PDA

View Full Version : I'm not going to take it anymore.

tesral
09-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I am Nerd; hear me roar. I like Star Trek, Star Wars and numerous other Science Fiction offerings. (It is SF, not SiFi) I like fantasy, wizards, unicorns and Elves. I play D&D, and I am proud of it. I build my own computers, install an operating system that is not MS/Windows and know how to use it. I can tear a laptop down to the chassis and it works when I put it back together. I play with Lego and plastic models or any other toy I care to. I think quality time with LN2 is a necessary part of life.

I also know how to work 9 to 5. I have forgotten how to do more things than the average sneering redneck or jock has ever learned. I can write in proper English, I can build a sheer panel, plumb a house, run an engine lathe, a forklift and cook among other skills. I am a trained musician. I can hold my own in conversations with PhDs and tradesmen alike. I have a 80,000 word vocabulary and I know how to use it. I am married, my wife is a fan too. I have children, I own my own home and will spend time in the basement if it suits me to do so. My Mother does not live with me. The world can take their stereotypes and shove them out the airlock with themselves.

There, I said it.

Sascha
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Tesral is Howard Beale.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
How did you figure you had an 80,000 word vocabulary? Is there some kind of test out there? If so, give us the link.

I would also agree that i have forgotten more than most have learned.

What instrument do you play?

tesral
09-10-2010, 08:52 PM
There is meter on top of your head, have someone dig around your scalp until they find it.

Violin, guitar, a bit of keyboard.

Crom on his Mountain
09-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Jocks and Rednecks are smarter than you think they are. I also have doubts about the 80,000 word vocabulary. I myself straddle the line between jock and geek, and it often amuses me when someone from one group thinks they're better than the other.

1958Fury
09-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Well said, Tesrel. I am proud of every element of my geekhood, even the parts that perpetuate stereotypes.

A friend of mine recently posted this blog (http://www.alansmith13.com/2010/09/and-knowing-is-half-battle.html) - the basic premise is that geek tried to be the new cool, and failed. The blog struck a nerve with me, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.

yukonhorror
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
note: most (if not all) PhD's are geeks.

tesral
09-11-2010, 10:22 AM
If they are smarter they are simply athletic persons that work outdoors. Every one that plays sports is not a "jock". Everyone with an outdoor profession is not a "redneck".

I like NASCAR for example, cant stand being outside.

cplmac
09-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Just because you live in the country doesn't mean you are a redneck. Just because you went to college doesn't mean that you know everything. There is a lot that the younger generations don't think that they need to learn from the older generations. Then that is why there are a lot of folks running around that have no common sense. And yes, I am willing to admit that there is plenty that even I still have to learn from tesral's generation.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-12-2010, 11:11 AM
One reality check that hit me hard so many years ago was the realization that the more i learn, the more i realize i don't know. Ouch!

tesral
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Yea, that is a truth.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Yep, it's a painful truth. My biggest gripe is that our brains aren't like our computers, allowing all information to be immediately accessible. Frustrates me when i temporarily forget something, or seem to lose an answer to something, indefinitely. Scientists and psychologists would say that everything we ever learned is still in there, but that we just misfiled the information in question.

I wouldn't mind having a BrainPal installed in my brain.

Thoth's trivia question for the day: What is a BrainPal, and where did i get the concept? Please explain with some detail. Winners get a modicum of respect lasting no more than a minute, so winners, enjoy your 1 minute of earned fame. :biggrin:

Webimpulse
09-19-2010, 01:03 PM
In terms of nerds/geeks/dorks getting stereotyped or mistreated because of their passions, I feel your pain. But I look at the bright side here: things will get better. In fact, they're getting better already.

Why? Because the nerds/geeks/dorks generation is getting older, and with age comes generational respect. Those of our generation will get jobs and advance in society. And then have families of their own that they can teach their geeky ways.

In short, it's a generational thing - when our generation is in power, we can ignore the petty insults hurled by others all we want. It may take longer than we want, but it'll happen.

Skunkape
10-22-2010, 09:35 AM
My Mother does not live with me.

Remember, it's not your Mother living with you that's a problem, it's you living with your Mother, that's the problem!:laugh:

tesral
10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Either way, no Mom in the house.

Lord.Sorasen
11-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Dammit guys I am a monster, I wrote significantly more than I intended to. I completely understand any too long didn't reads.

One problem I see with the nerd community is that people feel they need to break the stereotypes. For instance, my friend for the longest time refused to admit he would maybe be interested in Dungeons and Dragons. Why? "That's one step too far into nerd-dom for me," he told me. You must understand this guy watched Black Adder and Star Trek (both Next Generation and Deep Space 9) in their entireties, and being 19 years old he did it on line. He can recite the presidents and their years in office backwards. He's a member of Something Awful forums. So why is it such a big issue to him that he withholds some of his nerd tendencies?

