PDA

View Full Version : Science Classes

Utgardloki
09-21-2010, 12:51 AM
My newest RPG idea is to use 4th Edition for a campaign set on Mars, inspired by John Carter, Space 1889, and Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars series. I am going with the idea that the D&D classes are best used with archaic weaponry, so there will be plenty of sword fights, et cetera. Mars has been terraformed, but a space war had destroyed civilization and the planets are just now redeveloping interplanetary travel.

What I need are classes for a "Scientific Power Source". Because I don't have a full-time staff, I don't intend to make the Scientific classes actually viable for PCs without multiclassing -- I am going to essentially conceive these as "half-finished" class to which NPCs may devote unwavering allegiance, but the PCs are going to have to multiclass.

Three ideas I have for Scientific Classes are the Scientist, the Medic, and the Engineer. Possible powers for these classes might include:

* Being able to heal other characters or grant then new saving throws (Medic),

* Being able to use medical equipment like scalpels or hypodermic needles as improvised weapons (Medic),

* Being able to apply healing surges to equipment (Engineer),

* Being able to use scientific skill to identify weaknesses and thereby inflict more damage with a weapon attack (Scientist),

I am interesting in any and all powers and abilities that might apply to a Scientific class.

yukonhorror
09-21-2010, 08:03 AM
I think the Artificer from the eberron setting is your best bet for an "Engineer"

Cleric would be a fine "medic" just make things more sciencey, versus divine.

Rmorrow
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Check out the 4e Power toolkit over at http://www.playwrite-blog.net Excelent tool constantly updated that would probally help you condense any of the information for a new class or even a powersource

Malruhn
10-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Yukonhorror did a disservice to artificers... he should have used capital letters and lots of EXCLAMATION POINTS to mention them for this role!!!!!11!!!eleventy-one!!!!1!

With only flavor-tweaking, they can be scientific-types, and can heal machinery as well as people.