PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4E Play by Post - Necromancy in Soldevi

Q-man
09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I haven't quite got the time to run a full campaign, but I'm eager to keep playing none the less. I figured the more casual pace of play by post would be just the thing. I'm not going to dictate a pace for the game, but I will be checking in daily.

I had planned to start at level 6, no real reason beyond liking the thought of the PC's with two utility powers available. The intention was also to have the party already know one another, probably being an established adventuring group. Thats not really required, everything could work just as well if you're all strangers.

The background the characters should have is as follows:

Having succeeded in many ventures in the past, your little band of adventurers had earned a bit of a reputation as people who can get a job done. It was only a minor surprise when you received a letter from a Lord Weathermay of a town named Soldevi. Apparently there's been signs of necromancy at work, and he fears a cult is at work performing rituals on the townsfolk's dead relatives. He offered you a heavy purse of gold if you could root out this cult and put an end to their plans.

Having recently finished your last adventure and growing weary of drinking away your rewards you agreed to help this Lord out and set off for Soldevi. The town had just barely come into sight when night fell, rather than pressing and having to rouse the innkeeper in the dead of night you chose to make camp on the road one last time. You would arrive early the next day refreshed, rather than exhausted from lack of sleep. At least that was the plan. As you were lighting the fire and pitching your tents several shadows detached from the ground and skulked toward your camp. You can't recall much of the battle, but the tactics and defenses you'd come to rely on failed you that night.

You can't say how much time has passed when you awoke in the care of Priest Talbot. He seems much relieved to see you stir, he'd never seen anyone with fever quite so bad before.

Current Party:

Deepthought : Sylvain the Willow the Dragonborn Bard
Greendrg543 : Enemere the Genasi Swordmage
Helel : Gideon the Shardmind Psion
Webimpulse : Barakas the Tiefling Avenger
yukonhorror : Krystallos the Warforged Battlemind

Helel
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I would be interested in doing this. A nice casual D&D game sounds like just the thing.

Greendrg543
09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
i have Dm'd 4e for over a year now and have played once or twice so i know the system well. I would just need some instruction on the online aspect of it, and the casual aspect of this game seems like it would be nice

Q-man
09-13-2010, 07:04 AM
So far 3 people have expressed interest; Greendrg543, Helel, and Webimpulse. Thats enough that we can get started, but its a smallish group. I was going to wait a couple more days to see if anyone else is interested, so perhaps next week we can get things started.

With play by post there will just be a big long thread where everything for the game will be posted. Everyone just stops in reads the updates then posts whatever action their character is taking. This means that the pace will be a lot slower, but at the same time you could jump into the game whenever you've got time. Obviously the more we all check in the faster the game moves, I'm not going to set any requirements on that just be considerate and don't ignore the game for a month or something. All I will ask is that you make it clear what is what in your posts, double quotes around dialog and brackets or some other marker for out of character comments; nothing too serious I just prefer not having to guess how the words were intended.

In the meantime we can use this thread to go through all the pre-game paperwork. Choosing races and classes, questions about the setting or back story, or other discussions as needed.

yukonhorror
09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Q-man,

I think you have my backstory. For the rest, warforged battlemind.

Also, what content is legal?? I figure we won't use the themes from Dark sun, but can I use the battlemind powers??

Also, could we have it hosted here on PPG?

Deepthought
09-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I would be very interested to play. I am open to almost anything but would prefer a wizard or bard. Just let me know what goes and I'll prepare backstory and details.

So far 3 people have expressed interest; Greendrg543, Helel, and Webimpulse. Thats enough that we can get started, but its a smallish group. I was going to wait a couple more days to see if anyone else is interested, so perhaps next week we can get things started.

Q-man
09-13-2010, 09:29 AM
So we have an Eberron race that wants to use Dark Sun powers while in the base 4E campaign setting? Offhand I'm inclined to allow it, as I don't see much reason fence in all the options. However, I don't yet have the Dark Sun guide yet. Not that I'd suspect you'd cheat or anything, just that I wouldn't be able to make any wort of ruling if you were creatively using the powers. So for now I have to rule out the Dark Sun options, I do plan on getting that book so once that happens we can talk about a rebuild or retraining.

