PDA

View Full Version : D&D in South Bend

John Quixote
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Looking to put together a D&D campaign, preferably five to seven players. I'm seeking players who can join a weekly game and stick to it without flaking on me all the time! Now, as to the particulars:

Setting. It's called Engines & Empires (you can google it if you're curious), basically a big kitchen-sink pastiche of Tolkien, Final Fantasy, myths and fairy tales, tied together with a steampunk/gaslight/Victoriana backdrop.

System. I use the Classic D&D Game, often better known as "red box Basic/blue box Expert." If you don't know what those rules are like, check out these links:
- Labyrinth Lord (http://goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html)
- Dark Dungeons (http://darkdungeonsblog.wordpress.com/)
- Basic Fantasy (http://www.basicfantasy.org/main.html)
- Swords & Wizardry (http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/)
They're all basically the same game, with the serial numbers filed off.

Campaign. The game I intend to run on this occasion will be a low-to-mid level "sandbox" game, equal measures dungeon-crawl, city, and wilderness adventuring, with a strong preference for a party of mostly human Player Characters. Expect perhaps equal parts role-playing and combat, although both combat and interaction will likely take a backseat to exploration and puzzle-solving. (Experience, for example, is awarded mostly for exploring the map and finding secrets, somewhat for role-playing in character and sticking with your alignment, and not at all for killing monsters or taking their stuff.) The tone is apt to be 60% serious/40% goofball (I've never known a campaign to turn out any other way).

Age Group. Call it an eccentricity, but I'd prefer to game with folks more or less my own age. 20-30 is a nice round benchmark, so let's run with that.

Location. IUSB, right smack-dab in the middle of Mishawaka/South Bend. If you live in the area, you know where it is. :)

That's all I can think of right now. Post here if you're interested. As I have yet to determine a day and time, the first people who offer to join the campaign will wind up influencing when it happens!

Sidmen
09-17-2010, 04:11 AM
There are good odds that I'm interested. I'm fairly steady when I do make commitments, barring work demanding the time.

What times are you looking at for starting and ending? I work third shift 5 days a week, so odds are that I'd be working after the group gets out. It'd be best on fridays if I would be expected to come, since I do already game with a group every other saturday.

Wish I could take more time on this post, but work is demanding my attention, I'll check back with a better introduction in a bit.

John Quixote
09-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Right now, I'm looking at 5PM to 9 or 10 at the IUSB campus, and I would also prefer Fridays.

There's a chance that I might have to move the proceedings to Saturday afternoons at the Griffon game store, if that venue proves more fruitful than this website for recruiting players; but I really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case, because of what a hassle it can be to find parking downtown on weekends.

So... yeah, if things go well and I get a few more hits on this post, Fridays at five is what I'm aiming for.

Sidmen
09-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Any Chance of moving your timeframe a little earlier? I'd need to checkout at 8:00 or 8:30 at the latest to be able to make it home, get ready, and make it to work on time. So 3PM to 8PM would work best for me. (not saying you should scheduel your game around me, but if I were to play you'd need to know these things)

As for Griffon, its super easy to find parking. First, theres a parking garrage right across the street thats normally empty, if your willing to ignore the "2 hour" part of free parking. If not, literally a block west is an all-day parking lot (charges something like 1.75 - so a pittance). I know, I game there every other saturday 12-6.

Now to introductions (always best at the end of a conversation). I'm Sidney, I've only been RPing for real for about a year. Played a bit of D20, Storyteller, GURPS, Shadowrun, and Roll'N'Keep systems, so the system doesn't matter to me. I do live in Warsaw, IN - roughly an hour from south bend, which is the closest place that ever seems to run games (nothing in warsaw), So I travel. This means I need to count on 1 1/2 hours of travel time when making plans.

I work from 11PM to 7AM virtually every day of the week (my days off are quite random), so need to be home by 10PM to get around and head to work, and I'd like to eat some time too. Thus limiting when I can play to before 8PM, and after 2PM (so I can sleep).

If this doesn't mesh with your desires/plans, thats cool. Just let me know. If your flexible, shoot me a PM with your email, since I need to do weird things to access this site and its a pain, and We'll talk more.

Ferrin
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi im a michiana gamer in fact i just started a forum for michiana players specifically michianadndgroups.freeforums.org for local dms and players in the area. check it out itll help make the process of finding local players much less sucky once it gets goin. Im goin to post an ad at Griffon bookstore as well for the forum to try and generate as many members as possible.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

im interested in a game but im really only available after 830 on saturdays i work in southbend and normally get off around 8 ish on sat

Bongodave
04-19-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm interested in playing. I'm in Elkhart and can't find anyone to play with. :( 323 788 4593 Dave.

Archer
08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Are you still seeking players? Your campaign style sounds great. If you would like another player, please let me know.

Thanks.