhorror
01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I apologize if I have been holding up the game. Been gone all week, and I didn't think my turn was close. In short, repeat the same action I have been doing. I don't know how much the map has changed, but..

conductive def to nearest zombie guy

lightning dam

Has the map changed significantly, or pretty much the same as the last one posted?

Q-man
01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
There actually has been quite a few changes. The zombie you had been fighting is now dead. The three members of your party that came late have been harassing a new zombie which was trying to escape toward the graveyard until Barakas put an end to that. Its a good distance from you, but if you did a move and a charge you could get a melee basic in.

Give me a few minutes and I'll put up a new map. I probably should have done it a while ago, but I figured this combat would be done soon.

yukonhorror
01-18-2011, 10:26 AM
use the rolls from above for a move and a charge. I think dam is the same, just not lightning dam or the effect of conductive defense. Use a minor to mark him (unless he is already marked), and keep in mind, adj allies and I have cover.

Webimpulse
01-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

I have an idea for a new thread we can all use for those periods of downtime when nothing particularly significant happens, such as during the night before we all go to sleep. This thread could be for times when our characters can talk to each other in relative privacy, so our characters can get to know each other. I think it would be a good idea to get our characters to gel together as a group. What do you guys think? With your permission I'd like to start such a thread since we're at the bottom of day 1 of our adventure. :)

Q-man
01-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Sure, that'd be fine by me. The game threads seem like they are getting pretty long, so breaking up the discussions might help keep things manageable for when you need to find some detail. I was planning on starting new game threads each extended rest, but I may need to do so more often.

Anyway, you're more than welcome to set up discussion threads whenever you feel they are appropriate.

Webimpulse
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Just letting people know that I'll most likely be out of commission for the next couple of days. I have apparently caught the zombie plague (a.k.a. the flu) and it's making it hard to think straight. :( So if you don't hear from me anytime soon, that's why. I'll be sure to stay away if I start craving human flesh. :)

Q-man
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
So we're all still hung over from new years or something? Where are all of you?

yukonhorror
02-14-2011, 02:30 PM
sorry, i was waiting to see what unfolded as soon as we went to house on gryphon hill (the place where the alchemist MIGHT have been that wasn't littered with zombies). I figured once we finished getting our equipment, we can go back to the house on haunted hill and kick some undead butt.

Webimpulse
02-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Sorry for not responding in so long...the flu really knocked me flat. :( But I'm back to good health now and will post when I can. :)

Q-man
02-15-2011, 06:15 AM
I hadn't heard from anyone but Deepthought in a while, I was awaiting some confirmation that you were headed to Gryphon Hill before putting you all there.

No worries about the flu, there's 5 of you in the group so one of you being out sick shouldn't bring things to a halt.

Q-man
02-15-2011, 06:15 AM
I hadn't heard from anyone but Deepthought in a while, I was awaiting some confirmation that you were headed to Gryphon Hill before putting you all there.

No worries about the flu, there's 5 of you in the group so one of you being out sick shouldn't bring things to a halt.

yukonhorror
03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
anything happening at the inn? does the dude bring our stuff?

Q-man
03-17-2011, 08:46 AM
I had actually managed to forget about the inn. I'll have to get something up about that, sorry.

yukonhorror
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
that's fine, as a note, if I am not posting, it is because I am waiting to see what happens. If nothing is happening (on either end), I'll try next time to take the initiative (no pun intended).