It looks like we're up to 5 interested players then, which is a great number for a group. Once you guys can settle on your characters we can get started with this :).

yukonhorror
09-13-2010, 10:19 AM
actually, none of the stuff I used was from DS. Just PP and PH3. Warforged are my favorite race though. I think they'd fit well in the Dark Sun setting, but that's off topic.

So: Krystallos (Krys for short) warforged resilient battlemind.

Webimpulse
09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey there, Webimpulse reporting in. As far as characters go I have a general idea of what I want to do. I want to play someone in the Avenger class from Divine Power. I was thinking of a tiefling who worships Ioun for this avenger. I can discuss details later but hopefully everyone's cool with that idea. :biggrin:

Helel
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a character I have been waiting to use. He's of the newer classes and races if that's alright. Gideon the Shardmind Psionic. Due to his origins he talks in telepathy, is that ok with the rest of the people if he talks through telepathy alone. I might make it something in his backstory.

Greendrg543
09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
I have a Genasi Swordmage, i was thinking of using, if thats okay with the DM. It would be a shielding swordmage so we'll have some defense added, but if we need it I have a cleric on reserve too. Im using the wizard of the coast character creator if thats cool too, if not i'll set it up and send you the sheet. and Helel i'm cool with you're character talking in telepathy

Webimpulse
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
That reminds me - I also use the official WotC Character Creator, but I don't have a D&D Insider subscription (yet) so I can only make characters up to level 3. :( Anything beyond that and I'll need help modifying the sheet, most likely from someone else who has a subscription. Anyone willing to help me out with that?

Q-man
09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm ok with the telepathically speaking shardmind, seems reasonable enough considering what the class does. Just be forewarned that most NPC's won't be exited about moving rocks that seem to be messing around in their heads.

With the Swordmage and the Battlemind you'd have two defenders, which will be fine I just wanted to point it out. Since we now have a Genasi and a Warforged I'm tempted to swing the campaign into the Eberron settings. I've never run much in that setting, but it sounded like fun. I'd have to do a ton of reading since I'm not fully up to date on it, but if you guys are game for it we can give it a try.

As for the character creator I have a subscription. Sending me the save files from there of your characters would be perfect. I can give you the updates for your character past level 3 Webimpulse. Just tell me which options you'd like to take and I'll send you a PDF version of your character sheet.

I'm keeping a running tally of the group make up in the original post. Thus far here's what we have:

Deepthought : Wizard (Controller)/Bard (Leader)
Greendrg543 : Swordmage (Defender)/Cleric (Leader)
Helel : Psion (Controller)
Webimpulse : Avenger (Striker)
yukonhorror : Battlemind (Defender)

Seems like its a pretty well rounded group, every role is up there. Given that this won't be a combat heavy campaign you don't need to have the perfect fighting unit, so duplicating roles (and even classes) shouldn't cause any real trouble.

Webimpulse
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
If you wanna swing into Eberron, Q-man, keep in mind I know next to nothing about the Eberron setting (I don't have any Eberron books yet). If you're cool with that and willing to show me the ropes about it, I'd be okay with that, I'm just pointing out my lack of Eberron knowledge. As for making my character, I'll go the route you prescribed, i.e. make my level 3 Avenger and send you the file to upgrade to 6. I'll see if I can get it to you tonight. :)

Greendrg543
09-13-2010, 10:10 PM
So i created my character, Enemere the Genasi Swordmage, i leveled him to 6 but i wasn't sure what the guidelines were for the ability scores or how we were handling starting money/equipment. Also how should i send you the character sheet, i know you said to send them to you but i can't figure out how to send it in this system, should i send it to your email or what? sorry for all the questions, oh one last thing, how in depth should our back-stories be?

yukonhorror
09-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Didn't notice the split. I may alter krystallos a bit. He is more geared towards a 50/50 split (especially with respect to utilities).

And don't make it eberron on my part. The backstory I gave you would fit in any setting (was written for a forgotten realms game that never came to fruition).

Q-man
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
As for Eberron I'm no expert either. The 4E setting was the first time I gave it a look, and really I've just flipped through the books so far. If I used it it would be more of Eberron-Light until I've had a chance to actually read through it for real. There is an Eberron Wiki (http://eberron.wikia.com/) out there, it probably has all the information needed it would just be a question of which edition their facts are for.

Now, character building. I'd prefer getting WotC Character Builder saves for them, just because it gives some extra detail (like where the bonuses are from and which books your feats and powers are in). Its not a requirement though, if you don't have that just put the details into a text file or something and send me that. My e-mail address is vodobaas (at) gmail.com, so send them there.

