PDA

View Full Version : WoD-Style Vampires, Werewolves & 3.5

Raan_Amano82
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a preference for 3.5 D&D, and I also enjoy playing WoD occassionally. I've found that I like the vampires and werewolves of WoD better than those found in D&D.

I have two questions: 1)Does anyone have an idea of where to start with converting WoD-style vampires and werewolves to 3.5? 2)Has anyone ever done this?

DMMike
09-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Maybe try the Vampire Spawn class in Libris Mortis?

What does a WoD vampire look like?

Raan_Amano82
09-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Maybe try the Vampire Spawn class in Libris Mortis?

What does a WoD vampire look like?

Ok. I'll need to get Libris Mortis, then.

The vampires in the World of Darkness games look more or less like they did in life (in WoD's case, human), with a few exceptions. Vampires from one specific clan, for instance, suffer from serious deformities, so they look less human. Other vampires have powers to shapeshift or alter their appearance in some way. I am, of course, quoting this information from older (2nd edition WoD?) books that I have. I was more or less going for the diversity that vampires have in WoD, as opposed to 3.5, which more or less amounts to every character gets the exact same template to build from. I had a conversation last night with someone who suggested just altering templates as necessary to get the desired result. And, considering that there are plenty of 3.5 spells, most, if not all, WoD-style vampire powers should be covered somewhere.

With regards to werewolves, I was looking at adding those, as well. I like WoD's take on it, referring to the fact that werewolves actually have 5 forms that they take.

DMMike
09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Oh, yeah. Those vampires are easy to convert. Appearance isn't really a game statistic, so that's an easy fix. Changing shape/appearance - look at the 3.5 Eberron wilding-thing race for an idea of how to do that. Or just grant Alter Self 3/day as a racial, supernatural, feature. There's a sourcebook that even covers deformities - Heroes of Horror (highly recommended).

If you start altering the Vampire template, and you have players that won't be vampires, make sure to trade powers of equivalent potency. E.g. Alternate Form (might be from 3.0 only) - the entry mentions this is like the 12th level spell, so don't swap it out for something way lower or higher. On that note, the Vampire template makes a character immediately much more powerful, so you'd be safer with the gradual progression of the Vampire Spawn class.

Sneaksta
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Also, Look up a book called Monte Cook's World of Darkness. It is WoD adapted to D20.

Raan_Amano82
09-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Oh, yeah. Those vampires are easy to convert. Appearance isn't really a game statistic, so that's an easy fix. Changing shape/appearance - look at the 3.5 Eberron wilding-thing race for an idea of how to do that. Or just grant Alter Self 3/day as a racial, supernatural, feature. There's a sourcebook that even covers deformities - Heroes of Horror (highly recommended).

If you start altering the Vampire template, and you have players that won't be vampires, make sure to trade powers of equivalent potency. E.g. Alternate Form (might be from 3.0 only) - the entry mentions this is like the 12th level spell, so don't swap it out for something way lower or higher. On that note, the Vampire template makes a character immediately much more powerful, so you'd be safer with the gradual progression of the Vampire Spawn class.

Ok. I'll look into that.

Also, Look up a book called Monte Cook's World of Darkness. It is WoD adapted to D20.

Wow. You mean someone already did all the work for me? Sweet. Thanks. I'll see if I can find it.