PDA

View Full Version : why is it that this is the only civil/pleasant forum on the internet?

yukonhorror
09-21-2010, 12:12 PM
I swear. Any forum I ever join up or become part of (other than here) just upsets the crud out of me. They are always so rude and bashing of your ideas, they treat you like garbage, or they are just looking for an unresolved argument.

You people are usually fair, civil, and open-minded. Why is that?

Sorry just need to vent.

Richard Littles
09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
What happened yukonhorror?

yukonhorror
09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
nothing big, just some people on an unnamed forum calling me an idiot (in so many words). I got baited into an argument, and spoke up.

It just upset me. That's all. Just wondering if this is common for other folks, and why it doesn't happen here.

Q-man
09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
If you are trying to talk people here into acting like other forums I'll start calling you names too :mad:

Although you aren't wrong, this is one of the rare mature and respectful forums out there. Just be glad you found it :)

Malruhn
09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, for one, the mods here are pretty quick to step on folks that bring up real-world stuff that may cause problems. Just mention abortion, politics or real-world religion and you get a notice pretty fast.

So that leaves us to argue about REAL stuff - like keeping alignment and the fact that wizards rule while sorcerers drool! (You big poopy-head!!)

yukonhorror
09-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Well, for one, the mods here are pretty quick to step on folks that bring up real-world stuff that may cause problems. Just mention abortion, politics or real-world religion and you get a notice pretty fast.

So that leaves us to argue about REAL stuff - like keeping alignment and the fact that wizards rule while sorcerers drool! (You big poopy-head!!)

that's a good point

Farcaster
09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
To be fair though, being a mod (or an admin) here is pretty easy. I really don't get that many reports of problems. It seems like when there is a problem, it tends to be in the chat rooms. I am glad the great 3e vs 4e debates have played themselves out though :)

Webimpulse
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
I am glad the great 3e vs 4e debates have played themselves out though :)
They ended because we all know 4e pwns 3e. ;)

(I'm just being silly, in case you couldn't tell :p )

rabkala
09-22-2010, 10:02 PM
To be fair though, being a mod (or an admin) here is pretty easy. I really don't get that many reports of problems. It seems like when there is a problem, it tends to be in the chat rooms. I am glad the great 3e vs 4e debates have played themselves out though :)

I disagree. Being a mod is a thankless task, like not being paid for an irritating customer service job.

3e rules, 4e drools! :mad:

Jane you ignorant ____! How dare you call us civil! :peace:

Farcaster
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I disagree. Being a mod is a thankless task, like not being paid for an irritating customer service job.

Not sure if you meant that facetiously or not, but I would wager that being a mod at P&PG is a lot easier than most larger forums. We just don't have that many problem accounts come up.

cplmac
09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
It helps that Farcaster has given us Mods the tools to allow us to be true Moderators. It also helps that some of the members who visit the site almost daily have spread the word that Farcaster and his Admins and Mods are active and not just people with fancy titles.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I spend some time in a handful of forums, and this one is truly the best, and most well behaved of them all... by far. Even the mods are sane, friendly, and fair. My thanks goes to Farcaster and the Mods for a job well done.

There are *two forums i can think of where everyone acts like they were possessed - just waaay angry, judgmental, and out of control.

One of these *two, see above, seems to have no moderators at all. Actually, i believe the mods in that particular site are just as bad as the members. The other, the mods all have god complexes, play favorites, and have done quite a job of turning members away from their site. When members try to explain that the heavyhandedness of the mods is extreme (proving it with evidence and links), they are kicked off of the site.

In both cases mentioned above, I love the games and the genres, but because of things being so out of control in both, there really isn't any real activity to speak of, other than the clique members.

Again, My thanks goes to Farcaster and the Mods for a job well done.

trechriron
09-23-2010, 09:46 PM
The secret Ninja Pirate squad that can teleport instantly to any location where a rude angry poster is typing from hasn't hurt either... Wait. that was a secret. Oh crap *dial tone*

SDJThorin
09-24-2010, 11:21 AM
@Trentin - SNARF!!!!! That was just too funny!

And I'm sure you'll recover from the Gaff and Ninja-To wounds LOL (hands over the QuickClot and SpeedHeal)

cplmac
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
@Trentin - SNARF!!!!! That was just too funny!

And I'm sure you'll recover from the Gaff and Ninja-To wounds LOL (hands over the QuickClot and SpeedHeal)

Oops, sorry but that damage is only able to be healed by a Cleric or Monk of no less than 20th level.

:crutch:

SDJThorin
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
:rofl:MAO!!!!!!!

Well then, what about Jedi healers or Sith Master -- either one could heal the damage :fencing:

Sascha
09-24-2010, 04:21 PM
The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

tesral
09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
It's not the only well behaved forum, but it is one of the few. I would normally say that my presence makes a difference, but generally I don't stay on forums with drama </drama>. The best that can be said is my presence means it is a low drama, high signal to noise ratio place.