Next, equipment. Each character gets 300 gold pieces as starting funds. That should get you all of your mundane items like food and climbing gear, and probably some spending cash left over. On top of that you'll get 15 levels of magic items, though none can be higher than level 7. So you could grab two level 4 items and a level 7 magic item, just so long as the total levels isn't above 15.

As for back stories they can be as in depth as you want them to be. The first adventure is pretty much set, so that isn't likely to change much. However, once we venture past that point I like to use the PC histories when picking the next adventure. You don't need to write a full novel about the character (however if you do so I'll be glad to read it), but a few paragraphs about his/her history and why they are out risking life and limb adventuring would be great.

yukonhorror
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
are the aug updates (Psionic power specifically) in the builder yet? I have a friend who lets me update the builder periodically, but I only do it when there is something new and fancy that I am interested in. I need to redo my magic items. I built them according to the DMG rules (one 5th, one 6th, one 7th) and 1000 gp. I sent you my changes to my utility powers, but I'll need to change the equipment too.

Q-man
09-14-2010, 08:34 AM
The Psionic Power book is not yet in the character builder. I'm hoping they push out an update with that in there soon though.

yukonhorror
09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
that's what I thought. I sent you the necessary details for my character though.

I may have mentioned this before, but umiushi's pbp game (unquiet lands, Acqua Alta) may be a good resource on logistics. The way he runs it is very nice (I am satisfied anyway).

Deepthought
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi there, so I'll be a Dragonborn Bard, i am working on the CB sheet and the background.
Sylvain the Willow is the name. I'll PM the sheet as soon as I am done.

Best Deeptought

Webimpulse
09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Sorry I'm lagging behind on getting you my character sheet and background. I promise I'll have them both to you by later tonight. :)

Helel
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Just for clarification do we just get the magical items or do we need to buy them. Just wondering sorry if it's obvious.

Q-man
09-15-2010, 05:40 AM
You just get the magic items. I'm assuming you picked them up in some previous adventure, so no reason to buy them. I realize that the starting gear I gave you is probably a bit less than you'd have had you played to 6th level, but I didn't want you guys too loaded down with equipment right away.

Greendrg543
09-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Just wanted to verify that you got my character sheet and background Q-man, and to get your thoughts on the background since it was my first in depth background for a character

Webimpulse
09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I know I already asked you this over PM/email, but is it okay if we share our character backgrounds with each other? The reason I'm asking is because if we're all supposed to know each other through several adventures together, it'd make sense for our characters to know each other's backstories. It could help with things like how we all first met each other and stuff like that. I'm not necessarily saying we should share our character sheets with each other, or share parts of our backgrounds we'd like/need to keep hidden, but if we all knew something about each other's backgrounds we'd probably gel better as a party. :)

yukonhorror
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I'll give you the short and sweet version.

Krystallos
A old female mage built me using a purple meteorite as a magical (read psionic) core as a companion, caretaker, general worker, etc... While bringing her wares (potions/scrolls/etc...) to the town, raiders (to my perception, but up to DM to say who really did it) killed her and trashed her lab. (up to DM in that, it may have not been random bandits, it may have been a "hit" set to look like a random attack, or to steal a rare item from her, or whatever). Set out in adventure mode to find the men responsible, bring them to justice, and find out why they attacked a defenseless old woman.

Characteristics: pleasant, clingy (misses having a close-friend), pursuer of justice, hard-working, protective, self-sacrificial.

Purple eyes, oak and steel body with a purple crystal at his core...

These are facts you would know and are no secret. Whether or not the bandits were previously apprehended is up to DM, but I like to give my DM's a free plot hook in long-term games.

Greendrg543
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Yukonhorror, its funny you and i have slightly similar story backgrounds

Enemere
Years ago a mining operation had an accident trapping a group of humans in the shaft. One survivor Enemere, who was badly injured game across a shrine in the mountain they were mining. It was a large boulder with a vague shape of a Humanoid figure at the top, Enemere had to kill himself to bring the one trapped inside back to life. He did so only asking the Genasi who emerged to return to his wife and child to tell them what happened. The Genasi took his name Enemere as his own and returned only to find the village the human Enemere lived in destroyed. He vowed to find who killed the humans family, now his own in a spirit connection thingy, and protect innocents.

