PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Play 3.5 Anymore?

JohnnyB
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been actively looking on here for a D&D 3.5 group for a while now, and can't seem to find one. There's not a lot of responses when I message people found in the Players section, and a lot of the campaign invitations are not very recent.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Where would be a good place to look? I've tried a few of the game stores around, but haven't seen any postings for 3.5. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

thursday next
09-19-2010, 03:33 PM
i feel your plight sir. when i lived in texas everyone i talked to hated 4E and played 3.5, but here it seems the opposite. we tried finding a game for a while, then just gave up and starting running one. i'd invite you to come play with us, but we're in bellevue so i don't know that you want to go that far. if you are willing to dm you'll probably have a better chance, it seems there are plenty of players who want to play 3.5. just no dms that i could find. good luck!

HaeshkaManju
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM
How do you feel about pathfinder? Personally, I love 3.5 -- and will NEVER play 4E (I tried the demo.. it blows). Pathfinder is great though -- as most people view it as 3.75. Basically 3.5 minus the really bad typos. A few changes, mostly in the direction of making classes more customizable.

JohnnyB
09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm down with Pathfinder. I've heard lots of good things from my friends, and I have the Core Rulebook and Bestiary, but I've yet to play it yet. I can't even get into a game for that, lol.

Slipstream
09-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Paizo's working on a intro box product. I think something like that, their PF Society play, and good word of mouth will help get new players interested in 3.5/Pathfinder. Just keep looking. You'll find something eventually. If not, start one and eventually you might be able to be a player.

KERMlT
10-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm currently running a 3.5 D&D campaign in Ohio. It's been going for some 2 years. We all have talked about 4.0 and it's more for the power gamer. There is also not that much teamwork since you don't have to rely on someone to heal you.

After 3.0 came out I didn't buy any 3.5 and now I have almost all of them on pdf. I stopped reading Dragon magazine since they basically only talk about 4.0 now. If I get some spare time in the winter I may try my luck in writing an adventure or two in 3.5. Ehh, we'll see.

jdbailey
11-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I have also noticed that 4e is more for the stats and power gaming, too. But I will say that, from my limited experience, we needed more teamwork to survive. Then again, that could just be because only one in the group was a power gamer and the rest of us were using trial-and-error to survive. We had to get each other out of tight spots a lot. Because of the power gaming and teamwork aspect, it severely limits what classes you can choose from. You essentially have to choose your class based on the rest of the group if you want to survive, where previous editions were a bit more forgiving than that. Back in the day, so long as you had a meat shield and a healer, you were golden and could choose whatever you wanted.

Pathfinder is my favorite these days, but I'll play 3.x all the same. It's just that, after I finally decided to try something aside from 2nd Edition, I had to choose where to sink my money. Paizo won.

bigrtallfreak
11-12-2010, 04:50 AM
I am actually also looking to find a 3.5 or pathfinder group. Or shadowrun. Or world of darkness. If you are still interested, I would be happy to chat with anyone about starting a campaign. I don't have much DM-ing experience, but at this point, I am willing to do that, just to get something started.

itfc_rob
11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
4.0 = 3.5 for videogamers. That's the way I see it - less emphasis on the social aspects of gaming, less about telling the story or playing the role and more about raising the stats. Not to say that both systems couldn't be fun in the right hands, but for what I play D&D for, I'm sticking with 3.5.

Dark
11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I've been actively looking on here for a D&D 3.5 group for a while now, and can't seem to find one. There's not a lot of responses when I message people found in the Players section, and a lot of the campaign invitations are not very recent.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Where would be a good place to look? I've tried a few of the game stores around, but haven't seen any postings for 3.5. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Every Friday evening if you were closer you would be more than welcome to join.