The nerd community hates to admit to being what it is. It's the same with any community that is looked down upon by our primary cultures. Look on any D20 forum, and in not too much time you'll see a guy stating that "I play football in college (What? A nerd who plays football!?)" They feel a need to make it clear to people that they aren't your typical nerds. But then after a while they start to look more carefully and realize that nobody cares. It turns out nobody is your typical nerd. There are nerd models, nerd rappers (Soulja Boy, much as I dispise his music, is a good example, as he is in no way what people consider a nerd to be, and yet he enjoys anime enough to Sample the original Japanese Soundtrack to one in his albums), rich nerds, blue collar nerds, nerds of all colors, creeds, and sexes... But our vision of "nerd" is very very streamlined, and because it's so streamlined to one specific person, negative baggage attached to him is attached to everything (not being able to do grunt work, attractiveness, living with parents, unable to distinguish fantasy from reality, etc.). And we fear that by identifying ourselves as nerds we'll have to identify with everything the nerd culture seems to be about. Furthermore, we think we'll be required to match the stereotypes. You see the same thing in feminism: Women refusing to identify with feminism because they fear doing so would make them manhaters, lesbians, and white.

So, Tesral, I highly applaud your writing, for until nerds become proud, we will always be considered weak.

PS: When that friend of mine I mentioned finally did end up admitting some interest in D&D, he told he of the character he'd want: A druid, possibly a gnome druid. Tell me that that isn't the most stereotypical nerd combination possible. And I see no problem with that. And it's about time nobody did.

rabkala
11-03-2010, 08:07 PM
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

:biggrin:

Otakar
11-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Remember, it's not your Mother living with you that's a problem, it's you living with your Mother, that's the problem!:laugh:

My mother and I have an understanding. I do the recycling and she makes sure the meals are on time. And college? Well you don't get experience points for going to college. Excuse me, I have to go back to Cartoon Network. Adult Swim is on and those anime girls are HOT!

Malruhn
11-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I came out of the closet today.

Last weekend I was seen on base in a conference room when I didn't have to be on base. When my boss asked what I was doing there, I finally grabbed my banner with dice on it and planted it in the earth and sang...

"I was playing Dungeons and Dragons this weekend with some friends (okay, it was only one, but they didn't know!)."

The look of shock on my boss's face was priceless. "I thought kids gave that up after Junior High."

I just replied, "Yeah. Now, instead of pretending to be knights and wizards, they are pretending to be General Managers and Head Coaches of Fantasy Football Teams."

So, now the whole base is finding out that the Master Chief is a geek.

We need our own version of a rainbow flag, dammit!!

rabkala
11-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey, wait! What happened to don't ask, don't tell!

You take the code red!

What are yoiu doing
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't handle the truth! :eek:

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Tesral, this blood is on your hands!

tesral
11-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Dice will do.

jdbailey
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Look on any D20 forum, and in not too much time you'll see a guy stating that "I play football in college (What? A nerd who plays football!?)" They feel a need to make it clear to people that they aren't your typical nerds.

I've come at this from a couple different angles, and I think what it comes down to for me is that there's more to me (and you, and you, and YOU!) than any one label. That doesn't exclude the other labels, but you know what? I do think it kind of sucks to get just one label attached to you because it ignores the rest of who you are. Do I play RPGs and putz around with electronics? Yup (well, I've stopped electronics just 'cause I've picked up other hobbies, but I used to love it). Do I play hockey and love tripping people off the puck? Yup. Do I enjoy playing cello for a couple hours during the day? Yup. Did I have aspirations to have a career in the military? Yup. Do I like to hike and hunt in the mountains? Yup. But does this make me, quintessentially, a nerd, a jock, a musician, a jarhead, or a hick? No, not as a pinnacle trait. To raise one up above the rest, for me, is inaccurate. Sure, there are people who are predominately one trait over the rest, and that's totally fine. It's great if they embrace it too. But often we're a mix of our favorite things, and that doesn't mean any one of those individually defines us. The problem isn't with being a nerd. The problem is with saying we're only typical or atypical nerds, as if "nerd" automatically has to be my main trait just because it's one of my traits. And a lot of people do that. To use the football bit, it's easy to assume someone is an athletic nerd (or even simply trying to hide it). But as written, that denies the possibility that someone might be a nerdy athlete. If you look at the aggregate time I spend over a week, for better or worse, the majority of my free time is not spent on the nerdy things I like.

My point is that I'm not just one trait, and neither are most people. So I don't want to be seen as just one part of the whole. But I'm likewise not going to shun or deny or hide the dice and P&P things, the rib-busting things, the musical highs, the Mach 2s, and the freezer full of steak, regardless who approves or disapproves.

Malruhn
11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
To quote the best movie in all of history:

Saturday, March 24,1984.
Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois, 60062.
Dear Mr. Vernon,
We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Great movie. I just watched it again last month.

jdbailey
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Now I'm going to have to watch it again. It'll be stuck in my head til I do. :)

tesral
11-10-2010, 10:42 PM
My wife has tomorrow off. We can do fun things.

Sascha
11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
[edit: Sigh, wrong thread.]