Characteristics: Noble, selfless, slightly sarcastic (from the human), nickname: Granite Protector

Green eyes with hard brown skin, with cracks all over his body that emit the same green color.

yukonhorror
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
there are more details than what I provided, but that's the gist.

Webimpulse
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Here's an abbreviated background for Barakas, my Tiefling Avenger. This background I'm putting here is what the other characters would know.

Barakas was born into a tiefling merchant dynasty, surrounded by wealth and prestige. However, one day Barakas ran away from it all in an effort to dissolve ties with his family. When asked why, all Barakas answers is to "atone."

Barakas became an Avenger after he rescued a priestess of Ioun from a group of ruffians intent on sexually assaulting her. However, he was seriously wounded in the fight, and so the priestess treated him. All Barakas says of her after that is that the priestess, who he refuses to give the name of, taught him his purpose in life, and thus his life was worth living. She trained Barakas in combat, stealth, and everything else one needs to know to be a hidden servant of Ioun. Barakas doesn't know what became of her after the training was completed.

As far as to how to work this in with the rest of the party, I guess the easiest way was that at one point the rest of the party and Barakas shared the same target and met taking him/her down together, but that's a bit mundane. I'm not sure how to make it more interesting, but if you guys have ideas I'd be happy to hear them. :)

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Oops, I forgot Characteristics! Sorry 'bout that. Here are Barakas's:

Sullen, Forlorn, Serious, Respectful, Loyal. Basically from the characteristics the others gave, one reason Barakas sticks with the group is because they can cheer him up. :)

Helel
09-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Gideon the Psionic Shardmind

Gideon was created many years ago when the gate shattered bringing forth new life together. Gideon was apart of said life, although he did not start out as he was. He slow gained consciousness. It seemed Gideon has some past life along the way of gaining consciousness but he did not remember it for some reason. Gideon does not believes it matters. He was found by the group living in a cave as a hermit. He has perfect vocabulary through talking telepathically but limited speech through his mouth. Gideon is a loyal person to his group believing them to be his delivers. He was expressed many times he dreams of becoming part of the whole construct as the gate to protect this world even if it meant giving up his life. He is logical, yet naive at customs some times. He is kind and detests physical violence why he uses his mental powers to subdue his opponents rather than killing them. But to many, that is even worse.

Of course, not full history but you get the base of things.

Deepthought
09-16-2010, 03:40 AM
So here goes Sylvain. He was raised on a Farm by parents who did not know of his Dragonborn heritage until it started to become obvious. Still they cared for him and raised him. He asked them for all the stories, and soon he was making a living from telling stories and singing legends to those travelling by. However, they could never answer the important questions related to his past. So he set out one day to find answers to his questions. He followed a trail that his father had given him, to find an old women who had been lurking around the farm around the time of his birth to see whether there were any clues to his heritage. After failing to find her (which he still tries) he seeks to find stories, legends and rituals to get his answers. So he joined up with a band of travellers to get around the country and learn. To be elaborated...

Q-man
09-16-2010, 06:34 AM
I guess the question of sharing backgrounds is kind of moot now, but as far as that goes I was going to leave it up to you. It worked for the introduction to have you all in an established group, but if you'd prefer to RP the meeting we can do that as well.

I have character sheets for all except Gideon I think, obviously back stories are coming in as well. I'll be PMing you guys later on with any questions about your characters or back stories. You guys are going to make an interesting group; a metal man (warforged), a crystal man (shardmind), an elemental (genasi), dragon man, and a devil (tiefling). There's a certain intimidation factor in a group like that, the common folk should love you ;)

yukonhorror
09-16-2010, 07:58 AM
You guys are going to make an interesting group; a metal man (warforged), a crystal man (shardmind), an elemental (genasi), dragon man, and a devil (tiefling). There's a certain intimidation factor in a group like that, the common folk should love you ;)

read: we are going to scare the crud out of the straights

But maybe that's what brought us together. Outcasts to society. It is hard to say who'd be the best "spokesperson" of the group when being "civil".