I recognize the moderation style for the most part. It is the one I use; benign neglect. Most discussions are not a problem. Things generally work themselves out. Just stomp the trolls and gently lock up the sages. A heavy hand makes not for a good forum.

I have been on forums (briefly) were the moderation is like net nanny. Goodbye. Thank you I have a Mother, I don't need another one.

I am glad the great 3e vs 4e debates have played themselves out though :)

I'll start one at once. :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2010, 11:55 PM
:laugh: Uh-oh, apparently tesral is suffering the effects of the avian flu. :laugh:

...but seriously, this site compared to others is quite friendly and welcoming. I recommend folks to sigh up here all the time; whereas, I am hesitant to do so with the two site I mentioned above. Also, i am a yahoo group owner for Traveller rpg. Soon - and this is after i speak with Farcaster - i plan to bring to the attention from pnpg all Traveller fans to my group, and in return, bring all my Traveller members to pnpg. This way it's a win-win with members, and finding and/or initiating games. Again, that's after I talk with Farcaster about it.

That's how much the Mighty Arch Lich Thoth-Amon thinks of this site.

tesral
09-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Pot, kettle.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Actually, coffee does sound good this morning; i woke up as though death has passed over me. No, ...wait! I am dead. Go figure.

Note to self: Contact Farcaster later this week re: introducing my YahooGroups: Traveller RPG with pnpg, and vice versa.

Farcaster
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I recognize the moderation style for the most part. It is the one I use; benign neglect. Most discussions are not a problem. Things generally work themselves out. Just stomp the trolls and gently lock up the sages.

I like that. That's a pretty good way of describing it. You know the real moderation I have to do? Banning spam accounts. Those are the biggest problem we have.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

SDJThorin
09-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Hmm... Have you tried adding a captcha, I personally use recaptcha and it works very well for my open sites keeping auto-spammers out... others have told me that Mollom works well too.

tesral
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Captchas are hateful things. I'll manually bag a billion spammers before I install one of those on my lists.

SDJThorin
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Why?

recaptcha actually works quite well within my Drupal sites. It has a nice set of options that allow for use in specific places only and even a once you've entered it once it won't bug you again... and if you're logged in it doesn't even show up.

I'm sure it has to have something at least similar for vbulletin sites.

tesral
09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Because the are a generally unneeded interruption. Many times if they are obscure enough to fool machines they are too obscure for Humans. Third I have yet to find a single one that tells you if they are case sensitive or not. Enter something and find out.

Oh, and one more thing to break. I've had capchas that no matter what you typed didn't work.

SDJThorin
09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Ouch!

I guess I just lucked out with recaptcha on drupal, it allows the admin to decide on case or no case and it works really well for my sites -- has blocked hundreds of spam attacks so far, mostly from .ru ISPs trying to create bogus accounts and comments.

tesral
09-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I keep spam out of TrekCreative with one question. likewise my other lists. I am using moderated membership, which means I don't need moderated messages.

yukonhorror
03-04-2011, 03:13 PM
seriously. Any new forum I decide to "partake" in the conversation, get slammed as a total idiot. Maybe I am, but no need to be mean about it.

Why do I do this to myself. I need to stay here. My virtual blanket of comfort.

tesral
03-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Because spammers like the above get shut down quickly.

yukonhorror
03-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I pointed it out to farcaster. I can't remember the other mods.

Ampolitor
03-08-2011, 12:27 PM

3e rules, 4e drools! :mad:

Jane you ignorant ____! How dare you call us civil! :peace:

2nd edition BIRTHRIGHT BABY!!! BOW TO THE GORGON

andy.welbourn
03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I made the mistake of joining an anime forum last year, its the first time I have suffered so much abuse, haranguing, and derision, and even worse it came from 13 - 14 year olds :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
It's no wonder. Using such words as "derision" and "haranguing" will get you beat up with this new generation. How dare you try to acts smarty with younglings that know all the answers to the universe. You're obviously a threat. :lol:

rabkala
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Try playing playstation online games with some of these monsters. They give you hell until you curb stomp their heads, then they have the nerve to cry!

tesral
03-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Favorite sign, never been bettered: "TEENAGERS! Take advantage of your position. Move out on your own while you still know everything."

Max_Writer
03-12-2011, 12:23 AM
www.yog-sothoth.com (http://www.yog-sothoth.com) has some of most polite people in their forum as well.

Dark
03-12-2011, 09:38 AM
i've been there very friendly people.

Slipstream
03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, this forum is pretty awesome. Wish I could spend more time here... but been busy the last half a year. But a good busy.

MortonStromgal
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
I blame all of you for making this forum awesome :P