Q-man
09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking to go with the Eberron setting just for fun. I think a few of you have already included appropriate locations and such in your character histories. If not, its no big deal. I don't know the setting well enough to be a stickler for the details, so when in doubt go with the base setting or just make it up. One way or another we'll make it work out :)

Greendrg543
09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
But maybe that's what brought us together. Outcasts to society. It is hard to say who'd be the best "spokesperson" of the group when being "civil".
I think Enemere would since he feels that all innocents should be protected and his nickname is the Granite Protector, that and he's the most human-ish looking race, but i can see the intimidation factor coming in for all of us on that one

yukonhorror
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
krys is definitely pleasant, but in terms of intimidation factor, we all have it.

Webimpulse
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
A couple of thoughts on our meeting and the intimidation factor, and how we can possibly tie them together: I know the group of us will be intimidating to most people, but perhaps that's how we got our reputation as being ones who always get the job done. We'd all be grouped together because as a party we'd be unconventional, and thus an ideal choice for those employers looking for adventurers who could think and operate "outside the box," so to speak. Thus, when an employer wants something done and conventional forces won't cut it, they'd turn to us. We'd be able to charge top dollar. :biggrin:

Somehow I'm getting the vibe that we'd be a group like in that movie The Expendables. Certainly has that same sort of premise: the toughest guys around, bound by their shared "outlaw" vibe (in terms of theme, not status, I know we wouldn't be outlaws for real), and their sense of justice. :)

Greendrg543
09-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I like you're idea on the group Weimpulse, maybe also that we're the guys people go to when no one else can get the job done, essentially we're the closers of the realm

Webimpulse
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
If we're going to go the route I suggested, we should come up with a name for ourselves. That can also serve as the campaign title if the DM so desires. Buuuut I can't think of any good names right now. Sorry :confused: but hopefully we can put our heads together for a good one!

Helel
09-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I sent it, look forward to playing with all of you.

Q-man
09-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Ok so I've got all the character sheets and I think everyone has supplied backgrounds. Assuming there aren't any other questions you guys have we ought to be just about ready to start this thing. I like the idea of naming it after the adventuring group, so I'll hold off a little bit to see what you guys come up with. Other names for the campaign are welcome as well, I'm not the best at such things.

Monday at the latest I'll get the play thread started for the game and put a link in here.

yukonhorror
09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
The Neimandfreunds. ROUGHLY translated to nobody's friend

we're not doing the pbp game here on ppg.com??? :Cry:

Q-man
09-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Of course we were doing it here. It would be kind of silly to jump to another forum for it. Put it won't be here in this thread, so I figured a link to the new thread would be helpful :p

yukonhorror
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
OOOOHHHH, I am not sure if it is still the same, but before you had to PM farcaster to form a group for you (actually you being a member, you can do it yourself).

Webimpulse
09-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I could go with calling our group the Neimandfreunds. :)

Helel
09-17-2010, 01:17 PM
That or just the Nobodies maybe The Otherworlders, or The Acursed

Greendrg543
09-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I like Neimandfreunds or The Acursed for our group name

Deepthought
09-18-2010, 04:09 AM
I like the name, and would suggest (not trying to be corrective, but, being German) we spell it Niemandsfreund, which in deed translates to Nobodys friend.
Loking forwad to starting it on Monday!

yukonhorror
09-18-2010, 07:11 AM
like I said, ROUGHLY translated :).

Q-man
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Sounds like Niemandsfreund is the favorite, with The Accursed being a close second. Assuming there are no objections I'll create the game under the name Niemandsfreund, we won't be able to change the PbP forum name but the group name can still be altered.

Webimpulse
09-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I saw and joined the Community Group you made, Q-man. :biggrin: Now, does everyone have to be part of the group before you can create the forum? If that's the case...get on it, peoples! :)

Q-man
09-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure actually. Allegedly I can create it at any time, but I can't find the link. I've sent a note to Farcaster to get it made, so hopefully it'll be setup soon.

Webimpulse
09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Much w00tage! The forum is up! It's over here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/207-Niemandsfreund

Let's get this party started! :o

yukonhorror
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
I think you have to join to "post", but I think those controls are up to Q-man also.

Q-man
09-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I thought I sent you all invites to the group? I'll go in and double check, once you've joined you ought to have free reign in there.

yukonhorror
09-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I got an invite

Greendrg543
09-20-2010, 01:00 PM
i didn't get an invite to the actual PbP area, i got one for the group but not the discussion board

Q-man
09-20-2010, 01:06 PM
I think you just need the invite to get into the group, once you're in the group you should be clear to post in the forums.